Author Topic: RIP Thomas Taylor  (Read 16551 times)

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
Re: RIP Thomas Taylor
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2023, 04:27:35 AM »
if you read all the tributes in Thrasher it’s best summed up like this:
He built great scene in Atlanta but sucked on a personal level.
Even Grant’s and his sisters tributes are pretty distant feeling.
And yeah, he drank a lot.

jorge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2023, 08:48:45 AM »
Weird I read from ATL heavy hitters in the article (Don Fred Stormy etc) that he was cool to them, as he was to me and everyone I knew.  I don’t even think I know anyone here who he hasn’t hooked up at some point.  Yeah he vibed people a lot.  But you’re talking shit on a man who dedicated his life to skating and building a scene that has been flourishing for decades.  Sorry you’re bummed that he liked beer.  R.I.P. Mouse.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2023, 01:24:25 PM »
Weird I read from ATL heavy hitters in the article (Don Fred Stormy etc) that he was cool to them, as he was to me and everyone I knew.  I don’t even think I know anyone here who he hasn’t hooked up at some point.  Yeah he vibed people a lot.  But you’re talking shit on a man who dedicated his life to skating and building a scene that has been flourishing for decades.  Sorry you’re bummed that he liked beer.  R.I.P. Mouse.

No one disputes that he cultivated the scene.

Drinking yourself to death is a little more serious than liking beer.

People with big personalities also tend to have big flaws.  He had a big personality. RIP

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2023, 08:57:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has cause of death been revealed? Typical deaths are always detailed as car accident, natural causes, etc... It's usually never revealed unless its accidental OD or suicide.
[close]

Or, you know, it's a totally private matter which is none of our business.
[close]

guy two posts above you all but confirmed it was alcohol-related:
Expand Quote
It wasn't OD or suicide. It was organ failure brought on by living a full life.
[close]

all due respect to thomas and his massive legacy but let's not romanticize his passing like that. alcohol is a killer that's needlessly robbed skateboarding of so many major figures and while thomas did more than most of us will ever do in our lifetimes, dying at 55 of organ failure is hardly a "full life."

That's actually no confirmation whatsoever, it's somewhere between speculation and hearsay, and has no more credibility than the post alleging he took his own life.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2023, 12:38:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has cause of death been revealed? Typical deaths are always detailed as car accident, natural causes, etc... It's usually never revealed unless its accidental OD or suicide.
[close]

Or, you know, it's a totally private matter which is none of our business.
[close]

guy two posts above you all but confirmed it was alcohol-related:
Expand Quote
It wasn't OD or suicide. It was organ failure brought on by living a full life.
[close]

all due respect to thomas and his massive legacy but let's not romanticize his passing like that. alcohol is a killer that's needlessly robbed skateboarding of so many major figures and while thomas did more than most of us will ever do in our lifetimes, dying at 55 of organ failure is hardly a "full life."
[close]

That's actually no confirmation whatsoever, it's somewhere between speculation and hearsay, and has no more credibility than the post alleging he took his own life.
Not to mention how wack it is to talk negatively about someone who died.  "Drinking himself to death" fuck off kook.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2023, 08:23:00 AM »
There are certain reasons some of us stay silent on certain things.

I’ve written pages, if the server can confirm , that I have ultimately never posted because I asked one simple question before I hit post.

Does this make me better or worse?

Guess some of y’all don’t do that.

And no my judgement isn’t a 100% but I try to trust my gut.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2023, 09:28:13 AM »
Dudes arguing about what Atlanta area shop was better in a guy’s death thread was one of the shittier things I’ve seen on here. 

RIP Thomas. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2023, 10:14:25 PM »
Thomas was never nice to me. Not once.  ;D That’s not really true. Even though he seemed to despise my presence, he let me in on some secret spots, private ramps, that sort of shit. If you were skating he was… tolerant of teenage kookery. It was never personal. I doubt he ever remembered my name despite tagging along all the time with a buddy who skated for Strat and Torque. But he cared about skateboarding and did the right kind of quality control to keep Atlanta a sick place for it. He obviously meant a lot for the city. This was really evident when I moved back after many years away and the kids still all considered Strat the center of the universe generations after I did. He’s a legit legend.