Author Topic: pathways 2  (Read 1732 times)

Lucky_Basek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 55
pathways 2
« on: January 31, 2023, 01:50:19 AM »

I could not look away

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
Re: pathways 2
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 01:55:45 AM »
was at the premier for this couple months back. great video, shoutout to my dawg paz

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 03:51:57 AM »

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 06:40:44 AM »

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 07:12:42 AM »
Great and unique vid, again

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 07:14:16 AM »
Expand Quote
@happenstance right?
[close]
Yessir

Awesome! Bought the first dvd and rewatched it recently and it’s still great, excited to check this out.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 07:35:20 AM »
Loved seeing elijah in something like this, epic video

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 08:51:45 AM »
Expand Quote

Awesome! Bought the first dvd and rewatched it recently and it’s still great, excited to check this out.
Sweet! It’s much appreciated.

He rips so hard. He had enough footage for a short part after 2 days. Multiple clips with minimal effort every time we met up. We’d get to a spot and I learned to immediately set up the camera because he’d be ready to do something in less than 5 minutes. Not normal.

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 09:34:52 AM »
Great work Happenstance! The dedication and attention to detail is remarkable.

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 09:45:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
He rips so hard. He had enough footage for a short part after 2 days. Multiple clips with minimal effort every time we met up. We’d get to a spot and I learned to immediately set up the camera because he’d be ready to do something in less than 5 minutes. Not normal.

I used to film him in maine so I actually know exactly what youre talking about lol. Favorite dude to film ever

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9957
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 10:02:41 AM »
Another great one!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 10:02:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I used to film him in maine so I actually know exactly what youre talking about lol. Favorite dude to film ever
Oh, rad! Good kid all around. Sorry to be agist here, but with the younger guys that are sponce'd up you never know. There's some egos out there (and all generations go through it). He's super grounded and humble.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 10:22:03 AM »
Great work Brett!

Irvine-Sucks.com

waffle

• Rep: 125
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2023, 01:23:50 PM »
Coolest video I’ve seen in such a long time. Love the each-part-a-type-of-spot feel.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 06:55:59 AM »
Finally watched it - what a visual experience. Great use of B roll mixed in with the spot selection. Also any BBNG use will get bonus points from me. Eli rules and I want to buy a black label board with his name on it.

I’m gonna find the dumbest playground spot near me and roll through it. Awesome stuff happenstance!

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2023, 07:03:53 AM »
Stoked to watch this after work today.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2023, 07:14:02 AM »
Pro tip for watching this film. Wear headphones and watch on a good monitor. I had to after watching the first one and realizing the sounds needed to be concentrated and amplified. I felt like I wasn't getting all I could without them and I appreciate the work into making it sound so good.

Such wonderful attention to detail with both. Worth the wait and definitely getting repeated watches. I love projects of love like this that elevate skateboarding and filming. Thank you so very much.

I feel like this is a reward for all of us for devoting so much of our being to this thing called skateboarding. Only with true mutual appreciation for this thing we share, I feel like you could truly appreciate this in its entirety even though anyone could enjoy this film.

nickpaolucci

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2023, 07:38:25 AM »
are there copies available?

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2023, 08:10:08 AM »
@happenstance major fucking props to you this was next level! The editing, the b roll, were all next level but the skating and spots are what made it for me. Truly creative skating and spots without being gimmicky at all. As said before I want to go find a playground or a weird sculpture and do some tricks that Josh Paz was doing.

*Insert Orson Welles clapping GIF

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2023, 08:54:48 AM »
Ah that was excellent. What a selection of spots. Really shows how important the whole texture/sound aspect is. Will there be hardcopies available? Maybe even double feature dvds...

Also the interview with @silhouette is worth a reread
https://vladimirfilmfestival.com/brett-nichols-interview/

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2023, 09:32:12 AM »
spirit quest vibes but with art/architecture instead of animals

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2023, 12:53:04 PM »

the lil' goats stole the show

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2023, 01:55:21 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words guys! Definitely means a lot.

the lil' goats stole the show
A GOAT designer stole the show with custom fonts and motion graphics ;)

I’m gonna find the dumbest playground spot near me and roll through it.
Behavior I can promote! Fun fact that a number of those spots are at busy parks, and I try my best to go when empty (not always). So a nice chunk of the concrete playground footage is between 8-10am. The giant concrete slide where Chris does noseslide to boardslide is at the busiest park in SF, so we did it at 6am on a cold winter day. The sand was covered in ice.

Pro tip for watching this film. Wear headphones and watch on a good monitor. I had to after watching the first one and realizing the sounds needed to be concentrated and amplified. I felt like I wasn't getting all I could without them and I appreciate the work into making it sound so good.
;D Very nice suggestion. In the first one I edited a section to the bassline, which was sort of a learning that it doesn't work unless someone has good speakers. Definitely some subtle things happening with sound, which would benefit from good audio, regardless.

Will there be hardcopies available? Maybe even double feature dvds...
There will be! Along with a magazine discussing some of the concepts in depth. Just going to take a little more time. I'm aware I am doing the process backward, but after so many years, I just wanted to get it out. It will be a double feature DVD with my other full length, Broadway, coming later this month. If you are referring to Pathways 1 as the other video, I still have copies left. Send me a PM.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2023, 01:18:15 PM »
Súper good. I especially like that @happenstance gave himself an @Isuck -esque 2 song last part  ;)
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

matureoftheocean

• Rep: 61
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2023, 01:22:13 PM »
spirit quest vibes but with art/architecture instead of animals

Yeah reminded me of spirit quest too but thats a great thing. Awesome spots and filming 🤙
SUOMI | FINLAND | PRKL www.fat1937.blogspot.com

midnitecruiser

• Rep: -66
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2023, 08:38:26 AM »
from skatepartreviews.substack.com

Pathways 2 shows filmmaker Brett Nichols’s golden state spot seeker’s paradise, curated fruits of mid-century civic utopian projects depicted in Super 8 digests advertising California dream. Land art laid as future primitive playgrounds summon jazz tap top down nuance carves. Cross-continental cultural exchange appears via collaged, camera twisting board bending, indebted to Japanese skate vids and the Spirit Quest spirit, with nods to Magenta and Rios crews. Grandchildren of the Summer of Love skating playgrounds and sculptures places faith in forebears’ good intent to built these spaces still intact, revealing new uses upon half a century’s wear. These skate spaces are unmistakably American, wide even when twisted and narrow, yet often European feeling in academic abstract modernist embrace. Crust appears rarely, a critique through omission of current American skate acceptance and fetishization of dancing on decay. Sculptures are guideposts from the pre-skate generations’ best efforts. Minor landmarks suggest the space race influenced earthbound terrain recreation. I recognize Noguchi Plaza’s indented brickwork.

Jazz churns unsettled, looking over its shoulder as robots play guitar. Every spot is curated for visual appeal with in-house, deliberate b-roll, and one understands how this half-hour video took six years to create. Skaters grab their boards as often as they use hands to climb and carve within sculptural nooks. Instrumental soundtracking and subtle clothing foreground set locations and board maneuvers more than the skaters themselves. Drum beats tap between quick shots of architectural flourishes, riding serpentine spine beside agave plants. Title screen appears over PATHWAYS 2 circuitous all caps brushstrokes:

Herculean Josh Paz headlined 2016’s Pathways. Back at it again, @jawzpawz appears here first part in iPath script while he circumnavigates dry fountain bed beneath floral sculpture. Travelog clips show communities united in dance; handmade skeletons shake and rattle as connective cursor toward current robotics manouevering on Science Skateboards. First trick back tail shove down a snake-run ditch sets spot and trick expectations high in white tee and navy cargo pants, Adidas and orange beanie that fits his history with LowCard. Josh ollie north donutrides a pierside installation, then powerlipslides atop hexagonal crest of the next.

Catch Paz quincunx calculating uponto wooden bench then pop ascendant back 5050 on Piet Mondrain tiltawhirl tiling with dyed blonde hairbrushed over brown base. Paz has stacked productively elsewhere since Pathways, but one senses how he saved special spots as Pathways clips for this redux. He can trust Nichol’s process because nobody else seems likely to be skating these places. He rockrides on piles laid like charcoals in service of central sculptural torch, beanie on like Daewon Song. Quick camera clips show intricate overhead movement, then at relative of first spot in same outfit Josh blunt slides a ditch chute’s chest. After board nudging for momentum aide, Josh noseblunts the marble curbs running down a stair set’s other side, then pops into the next pathway a la Max Taylor. Josh pops humps laid around a cactus influenced sculpture then rides back 5050 up bridge cabling. Frame in Frame zooms into nighttime brick slide and shell dappled sandcastle carves. Paz pump track blasts a daytime single, then night time lines a different pump track, speedy jazz matching quick feet, before blessing a brick quarterpipe with nighttime then daytime clips.

Front 180 over plaza water gap shows fresh power as transfer grinds ring on hollow sculpture. A woman dances with a robot as Josh boomerang stalls atop a spiky spine. He finds an arboretum bank, then produces a couple fresh clips on China Banks. He runs a progression on bankside shove its, from backside to frontside, nollie frontside to nollie backside. Flower petals turn sundials as discs spin concentric drain ward circles, urethane hinged trucks spanning down pinch point. The rest of Pathways 2 continues in similar inspiring manner. Riders share sections and spots with pride and goats. A teacher by trade, viewers find fitting that Mr. Paz leads the way.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2550
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2023, 10:11:21 AM »
This deserves to be on the first page a bit longer. Such a great, even unique video.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 977
  • the moon rules
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2023, 05:43:20 PM »
One of my friends told me to check this out. I fucking loved it and had to come check to see if there was a thread about it here. Very very cool stuff @happenstance
fuck you bama

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2023, 04:38:47 AM »
Amazing video. The music in this is perfect!
Edit: also loved the clips with automata/robotic mechanisms, I am a sucker for this stuff.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 779
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2023, 06:02:55 PM »
That was a sensory delight. A very unique experience. Nice fucking work.