Author Topic: Chandler Burton's "Castle Freak"  (Read 6550 times)

Shrinedescender

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 140
Re: Chandler Burton's "Castle Freak"
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2023, 06:48:20 PM »
Great song choice. Unique trick selection makes this guy fun to watch, even if I have to sit through cheesy fantasy-themed B-roll. Nollie back lip is an underrated trick and he made it look really good on that hubba.

Vans is blowing it by not putting him on. From a marketing perspective, a queer skater with a distinct look, style, and creative vision could be a good asset for ad campaigns and colorways. It seems like he's only gonna get better and more visible as time goes on too.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2023, 07:44:57 PM »
Dolphin/forward flip out of manual at pier 7 was fucked.
The chillest1

LebowskisRug

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2023, 08:20:52 PM »
Expand Quote
If it was shot a bit closer, with VX, more fisheye, no animation, and he didn't have facial hair it would probably pass for a BA Toy Machine part that never came out.
[close]

You're just saying this because he's tall and gay lol. They don't really skate alike.

I actually think they do because they move their limbs somewhat slowly especially on flip tricks. Early BA also did more basic rail tricks like large front boards and also had a similar looking backside flip that rotated slowly and made the tall guy stomp look smooth. He definitely didn't do full cabs or nollie back lips you're right on that.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2023, 08:41:58 PM »
The face paint thing is kinda weird.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

my bad cuh

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2023, 08:48:27 PM »
i think hes secretly going for soty this year
i followed him on instagram a few months ago and i swear he drops some new project/video/something every week or so

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 81
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2023, 09:58:13 PM »
Amazing
Cocteau Twins

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2023, 10:57:13 PM »
Great song choice. Unique trick selection makes this guy fun to watch, even if I have to sit through cheesy fantasy-themed B-roll. Nollie back lip is an underrated trick and he made it look really good on that hubba.

Vans is blowing it by not putting him on. From a marketing perspective, a queer skater with a distinct look, style, and creative vision could be a good asset for ad campaigns and colorways. It seems like he's only gonna get better and more visible as time goes on too.
no the fuck it is not

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2023, 09:49:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
If it was shot a bit closer, with VX, more fisheye, no animation, and he didn't have facial hair it would probably pass for a BA Toy Machine part that never came out.
[close]

You're just saying this because he's tall and gay lol. They don't really skate alike.
[close]

I actually think they do because they move their limbs somewhat slowly especially on flip tricks. Early BA also did more basic rail tricks like large front boards and also had a similar looking backside flip that rotated slowly and made the tall guy stomp look smooth. He definitely didn't do full cabs or nollie back lips you're right on that.

I don't think they skate that similar at all, Chandler definitely compresses way more on rollaways and generally seems way more flexible and Darrell Stantony than BA
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2023, 10:55:27 AM »
In the new Thrasher he talks about not making much money off skating, basically just There board royalties.  Gets pretty vocal about how big companies in skating will push queer skaters for specific projects but not support them consistently.  He also goes on about how much he loves Monster and wants them to put him on. 

Not that I disagree or judge him for saying any of that.  He’s arguably the best fully “out” skater right now and deserves to be taken care of as long as he’s pushing himself the way he has been.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2023, 11:00:06 AM »
Burton looks insanely good on board! I was super hyped throughout the part - I'd love to see more of him <3

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2023, 12:59:02 PM »
Dude does some beautiful cabs in this part. I saw comments on YT that said he's like BA mixed with Chris Senn and I can definitely see that.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2023, 01:22:19 PM »
Cool, no one asked you.

CurbyPuckit

• Rep: -40
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2023, 04:51:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
no the fuck it is not
amen

LebowskisRug

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2023, 05:54:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I don't think they skate that similar at all, Chandler definitely compresses way more on rollaways and generally seems way more flexible and Darrell Stantony than BA

Okay, that's fine. You don't have to agree I'm just shooting the shit here nothing objective about that.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2023, 06:17:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Okay, that's fine. You don't have to agree I'm just shooting the shit here nothing objective about that.

Nah for sure. I think the no guard haircut and some of the fits for sure look like Sheep/Welcome to Hell era BA. Also, I’d rather not end up pissing either of them off considering they both look like they're 6’4”.

That said I’m mainly responding cause I wanna say that just cause I don’t agree doesn’t mean I’m trying to come off like I’m attacking you.

Chandler (as well as a wholllllllle bunch of other people on Vans pro-flow) also definitely deserves to be getting hooked the fuck up. Wonder how they pay for one off colorways for people that aren’t on the team - ie Cher, Jerry/Sci-Fi, etc.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 09:44:33 PM by Allen. »
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2023, 06:59:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Cool, no one asked you.

Uh oh!  Face paint tough guy alert! 🚨
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -270
  • Bret Hart
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2023, 11:57:18 PM »
Manny forward flip was gross. Dude skates like he sucks but I seen him rip IRL which made me like him way more

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2023, 03:49:20 AM »

Also, he's on DLX umbrella. It'll not take longer for vans give him a contract.

IpathCats

« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2023, 05:35:49 AM »
Manny forward flip was gross. Dude skates like he sucks but I seen him rip IRL which made me like him way more

I think it would have been worse if he landed it clean.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2023, 07:01:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it would have been worse if he landed it clean.

Lol, dude skates like he sucks. I love that.

but Chandlers a new favorite. I really enjoy his approach

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2023, 07:57:50 AM »
Part was great, but I felt like the camerawork could be improved in some clips. I've always liked the tall guy stomp in his style, good to see him progress so much.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2023, 08:21:26 AM »
interesting the only flip tricks he actually does on that whole part is those dolphins and 1 HUGE bs flip!
A LOT of HUGE drops for 1 part! haha. prayin for this dudes knees
sick part i gotta watch it with the music on again sounds like osmething id really like
ONTARIO CANADA

LebowskisRug

« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2023, 09:34:09 AM »
Rewatching this and his older footage and I actually think this really doesn't compare or do him justice. There's solid stuff for sure, but he's got a better rail and ledge game than this lets on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u231yii5YE

Most of it is the filming of the bigger stuff and probably too many drops.

dill8849

• Rep: -41
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2023, 09:50:12 AM »

This guy doesn't skate like Brian Anderson at all.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2023, 09:57:23 AM »
Here's the interview about the part: https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/chandler-burton-on-makeup-monster-and-making-a-living/

It sucks he's getting only royalties from There/DLX. I hope vans really give him a contract after this part. I'm a big fan.

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 156
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2023, 10:08:56 AM »
Saw this dude and Gerwer roll up and trying tricks in front of us when we where having burgers and beers visiting Copenhagen open (the bs flip over the street) - wondered where the clip would end up. I did poch the clip and posted on my Insta last summer 😄

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2023, 10:39:54 AM »
Saw this dude and Gerwer roll up and trying tricks in front of us when we where having burgers and beers visiting Copenhagen open (the bs flip over the street) - wondered where the clip would end up. I did poch the clip and posted on my Insta last summer 😄

The Gerwer hand-slap makes the clip.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

DVstorm_chaser

• Rep: 9
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2023, 10:45:42 AM »
Here's the interview about the part: https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/chandler-burton-on-makeup-monster-and-making-a-living/

It sucks he's getting only royalties from There/DLX. I hope vans really give him a contract after this part. I'm a big fan.

He deserves it. Blown away by how many people "ride" for DLX brands and do not get paid. Pretty sad. Smart of Chandler to put this part out under his own name.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2023, 10:50:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He deserves it. Blown away by how many people "ride" for DLX brands and do not get paid. Pretty sad. Smart of Chandler to put this part out under his own name.
I wonder how many Real Ams and Pros receive the same treatment. And their roster is huge

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2023, 10:53:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've said this before, but my friend occasionally works with a known DLX pro at her job doing fancy coffee catering. A guy with a board on a big DLX brand.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021