Author Topic: Grand Rapids  (Read 835 times)

Bummer Vacation

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 12
Grand Rapids
« on: May 05, 2023, 06:55:37 AM »
I’m heading to GR to check out that new Steele Ave DIY & maybe Clemente. Are there any fun spots with curbs?

Also, what are good coffee spots & veg friendly food spots?

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Grand Rapids
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 05:39:12 PM »
Clemente has a long curb, maybe 2? It’s been a minute.

Premier is a must those dudes are very friendly.

Sigsbee is a one of a kind spot. 1250 sigsbee st se. It’s gotten a face lift but I haven’t been since 2019. And it was very rough but worth it.

There’s a whole Grand Rapids spot insta. Or maybe it’s gone.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 06:22:02 PM »
Good rec's^

You from Michigan @Bummer Vacation ?

Clemente is pure class and the slappy curb is a beaut. Steele Ave is not for the faint of heart, but it's fun.

Oakes St. curbs are popular, right around the corner from Premier. Go in the shop, it's fucking great.

The best slappy curbs in town (in my opinion) are in a parking garage near Fish Ladder Park. There is a perfect curb there, you won't be disappointed.

I'm a fan of Squibb coffee, Madcap is popular too. Used to go to this spot called Bitter End all the time, cool lil place.

There are lots of food in town, most spots have solid veg options and there are good Indian spots if you're into that.

Edit: as far as spots go, Clemente really has it all. We often set out to skate street and end up there all day because it's so fun.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 06:48:19 PM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Bummer Vacation

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 03:22:18 AM »

Yep. When my girlfriend finishes up her master’s this summer she has to stay in state for a year & GR is on the short list of spots we’d be open to moving to. So this is kind of a skate trip disguised as a scouting mission. Haha.

Thanks for all the info!

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 03:57:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep. When my girlfriend finishes up her master’s this summer she has to stay in state for a year & GR is on the short list of spots we’d be open to moving to. So this is kind of a skate trip disguised as a scouting mission. Haha.

Thanks for all the info!

No problem dude, hope you guys enjoy!

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 07:11:54 PM »
kalis  is building an indoor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyj3Dgzh3oM

Bummer Vacation

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 08:47:37 PM »
Steele Ave was def a lot tighter than it looks in photos but I still had fun.

The curb at Clemente was a blast but suuuuuuper slick. Took a minute to get used to.

We hit up Tacos El Cunado which was pretty good.

Stopped by the Belding park before heading home. Weird transition (per usual with Evergreen parks IMO) but I just had fun with the challenge of finding the lines.

I’ll def be back out later in the summer.

Unsaid5286

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2023, 08:01:30 AM »
Good rec's^

Clemente is pure class and the slappy curb is a beaut. Steele Ave is not for the faint of heart, but it's fun.

Oakes St. curbs are popular, right around the corner from Premier. Go in the shop, it's fucking great.

The best slappy curbs in town (in my opinion) are in a parking garage near Fish Ladder Park. There is a perfect curb there, you won't be disappointed.

I'm a fan of Squibb coffee, Madcap is popular too. Used to go to this spot called Bitter End all the time, cool lil place.

There are lots of food in town, most spots have solid veg options and there are good Indian spots if you're into that.

Edit: as far as spots go, Clemente really has it all. We often set out to skate street and end up there all day because it's so fun.

I hadn't heard of the DIY on Steele. Can't find anything online. Heading down there this week. Should I just drive down Steele and keep an eye out?

Bummer Vacation

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2023, 10:34:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Good rec's^

[close]

I hadn't heard of the DIY on Steele. Can't find anything online. Heading down there this week. Should I just drive down Steele and keep an eye out?

https://instagram.com/steeleavenuediy?igshid=MTI1ZDU5ODQ3Yw==

Look up Fluresh Grand Rapids on Google Maps. To the NW of it you’ll see Steele Ave running into a bridge with like a cul de sac. Drop a pin & go. Fun little spot.

Pony_Slaystation

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2023, 03:14:11 PM »
I don’t know if you’re a drinker or not but if you are check out the Founder’s Brewery.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2023, 04:39:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Good rec's^

[close]

[close]

Look up Fluresh Grand Rapids on Google Maps. To the NW of it you’ll see Steele Ave running into a bridge with like a cul de sac. Drop a pin & go. Fun little spot.

thanks for sharing this. managed to check out the steele ave diy and meet the kind people behind it, who ended up guiding us to another diy while pointing out some fun hills to bomb.

Bummer Vacation

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2023, 07:01:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Good rec's^

[close]

[close]

[close]

thanks for sharing this. managed to check out the steele ave diy and meet the kind people behind it, who ended up guiding us to another diy while pointing out some fun hills to bomb.

Are you talking about the hills by Clemente? Those things are nutty! Good on ya if you bombed one of 'em!

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2023, 08:48:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Good rec's^

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Are you talking about the hills by Clemente? Those things are nutty! Good on ya if you bombed one of 'em!

yep. on the way to clemente, we drove down hall street, which actually looked like a lot of fun. it reminded me of one the hills that gets skated down during the race in the movie airborne.

curve and martha street were pointed out to us but we didn't end up bombing any of the hills, just spent a ton of time at the diys.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2023, 10:37:21 AM »
@tkp were you in town for the vans demo? There was a group of dudes asking me and my buddy about steel ave...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 04:21:44 PM by Urtripping »

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2023, 02:31:11 PM »
I wish I made it out there for that. I love Grand Rapids.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 49
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2023, 07:05:55 PM »
Bit curious how GR became the central location for skate companies going through MI. Can't remember any of these companies recently bringing a tour through Detroit or anywhere else.

MtnDoucheBag

• Rep: -96
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2023, 07:42:18 PM »
I wish I made it out there for that. I love Grand Rapids.

Who knows if 5/3 ledges is still skateable ? That spot was always great

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2023, 08:49:38 PM »
Bit curious how GR became the central location for skate companies going through MI. Can't remember any of these companies recently bringing a tour through Detroit or anywhere else.

It's the shop man. Everyone at Premier does so much for skateboarding in GR. But I feel like Detroit gets its fair share of visitors just to skate or film stuff.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2023, 10:00:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's the shop man. Everyone at Premier does so much for skateboarding in GR. But I feel like Detroit gets its fair share of visitors just to skate or film stuff.

Seems like it’s 50/50. 10-20 years ago they would keep driving so it’s sick that they’re coming through the state at all nowadays.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2023, 05:09:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Seems like it’s 50/50. 10-20 years ago they would keep driving so it’s sick that they’re coming through the state at all nowadays.

Absolutely agree. The east side of the state is so sick too with the strong DIY culture. Bishop had some big name visitors this year. Detroit is also filled with spots (plenty of which were made skateable by the DIY dudes). It's definitely a destination!

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2023, 08:17:50 AM »
@tkp were you in town for the vans demo? There was a group of dudes asking me and my buddy about steel ave...

nope, was on a road trip around the great lakes.

Badavis

• Rep: 4
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2023, 06:29:28 PM »
Some of the ledges at 5/3 are still there, but they have made the spot less friendly to skateboarding the past few years.