Author Topic: Crail Bolts Looking To Change The Game  (Read 2440 times)

Glue Foot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Crail Bolts Looking To Change The Game
« on: February 07, 2023, 11:52:44 AM »
https://skateboarding.transworld.net/trending-news/is-girl-changing-the-hardware-game-with-these-new-bolts

Well here's Girl Skateboards with a way to solve all of that. Less threading in its new Longneck Hardware will supposedly stop that wear and tear and prevent what they've coined as "Baseplate Blowout."

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2240
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Crail Bolts Looking To Change The Game
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 12:21:04 PM »
I've been seriously considering tracking down and rocking some bridge bolts for awhile.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 12:23:54 PM »
With Gorilla Glue concrete bonding adhesive, you can skip bolts altogether.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 12:29:38 PM »
Oh man baseplate blowout keeps me up at night and I haven't skated in nearly 20 years!

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 12:43:52 PM »
With Gorilla Glue concrete bonding adhesive, you can skip bolts altogether.

make this youtube video

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 01:05:32 PM »
https://skateboarding.transworld.net/trending-news/is-girl-changing-the-hardware-game-with-these-new-bolts

Expand Quote
Well here's Girl Skateboards with a way to solve all of that. Less threading in its new Longneck Hardware will supposedly stop that wear and tear and prevent what they've coined as "Baseplate Blowout."
[close]

so confused, I don’t skate as hard as a pro of course, but been skating since 95, skated almost every bolt and truck that exists… never once has this happened to me. Is this a joke? Anyone really had this happen? Please speak up because o want to take this amazing luck and go play scratch its!

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 01:23:58 PM »
I skated 2 bolts on each truck for awhile, and I wallered out my holes…..
But I’ve never had this problem with 4 bolts tightened down correctly, pretty gimmicky

That being said, spa gear hardware for life
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 01:42:34 PM »
It happens for sure. I have found it happens more when my hardware is loose, also happened a lot when I skated on bricks more but I can only assume skating on bricks led to loose hardware. To counteract that I just make sure I tighten up my hardware before sessions. Hasn’t happened in quite some time.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2023, 01:48:03 PM »
Each time you mount trucks, use NEW nuts and make sure the bolts are long enough to engage the nylock by a few threads and this will never happen. While also factoring in that you haven't remounted trucks on the same board several times to cause the holes to widen up on the board. If you don't, these crail bolts still won't solve the issue. Therefore, gimmick.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2023, 01:56:04 PM »

bender hardware also had a similar design philosphy(?) lest thread. I remember a post about it, but don't want dig for it.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 02:06:37 PM »
I reuse deeznutz all the time, check before each skate.

That said, if it’s like a hotdog in a hallway….

35mm

• Rep: 27
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 02:44:12 PM »
If you barely tighten the bolts between your trucks and your deck, a shear load (a load parallel to the bottom surface of the baseplate) will be transferred from the deck holes inner surfaces to the bolt and from the bolt to the baseplate hole inner surfaces.
This load transfer in those areas tends to ovalize your holes with time.
If you tighten your shit enough, you are basically applying a clamping force between your deck and your trucks. This clamping force creates friction between the deck and the baseplate so that a shear load is transfered due to friction and not like the other method. In some cases the bolts dont even have to contact the inner surfaces of the holes.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 05:07:15 PM »
I've been seriously considering tracking down and rocking some bridge bolts for awhile.

We need a company to run them back.

That said, if it’s like a hotdog in a hallway….

Everything reminds me of her…  :'(
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2023, 05:13:30 PM »
Girl bolts stay black. Just wanted to say that unlike these painted silver ass diamond bolts

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2023, 05:14:48 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
so confused, I don’t skate as hard as a pro of course, but been skating since 95, skated almost every bolt and truck that exists… never once has this happened to me. Is this a joke? Anyone really had this happen? Please speak up because o want to take this amazing luck and go play scratch its!

Happened to me really badly on my last trucks which were Indy's and the trucks never sat straight. Always sat wonky and would pull super hard one way. It sucked

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2023, 05:36:41 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

My bolts routinely loosen themselves and cause my baseplate to jiggle. It doesn't bother me too much but I definitely notice it.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2023, 06:27:09 PM »
Girl bolts stay black. Just wanted to say that unlike these painted silver ass diamond bolts

Yep. Love me some crail bolts.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2023, 08:55:12 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's never not happened to me. With every set of Indy's over 16 years, and every other brand I've tried since then. I put in fresh bolts every couple decks, and I obsessively check all my bolts before each session, and even during the session. I've tried all kinds of bolts, I've tried overtightening, but no matter what I do, the holes get gouged out within weeks.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2023, 10:13:51 PM »

It's never not happened to me. With every set of Indy's over 16 years, and every other brand I've tried since then. I put in fresh bolts every couple decks, and I obsessively check all my bolts before each session, and even during the session. I've tried all kinds of bolts, I've tried overtightening, but no matter what I do, the holes get gouged out within weeks.

you riding some crazy riser setup or something? all slappy's?

you might want to try epoxying your baseplates to your board, just a little. gonna need a 5 way scraper or something when it's time to get them off, probbaly a dremel or sandingblock for the baseplate also.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2023, 11:18:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you might want to try epoxying your baseplates to your board, just a little. gonna need a 5 way scraper or something when it's time to get them off, probbaly a dremel or sandingblock for the baseplate also.
Nope, regular street setup for low impact tech, and I just learned slappys a couple years ago. A deck only lasts me six sessions or so, so gluing it every time seems a bit too much effort. I dunno, I thought it might be because of 7/8 bolts not engaging with the nyloc properly, but I only rode those for a year or so. Always using 1" before and since, and it still happens. It was especially bad on forged baseplates and Theeve. Ace Classic held up the best for some reason.
I guess I'm just doomed to keep buying and swapping around baseplates until the sweet kiss of death releases me of this curse.

BL0B

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2023, 12:04:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Nope, regular street setup for low impact tech, and I just learned slappys a couple years ago. A deck only lasts me six sessions or so, so gluing it every time seems a bit too much effort. I dunno, I thought it might be because of 7/8 bolts not engaging with the nyloc properly, but I only rode those for a year or so. Always using 1" before and since, and it still happens. It was especially bad on forged baseplates and Theeve. Ace Classic held up the best for some reason.
I guess I'm just doomed to keep buying and swapping around baseplates until the sweet kiss of death releases me of this curse.

enjoy your ovaltine!

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 45
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2023, 04:10:06 AM »

This always happens to me. It's the only reason i get new trucks, when it's too much it becomes unbearable. I skate mostly flat and some street, though i live in holland and the ground is not always that smooth so that might make the trucks jiggle.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2023, 07:02:18 AM »
It’s happened to me. I think it was on some thunders I had. But it hasn’t happened since. Or on last paid of thunders but  I’ll probably get these. When the holes get ovalled it seemed I was having to tighten my trucks more often 

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2023, 07:10:43 AM »
Thanks crail but i'll just keep my hardware tight

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2023, 07:36:14 AM »
i do have a set of trucks i have got the baseplate blowout, but they are like super super old. they are indys that still have the cross on them

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2023, 09:34:27 AM »

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2023, 05:26:21 PM »
Yawn. All kinds of weird hardware trends over the years. None lasted. Best thing to do is tighten bolts periodically and not re-use hardware too much. Eventually the nylock in the nuts wears out and doesn't work well anymore. A pack of bolts is what, $3-4? I think most people know what to do here...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2023, 06:26:37 PM »

I feel like the biggest issue here is if you accidentally sink the bolts too far into the board, there are not enough threads to actually tighten the nuts down enough to get the truck on without it moving, which completely defeats the purpose of this specific type of bolt.

Got a set of this sort of bolt from someone who was sick of them doing that exact thing, so I swapped them out for some regular bolts with a lot more thread and he was happy.

Kept this set just as an interesting keepsake for a laugh.

They do not fit on lower forged baseplates either, so that is another thing to be aware of - only cast plates and don't tighten the nuts too much.

Any bolts on any truck if not tightened down enough will cause the baseplates holes to widen out, even brand new bolts, so make sure those things are as tight as they need to be.

One other thing I do is cut up stickers and put them under the baseplate, as per some pro tip back in the day, but if you are really having issues with baseplates moving, even just a couple of strips of thin double sided tape work wonders in stopping things moving around.  Same way some people put them under rails before mounting.  Easy to put on, easy to get off, but keeps them exactly where they should be, so say the people who do that.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

BL0B

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2023, 10:02:11 PM »
One other thing I do is cut up stickers and put them under the baseplate, as per some pro tip back in the day, but if you are really having issues with baseplates moving, even just a couple of strips of thin double sided tape work wonders in stopping things moving around.  Same way some people put them under rails before mounting.  Easy to put on, easy to get off, but keeps them exactly where they should be, so say the people who do that.

really? i had a sticker land wrong under a truck once and another thing just like it was, if you painted a board and skated it right away, it crackles like rice krispies cereal, snap, crackle, pop. you think new bushing and pivot cups are bad, shit is maddening! i painted a lot of boards back in small wheels big pants days and i always taped off under the trucks after that happened a couple times. the shoe print on a boards i painted the night before and then half flipped were hilarious, plus they slid like shit unless the paint was allowed to fully dry.
even boards that i let cure for a week before setting up crackled unless i tapped them off. they did slide better though, obviously.