Author Topic: Do you hide your adult skateboarding activities from other adults?  (Read 10761 times)

EXTRA SPICY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 340
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Do you hide your adult skateboarding activities from other adults?
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2023, 02:31:04 PM »
I try to avoid skateparks at all costs and only skate spots, so in a way I hide if from the communities that hang out at skateparks.

Sharing space with the general public feels a little weird sometimes at 35 on a board, but I’m out there for fun and cardio so it’s whatever. Eventually you just gotta embrace it.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

v.2.0.0.1

• Rep: 1
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2023, 02:33:57 PM »
50 year old executive in the “corp” world but known as the old dude who skates. Don’t talk about it. But someone will always ask when on crutches/sling/cast. “Wow you still trying to skateboard at your age?”  I just laugh.

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 28
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2023, 02:52:50 PM »
In the Marketing department we have a guy - who exactly looks like Kevin Spanky Long.
cool guy always having kind of good style, only wearing Vans.
So I ask him if he only rock the style or if he also skates?
He told me he had some skater friends - and tried to skate when he was younger - but was fully into soccer.
So never done it really.
I shared some photos from Kevins Insta and he was totally hyped. now he alway show pictures around "him"
skating to friends and colleagues.
If we chat via Whatsapp about some Marketing stuff - he alwas call me "Tony"
want to go with me to the skatepark and find its pretty funny that I still skate.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2023, 03:01:12 PM »
I just assume they think of me as I would think of someone that’s really into yo-yos or unicycles: Ok, they’re not hurting anyone, but are probably on the spectrum.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2016
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2023, 05:19:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The average corporate 9-5, American job has a lot of corny people in it. I definitely don't bring it up to co-workers to save myself from the cringe shit they would prob say, or try to bring up around me, but some that are around my age have noticed from the local popular skate shop stuff that I worn on casual days and think its cool. But the older colleagues, and my boss especially, I wouldn't bring it up around.

But I won't give a shit if it comes up in a social setting to other adult strangers
[close]

"Tony Hawk decided to join the Casual Friday Teams Session!"
"You know I used to skate when I was a teenager, did it for 2 whole week before I moved on to inline skating."
"Can you teach my kid to skate?"
"Hey have you seen the video of this kid Andy Anderson? He's amazing on his board, I don't skate but I've watched his video so many times. And the other guy Richie Jackson, he's great too!"
[close]

When I did the Zoom interviewing with the company for which I now work, the boss was like "Is that a Ray Barbee deck on your wall?" and I knew I was going to get the job.

Beautiful, is the boss that spotted the deck your current manager?  If it was a Hook Ups deck then maybe you wouldn't have had the job.

I list skateboarding as an interest in my Linkedin profile together with other interest, if someone picks up on it then you have a conversation starter.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2023, 09:34:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The average corporate 9-5, American job has a lot of corny people in it. I definitely don't bring it up to co-workers to save myself from the cringe shit they would prob say, or try to bring up around me, but some that are around my age have noticed from the local popular skate shop stuff that I worn on casual days and think its cool. But the older colleagues, and my boss especially, I wouldn't bring it up around.

But I won't give a shit if it comes up in a social setting to other adult strangers
[close]

"You know I used to skate when I was a teenager, did it for 2 whole week before I moved on to inline skating."
"Hey have you seen the video of this kid Andy Anderson? He's amazing on his board, I don't skate but I've watched his video so many times. And the other guy Richie Jackson, he's great too!"
[close]

When I did the Zoom interviewing with the company for which I now work, the boss was like "Is that a Ray Barbee deck on your wall?" and I knew I was going to get the job.
[close]

Beautiful, is the boss that spotted the deck your current manager?  If it was a Hook Ups deck then maybe you wouldn't have had the job.

I list skateboarding as an interest in my Linkedin profile together with other interest, if someone picks up on it then you have a conversation starter.

But you also hide your skateboard in a duffel bag at the janitor’s closet and tell your colleagues you’ve got your squash gear there if caught.  ???

Something doesn’t add up.

On days when I wanted to skate after work I'd keep my board and shoes in a duffel bag and hide it in the janitors closet. Not that my boss or colleagues would mind, but I don't want to have to explain why a man in his late 30s is still skateboarding.

In my previous job a colleague saw me with the duffel bag and I said it was my squash racket and I made up some story about playing at a court near the park. Turns out he played squash too and suggested we get a game in after work some time. Good thing COVID happened and we were all stuck at home for 2 years if not I'd have to learn to play squash.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2016
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2023, 09:52:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

But you also hide your skateboard in a duffel bag at the janitor’s closet and tell your colleagues you’ve got your squash gear there if caught.  ???

Expand Quote
On days when I wanted to skate after work I'd keep my board and shoes in a duffel bag and hide it in the janitors closet. Not that my boss or colleagues would mind, but I don't want to have to explain why a man in his late 30s is still skateboarding.

In my previous job a colleague saw me with the duffel bag and I said it was my squash racket and I made up some story about playing at a court near the park. Turns out he played squash too and suggested we get a game in after work some time. Good thing COVID happened and we were all stuck at home for 2 years if not I'd have to learn to play squash.
[close]

I appreciate that you went through the effort to quote me from another thread!

The jobs I hid my board in the janitor closet were from 2019 - early 2022, on my current job I said screw it and just put it on my resume / Linkedin. The culture of my current employer (European tech company) is more open and I feel more comfortable being myself around my colleagues and reporting manager. And the current company only has a small service office in my country which only 1/2 the staff come in to, so fewer people to deceive about playing squash.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2023, 01:14:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

The jobs I hid my board in the janitor closet were from 2019 - early 2022, on my current job I said screw it and just put it on my resume / Linkedin. The culture of my current employer (European tech company) is more open and I feel more comfortable being myself around my colleagues and reporting manager. And the current company only has a small service office in my country which only 1/2 the staff come in to, so fewer people to deceive about playing squash.

Nice. It's better being able to be yourself. I just remembered that story from the other thread as it was so hilarious to me so I dug it up. Not many mentions of squash in UWTB over the years.  :) Didn't mean to come across as a jerk. Sorry if I did.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2023, 04:23:23 AM »
Can you imagine if your friends from work came over and were looking for, say, a bottle of wine or some other adult type thing. They open a cabinet only to see your hidden King Skateboards Tyshawn board.
“Oh my god … Jerry what is this?”
“Uhh .. *nervous laughter *” - you
“No seriously what IS this?”
(More adult friends appear in the room, hoping to have a nice bottle during a wicked match of cards against humanity)
“Wow, are you serious?”
“What’s going on? Let me see… ohhhh that’s embarrassing “
“I don’t know what to say, I …” - you
“What CAN you say Jerry I mean.. this is sick”
“Really, what is wrong with you”

Feeling the redness grow in your cheeks, a slight bead of sweat from your brow, you exclaim..
“Ok guys I admit it, I grind, ok? I grind”

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2023, 04:44:05 AM »
Can you imagine if your friends from work came over and were looking for, say, a bottle of wine or some other adult type thing. They open a cabinet only to see your hidden King Skateboards Tyshawn board.
(More adult friends appear in the room, hoping to have a nice bottle during a wicked match of cards against humanity)
“Wow, are you serious?”

Feeling the redness grow in your cheeks, a slight bead of sweat from your brow, you exclaim..

Reminded me of this classic:

assvogel

• Rep: 213
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2023, 05:04:38 AM »
So sorry for my janitor-closeted skateboard friends.

Hope in the future your workplace will become more accepting, so you can wear the clothes you want, talk about things you love and truly be yourself without the fear of being ridiculed and hiding the fact you ride a skateboard. 💪

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2023, 05:44:58 AM »
I don't go out of my way to tell people but I don't hide it at the same time. So many adults my age (41) have literally no hobbies or interests outside work and family so im kinda proud of the fact I have something to look forward too after work. As far as what other adults think I could care less if they think skateboarding is childish.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -534
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2023, 06:03:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I wasn’t trying to name names, but the squash racquet story was the the final impetus in me starting this thread.  I was really mind blown that that happened, that you’d be less embarrassed of that.  Not calling you a fibber, or claiming I haven’t done much more embarrassing things in life (assuming that’s even embarrassing), but that really happened?  I’d love to know more about the thought process, not in a judging way, but like psychologically.  Could you share a little more? Would you be willing to be a guest speaker in my psychology class (zoom is fine), maybe do a Q&A?  We could obviously hide your identity, no one would know you skate or anything.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2023, 06:17:09 AM »
they know whats up when I proudly don my warehouse sale Fucking Awesome gear in front of them and their children

IpathCats

« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2023, 07:02:53 AM »
they know whats up when I proudly don my warehouse sale Fucking Awesome gear in front of them and their children

profanity around children? now thats Fucking Awesome

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2023, 08:43:08 AM »
“Wow, are you serious?”

lol what if one of them says "cool Jerry! do you also go on berrics, my sons is always on there"

SSBSTRS

• Rep: 6
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2023, 09:18:10 AM »
Hell no.

I’ve always found it funny that skating is viewed as a “childish” activity (for lack of a better word), yet it’s just as arbitrary as throwing a ball through a hoop, or whacking a ball with a stick or whatever.

whaaaaat

• Rep: 48
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2023, 09:29:57 AM »
Don't advertise it but don't hide it either. Been in the corporate world for nearly 10 years now and I've found the most important attribute of a person is for them just to have an interest or, dare I say, passion - doesn't matter what it is. 90+% of people have literally no hobbies or interests outside of work and consuming entertainment. So anyone with any actual hobby or thing they're really in to, I find is easy to connect with, even if it something wildly different from skateboarding. They will tend to "get it" and I can "get" their love for Dungeons & Dragons or fashion (real examples) or whatever it is.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2023, 09:30:50 AM »
Hell no.

I’ve always found it funny that skating is viewed as a “childish” activity (for lack of a better word), yet it’s just as arbitrary as throwing a ball through a hoop, or whacking a ball with a stick or whatever.
I generally agree (and have even used the how is skateboarding childish when most people start playing football before they even start Kindergarten argument) but I think the Olympics are gonna fuck that idea up when all the competitors aren't even in highschool yet. gymnastics prob has the same problem

Pooh Drunx

• Rep: -65
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2023, 09:48:22 AM »
Never. I hide my adult life from my skateboarding.

lots of truth to this

SupremePizza

• Rep: 72
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2023, 12:25:27 PM »
I have nothing to hide. I don't tell everyone I skate but my coworkers have worked with me for years so if someone asks what I did that weekend a lot of times I skated so that's what I tell them. My coworker used to work for Element in the mid 00s and once he found out I skated gave me an old element complete.

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2023, 01:02:38 AM »
I brought my fingerboard to work awhile ago and one of the custodians saw it. He asked if I actually skated so I showed him a clip on my phone. First mistake. Fast forward to Tyre Nichols R.I.P, this dude comes up to me at work in front of a bunch of people. “Hey I saw that horrible video of those cops in Memphis and I thought of you. You guys just seem similar. It’s a shame”
1. I barely know you
2. He’s not from Memphis
3. Nor does he know Trye
4. How are we similar? Because we’re black?

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2023, 02:11:06 AM »
I brought my fingerboard to work awhile ago and one of the custodians saw it. He asked if I actually skated so I showed him a clip on my phone. First mistake. Fast forward to Tyre Nichols R.I.P, this dude comes up to me at work in front of a bunch of people. “Hey I saw that horrible video of those cops in Memphis and I thought of you. You guys just seem similar. It’s a shame”
1. I barely know you
2. He’s not from Memphis
3. Nor does he know Trye

He's trying to be friendly and relate to you because that's what adults do in the workplace. He probably thought of you because you because it's a national news story involving a skater and you skate. I'm white and I get stuff like that all the time as well. Same as when all the stuff with the Vile Shithouse kid happened.

You might be tilting at a windmill here.

Alien Weedchop

• Rep: 2
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2023, 02:53:48 AM »
I'm 50 and work in corporate space, never talk about it at work as I grew up in the full skater hater era living in a small town.

I have a colleague that skates in his 30's and we skate now and then and everyone in his age bracket thinks it's really cool, the people my age think it's good that he's skating but think its a bit ridiculous if they find out I skate as well.

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2023, 03:42:09 AM »
I just say something like "I have to let you know I'm a skateboarder so open your mouth so I can take a dump" and they are usually pretty cool with that.  8)
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

IpathCats

« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2023, 07:27:00 AM »
1. I barely know you
2. He’s not from Memphis
3. Nor does he know Trye

I can almost 100% guarantee that aside from skateboarding this was his only reasoning.

But like @Buttfart Rapedick said, he could be coming from a good place but he's just an out of touch boomer and doesnt know how to go about talking to people of a different race. (hint, its the same as talking to your own race)

I just say something like "I have to let you know I'm a skateboarder so open your mouth so I can take a dump" and they are usually pretty cool with that.  8)

can't gnar again within 24 hrs. but i just wanted to let you know that you're killing it right now. you have a bright future here.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1154
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2023, 08:48:11 AM »
Anyone ever doing a work thing only to learn you know a colleague or acquaintances kid? Anyone's kid ever refer to you as "the homie"

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2023, 09:43:49 AM »
Anyone ever doing a work thing only to learn you know a colleague or acquaintances kid? Anyone's kid ever refer to you as "the homie"

one day I went to pick up a check from a clients house and when I entered the driveway the son walks out with a deck...he's like 12 or 13, I show him some flip tricks and shove its on the driveway and he's loving it since he just started skating.   like a week or 2 later his mom asked if I could show him how to skate lol, I actually ended up just taking the kid to a bunch of different skate parks and letting him roll around, and a few street spots that had manual pads (been my thing since im old now).  Went to an adidas demo with Mark Suciu and the Maxallure dudes at sunnyvale park and this kid loved everything about it, he then got his parents to get him a camera and lens and proceeds to tell me how he wants to be a filmer.  He made a IG video with him and his homies and he put a line that I did in it...i felt like the old dude in the club lol

Fast_Freddie

• Rep: 68
    • SOMD Skateboard Association avatar image
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2023, 10:07:49 AM »
I just tend to separate work and the real world... I am not going to shy away from talking about it if someone asks me about it, but I live in a rural area with a lot of geriatrics with old school mentalities... I find it best to keep to myself and concentrate on people/groups that are accepting and positive about the culture.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -534
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2023, 08:19:55 PM »
Expand Quote
1. I barely know you
2. He’s not from Memphis
3. Nor does he know Trye
[close]

I can almost 100% guarantee that aside from skateboarding this was his only reasoning.

But like @Buttfart Rapedick said, he could be coming from a good place but he's just an out of touch boomer and doesnt know how to go about talking to people of a different race. (hint, its the same as talking to your own race)

Expand Quote
[close]

can't gnar again within 24 hrs. but i just wanted to let you know that you're killing it right now. you have a bright future here.

This aged poorly