Author Topic: Getting off nicotine  (Read 1046 times)

srfoden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Getting off nicotine
« on: November 10, 2023, 08:01:30 PM »
Anyone got any advice for getting off nicotine. I saw there is a sobriety post on here and just thought I would throw it out there. I got off of everything except nicotine. I switched from cigs to zyns cause I did the math and I consume less nicotine if I do zyns. My one problem is I just have a problem of wanting to get domed. I really don’t do much nicotine and I only wanna get buzzed like a few times a day. But I just don’t know how to tell myself I don’t wanna get buzzed. I know it’s a small problem, but I’ve been on the nic everyday for like 8 years and that’s thousands of dollars and I was off it once for six days and felt great. I have no problem going through withdrawals I just need to figure out a way to tell myself I don’t wanna get domed anymore

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
Re: Getting off nicotine
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 11:35:09 PM »
I smoked for 10 years and was able to quit. It's been 10 years since.  I wanted to quit years before I did but it only took me a couple of weeks to quit and then I never smoked ever again. 

My method was: figure out the parts of your day when you need nicotine.  For me it was waking up, with coffee, after meals, getting in the car, with alcohol, etc. Then focus on quitting one of those nicotine sessions each day.  First I had my coffee with no cigarette.  Did that for a couple days.  Then I didn't smoke after lunch.  Then all the meals.  Eventually I quit all of those instances and that was it.

It sounds easier typed out then it actually was.   Quitting nicotine is a mind game that you have to win against yourself.  Look at all the people who get through everyday without any nicotine.  The only reason you need it is because you haven't told yourself you will never smoke again.  If you're not committed the convo in your head will eventually lead to nicotine again.  Make the decision to stop and don't let the craving convince yourself with petty reasons to give in.  Good luck! Hope that helps

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 850
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 12:22:19 AM »

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -31
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2023, 06:34:17 AM »
When I quit chewing, I used nicotine gum. Slowly dosed down, and then started cutting it with regular gum. Now you can catch me chewing gum in stressful situations.

But, at the end of the day, you have to be mentally prepared to quit, and just do it. Mind over matter!

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -484
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2023, 09:01:37 AM »
https://youtu.be/uXs-zPc63kM?feature=shared

Gotta quit too. But now I’m busy with quiting weed. One demon at a time. Though some say it’s best to quit all at once. But I’m afraid of that. Social media/YouTube is a bitch too. After stoping weed I kinda switched my addiction to random YouTube vids all evening. At least it doesn’t harm your lungs and you learn stuff   ::)
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2023, 11:28:31 AM »
Cold turkey in 2006 is how I quit after 13 years of pack a day. Just got sick and tired of being winded after warming up skating.

Now, I can’t stand the smell of second hand smoke and smokers clothing.

Mentally, I pretended I had never smoked and didn’t know anything about ever have smoked. That is what I did to quit. I played dumb about smoking.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 658
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2023, 01:01:15 PM »
Quitting is hard. It takes a while for your body to get out of the routine of wanting a cigarette after a meal or after a session at the park, but the desire fades.

I wish I had better advice on the process of quitting, but I can only state the obvious of not having cigarettes around and not being around people who will give you a cigarette makes it a bit easier.

For me, the three biggest rewards of no longer being a smoker are: 1 dentist visits post quitting are much easier 2 being able to go upstairs without gasping for air is nice 3 I have a lot more money for other things. 

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2023, 11:21:14 PM »
I have no recipe, I just stopped buying cigarettes at some point and that was it. Don‘t buy, don‘t have them in the household, avoid smokers or being around smokers as long as you have the craving and eventually, the smoke will disgust you and you will be asking yourself how you could inflict this shit upon your body for so long.

Watch some stuff on youtube about what this stuff does to your health. It‘s one of the dumbest things to do really. But I did it for 30 years as well ;-)

You got this bro, smoking sucks, you can only benefit from quitting.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Clone1984

• Rep: 6
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2023, 12:28:26 AM »
Patch it up. Haven't had nicotine in 3 years. Quitting smoking stuff in general is harder. Sunflower seeds help. Gum. Drink lots of water. Occasionally I'll have something non tobacco related to smoke but quitting nicotine has greatly improved my quality of life. Now if I can quit weed or herbs. Carbon monoxide is carbon monoxide. Shrug. It gets better though. Don't give up

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2023, 11:54:50 AM »
Alright this is gonna sound ridiculous but this is the best analogy I have, quitting is a lot like a tough break up...

I was smoking for about 4 years and quit when I started university, similar to a break up the first few days are the worst (due to your system clearing the nicotine, all the receptors in the brain are as very starved). Once those days pass it docent just go away, the cravings will still be there they just get more mellow and manageable as life goes on. Similar to a breakup you have to find new hobbies, skate as much as you can, surround yourself with friends, etc., because it helps to cope and distract.
I have been off nicotine for about 14 months now, I still know I like/miss it and I have some cravings but they are so easy to manage because they just aren't nearly as strong/effective anymore, I found its exactly like missing an ex as time goes by, it sucked at first and some feelings are still there but they just don't bother you nearly as much anymore.

Quitting taught me a lot about myself, it was a great opportunity for me to grow as a person. Cold turkey worked the best for me personally (made sense because when you quit you are just essentially starving nicotine receptors in your brain til they go away), it probably made those first 2 weeks a lot harder but I think it got me over the worst of the cravings much faster.

However you go about it, best of luck, hope this helps!

doyle

• Rep: 212
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2023, 12:11:23 PM »
I smoked for 5 or 6 years, at times up to two packs a day. I tried vapes, gum, patch, chew, herbal cigs, pretty much everything I could to get off them, but all the nicotine replacers did for me was keep me addicted and then I'd cave and buy a pack when I was drunk.

Ended up quitting cold turkey for a bet, but I mostly just REALLY wanted to quit. I got lucky and got a nasty flu the day that the bet started, and I also got drunk and smoked a LOT the night before quitting. Being sick definitely helped the first couple days, and I also stayed off booze for the first 2 or 3 months because I knew I would definitely smoke if I got drunk.

Then after a month or two it was just breaking the habits that were the toughest - first smoke of the day with a coffee, sitting in traffic, filming skating, any time I'm bored, etc, but it was basically just mind over matter. The first time drinking heavily was the hardest, for sure, but if you can get through those first couple months, it does get easier.

I slipped up towards the beginning a couple of times, had a few cigs here and there that lead back to full time smoking for a few months, then quit again. I also got hooked on vapes at the start of the pandemic (after years with 0 nicotine) which was just as difficult to quit, so I wouldn't recommend that one at all.

Top tips would be to just try to quit cold turkey (no matter what your mind tells you, it IS possible), don't be hard on yourself if you do end up failing to quit (just try again!), and just try keep busy whenever you're really craving. It is hard as fuck to quit, and the temptation never really goes away, but stay with it and it is possible. ~2 years off vaping and ~6 years off cigarettes for me.

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 216
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2023, 01:55:58 PM »
It’s fucking hard. Took me so many tries to finally do it. Not walking up stairs or talking on the phone while walking made me quit in the end.
As stupid as it sounds: just don’t do it. Avoid all situations you’d usually smoke for a couple of weeks/months. Let everyone know, you quite, so it makes you look more stupid, when you relapse. Take someone with you, when you go out partying, who keeps an eye on you for not smoking.

Count the days you manage without smoking.

You can do this!

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2023, 04:49:28 AM »
Quit one day after saying I’m done & went cold. Threw em out, chew gum, write a list of the things you can buy with that would be cigarette money. When the urge comes, say, I know you’re there but not here to help me. Urges WILL GO AWAY. 15 minute rule. Delay the urge, go another 15, see if it’s there.

YOU WILL QUIT!

Good luck, mate.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 583
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2023, 04:43:05 AM »
I liked the awful minty nicotine spray for quitting. It’s somehow both gross and wonderful. It worked well enough to stop the cravings, and it was tasted just bad enough that I seemed to use a little less every day without actually trying. Other than that, like the others have said, avoid smokers, spots where you’d smoke a lot, and don’t get sufficiently shitfaced to make bad decisions and start smoking again. Good luck!
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

mrselfdestruct

• Rep: 9
  • fresh
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2023, 06:35:52 AM »
i am 18 and refuse to quit the ciggies. prolly will when im old and life is just harder but ive been smoking a pack a day for 4 years now. i hate how expensive it is and how i have to go to a certain place to get them but otherwise i just love em.
Mrs Elf is a pretty cool name.

And Mrs Elf destructing is even cooler.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2023, 10:42:00 AM »
i am 18 and refuse to quit the ciggies. prolly will when im old and life is just harder but ive been smoking a pack a day for 4 years now. i hate how expensive it is and how i have to go to a certain place to get them but otherwise i just love em.
That's how we all felt at the beginning.

I once said to a person who told me that 9 out 10 smokers died of cancer, that 10 out of 10 people die.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2023, 09:08:37 PM »
https://youtu.be/uXs-zPc63kM?si=ywXOFSiNTa4WLddX

Haven‘t watched this particular video because I don‘t smoke anymore but usually Huberman has a few tools you can use, if you can stomach longwinded scientific explanations.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2023, 03:30:01 AM »
Anyone got any advice for getting off nicotine. I saw there is a sobriety post on here and just thought I would throw it out there. I got off of everything except nicotine. I switched from cigs to zyns cause I did the math and I consume less nicotine if I do zyns. My one problem is I just have a problem of wanting to get domed. I really don’t do much nicotine and I only wanna get buzzed like a few times a day. But I just don’t know how to tell myself I don’t wanna get buzzed. I know it’s a small problem, but I’ve been on the nic everyday for like 8 years and that’s thousands of dollars and I was off it once for six days and felt great. I have no problem going through withdrawals I just need to figure out a way to tell myself I don’t wanna get domed anymore

I picked up cigs in my early 20’s and thought I could quit and it wasn’t easy. After trying to quit a dozen times, I started chewing double mint gum. Tons of it. At some point I just stopped smoking and got myself a sugar problem.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2023, 07:20:44 AM »
I switched from butts to Juul
Then from Juul to
Juul and butts because I moved into a smoking house

I'm on the nicotrol inhaler and gum occasionally doing Juul or smokes.

I been addicted since the womb in 78

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2023, 07:41:55 AM »
The nicotrol inhaler is good tho. It does work to give you distance from the smoke so you have a running chance.

I go schizo for the first few weeks of zero nicotine. It's fuckin fucked.

I have no choice today but not to smoke because I'm flat busted for the next week.

I'm going to be bussing tables eating at the shelter and hopping into dumpsters till Friday
(A)pl(E)

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2023, 09:15:48 PM »

Look up COPD and ask yourself if this is something you can deal with if you live another 50+ years. People always think that they will die of lung cancer, but if you don’t COPD will be waiting there for you. You can’t breathe w/o an oxygen tank.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2023, 07:59:30 AM »
I beg all young Pals to plz quit for me.

I luv you Andi want you to live free and healthy.

Why be a slave to big tobacco?

I was born addicted to nicotine.

When my brother and I were kids we drew pipes and cigarettes in every single children's book characters face. When we jumped on the couch we would do flips and then go " I think I broke a cigarette ! It was one of our weird games.
I started smoking smoking full time in by the 5th grade.
I would run outside to smoke between classes in all thee years of Jr high.
When I went to highschool I'd usually skip after visiting the butt line.

I smuggled thousands of smokes into the Eccf via work release. Becoming a well liked convict which was kinda cool actually.

I regret it all tho.

Quit24
(A)pl(E)

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2023, 12:15:19 PM »
Quit for five years after smoking for ten years, but started again earlier this year, around January, due to dealing with an overwhelmingly stressful life event. I was so on edge, asked this random person I saw smoking to bum me a cigarette, and after finishing it I went straight to the store and bought a pack. Been smoking like a pack a day ever since. I swear after starting again though I get like a throat infection like every one or two months. Currently have one right now and it sucks. I have a sore gravelly throat, I’m coughing up phlegm every few minutes, etc. That and plus I can really feel smoking making me a lot more sluggish and out of breath easier when skating, which I don’t like (not sure how I skated while smoking back in the day, it definitely wasn’t as bad.) It’s because of all that that I’m deciding to quit again. I was already in the process of weening off and I went from smoking a pack a day to just a few here n there for the last few days, and yesterday was the first full day I didn’t have one at all. Currently on day two, I have a throat infection so I’m a bit sick so I can’t tell if what I’m dealing with right now are symptoms of quitting vs symptoms of just being sick, but I will say my cravings for a cigarette are at a high right now, moreso than day one. I’m just chillin at home trying to not think about it though. I don’t really remember much from the first time I quit but I remember it being not TOO bad and I remember after a handful of days it got pretty easy. Just need to make it to day five and I think I’ll be good.

Sincerity

• Rep: 6
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2023, 07:51:41 PM »
I smoked for over 20 years. To quit, I went on Wellbutrin for 6 weeks and the nicotine patch for as long as the instructions suggested. I didn't really want to quit because smoking is something I enjoyed. Instead, I resigned myself to quitting based on all of the likely negative health consequences.

After the initial quitting hurdle, I learned a lot about how I'd used cigarettes as a coping mechanism, especially for social anxiety. Learning how to deal with situations without a cigarette was hard, took years, and is still something I deal with, but each major event you make it through without having to resort to a cigarette builds a more compelling body of evidence that you don't need them.

Mr. Pickles

• Rep: 39
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2023, 07:38:21 AM »
Nicorette lozenges did it for me. Did the whole step down dosage process. Got hooked on them for a minute but been nicotine free for a decade. Someone gave me a Zyn to try the other day and I wanted to puke after 10 minutes.

Good luck!

mrselfdestruct

• fresh
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2023, 05:24:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That's how we all felt at the beginning.

I once said to a person who told me that 9 out 10 smokers died of cancer, that 10 out of 10 people die.
10 out of 10 people die *lights marlboro black*

mrselfdestruct

• fresh
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2023, 05:28:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Look up COPD and ask yourself if this is something you can deal with if you live another 50+ years. People always think that they will die of lung cancer, but if you don’t COPD will be waiting there for you. You can’t breathe w/o an oxygen tank.
sadly i know all of this shit and still do not care. 18 year old mindset and its stupid. when i was in 5th grade i begged my dad to quit smoking by writing an essay and doing the math of how much he spent annually. he left me when i turned 18 @fuckthatguy