Author Topic: Julien Stranger, what's up with that?  (Read 10458 times)

assvogel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 202
Re: Julien Stranger, what's up with that?
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2023, 09:52:24 AM »
2:25

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2023, 10:01:57 AM »
MFers out here comparing Cairo Foster to Julien fucking Stranger
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2023, 10:05:39 AM »
Idk wtf half of y’all are even trying to say. Regardless I’ll always be jealous of dudes that can do a good backside ollie to clack. Has that one red bull speed demon flyin Hawaiian guy who skates the vans contests done a padless 540 to smack at DIY yet. That seems pretty nutty.

Idk if it’s still up but that one “style” Julian YouTube video was always a good watch.

Free max b
FREE MAX B

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2023, 10:11:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My friend asked me at the park tonight "what's the deal with Julien?"
I didn't have an answer. Maybe style? I've heard he has nice bs ollies or something.
Is it just a holdover of 80s heads who liked him in short shorts bombing the SF hills? Is it cause of the first handrail fs boardslide?
My buddy goes "I'd like to know what it is but he never films anything."
I didn't want to derail the pro Julien threads and get kooked or banned but is this the Emperor's new clothes? Is he overrated or was there a time he was top pro/style warrior?
[close]

"If he's a pro, how come he isn't posting on Youtube and IG 24/7?"
[close]
Inappropriate comparison. He's been around longer than Carroll and produced less. Koston, Markovich, all the dudes from then to now have more parts than Julien. And the Greyhound back lip, i thought it was rad but my friends said 'there's not a pro alive at the time who couldn't do it.' In fact, Cairo was going switch backside over the whole ledge. And Wu Welsh was doing techner tricks for his am checkout.

Who does he need to produce for?   He’s never been exactly loaded up with sponsors, so it’s not like he’s milking anything.   Never had a pro shoe, etc.   he does anti hero and otherwise shirks the spotlight.   

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2023, 10:17:00 AM »
I didn't have an answer. Maybe style? I've heard he has nice bs ollies or something.
Is it just a holdover of 80s heads who liked him in short shorts bombing the SF hills? Is it cause of the first handrail fs boardslide?
I didn't want to derail the pro Julien threads and get kooked or banned but is this the Emperor's new clothes? Is he overrated or was there a time he was top pro/style warrior?

He have a secret super power which makes him loved and respected by everyone smarter, more stylish and skating faster then you.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2023, 10:20:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Inappropriate comparison. He's been around longer than Carroll and produced less. Koston, Markovich, all the dudes from then to now have more parts than Julien. And the Greyhound back lip, i thought it was rad but my friends said 'there's not a pro alive at the time who couldn't do it.' In fact, Cairo was going switch backside over the whole ledge. And Wu Welsh was doing techner tricks for his am checkout.
That cover is from 1993 dude.  There is no way anyone was doing anything switch over it then and Welshs check out was at least 5 years later.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3335
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2023, 10:21:29 AM »
Trifecta!  I have now seen Slap talking shit about Gonz, Carroll and now Julien.  Who is the next unhateable all timer to get it?

If anyone says one back thing about Doug "Pineapple" Saladino I'll be in shambles.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -212
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2023, 10:22:48 AM »
Idk wtf half of y’all are even trying to say. Regardless I’ll always be jealous of dudes that can do a good backside ollie to clack. Has that one red bull speed demon flyin Hawaiian guy who skates the vans contests done a padless 540 to smack at DIY yet. That seems pretty nutty.

Idk if it’s still up but that one “style” Julian YouTube video was always a good watch.

Free max b

Skating to Bukowski
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Sid Farkus - Bra Salesman

• Rep: 30
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2023, 10:26:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I hope your just a pot-stirring troll
Free Charlie Rambo

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2211
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2023, 10:32:55 AM »
Feels kinda like OP has a hate-boner for Stranger.
Came in kooky, but mild, with the whole “help me explain it to my friend, because we don’t get it” & then transitioned quickly to making inapt comparisons to people who did different tricks at later points.
Listen, dood… I don’t know what to say beyond “who feels, knows it.”
And if you’re not feeling it?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2023, 10:33:30 AM »
anabolic ONE sounds like a played out graffitti tagger name

Beady

• Rep: 6
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2023, 11:11:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Julien's the 2nd greatest Element team rider and Real team rider of all time imho.
[close]
After who, Reese? Appleyard? Pepe? Andy Stone? Even Bill Pepper has harder tricks on Skypager. And what's that gap to "tailslide" that doesn't slide? Lavar switch fs flipped that bump with pep.
Julien looks ok on a board but so do a lot of people but it just doesn't seem deserving of so much. Nobody else thinks a lot of it is hype?

Are you telling me Bill Pepper was in Skypager?

There’s some really strange comparisons in this thread.

Maybe your friend (and you) just doesn’t like the way Julien Stranger skates and no one really needs to convince him otherwise.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2023, 11:22:10 AM »

This was shot in late 89/ early 90.

Blunt slide to fakie on a curb
Boardslide on a high flat bar etc

Pretty cutting edge….

He was the pro skaters skater.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2023, 11:28:03 AM »

This was shot in late 89/ early 90.

Blunt slide to fakie on a curb
Boardslide on a high flat bar etc

Pretty cutting edge….

He was the pro skaters skater.

that was sick as fuck, havent watched that one in awhile. i have seen most of these clips spread out a lot recently, was dope to see them all together again.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2023, 11:39:21 AM »
Julien is just one of those dudes who looks like he skates for himself and for the love of skateboarding and for no other reason. Same thing as Mark Gonzalez who I assume you would feel similarly about.

You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 134
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2023, 11:56:22 AM »
Julien's the 2nd greatest Santa Monica Airlines team rider, 2nd greatest Element team rider, and greatest Real team rider of all time imho.
Fixed
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

No Wave Comply

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2023, 12:07:58 PM »
Trifecta!  I have now seen Slap talking shit about Gonz, Carroll and now Julien.  Who is the next unhateable all timer to get it?
NATAS… so overrated. Everyone can ollie high and boardslide rails now. Also, 101 barely lasted five years or so… what a lame company.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2023, 12:54:15 PM »
timeless is the best way for me too describe him, that's how i think of him.

ExpensiveHandjoe

• Rep: 23
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2023, 12:56:00 PM »
a countless number of brown chinos and white t-shirts

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2023, 12:59:40 PM »
a countless number of brown chinos and white t-shirts

yeah, "timeless"! or is that just a severely limited wardrobe?

Skateboard Shuffle

• Rep: 136
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2023, 01:02:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If anyone says one back thing about Doug "Pineapple" Saladino I'll be in shambles.

I heard he doesn't even like pineapples.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2211
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2023, 01:06:44 PM »
Doug “Pineapple” Saladino walked so that Chris “Mango” Milic could run.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

The Mess

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
  • please don't kill me jesse.
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2023, 01:14:53 PM »
one day you’ll figure it out

but maybe you won’t
i have nothing to fear but jesse himself.

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -3
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2023, 01:39:47 PM »

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2023, 03:00:23 PM »
Your favorite Legend, favorite Legend...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2023, 06:20:03 PM »
The aspect which I've come to respect is how many years he's spanned.....he's the same generation as Micke Reyes...look at that guy.....he's somehow fit in every generation.  It's near impossible not to kook it at some point, his record is pretty flawless....

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 79
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2023, 07:09:30 PM »
i would be interested to see the stats on how many of the people who feel positively about Julien Stranger are old enough to have been paying attention to skating during the peak of his pro career (early 90s). i didn’t start to really be aware of what was going on in skating until 2000/2001ish when i was about 10 years old, and i’ll admit, i’ve never quite understood the hype. there are a bunch of legendary skaters that did their most impressive stuff before i was around (Gonz, Henry Sanchez, Cardiel, Jason Lee, Javonte, Lavar, Pepe Martinez, even Natas, Frankie Hill, Matt Hensley, etc) that I like a lot and understand the hype around despite not witnessing personally, but Julien has always been a mystery for me. I’ve watched the parts too. Style is great but not mind-blowing (imo) and the tricks never stood out much to me (especially that gap to tailslide that he kinda just taps and falls out of it that everyone thinks is incredible)

anyways, would be interested to see how many of the people in this thread riding for Julien caught his heyday or if some of them went back and caught up and felt that strongly about his skating retroactively. anecdotally, most of the people in my age group (late 20s/early 30s) that i’ve ever talked to about Julien’s skating feel pretty similarly to me

Tireeedd

• Rep: 85
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2023, 08:55:03 PM »
i would be interested to see the stats on how many of the people who feel positively about Julien Stranger are old enough to have been paying attention to skating during the peak of his pro career (early 90s). i didn’t start to really be aware of what was going on in skating until 2000/2001ish when i was about 10 years old, and i’ll admit, i’ve never quite understood the hype. there are a bunch of legendary skaters that did their most impressive stuff before i was around (Gonz, Henry Sanchez, Cardiel, Jason Lee, Javonte, Lavar, Pepe Martinez, even Natas, Frankie Hill, Matt Hensley, etc) that I like a lot and understand the hype around despite not witnessing personally, but Julien has always been a mystery for me. I’ve watched the parts too. Style is great but not mind-blowing (imo) and the tricks never stood out much to me (especially that gap to tailslide that he kinda just taps and falls out of it that everyone thinks is incredible)

anyways, would be interested to see how many of the people in this thread riding for Julien caught his heyday or if some of them went back and caught up and felt that strongly about his skating retroactively. anecdotally, most of the people in my age group (late 20s/early 30s) that i’ve ever talked to about Julien’s skating feel pretty similarly to me

I think it's like dude has a certain style that's remained timeless... I'm almost in my mid 20's and can say it took me until that slappy's love letter for me to get the full understanding of dude's being

No Wave Comply

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2023, 09:31:50 PM »
The aspect which I've come to respect is how many years he's spanned.....he's the same generation as Micke Reyes...look at that guy.....he's somehow fit in every generation.  It's near impossible not to kook it at some point, his record is pretty flawless....
So what you saying, more or less, is:
timeless is the best way for me too describe him, that's how i think of him.
He’s a timeless, flawless, successful lifer, basically. He has also looked the same and has aged gracefully. Plus, he’s goofy foot like most legendary skaters.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 10:30:56 PM by No Wave Comply »

Alexactly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • RIP
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2023, 09:46:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I truly do not understand how this post is real. Are you and your friend 15? What’s going on?

Cairo? Welsh? What the fuck are you talking about? Completely different eras - the difference between 1992/3 and 1997/8 is probably bigger than the difference between 2003 and 2023. A completely altered skate universe.

I started skating in 2000 at 12 years of age, one of millions of pubescent boys to do so in the wake of THPS’s release. I remember one of the first TWS issues I got had the Vans ad with the pic of this noseblunt:

and, though it didn’t know it at the time, it sowed the seeds of much of my skate perception and general aesthetic sensibility. I was born to late for his prime, I never fully fucked with norcal barney culture and hellride ethos, but Julien always seemed like one of the absolute coolest guys to ever ride a board. It was immediately apparent to me. It’s fine if you don’t get it, but you shouldn’t say so outloud.