Author Topic: XTREME VIG Overlay for any HD Camera  (Read 2785 times)

Jordan Wiens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
XTREME VIG Overlay for any HD Camera
« on: March 30, 2019, 04:45:27 PM »
If you're sick of submitted clips looking out of place in your videos or you just want to spice up your soft or vig-less DSLR footage, I made an overlay based on existing HPX170/Century Xtreme fisheye footage. Don't just slap a black circle and call it a day, try this and let me know what you think. I don't film HD anymore for skating (even though I do own an A7Rii and 8-15mm) but I thought this would be helpful.

You can fully edit the .PSD file to add more or less of the vignetting in the footage. I've made it so there's slightly more in the top left corner but that's just my preference. Also feel free to darken, blur, desaturate or even saturate the vignetting to match your footage (there are some subtle blues and oranges). The file is 4K ready but I've provided 1080p and 720p .PNG files as well.

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ir3ca2prza8jbxc/XTREMEVIG.zip?dl=0

As for application, here's how you do it. Will work in any NLE.

You'll want to put two copies of the fisheye footage, one above the other.

On the bottom layer, you'll change the Blending Mode to Darken.

On the top layer, you'll want to uncheck the stopwatch (keyframe) and change the Opacity to 75% (or experiment).

Make sure if you are using a lens with vignetting to play with the zoom in post. I had to use 103% Scale for my clip.

You can very well just use one layer and no do any blend modes or opacity and call it a day, but I think this is the closest look you are going to get to the light of the clip affecting the colour of the vignetting as it does in the real deal. If you look at the tree in the top left in the last clip, you'll notice it looks different when moving past it. Might just be fast enough in an edit to get tricked. If you want to complete the look make sure to colour correct the footage to match the Panasonic footage in your timeline and add some bass to the audio.

Here's a quick park clip from 2015 as an example. Have fun!

If a VX1000/MK1 overlay would be interesting for HD 4:3 clips, let me know and I can give it a shot.

*I used user "doyle" aka Alex Doyle's footage for reference when making this.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

mongopushingmallgraber

• Rep: 31
    • Voicemail avatar image
Re: XTREME VIG Overlay for any HD Camera
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 02:45:10 PM »
Yo this is cool as fuck, idk if ill ever use it but shout outs to you for this.

green

• Rep: 12
    • ig avatar image
Re: XTREME VIG Overlay for any HD Camera
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 03:45:11 AM »
Thanks for this one, and great work on the how-to guide.

I just messed with it a bit and found a way to fake the vig's light interaction in an even more convincing way–

a quick breakdown:

first you have your footage + initial color correction at the bottom. V3 is where you'll wanna apply an additional adjustment layer to blur and desaturate underneath the vig. apply a circular mask and invert it so it only blurs the corners, like so:

Then you'll apply two layers of the vig PNG – the bottom set to 'Difference' blend mode at 100% opacity, then 'Darken' at 100% opacity on top.
The third vig layer is an inverted white version set to 'Subtract' at 21% opacity, which you can download here: https://imgur.com/a/1YO2MWX

here's a test clip shot on Sony F3 + Altura 8mm f/3:

It's still not perfect, and you might wanna try adjusting vig opacities/colors to match your footage, but hopefully this helps somebody blend their mirrorless footage into an HPX project in a less perceptible way.

If mods wanna move this one to Filming/Editing that would be so choice, bless.