Author Topic: Flat footed flatground help  (Read 474 times)

Sifter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 47
Flat footed flatground help
« on: March 27, 2023, 04:33:16 PM »
Any tips/advice or elaborations that might help a larger bloke with flat feet learn some flip tricks would be sick

I've been paying close attention to how flips are done and noticed a lightfoot ankle roll movement right before popping.

It looks pretty key in evolving from mob to popped but when I try it I feel like I'm doing a karate kid move before I pop
It seems more noticeable in heelflip tricks (I first noticed from my mate who is a great heelflipper)

Some random examples from vids I've watched recently

yuto sw heel

luan fakie heel

luan nollie fs flip

asta nollie bs heel

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 164
  • My brother Roy is into music
Re: Flat footed flatground help
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 09:17:57 PM »

For some people it is a karate kick

Start walking barefoot and internally rotate your feet a smidge when stand to help your flat feet

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 01:06:40 AM »
Try consciously getting up onto the balls of your feet/your toes more as you set up to pop, makes the initial movements of the trick a little more deft and can really help with kickflip based tricks, certainly should encourage a bit more ankle movement as you flick as well. If i'm being lazy my default foot position is dead flat, and this can make quite a few tricks feel a little dulled...good for heelflips though.

I've got the flattest feet going, and skate nothing but flatground...once you find what works for you, it's not really even a disadvantage.

Sifter

• Rep: 47
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 09:46:03 PM »
ok sweet good to know.  I thought I'd be doomed to learn anything past shuvs and kickflip.  Thank you 

switchfakie

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 04:18:35 PM »
i have flat feet & i think its just our curse that we're not meant to be amazing at flatground/flip tricks

i skate only slip ons because it has a nice and wide fit if that helps. I also remove any curvy insoles because that ends up hurting my feet more (im sure you feel the same)

id say just to give up on being a flatground king if thats what youre trying. i've done literally thousands of kickflips in my life time but it still isnt fully there stylewise (albeit ill get 7-8/10). it isnt work sinking hours and hours just to know you need to work 10x harder for 10x less results

growing up i ended up focusing on doing ledge tricks at mach9 and doing all grind/slide transition tricks for as far as i could go with speed and thats so far made me really happy, so maybe give that a go

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 09:05:41 AM »
i have flat feet & i think its just our curse that we're not meant to be amazing at flatground/flip tricks
I have insanely flat feet (zero arch essentially); I never found flatground to be harder because of that. The only major flaw that I am aware of having flat feet is that impact skating isn't suited for us since the arch in the foot helps with absorbing some impact before it reaches the knees

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 09:13:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I have insanely flat feet (zero arch essentially); I never found flatground to be harder because of that. The only major flaw that I am aware of having flat feet is that impact skating isn't suited for us since the arch in the foot helps with absorbing some impact before it reaches the knees

Same, I don't feel like it's held me back at all really... do tend to roll my ankle a bit easier than most but I think that's more a hyper mobility issue.