Author Topic: Slap Book Club: Like Reading Rainbow but with Sk8ers  (Read 3079 times)

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
Re: Slap Book Club
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2023, 07:30:53 AM »
It seems like Blood Meridian is the first on our list. I'm so down for Vonnegut to be the next choice. Thanks @Deputy Wendell  & @childhood for consistently being true Brahjes

In case you're legally illiterate like me: here's the unabridged first half of the audiobook. for your hour-long commute (also like me)

https://youtu.be/sE12km0BvRQ

Let's say have first chapter read by Wednesday, February 15? Too much time? Not enough?

I’d recommend a dedicated post for the book and update with the Chapter number as you advance

This is a good idea but how u do dat? Please show me the way, Dark Man of Slap Woods 
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2023, 09:05:11 AM »
I'm in for Blood Meridian. Although I'm about to take a month long vacation on a desert island so I will probably have it finished within like 7 days
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2023, 09:12:26 AM »

Let's say have first chapter read by Wednesday, February 15? Too much time? Not enough?

Expand Quote

I’d recommend a dedicated post for the book and update with the Chapter number as you advance
[close]

This is a good idea but how u do dat? Please show me the way, Dark Man of Slap Woods

Ok let’s do that.  Chapter one by the 15th.  We can adjust as necessary so we don’t have too many people either out in front waiting or dragging behind.  Those that already read it can tell the rest of us what the hell is going on.

I’d also like to have that explained @Atiba Applebum.  Or if you’d rather just make it, that’d be fine too,

I’m excited.  Talk to ya’ll in ~2 weeks and maybe we’ll all learn some shit… and see who didn’t do their homework.  👀
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2023, 09:24:05 AM »
Can you do spoiler things on here? On some websites you can black out certain text and then it is revealed when you hover your mouse over it. Could be useful for this thread...

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2023, 09:33:33 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ok let’s do that.  Chapter one by the 15th.  We can adjust as necessary so we don’t have too many people either out in front waiting or dragging behind.  Those that already read it can tell the rest of us what the hell is going on.

I’d also like to have that explained @Atiba Applebum.  Or if you’d rather just make it, that’d be fine too,

I’m excited.  Talk to ya’ll in ~2 weeks and maybe we’ll all learn some shit… and see who didn’t do their homework.  👀

copy that, on all of the above

funny thing is, out of all of McCarthy's books on my shelf, it's probably been the longest since i read Blood Meridian. it was actually on my reading list for my qualifying exams (which i finished back in 2015), so i can...uh...cheat a bit, if i can't keep up with the reading, because i have a few pages of notes from that reading...ha. also, we're just finishing Willa Cather's The Professor's House in the class i'm teaching right now, and the "Cliff People" on the "Blue Mesa" in that are based on the Anasazi, which play a part in Blood Meridian...i love when seemingly unrelated stuff overlaps in cool ways...

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2023, 09:36:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

copy that, on all of the above

funny thing is, out of all of McCarthy's books on my shelf, it's probably been the longest since i read Blood Meridian. it was actually on my reading list for my qualifying exams (which i finished back in 2015), so i can...uh...cheat a bit, if i can't keep up with the reading, because i have a few pages of notes from that reading...ha. also, we're just finishing Willa Cather's The Professor's House in the class i'm teaching right now, and the "Cliff People" on the "Blue Mesa" in that are based on the Anasazi, which play a part in Blood Meridian...i love when seemingly unrelated stuff overlaps in cool ways...

You can make a thread and I believe the OP can edit the title as needed like they do for each new Heck Ride interview

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2023, 11:16:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Im totally down for that.

Currently Im reading 2 books, a biography on Wernher Von Braun and Beyond the God Particle by Leon Lederman
[close]

Care/ dare to share about Beyond the God Particle? I love quantum physics.
Its pretty good so far. So far Lederman is introducing the concept of the Higgs Boson and the LHC in simple terms that isnt too complex. Whats interesting was how the US was already building a particle accelerator much larger than the one at CERN but canceled the contruction cuz of some bullshit congressional spending.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2023, 12:29:21 PM »
Stoked on this. Yeah 15th is cool. Gonna sneaky print it off at work tomorrow

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2023, 09:35:19 PM »
Blood Meridian, Feb 15, copy that

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2023, 09:42:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Advice Not Given: A Guide To Getting Over Yourself by Mark Epstein (Epstein didn't kill himself) changed my life. It's written by an American psychologist who studied Buddhism for decades. It blends western psychology and traditional Buddhist ideals and goes deep into the Eightfold Path while making it palatable for Westerners and first timers interested in Buddhism.

I highly recommend it for anyone interested in mindfulness and traditional Buddhist beliefs.
[close]

It’s fiction, but you might enjoy “When I’m Gone, Look for Me In the East”.  It’s about two brothers in Mongolia tasked with finding the reincarnated spirit of a teacher

Will definitely check it out. Thanks for the recommendation :)

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2023, 01:05:30 PM »
Just flipped through my copy, Chapter 1 is only 17 pages.  To end of chapter 2 is 30 pages.  I say we read chapters 1 and 2.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2023, 07:57:56 PM »
Yeah I was gonna say I mean we probably all read differently but these chapters are tiny

Dude the book’s like gta type shit, or red dead redemption I should say
listen to cosmic psychos

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2023, 08:17:35 PM »
Buy the book or check it out from a library if you can/are financially able.  Both could use your support. 

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2023, 02:30:36 PM »
Just a reminder that this is starting in a few days.

Be sure to get started reading about the kid, Judge Holden, and the wacky shenanigans they get up to.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -513
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2023, 03:17:17 PM »
I’m in, just so the next time someone calls me stupid on here I can be like “oh yeah? If I’m so stupid then explain why I’m an active participant in the SLAP book club?!?!”

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2023, 04:31:26 PM »
I personally think you should do White Noise first considering a big catalyst in the plot is literally happening in Ohio right now like it does in the Ohio of the book

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2023, 04:56:45 PM »
Absolutely down to do White Noise next after BM, I've read that book a ton of times. Yeah that whole Ohio situation is disgusting and would be great for discussion.

I also wanted to suggest doing Galapagos at some point. It's a Vonnegut book with some science fiction aspects, and I feel like it doesn't get as much love as some of his other works.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2023, 05:38:35 PM »
What’s White Noise about?

If anyone wants to read something non-fiction, I’m also reading the new Michael Malice book White Pill which is a really well-written history of the USSR. 

« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 05:51:03 PM by SneakySecrets »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2023, 05:52:56 PM »
Absolutely down to do White Noise next after BM, I've read that book a ton of times. Yeah that whole Ohio situation is disgusting and would be great for discussion.

I also wanted to suggest doing Galapagos at some point. It's a Vonnegut book with some science fiction aspects, and I feel like it doesn't get as much love as some of his other works.

I’ll check that out.   I think I tend to like the deep cuts of KV better than the hits

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2023, 10:44:18 PM »

Fucking love that book, 100% down.

I’m in on BM as well, heard a bunch about it while lifting the BtR-thread, got me interested.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
Re: Slap Book Club: Blood Meridian, Chapters 1+2
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2023, 08:13:10 AM »
I just read Blood Meridian a month ago so I won't read it again but I'm in for the next book.

White Noise seems cool, never read it.

I'm currently reading Jez Usbourne's favorite book Mr. Nice... it's so stupid but mildy entertaining.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2023, 09:16:56 PM »
What’s White Noise about?

If anyone wants to read something non-fiction, I’m also reading the new Michael Malice book White Pill which is a really well-written history of the USSR.

White Noise is mostly about this middle aged college professor who teaches Hitler studies & becomes obsessed with death and his own mortality.

But there's also a major subplot that weirdly mirrors that recent train derailment crisis that just happened in Ohio https://www.levernews.com/rail-companies-blocked-safety-rules-before-ohio-derailment/

There's a Noah Baumbach film adaptation of it that just came out on netflix too, but I haven't watched it yet.

TBH I first got interested in the book cause it's referenced in this Bright Eyes song I really like:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbZ9w_iPjeg

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 158
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2023, 04:04:26 PM »
I might need a week to catch up with y’all but I really wanna read BM, been on my list a while.  This is a good idea.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2023, 05:59:19 AM »
Gonna make a proper post when I finish up work for the day, thought it'd be cool to start it off with the original NYTimes review from when it was first released though

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/04/28/books/blood-meridian-by-cormac-mccarthy.html

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -513
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2023, 05:42:46 PM »
What happened to book club?  So far this book reminds me of a Jim Thompson x Stephen king (dark tower) collabo.  I’ve not read any McCarthy before, looking forward to the rest.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2023, 09:57:09 AM »
You guys are in for a treat 'Blood Meridian' is high up there. When you contrast the prose style with 'The Road' it's amazing that they were written by the same person.

quaintly

• Rep: 10
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2023, 06:18:49 PM »
This is such a good idea . I’m heading down to the library now . I’ve always wanted to read this .

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2023, 09:09:35 PM »
Shit I'm a couple years off this novel but I think I got about halfway before life detracted me but sounds like time to revisit. Shit was sick

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2023, 03:13:14 PM »
Alright I guess I'll start. This is my second round with BM but I'll try to limit it to the first two chapters.

What's truly amazing to me with this book and what makes it so absorbing to me is how McCarthy manages to create the impression that what happens is both completely arbitrary and utterly inevitable. Fate and chance become one. The kid appears to be a totally random character who stumbles from one arbitrary fight into another like he's barely even there, drifting through the hellscape of McCarthy's Southeast as insubstantial as dust, meeting other nameless and largely faceless men who spontaneously become either his friends or his mortal enemies for no particularly good reason. This is reminiscent of ancient Greek and Roman epic in a way, but the Gods who direct stuff there remain completely invisible here, creating this sense of random inevitability. It's like watching a play unfold for which there's no script, but everything that happens is predetermined anyway.

I love how McCarthy then uses the inscrutable nature of this world he's created to make Judge Holden stand out against it like some sort of demigod. Against the kid's face-and aimless drifting, Holden has a name and a purpose from the start and comes into view pursuing a clear course of action - spreading chaos by slandering a preacher and getting him killed, and thereby mocking the idea of God's existence in a world such as this as absurd. Yet the ability to pull this off positions Holden himself as a potentially supernatural (if demonic) force. So once again there's this sense of existentialist contradiction built into the story that chimes with the combination of fate and chance: God does not exist, but the devil well might.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys thought of it, let's get this ball rolling!   

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2023, 10:30:16 PM »
i dropped the ball, went on a vacation to a super rural area and haven't been able to pick up a copy... once i get back to the city ill catch up with everyone on blood meridian