Author Topic: at what weight do i stop trying to skate?  (Read 2017 times)

360analflip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
  • fat curb skater
    • Instagram avatar image
at what weight do i stop trying to skate?
« on: February 04, 2023, 05:20:58 PM »
i’m 16, 5’7, 240 lbs. i recently destroyed my ankle on a bank (broken in 4 places, emergency surgery, 2 inch screw permanently embedded in my right ankle (my flicking ankle)) i’m gonna be in physio until july and i’m not gonna be skating again until probly october-ish. be honest and be brutal. at my size and stature, am i just too big to make skating again even worth it?
live, laugh, love

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
Re: at what weight do i stop trying to skate?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 05:26:09 PM »
Work to get a healthy BMI first then try again.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 12:23:26 AM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 06:43:06 PM »
I think it's more personal so only you would really know.
I've known some real big boys over the years who still crushed at sports and skateboarding. One dude could do that thing where you do like ten cartwheels in a row then a backflip.
Losing excess weight is always a good thing tho even if not fashionable to say

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1220
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 08:17:05 PM »
Time to hang it up tubby. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204

Sifter

• Rep: 47
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 12:08:31 AM »
100+ kilos you WILL get hurt

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2023, 12:24:21 AM »
Are you willing to try and lose some weight before you try to skate again? That seems really big for how short you are.

I'm 220 lbs right now at 6"2 and I feel like a disgusting fat slob, though a lot of that is probably in my head. Still, I should be 200 even at most and it would surely help my knees and ankles.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 03:22:45 AM »
you can just be one of the fat old guys who does fs slash grinds in the bowl
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2023, 04:46:49 AM »
Get your ass in the weight loss thread bro.

Also @Steely Daniel how have you been? Still on the wagon? If yes, losing weight is much easier without alcoholic beverages.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

biaherl

• Rep: 263
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2023, 10:21:47 AM »
At the age of 16 you are in the middle of your body developing.

(IMO) You don't have enough muscle mass yet to support that weight yet. I am currently 240 pounds and I skate about 8+ hours a week but I can also deadlift, squat and bench my body weight for more then 10 reps each, I'm 48yo my body is nearing the end of it's prime

The good news is that it's just a few small changes you can make that will allow you to skate till you're past 80yo

Go for a walk everyday
Find an exercise you like to do and do it 1 to 3 times a week
Try to pick a healthy food option for each meal you eat and leave a little on your plate for the dog to finish

You got this

Skateboarding will still be here when you're healed up and ready

Thanks for sharing there are so many people like us going through the same problems. Just reading about it helps but we are also here to help

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2023, 11:50:21 AM »
broski there is something called a calorie deficit

hunger is just a feeling

rob macabre

• Rep: -3
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2023, 12:23:50 PM »
There was a short Asian man who did a kickflip at like 250 lbs. Think he posted on here, Bill Pepper or something like that?
It's not purely weight though, Weckingball might weigh a lot but it's muscleature. Bam and Foy can hold their own for a fat boy. The guy on Timecode who plowed into the camera at FDR was quite plump but he had that carve.
(edit) Johnny Lee Countee? He ripped and weighed 3 bills.

360analflip

• Rep: 5
  • fat curb skater
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2023, 01:26:57 PM »

(IMO) You don't have enough muscle mass yet to support that weight yet. I am currently 240 pounds and I skate about 8+ hours a week but I can also deadlift, squat and bench my body weight for more then 10 reps each, I'm 48yo my body is nearing the end of it's prime

The good news is that it's just a few small changes you can make that will allow you to skate till you're past 80yo

Go for a walk everyday
Try to pick a healthy food option for each meal you eat and leave a little on your plate for the dog to finish

You got this

Thanks for sharing there are so many people like us going through the same problems. Just reading about it helps but we are also here to help

thank you man, i’ve been doing hella sit ups and bicycle leg movement exercises considering that most of my fat is stored in my belly and legs, when i can walk again and can get down to my basement i’ll probly use my dads weights and workout chest. i’m definitely eating less because i’m not doing anything and thus i require less food to fuel me.
i really appreciate the advice man!
live, laugh, love

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2023, 05:03:13 PM »
Expand Quote

Go for a walk everyday

You got this

[close]

thank you man, i’ve been doing hella sit ups and bicycle leg movement exercises considering that most of my fat is stored in my belly and legs, when i can walk again and can get down to my basement i’ll probly use my dads weights and workout chest. i’m definitely eating less because i’m not doing anything and thus i require less food to fuel me.
I think with fat loss it's any exercise will get it from anywhere not so much it's on my stomach so have to do stomach exercises and sit ups can be really bad for your back so be careful with doing a lot especially if you havent been exercising much, have heaps of extra weight. There's a bunch of different plank positions you can do that are meant to be as good. (Sorry for jumping in but as someone with a bad back I gotta worn the others)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2023, 06:04:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Go for a walk everyday

You got this

[close]

[close]
I think with fat loss it's any exercise will get it from anywhere not so much it's on my stomach so have to do stomach exercises and sit ups can be really bad for your back so be careful with doing a lot especially if you havent been exercising much, have heaps of extra weight. There's a bunch of different plank positions you can do that are meant to be as good. (Sorry for jumping in but as someone with a bad back I gotta worn the others)

Planks and any other bodyweight / calisthenics exercises are a good place to start, and you can use the "Greasing The Groove" technique to get stronger (https://www.artofmanliness.com/health-fitness/fitness/get-stronger-by-greasing-the-groove/) so it's less mentally taxing when you think about working out.

Losing weight 70% diet and 30% working out, do small lifestyle tweaks to consume less calories per day (swap soda with water, intermittent fasting). It can be tempting to go 100% into fitness and weight loss but the chances of losing motivation and dropping off is very high - you're here for the marathon (for life) not a sprint, so make sure the fitness plans are sustainable. Indulge in a beer or dessert once in a while.

Edit: you're probably going to have some rehab work done but take that shit seriously even after the physio sessions are over. Get some elastic bands to get your ankles strong to prevent future injuries (see Dr Kyle Brown on Insta for lots of helpful workouts).
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2023, 06:43:06 PM »

Also @Steely Daniel how have you been? Still on the wagon? If yes, losing weight is much easier without alcoholic beverages.

I had over a week sober then slipped up a bit on the weekend but it was an isolated incident and didn't trigger a bender. I didn't enjoy it and felt like total shit after in more ways than one. Thanks for asking. I told my counsellor I just started to go to I was doing this alone cold turkey but that was a lie since I have a few kind strangers online at least supporting me and checking in. Appreciate it.

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2023, 08:50:58 PM »
Expand Quote

Go for a walk everyday

You got this

[close]

fyi, you might already know, but you can’t lose weight in just legs, stomach etc. that’s completely bullshit. I know a lot of people say stomach do crunches etc… yes you will build up muscle there but it won’t shed fat, I was in a similar spot to you a few years, I’m also 5’7 and was 230.. most of all my fat was my stomach, the most important thing is cutting you’re calories, exercise will not ever make up for eating more than 2,000cal. You can drop almost all the weight just buy getting you’re eating habits In check, that’s why I did at first, just cutting soda out I lost thirty pounds. Then after that I slowly started to walk, half a mile, then a mile a day, then two miles a day, etc. after probably a year I was from 230 down to 165. It’s going to take massive discipline though, and most likely the rest of you’re life, I got lazy and in one month just by not paying attention to eating I gained back thirty pounds in like a month… the human body has evolved to store fat and not want to lose it, based off of when we did not know when the next time we could hunt something and eat it. So it’s going to be a fight against you’re body to lose pounds, you can do it!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2023, 11:12:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Go for a walk everyday

You got this

[close]

[close]
fyi, you might already know, but you can’t lose weight in just legs, stomach etc. that’s completely bullshit. I know a lot of people say stomach do crunches etc… yes you will build up muscle there but it won’t shed fat, I was in a similar spot to you a few years, I’m also 5’7 and was 230.. most of all my fat was my stomach, the most important thing is cutting you’re calories, exercise will not ever make up for eating more than 2,000cal. You can drop almost all the weight just buy getting you’re eating habits In check, that’s why I did at first, just cutting soda out I lost thirty pounds. Then after that I slowly started to walk, half a mile, then a mile a day, then two miles a day, etc. after probably a year I was from 230 down to 165. It’s going to take massive discipline though, and most likely the rest of you’re life, I got lazy and in one month just by not paying attention to eating I gained back thirty pounds in like a month… the human body has evolved to store fat and not want to lose it, based off of when we did not know when the next time we could hunt something and eat it. So it’s going to be a fight against you’re body to lose pounds, you can do it!

Good advice. If you want to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you ingest. Even if you don‘t move at all, your body burns a certain amount of calories per day. If you do sports, it‘s a little bit more but not drastically more so by just doing sports but still eating too much, you will not lose weight. And yes it takes an extreme self discipline. You will be hungry, very hungry. The skinnier you get the less calories you need so your food rations decrease constantly. Everybody around you is eating all the time, television runs food ads non stop. It is a struggle, but you can do it. I was overweight two years ago now I wear super slim fit shirts to work and size 28 pants instead of 34 for skating.

Expand Quote

[close]

I had over a week sober then slipped up a bit on the weekend but it was an isolated incident and didn't trigger a bender. I didn't enjoy it and felt like total shit after in more ways than one. Thanks for asking. I told my counsellor I just started to go to I was doing this alone cold turkey but that was a lie since I have a few kind strangers online at least supporting me and checking in. Appreciate it.

Good to hear. I truly hope this will work out for you and have good effects on your partner as well. You are not alone in this, me and other pals empathize with your situation. 
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2023, 11:35:15 PM »
At sixteen, you have so much time, your body is not your body for life…..

Keep doing your PT, an hour/ day at least….when you’re better, keep putting in that time into exercising…..and sneak in some skating…..

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2023, 01:10:55 AM »
Another thing, not sure it's been mentioned yet, take your time getting well. It's far too easy and tempting to want to get back out as soon as possible, but make sure your injury has fully healed/rehabbed before you step back onto your board (or whatever physical activity that involves an injury).
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2023, 01:23:11 AM »
Another thing, not sure it's been mentioned yet, take your time getting well. It's far too easy and tempting to want to get back out as soon as possible, but make sure your injury has fully healed/rehabbed before you step back onto your board (or whatever physical activity that involves an injury).

Agreed, no awards being handed out for being macho, and future you will thank you for taking the time to recover and taking rehab seriously.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2023, 02:01:03 AM »
When I graduated HS I was 5’7” and 240. Over the next 8-9 months, I stopped skating. I got a job that had me on my feet a lot and I changed the way I ate. I dropped 80 lbs. An old homie invited me to skate and it was like I was a new man on the board…it was…easier. More enjoyable.
Maybe turn this injury into an opportunity to become a new you.
Good luck, and take care of youself, little bro.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1103
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2023, 11:52:12 AM »
at my size and stature, am i just too big to make skating again even worth it?

I hope this doesn't sound harsh, but buddy, you're only 16. There's sooooooooooooooooooo much life ahead of you; to presume that you're stuck being 240lbs forever is the kind of thinking you can only find from a wizened teenager. If you want to start getting healthy and lose that weight, you won't even have stretch marks.

For whatever it's worth, my brother was 5'8" and probably 250 lbs at 15-16 years old, and by the time he finished high school he was 6' and ~170.

Seriously dude, by the time you're 25, you will *not* recognize your 16 year old self. Not mentally, not emotionally, not physically. Don't sweat it, but start forming healthy habits right now so that they just become normal parts of daily life, instead of something you are constantly striving to achieve.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 07:47:34 PM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Bruiser603

• Rep: 10
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2023, 07:29:23 AM »
I'm not going to repeat the advice others have given about the practicality of losing weight.  But I will add as a bigger guy myself and having an older ankle injury, there are some practical things you can do to make your reintroduction to skating easier.  (if you choose to keep skating).

Good high top shoes.  Crockett highs are my current favorite for a mix of support and board feel/cusioning.  I lace those suckers up high and tight. 

Good insoles.  The pop cush that comes in the vans skate highs/crocketts are decent.  If you need more arch support, I use the superfeet adapt max.  More arch support and a bit less cusioning than the pop cushs'.

Ankle sleeve/support.  I have two types of ankle supports, and know they have more aggressive ones too.  Find one that works for you to minimize movement.  With high tops the more aggressive ones with plastic won't fit, so you may have to find a low top to use with the more plastic based supports.  My preffered set up at this point is a firm sleeve type support and lace my high tops high and tight.

Stretching/warm up.  It's not just for old guys like me.  Getting a good thermal warm up is important and hit some stretches too.  Personally a little stretching and alot of warm up is what helps me from getting injured and keep skating.

Weight training/working out.  What other guys have mentioned is helpful.  I did a bit of lifting/powerlifting when I was younger and now just do basic lifting to maintain a measure of health.  This type of training or body weight training does help in preventing injury and strengthening your body to withstand the crap that skateboarding throws at it.

Equipment.  My gear has had to change dealing with the ankle, mine get's agitated with impacts and really rough ground.  So if I want to skate rougher ground/street skating I use an 1/8 inch shock pad and a softer formula like dragon to assist in absorbing vibration/impacts. 

Trick selection.  I've had to modify the way I skate, I don't bother re-learning or learning tricks that could easily compromise my bad ankle.  Personally I'm careful about flip tricks and grinds that require my weight to be positioned on one foot.  When you weigh a decent amount, having all the weight land on one joint that is compromised/bent in the wrong direction is not fun.  (I'm sure after your experience you understand this).  Find out what feels good and ease into the whole trick thing, stick to basics that don't require you to land on one foot or that can land primo and roll your ankle.
Skateparks that are poured cement and have transition options are the easiest on my ankle personally.  So if you are easing in, this is ideal for doing that.  Just some easy pumping and carving on transition in a smooth park is the easiest form of skating on my ankle personally. 

Hopefully this helps some.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 08:05:22 AM by Bruiser603 »

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 94
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2023, 06:45:21 PM »
Keep skating if you love it, I know a guy who lost a ton of weight just by skating.  Find your own way of riding a skateboard

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 573
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2023, 07:21:06 PM »
i’m 16, 5’7, 240 lbs. i recently destroyed my ankle on a bank (broken in 4 places, emergency surgery, 2 inch screw permanently embedded in my right ankle (my flicking ankle)) i’m gonna be in physio until july and i’m not gonna be skating again until probly october-ish. be honest and be brutal. at my size and stature, am i just too big to make skating again even worth it?

Tbh 240 is heavy bro. We're about the same height and I already felt like I couldn't skate well when I was at my heaviest at 185. But like others have said above, you're 16 and have your whole life ahead of you.. Like shit you're not even fully grown yet. If you feel like you want to lose weight, what worked for me was investing $20 into a food scale and using MyFitnessPal to get an idea of how many calories I was consuming and how many I needed to lose weight.. All that boils down to is consuming less calories than you consume.

While you're hurt, you could start reducing your caloric intake and develop a healthy (!!) relationship with food. Lifting some weights and building muscle can help increase your metabolism and even taking 30 mins a day to walk a couple miles can do wonders in the long term.

I've personally spent most of my life with body dysmorphia and have struggled a lot with feeling comfortable in my own skin. As long as you're healthy and feel good about yourself, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. But if you aren't, take small steps to make progress and don't rush things. There's no such thing as a quick and easy fix. Being healthy means adopting a healthy lifestyle and that often requires a lot of time.

I hope you fully heal and keep ripping man.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2023, 05:22:46 PM »
What weight do you want to be?

Believe me, there are other people that didn’t have something like skateboarding to motivate them to change their diets/habits, but they managed to do it.

Don’t make excuses for why you can’t. Brainstorm how you can.

You know I’m right and you know I know you got this so why don’t you know you got this? Because you totally do.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2023, 09:07:21 PM »
you can just be one of the fat old guys who does fs slash grinds kick turns at the scum line in the bowl

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2023, 12:32:56 PM »
If you’re like me and want to eat salad but the time constraints of chewing is keeping you from eating as much green in your diet, then see if you’re like me and can stomach the shortcut of running it through a food processor.

Some foods are medicine. Take your medicine like a grown up and feel good about it on your cheat day. Just know and be honest about what you’re willing to do to be healthy/healthier.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2023, 02:33:06 AM »
Have a look at this guy Adam on instagram it’s called evidencebasedtraining

He’s pretty real imo, losing a bunch of weight is a slow process

Get a food scale and start doing portions and shit like that

As others have said you can do this it’s just willpower to stick with it and see it through

Not even for skating bro but it’s better to not be overweight it’s more strain on your body moving around etc

Swimming might be a good one cause you float so exercise won’t be too much strain
listen to cosmic psychos