Author Topic: Skate Warehouse Breach  (Read 6501 times)

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • Overweight and Underprepared
Re: Skate Warehouse Breach
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2024, 04:02:21 PM »
I don't know the answer to your questions, but my guess is that the legal team got access to the contact information for people who made purchases during a specific time frame that were subject to data sharing.

I received emails from this legal team.

https://www.kellerpostman.com/

"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Theme For A Jackal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2024, 07:08:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I got it for awhile and went ahead to the site and made an order. I received exactly what I ordered and didn’t get to file a law suit.  ;)  These are just phishing ads
[close]

Do you understand what a data breach or a class action lawsuit is?
[close]

Yes. I'm saying those ads were showing up on my feed last year and nothing happened with the order. If it would have
happened I would of just gotten one of those fancy gift cards for 111 in exchange for acceptance that all my info has been permanently stolen. But lucky for me someone broke into a building used by the health department and stole a bunch of computers which had all my personal data in it already. I don't know where I'm going with this obviously other then I think your safe to order from them at this point as I was. But just go to the local shop and save yourself the trouble of waiting to find out.

That's not how any of this works, bud

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2024, 07:24:38 AM »
some people in here seem confused about how class action settlements work. i'm not a lawyer but i can lay out the general process:

the only people who were eligible are the ones who made a purchase within a specific window of time during which personal data was being leaked

the lawsuit has already happened and a settlement has already been reached

if you missed the chance to get involved with the lawsuit way back then, it's too late to get your settlement now (even if your data was leaked). if you didn't make a purchase within the time window stipulated by the lawsuit, you wouldn't have been eligible anyway. this doesn't mean that your data was or wasn't leaked, it just means that you didn't fit into the profile defined by the lawyers who ran the lawsuit

hope that clears some things up

anyway i just bought a set of indy ti 159s and a tube of bearing lube with my credit, and i even got free shipping. some asshole in another country is probably trying to use my personal data to open up 17 credit cards as we speak, but i got free trucks

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2024, 07:42:04 AM »
anyway i just bought a set of indy ti 159s and a tube of bearing lube with my credit, and i even got free shipping. some asshole in another country is probably trying to use my personal data to open up 17 credit cards as we speak, but i got free trucks

Maybe you'll break your Ti Indys and get to sue NHS and collect again. A virtuous cycle.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1371
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2024, 07:51:25 AM »
Skate Warehouse breached! Skate Warehouse breached!

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2024, 08:03:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Always use PayPal.
[close]
Why? Should I use that as a default payment method online? Is it that much safer?
[close]

paypal is a financial services company that has been dealing with credit card security since the late 90s, and basically their entire goal as a company is to securely settle payments and transfer money.

each of the various web stores you go to probably use a much smaller scale, homegrown platform to process your payments. these smaller e-commerce platforms probably have small teams, like a couple dozen, that manage development and security, whereas paypal easily has hundreds solving the same problem. and paypal also has more money to spend to security audits etc etc and has alot more eyes on them to do security well because they have millions of customers and have contracts with some of the biggest companies in the world.

so the general theory is kind of like an economy of scale sort of thing. paypal has more resources to throw at security, in some cases like 50x or 100x the resources than your typical small scale e-commerce platform.

so yeah, if they offer a paypal option, use it and let them store your credit card number instead of your neighborhood skate distributor's website.

Another key thing is to use your credit card online, not your debit card. Your credit card becomes compromised? Just let your bank know and they'll quickly resolve the issue and send you a new card. It's not your money that's been compromised either. A debit card on the other hand is your money and it seems to be more of a pain in the ass to resolve any compromise you might experience.

Can he read

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2024, 03:27:48 PM »
pretty proud of coming as close as I could to the $111
Glad I waited too because those BA trucks just popped up out of nowhere, haven’t even seen them announced yet.