Author Topic: at what weight do i stop trying to skate?  (Read 2001 times)

mj23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: at what weight do i stop trying to skate?
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2023, 09:49:09 AM »
Some good advice here already, I would say read through this thread and make a little list of all the suggestions. Try to rank them in terms of what is easy to do and what is harder to do. Make the easy changes immediately. Choose a few of the harder changes and commit to putting time in on them

I will say that at age 16 I was a little overweight as well. I think I peaked around 5' 10" and 230lbs. For me I was able to lose quite a lot of weight just with small changes to my diet. I committed to eating only 3 square meals a day with no snacks, no soda, and always including a fruit or vegetable. Sure, there were times when everyone around me at a party was eating chips or cake or something, but I got good at saying no. The weight fell off pretty quickly and I was down to like 165 a year or so later.

You're lucky in the sense that losing weight is easier when you're young.

And beyond that, I would recommend a good workout program. Don't focus on trying to become shredded overnight. Don't fixate on your abs or any particular glamor muscle. Just put in your time developing strength in every part of your body. It will help your overall performance and help to prevent injuries. Start light. Do your PT every day. Ask the PT if they can help you with create a full-body exercise program beyond just rehabbing your current injury. Truth be told, good fitness is way more valuable in preventing injury than any particular size/weight ratio. Strong muscles protect your bones.

Be motivated by your desire to skate and do other fun shit. For me working out isn't really a ton of fun, but I know it will help me surf/skate/snowboard more effectively. That makes it easy to be motivated, because that's the stuff I really want to do.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2023, 03:04:03 PM »
If you don't like skating, then sure give it up, but my man, life is a short ride so find your bliss.  You're just at the start, just do everything, take physio seriously, get healthy and have fun. 

I just got my self down to an easier to manage weight to skate, and now skating is helping do the rest.  Making your knees and back work too much will bite you sooner or later.

mikeyshorts

• Rep: -15
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2023, 03:35:51 PM »
i worked with a fat kid once. andre would bum a ride home from him every day and tell us 'yo big man, big man smell!'
so anyways big man smell was a disgusting piece of shit but he didn't let that get in the way of doing what he loved.
dude drank 1000s of calories of ice t every day cause he said his dad didn't allow water in the home. i'm thinking you aint got tap water? he would pig out on lunch break and eat 2-3 fast food meals. said his dad limited his overeating at home so he got it in. someone must been enabling that boy.

switchfakie

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2023, 08:17:57 PM »
250+ if youre not 6ft

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2023, 08:52:03 AM »
i’m 16, 5’7, 240 lbs. i recently destroyed my ankle on a bank (broken in 4 places, emergency surgery, 2 inch screw permanently embedded in my right ankle (my flicking ankle)) i’m gonna be in physio until july and i’m not gonna be skating again until probly october-ish. be honest and be brutal. at my size and stature, am i just too big to make skating again even worth it?

Def lose weight for your general health. Not bagging on you but you're in die young massive heart attack territory. That said, I know this short super overweight guy who rips with good style and can do like 4 foot tall ledge fs noses. I think a lot of it is knowing how to fall at your size, but I also think that the more overweight you are the less athletic your bails are going to be and that's going to lead to more injuries. I'd shape your diet up while you're sedentary recovering. I lost like 20 lbs and my pop improved by quite a bit and I can skate longer so there's that too. The other good thing about getting into shape at your age is that your body kind of resets it's default settings and you'll tend to stay away closer to in shape versus not as you age. Just do it before say 30 because at that point your body has locked you into the size you are and it's a lot harder to lose weight and maintain it naturally.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

360analflip

• Rep: 5
  • fat curb skater
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2023, 12:17:30 PM »
What weight do you want to be?

Believe me, there are other people that didn’t have something like skateboarding to motivate them to change their diets/habits, but they managed to do it.

Don’t make excuses for why you can’t. Brainstorm how you can.

You know I’m right and you know I know you got this so why don’t you know you got this? Because you totally do.

so it’s been a while and i got walking clearance on the 16th of february, since then i’ve been working out as much as i can while going easy on my ankle, i’ve only lost ten pounds but i physically just feel better having routine in my life, i hope that by this time next year i can be down to 150/60lbs
live, laugh, love

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2023, 12:21:55 PM »
Fuck yeah dude, nice

Better to do something slow and steady for the long haul than try to go too hard and give up early, or worse, get hurt and set yourself back again

A lot of people try to work out hard af, hurt themselves, and then have to recover for so long that they can’t make real progress. Keep at it and you’ll be skating soon

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2023, 07:52:08 PM »
Fuck yeah dude, nice

Better to do something slow and steady for the long haul than try to go too hard and give up early, or worse, get hurt and set yourself back again

Fitness / weight loss / skateboarding / any physical endeavor is a marathon, not a sprint. There's an initial rush that comes with losing the first few pounds, but it will plateau for a bit before you make significant progress again, so consistency is key.

Build the simple behaviors into habits and the habits will become second nature. Control the amount of soda you drink, limit how much beer / dessert you have in the week, start your day off with some pushups or squats - little things make a huge difference in the long run.

You got this champ.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2023, 04:06:16 AM »
Expand Quote

Believe me, there are other people that didn’t have something like skateboarding to motivate them to change their diets/habits, but they managed to do it.

You know I’m right and you know I know you got this so why don’t you know you got this? Because you totally do.
[close]

so it’s been a while and i got walking clearance on the 16th of february, since then i’ve been working out as much as i can while going easy on my ankle, i’ve only lost ten pounds but i physically just feel better having routine in my life, i hope that by this time next year i can be down to 150/60lbs

yeah go for it g, i've heard that it's a lot harder to lose weight that you gained in your teens as an adult so the sooner the better, i wish you luck.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Jawn Gyatti

• Rep: 6
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2023, 07:03:07 AM »
i’m 16, 5’7, 240 lbs. i recently destroyed my ankle on a bank (broken in 4 places, emergency surgery, 2 inch screw permanently embedded in my right ankle (my flicking ankle)) i’m gonna be in physio until july and i’m not gonna be skating again until probly october-ish. be honest and be brutal. at my size and stature, am i just too big to make skating again even worth it?

Take time to recover so your injury can heal properly. While you're in recovery try to build up better eating habits and exercise, if possible. You're definitely not too big to skate, but if your weight is an issue for you its not like you can't change.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2023, 11:27:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Great news bruh, I thought you had resigned because you didn‘t post in a while. Keep it up, you got this. Once you are healed you will skate better than ever.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

montanaco

• Rep: -3
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2023, 09:21:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You got this! I highly recommend trying intermittent fasting. Simplest way I do it, is just eating from 12pm-8pm. Keeps me from overeating, and I always lose a healthy amount of weight from it.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2023, 12:35:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Now, you're an inspiration. Big pat on the back.

For anyone looking to fast, read up and just make sure you don't go Richard Simmons and lose hair from too much fasting without protein (his afro/hairstyle was a wig because he dieted to the extreme without any real guidance back in those days). Stay healthy y'all.

And hydrate.

I live for good news like this. Thank you from me and everyone/anyone who draws inspiration from your actions.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2023, 04:35:32 AM »
Your mileage may vary, but I found that doing some yoga/stretching early in the day helped increase my metabolism and keeps my joints and muscles limber. I’m not knowledgeable in terms of biology, but my fitness tracker dealy says that I burn more calories throughout the day when I get my blood moving early. (I don’t know how these things work though, so I could be wrong). Staying limber isn’t a big deal since you’re young, but it is a good habit to develop for when you’re an old fart like me. Good luck homie!
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.