Author Topic: Slow Impact Arizona  (Read 7019 times)

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
Re: Slow Impact Arizona
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2024, 09:06:40 AM »
how fried do you need to get to skate small shit?
as I said I’m road-tripping from Denver so yes hella fried. You can buy shrooms from the store here lol.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 09:40:05 AM by Youoverthere »

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

addie pray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -526
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2024, 09:46:42 AM »
i understand for the trip, but to skate?

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2024, 10:47:34 AM »

Skating on psychedelics is fantastic.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

addie pray

• u a whole goofy
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2024, 10:52:48 AM »
i know, i skate on psyches a lot, but if i was going to an out of town thing that was all apparently sober-ish adults i think it wouldnt be worth it to fry up. unless you cant function without em

type

• Rep: -51
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2024, 12:05:50 PM »
Who the fuck wants some lame ass lectures with there skateboarding
I’m stuck in Fresno rn. behind that circle k across from Wendy’s

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2024, 12:32:41 PM »
I’m roadtripping from Denver. Should be there in the morning. I heard there some heavy straight edge vibes and we drink and smoke. Would they still welcome us?

yeah it’s chillin, just clean up after yourself. some of the events are at bars as well.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2024, 02:49:37 PM »
Um… Hi!
That’s me over here.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2024, 03:00:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Skating on psychedelics is fantastic tight?

goldfishboot

• Rep: 146
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2024, 04:09:59 PM »
lots of people smokin weed and drinking beers but it's not a rager vibe

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2024, 09:57:47 PM »
Went for sec. Not my vibe. Leo Baker and Patrick Praman are taller than I imagined. Other than that if you want not skate and listen to speech from Neen Williams, this is for you.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

mrosk8

• Rep: 13
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2024, 03:03:13 AM »
there is no video report about last year?

addie pray

• u a whole goofy
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2024, 05:43:09 AM »
Went for sec. Not my vibe. Leo Baker and Patrick Praman are taller than I imagined. Other than that if you want not skate and listen to speech from Neen Williams, this is for you.

harsh. sorry you spent the $.

Shtonk

• Rep: -343
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2024, 09:43:15 AM »
They let Neen Williams speak there??!

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2024, 06:57:12 PM »
The people DEMAND to know how to (in)correctly cook salmon.
Neen is there for his public.
Ice plunges up next.
Stay tuned.

Anybody remember when this dude was the young, hungry homey coming up on Affiliate?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2024, 07:31:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
The people DEMAND to know how to (in)correctly cook salmon.
Neen is there for his public.
Ice plunges up next.
Stay tuned.

Anybody remember when this dude was the young, hungry homey coming up on Affiliate?
Yes, back then he was Eugene Williams

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 268
  • often correct
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2024, 08:05:45 AM »
from what i've seen on instagram there's been lots of skating so far

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2024, 08:09:18 AM »
I think neen is cool, I did my time hating on him. Chickenbonenowisonnnn

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2024, 12:01:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

oh no it’s a free trip and I met some cool people and went to a sick local hxc show. Plus I only wanted to Ollie the big euro at Tempe park. And I got a decent amount of street footy out here. Arizona is sick. Oh parts of the architecture and skate spots discussions were very informative but also a lot of patting backs and yappin.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 12:13:24 PM by Youoverthere »

luke_gardner

• Rep: -40
  • Chicagoooo
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2024, 02:42:33 PM »
good event. Lurker Lou is hilarious, the skate ecosystem guys are kooks. highest ratio of PhDs at any skate event you could go to. Tempe in February is perfect. I had a great time. Wedge session was my favorite part

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 45
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2024, 03:17:24 PM »

Smug dorks

weregoingunion

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2024, 05:39:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
oh no it’s a free trip and I met some cool people and went to a sick local hxc show. Plus I only wanted to Ollie the big euro at Tempe park. And I got a decent amount of street footy out here. Arizona is sick. Oh parts of the architecture and skate spots discussions were very informative but also a lot of patting backs and yappin.

i mean, in all fairness, that neen panel was on sober skaters, and also included patrick o'dell, chandler burton, and nations youth founder rosie, all facilitated by skate like a girl's kristin ebeling. a lot of dudes that attended were also hungover, so that was pretty funny/ironic.

slow impact was great - there were palestinian skaters speaking on their experiences growing up until now, matt price spoke about his photography, a land acknowledgement from apache skate founder douglas miles, a documentary screening on barney page's 900+ mile skate in the name of ben raemers & mental health and suicide, o'dell held an epicly later'd premiere for episode 3 (SPOILER: ryan lay) held at the skate after school hq and mess mag release + jeff cheung/marbie art show. fuck, there was even a skate debate held at a bar that slap would've loved - two teams debating the pros & cons of a few different topics (illegal tricks & willy grinds, are we currently living in the new golden era, are skateparks good, etc). in between all the panels, events, and performances, there were plenty of chances to meet new people, skate around and explore new spots.

oh yeah - jkjhnsn was there and attended many of the events.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2024, 06:47:26 PM »
I only made it to the Land’s End Barney Page/Ben Raemers doc, and that brought a real tear to my eye. Plus the Matt Price photo show. My sister-in-law pulled up too to check it out and was hyped on Matt talking about his process.

There was so much skating to be had if that’s what you’re looking for; plus basically every other skate event is catered to the drunken debauchery.

I recommend this event as a super introvert/not great skater. Lots of variety and good stuff. I’ve been explaining it as “a skate event for grown ups/thinkers.”

Jackismydogsname

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2024, 07:24:08 PM »
I went to a few events and enjoyed them, skated, did family stuff too so wasn't all in.
 I don't see how anyone could hate on it, you don't have to do everything. You could only do the academic mornings, only skate, or only party it up.
Munzenrider did it all and more.
Lurker Lou is exactly what I love about skateboarding.
I don't like fitness influencer stuff but Neen in person is amazing.
Ryan did something awesome, put together a weekend event that any skater could find something enjoy each day.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1297
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2024, 07:09:27 AM »
They premiered Ryan Lay's epicly laterd episode that should come out next month. Ryan awkwardly left the premiere screen as it started because I think it was unsanctioned. As someone mentioned, Jake Johnson was there for the whole thing. I had to leave but my friends saw him do a perfect flat ground bs flip. I was jealous. Neen was cool irl. Lurker Lou is cool as shit. i'm glad I went.

goldfishboot

• Rep: 146
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2024, 07:28:41 PM »
^^ what do you mean unsanctioned? He knew it was going to be premiered that night well before it happened. He ducked back where no one could see him because it was too awkward for him lol but he did watch it.

it overall was a really awesome event. as someone said before, it's a choose your own experience type of thing - I personally made it to every event including the papers besides the Kyle Beachy storytelling thing because I got stuck street skating. Showed up to the following event and Ted Schmitz was wearing a cute hat with fuzzy ears on it and I immediately knew i missed something funny

stuffy academia to sincerely cool research presentations was a really good ratio, 90 percent shit that I as a passionate-about-skating dumbass could get into. Lots of fun skating, went on a couple gorgeous hikes around Tempe and Scottsdale. Good beer, great conversations.

Come next year?

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2024, 07:33:50 PM »
When they recapped the event on their podcast last year, I was sad to have missed it. To all who made this year I hope it was amazing

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

whagman

• Rep: -15
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2024, 07:58:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

i mean, in all fairness, that neen panel was on sober skaters, and also included patrick o'dell, chandler burton, and nations youth founder rosie, all facilitated by skate like a girl's kristin ebeling. a lot of dudes that attended were also hungover, so that was pretty funny/ironic.

slow impact was great - there were palestinian skaters speaking on their experiences growing up until now, matt price spoke about his photography, a land acknowledgement from apache skate founder douglas miles, a documentary screening on barney page's 900+ mile skate in the name of ben raemers & mental health and suicide, o'dell held an epicly later'd premiere for episode 3 (SPOILER: ryan lay) held at the skate after school hq and mess mag release + jeff cheung/marbie art show. fuck, there was even a skate debate held at a bar that slap would've loved - two teams debating the pros & cons of a few different topics (illegal tricks & willy grinds, are we currently living in the new golden era, are skateparks good, etc). in between all the panels, events, and performances, there were plenty of chances to meet new people, skate around and explore new spots.

oh yeah - jkjhnsn was there and attended many of the events.

that sk8 debate was too funny ahHa, slappas truly would have loved it.

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2024, 08:24:48 PM »

it overall was a really awesome event. as someone said before, it's a choose your own experience type of thing - I personally made it to every event including the papers besides the Kyle Beachy storytelling thing because I got stuck street skating. Showed up to the following event and Ted Schmitz was wearing a cute hat with fuzzy ears on it and I immediately knew i missed something funny

stuffy academia to sincerely cool research presentations was a really good ratio, 90 percent shit that I as a passionate-about-skating dumbass could get into. Lots of fun skating, went on a couple gorgeous hikes around Tempe and Scottsdale. Good beer, great conversations.

Come next year?

That’s a good summary! I couldn’t hear anything at the skate debate. So the people I was sitting around had a mini side debate.

Fun times all around. I’m exhausted in the best way.

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -31
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2024, 10:35:46 AM »

The ones who mix up their adverbs and possesive pronouns?  ;)

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1297
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2024, 09:42:24 PM »
^^ what do you mean unsanctioned? He knew it was going to be premiered that night well before it happened. He ducked back where no one could see him because it was too awkward for him lol but he did watch it.

Come next year?
It was not on the official schedule and odell told me in convo he forced him to premiere it as one of the prerequesites before agreeing to be on the panel. The "forcing" was in good spirit, but it was definitely not on the schedule slow impact put out.