Author Topic: Timeless Pros with Unmarred Careers  (Read 8620 times)

Wienerboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -103
  • Hey you're really cool and definitely not a kook
Timeless Pros with Unmarred Careers
« on: February 24, 2023, 05:39:27 AM »
This is for skaters that you have continued to respect throughout the years. Who, for the most part, have never done anything to make you cringe or consider them sellouts or anything like that, made wise career choices, etc.

I'm sure I've got a few answers, and I know most of my posts inevitably end up mentioning Jim Greco. But I think he is one of the few lasting legends that continues pushing the limits, making beautiful art, always looks good on a board, and has only grown as a skater and seemingly as a person.

Specifically I think the boards he has made under Hammers, the ones that have a layer cut out with pictures inside them, as if framed inside the skateboard, I think those bad boys are absolutely beautiful. First of their kind that I've ever seen, and to me they are literally genius design.
If my rep is ever an even number, please kindly throw me either a kook or a gnar in order to return me to my odd number equilibrium.

drewdown

• Rep: -30
Re: Timeless Pros with Unmarred Careers
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 07:41:36 AM »
Drake Jones
Keith Hufnagel

List goes on and on of genuinely good dudes over the years but those two are my jams. 

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 07:45:01 AM »
Penny
Brian Anderson
Lucero
Cardiel (?)

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 07:51:47 AM »
Elissa and Reynolds.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 07:52:06 AM »
Reynolds

Mike Carroll

Rodrigo TX
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Terminal

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 08:00:22 AM »
Add:

Louie Barletta
Jerry Hsu
Cairo
Rune
Kalis
Daewon
Haslam
McCrank

There are actually a lot

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 08:02:29 AM »
Grant

Wienerboy

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023, 08:05:27 AM »
Reynolds is tricky for me. I hold Reynolds in high regard, obviously. But I can't shake some feeling about him using riders in a somewhat unhealthy way. Someone correct me here, but in one way or another I feel like he used Antwuan's and TK's personhood to legitimize Baker's brand image until it didn't serve him anymore. Same with Jay Strickland?

Seems a good amount of previous business partners / riders for Reynolds have some beef with him not taking care of them properly. Is there anyone else that has any info or evidence of this?
If my rep is ever an even number, please kindly throw me either a kook or a gnar in order to return me to my odd number equilibrium.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 08:06:47 AM »
Ray Barbee comes to mind

assvogel

• Rep: 202
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023, 08:07:14 AM »
Max Schaaf
Dan Drehobl
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 08:27:37 AM by assvogel »

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 08:39:57 AM »
Paul Shier

Sid Farkus - Bra Salesman

• Rep: 30
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2023, 08:50:24 AM »
Reynolds is tricky for me. I hold Reynolds in high regard, obviously. But I can't shake some feeling about him using riders in a somewhat unhealthy way. Someone correct me here, but in one way or another I feel like he used Antwuan's and TK's personhood to legitimize Baker's brand image until it didn't serve him anymore. Same with Jay Strickland?

Seems a good amount of previous business partners / riders for Reynolds have some beef with him not taking care of them properly. Is there anyone else that has any info or evidence of this?
didn't he get punched in the mouth for dropping a N-bomb?
Free Charlie Rambo

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2023, 08:59:13 AM »
Mike Anderson, Silas, Lucas for people not named yet.

Maybe the key is having a career too short to fuck up so lotti, nuske

Mount St. Hermdog

• Rep: 8
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2023, 09:02:16 AM »
Penny
Brian Anderson
Lucero
Cardiel (?)
Penny rode for Supra tho :(

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2023, 09:03:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Gershon punched him but it was for Reynolds being a dick. I’ve never heard that he said that to anyone

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2023, 09:03:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

From Gershon himself.

I heard about an old incident you had with Andrew Reynolds back in 1998. What exactly happened?

That was just him feeling himself. Basically, something happened [when we were on tour together in] Australia, and I called him out for my perception of what was going on. I’ll just title it greed. At the time he said nothing to me. But then we come back to America and he comes at me at Long Beach Agenda—it was the year that Baker started—he comes at me with the children from that. I was probably stoned, but they looked like a pyramid! It was the littlest up to him in the middle, then it went down to the littlest on the other side.
This dude rolls up on me and tries to get all G like, “Yo, remember when we were in Australia and you said this shit?” I was thinking like, you didn’t even address it when I said shit to your face, and now you’re bringing all these children into it. I went to pat him on the shoulders like, “Dude, it’s not a big deal.” And he threw his arms up like, “What?” So we just walk off. But then the next trade show, people overhear Reynolds talking shit. They’re saying he said, “Fuck Gershon.” I walk in the middle of all of it looking at him, because that’s who the issue was with. I go, “Do you have a problem?” And he said yes, so I hit him.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2023, 09:06:11 AM »
FWIW, Reynolds’ take on that story seems way more probable considering Gershon’s… uh… stability
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2023, 09:10:41 AM »

"Unmarred"

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2023, 09:14:05 AM »
Jake Johnson

my bad cuh

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2023, 09:24:29 AM »
spanky?

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2023, 09:27:22 AM »
Mike Anderson, Silas, Lucas for people not named yet.

Maybe the key is having a career too short to fuck up so lotti, nuske

I was going to name drop these fellas, but I would also add Leo Romero to that list. He's been rather consistent for as long as I can remember.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2023, 09:28:51 AM »
spanky?
Well a big thing people like with Spanky is he famously completely fucked up and then came back (so much so people still talk about comeback story now even tho he's been back for longer than his original run as pro)

Wienerboy

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2023, 09:32:40 AM »
I think that makes Spanky a better candidate for this thread because his "downfall" was him just partying with Neckface too hard. He turned his life around hard and is a respectable father, husband, artist, and skating better than ever. Can't think of anything he's done that's cringey or lame. Even if you don't like his art, he's still making it and puts boards out. Love Spanly, def a good answer. 

Anti waxxer

• Rep: -12
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2023, 09:40:53 AM »
Rune, Omar Hassan.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2023, 09:56:58 AM »
Julien is he correct answer no? 

This thread seems to value the skaters who fall down, make mistakes and then make their way back versus the guys who just keep it steady….

Greco?  He was a drug addict and wore pirate shirts….unmarred?

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2023, 10:12:35 AM »
This is for skaters that you have continued to respect throughout the years. Who, for the most part, have never done anything to make you cringe or consider them sellouts or anything like that, made wise career choices, etc.

I'm sure I've got a few answers, and I know most of my posts inevitably end up mentioning Jim Greco. But I think he is one of the few lasting legends that continues pushing the limits, making beautiful art, always looks good on a board, and has only grown as a skater and seemingly as a person.

Specifically I think the boards he has made under Hammers, the ones that have a layer cut out with pictures inside them, as if framed inside the skateboard, I think those bad boys are absolutely beautiful. First of their kind that I've ever seen, and to me they are literally genius design.

I can’t tell if you’re serious saying that Greco never did anything to make you cringe. He rode for Hook Ups, had a glam rock phase as a grown ass man, used a darkslide for an ender, and said “bring don’t sing it” unironically. At least one of those had to make you second guess yourself.

I’d say Busenitz has a clean track record. Drehobl comes to mind too. Can’t say anything bad about Chico. I want to say Zered too but those early Red Bull days don’t look too good.
I think the Cyrus/Max tandem have yet to let us down either.

CanadianBacon

• Rep: -70
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2023, 10:13:39 AM »
Arto

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2023, 10:19:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I can’t tell if you’re serious saying that Greco never did anything to make you cringe. He rode for Hook Ups, had a glam rock phase as a grown ass man, used a darkslide for an ender, and said “bring don’t sing it” unironically. At least one of those had to make you second guess yourself.

I’d say Busenitz has a clean track record. Drehobl comes to mind too. Can’t say anything bad about Chico. I want to say Zered too but those early Red Bull days don’t look too good.
I think the Cyrus/Max tandem have yet to let us down either.
I remember Greco’s first interview in Transworld and it was super cringey. He came off a total goober try hard. Then he went glam and I was like, why is this dude copying me?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2023, 10:20:28 AM »
What about your seemingly quiet low-key kinda dudes like Scott Johnston?

Or style masters Kenny Reed and Nate Jones.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2023, 10:27:38 AM »
i just love conversations about "Unmarred" human lives where a bunch of grown-ass people use "cringe" as a criterion for evaluating human decisions and behavior...it's all so cringe bruh...

...social media looks fucking exhausting