Author Topic: Julien Stranger, what's up with that?  (Read 10459 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Julien Stranger, what's up with that?
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2023, 10:13:53 PM »
No I think it’s totally normal to push back when everyone claims the greatest….especially here…..

Skating has always straddled: ‘if you don’t know…you don’t know…’ and blatant progression.  It’s 2023 too…at some point those old vids just don’t count as much….it’s the same as everything else in the world……

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2023, 10:28:06 PM »
the first footage i saw of julien stranger was that early youtube vid of him messing around at wallenberg. I searched his name because I'd heard the hype and i feel like i pretty much understood what it was about right away.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2023, 12:21:06 AM »
No I think it’s totally normal to push back when everyone claims the greatest….especially here…..

Skating has always straddled: ‘if you don’t know…you don’t know…’ and blatant progression.  It’s 2023 too…at some point those old vids just don’t count as much….it’s the same as everything else in the world……

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2023, 02:43:58 AM »
i would be interested to see the stats on how many of the people who feel positively about Julien Stranger are old enough to have been paying attention to skating during the peak of his pro career (early 90s). i didn’t start to really be aware of what was going on in skating until 2000/2001ish when i was about 10 years old, and i’ll admit, i’ve never quite understood the hype. there are a bunch of legendary skaters that did their most impressive stuff before i was around (Gonz, Henry Sanchez, Cardiel, Jason Lee, Javonte, Lavar, Pepe Martinez, even Natas, Frankie Hill, Matt Hensley, etc) that I like a lot and understand the hype around despite not witnessing personally, but Julien has always been a mystery for me. I’ve watched the parts too. Style is great but not mind-blowing (imo) and the tricks never stood out much to me (especially that gap to tailslide that he kinda just taps and falls out of it that everyone thinks is incredible)

anyways, would be interested to see how many of the people in this thread riding for Julien caught his heyday or if some of them went back and caught up and felt that strongly about his skating retroactively. anecdotally, most of the people in my age group (late 20s/early 30s) that i’ve ever talked to about Julien’s skating feel pretty similarly to me

I'm in your age group and i still feel that julien is one of my favorite skaters.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2023, 06:19:10 AM »

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
  • Free Max B
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2023, 06:44:09 AM »
This thread has a real Radrat vibe to it.

You’d think vans would do some type of re-occurring cardiel/ Julien capsule situation… that’s be too easy plus they’re too busy paying dune the big bucks to sound like he just found out about skateboarding last week during all contest webcasts

Free max b
FREE MAX B

IpathCats

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2023, 06:51:54 AM »
Julien rips, there's no doubt about that. At least not from me. Definitely an all time great.

I cant help it, but the way Andy Roy says his name and mentions him all the time makes me like him less though. I know its not juliens fault, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Andy Roy: " Yea, this one time me and JEWWWLEAN..."

omg stfu

my bad cuh

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2023, 07:06:22 AM »
Julien rips, there's no doubt about that. At least not from me. Definitely an all time great.

I cant help it, but the way Andy Roy says his name and mentions him all the time makes me like him less though. I know its not juliens fault, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

omg stfu
that applies to pretty much everything andy roy says
the only redeeming quality about that man is his teeth, and they arent even real

dannyprovolone

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2023, 07:13:12 AM »
Expand Quote

omg stfu
[close]
that applies to pretty much everything andy roy says
the only redeeming quality about that man is his teeth, and they arent even real

shoutout to dr montoya

TheFandangler

• Rep: 14
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2023, 08:15:25 AM »
I feel like there’s probably a Venn diagram for those that get excited about new berrics content, those that like the nine club guys as interviewers and those that don’t get julien. And when I say Venn diagram, it’s probably just one circle.

IpathCats

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2023, 08:24:44 AM »
I feel like there’s probably a Venn diagram for those that get excited about new berrics content, those that like the nine club guys as interviewers and those that don’t get julien. And when I say Venn diagram, it’s probably just one circle.

add "rodney mullen (or &&) is my favorite skater" to that circle.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2023, 09:13:48 AM »
Are we still entertaining OP’s notions?
This is the same ding-ding that posted a Tucker Carlson clip in another thread, as a way of highlighting their disapproval of trans skaters competing as the gender they identify with.
Save your keystrokes for the “awkward situations at the skatepark” thread.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2023, 10:23:13 AM »
Are we still entertaining OP’s notions?
This is the same ding-ding that posted a Tucker Carlson clip in another thread, as a way of highlighting their disapproval of trans skaters competing as the gender they identify with.
Save your keystrokes for the “awkward situations at the skatepark” thread.

Guy called himself the “office alpha”, modern society is breaking peoples brains.

drewdc

• Rep: -85
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2023, 12:49:21 PM »
this will keep you busy

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2023, 01:02:31 PM »
White guys with buzz cuts have the highest approval rating in skating, that’s what’s up with him!

work_lurker

• Rep: 77
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2023, 05:12:39 PM »
Expand Quote
i would be interested to see the stats on how many of the people who feel positively about Julien Stranger are old enough to have been paying attention to skating during the peak of his pro career (early 90s). i didn’t start to really be aware of what was going on in skating until 2000/2001ish when i was about 10 years old, and i’ll admit, i’ve never quite understood the hype. there are a bunch of legendary skaters that did their most impressive stuff before i was around (Gonz, Henry Sanchez, Cardiel, Jason Lee, Javonte, Lavar, Pepe Martinez, even Natas, Frankie Hill, Matt Hensley, etc) that I like a lot and understand the hype around despite not witnessing personally, but Julien has always been a mystery for me. I’ve watched the parts too. Style is great but not mind-blowing (imo) and the tricks never stood out much to me (especially that gap to tailslide that he kinda just taps and falls out of it that everyone thinks is incredible)

anyways, would be interested to see how many of the people in this thread riding for Julien caught his heyday or if some of them went back and caught up and felt that strongly about his skating retroactively. anecdotally, most of the people in my age group (late 20s/early 30s) that i’ve ever talked to about Julien’s skating feel pretty similarly to me
[close]

I'm in your age group and i still feel that julien is one of my favorite skaters.

I am also in this age group and agree with the missed notion. Neither like nor dislike Julien, but I can appreciate his contribution to skating via founding Anti-Hero. Was a huge TnT fan growing up, so I really liked the Anti-Hero shit in my early teens. I'm sure Julien is a great person to have a coffee or a beer with at 11:30 pm on a Tuesday. I'd shake his hand if I had the chance, but I'm not jerking the guy off.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2023, 06:52:20 PM »

This thread title is shit.

Skateboard Shuffle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2023, 09:42:02 PM »

This thread title is shit.

boston_bruins

« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2023, 09:49:20 PM »
Dude rips, end of story, fuck off internet dork

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
  • old and in the way
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2023, 10:21:39 PM »
if you say it in a Seinfeld voice it's pretty funny

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2023, 11:05:18 PM »
Cardiel is next…..

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2023, 11:43:06 PM »
First fs board on a handrail…
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 134
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2023, 12:41:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

add "rodney mullen (or &&) is my favorite skater" to that circle.
So well put it's almost poetic.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

blackgriptape

• Rep: -13
  • All Hail Cardiel!
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2024, 07:32:10 PM »
Good Fucking Grief.

Julien Stranger Rips.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2024, 09:39:53 PM »
did the op really get banned off his first post for asking why people like julien so much? because if so that is the most slap thing of all time.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2024, 10:12:24 PM »
did the op really get banned off his first post for asking why people like julien so much? because if so that is the most slap thing of all time.

I'm all for free speech but questioning Stanger's legacy? Yeah fucking ban 'em.

Fasttimes

• Rep: -32
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2024, 10:35:14 PM »

I feel like Underworld Element was a cool A-Team type team with a lot of thought and vision. Really, For Julien to go to that team at the time was even cool at the time. Julien was really smart creating a mythos around his character. He is top notch in my opinion and also hung with Hosoi and Dressen in Venice days. Dude did it all!

Crust

• Rep: 42
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2024, 11:04:12 PM »

Absolutely hilarious. I'd love to hear from mod who did it.

greerpark

• Rep: -22
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2024, 12:44:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm all for free speech but questioning Stanger's legacy? Yeah fucking ban 'em.

Lol this forum is a trashfire echo chamber these days. OP makes 1 post asking an earnest question about a skater who's career was 30 years ago, and mods just ban him. Just to let you know, if you find yourself agreeing with most people here and think that proves anything about your beliefs, it's only because mods have banned like half of the people who have ever tried posting here for any diverging opinion.

‘Now social media will come down on you with the fury of a middle aged man who has accomplished nothing.’ - Dennis Reynolds

ollied10stairsin8thgrade

• Rep: 0
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2024, 01:57:30 AM »
good julien story
live in big euro city and skate the plaza w close homie every saturday morning early
like maybe two years ago, were skating and i see a guy accross plaza that looks like him in vans, hiking backpack, skating w a second board in hand. go over to homie and say something bout it. we both dont think its him all alone. sure enough he comes over and hands a fresh 8.75 brian anderson board to the homie who was riding a 18 board. "here man take it, sell it if you need to, skate it, whatever you gotta do" we ask him to skate but he says hes going to Barcelona via train later that morning. could have been different day but 90% sure the fs noseblunt slide in fantastic voyage was that same day as he was wearing same fit. super chill guy. we chatted for a second and then he dipped. legendary 2 minute interation that lives forever
those types of stories, gestures.... you dont get Ronaldo just dropping by your local pitch to say hello and drop some boots off.
Julien forever gonna be cool for that