Author Topic: Gerry Lopez  (Read 670 times)

Marsh not mellow

Gerry Lopez
« on: February 12, 2023, 07:32:07 AM »
Anybody else watch the Stacy Peralta documentary on old surfer Gerry Lopez?

Fucking dope. Such an interesting dude. Simultaneously aggro AF but also pursuing some kind of inner peace.

He's like, "Get the fuck out of my way losers, I'm desperately trying to have soul commumion with this wave!"

Def makes me want to go skate. Also makes me want to do yoga.

livin on a speyer

Re: Gerry Lopez
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 11:19:04 PM »
And the dude was Subotai in Conan the Barbarian.

elegant_fox

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 01:50:33 AM »
Yeah, I really liked the connections of meditation and yoga with board sports. These are the kinda documentaries I get more out of.

Skateboarding tries to be too cool for school often, I’d love to see something similar for skating. I known John Gardener does it a bit. Maybe it has to do with a lot of the older people in skating having not taken good care of themselves.

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 06:45:24 AM »
I was out surfing the same spot as Gerry one day, watching him get a load of waves on his SUP. For some reason, at some point, everyone else got out and it was just Gerry and I in the line up. I was having a pretty frustrating surf on my 6'2" and then, a real nice wave popped up and I was resigned to watching Gerry get it but he turned to me and said, this one yours man, looks good. Damn, that was some serious pressure. Luckily I didn't kook it and it was the best wave I caught that day. Later on, at the showers, he came up to me to chat about my board that was made by Art Colyer in Hood River Oregon. He was stoked on it. That's my Gerry story... Still a wave hog but is pretty cool.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 07:33:06 PM »

fun fact!

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 10:53:37 PM »
Was stoked when I saw this doc
https://youtu.be/GeTMPJ2B5VE
… then not so stoked when I saw the Cariuma collab

elegant_fox

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 12:48:45 AM »
Was stoked when I saw this doc
Expand Quote
… then not so stoked when I saw the Cariuma collab

I mean, it does make sense based on what they touched on in the documentary. Gerry drove the lightning bolt brand into the ground with overexposure and poorly thought through product expansions.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 08:32:35 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Wow what a beautiful documentary. Truly inspiring. Mike Boyum what a character. For the past decade been trying to watch the elusive highly controversial documentary Sea of Darkness..

https://youtu.be/tqBLuGOyRdE

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 06:33:59 AM »
Dudes a legend. It would be dope if Lightning Bolt became a reputable brand again somehow.

Free max b
FREE MAX B

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 10:42:09 AM »
Never heard of the doc, so I'll have to definitely watch it! I've seen Peralta's other one, "riding giants", and it was so good (I think Lopez was in that one, too). I've never surfed before, but comparably to skating I feel like I could at least understand to a small extent. The end credits in that one was so special; the way they talk about what surfing meant for their lives is very touching. My fav was what this guy had to say @ 3:46:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCo-Br8uIVw

Terminal

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 10:59:41 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Wow what a beautiful documentary. Truly inspiring. Mike Boyum what a character. For the past decade been trying to watch the elusive highly controversial documentary Sea of Darkness..

https://youtu.be/tqBLuGOyRdE
Now that would be an interesting documentary. It sounds like the final version may be a little different to the original so as not to rock the surf industry boat.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2023, 12:11:51 PM »

Just ducked in to post this ^! Was just telling my buddy about Gerry being a legend the other day. Also, Conan the Barbarian is underrated, even if it ripped of Alexander Nevsky.

I’m not too fussed if his brand blew it - that’s a tradition with skate brands, too.