Author Topic: How much gear is too much gear  (Read 4453 times)

spacial_profiling

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -88
Re: How much gear is too much gear
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2023, 11:00:55 AM »
Pretty great input here, and helps me put things into a healthier perspective. I got caught in the COVID stimulus unemployment, not having to pay rent, trap. Shit is mad dumb. Skate hoarding. I'm grateful that now I can pass on most things, no matter how cheap. But, I've still got about 100 decks and about 50 brand new tees. Thinking of just selling entire lots on eBay. Had 90+ pairs of shoes at a time, down to 50. Had 12 setups ,now 2-3. I wish all I had were my 5 favorite wall boards and 2-3 backups. I have about 50 individual boards I'll prob never part with. Others, I have or had doubles, triples, and even more of some boards. I will say, setting up a new board you loved years prior is probably one of the best feelings that this hastily wastefulness has afforded me.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2023, 12:17:48 AM »
Triples is best. Triples makes it safe.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 984
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2023, 06:35:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i stack up alot, but i buy most when its on sale

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Bb43rbc.jpg[/ img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/SRdqdX7.jpg[/ img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/POPcUct.jpg[/ img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/7CG99AS.jpg[/ img]
[close]

We found who keeps Bronson Speed Co. in business...
[close]

Bitter as always
[close]
Not even remotely better fucko I run Bronsons. Try harder.
[close]

You know what?

Bronsons are for big fat stupid dummies.

There, I said it.
[close]

Their ceramics are fast as hell...that comment oddly ignorant coming from you.
[close]

I'm sure the ceramics are fine, im just clowning around, figured the "big fat stupid dummies" gave that away haha.

I would just much rather give the guys at quantum my $

My ceramics were free =D

That said, if I was in the market for ceramics, the Bronsons deliver for $70 (easily picked up for $55) - Apples to apples, at $60 Quantum are Hybrids? Are they even ceramic balls or just steel with their "GraphFlo(TM) ceramic technology"? Not a dig, I just don't know...and BONES Swiss Ceramics are what, $163? Ceramic Super Reds are $95? Modus $70, ACER cermaics are currently $40 (wonder how those are): https://www.acerracing.com/products/acer-sk8-ceramic-skate-bearings-608-bearing?variant=15203708665891&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0oagBhDHARIsAI-BbgfSKzvxtHXttvcV7-Ji7MJ3b7Hfi5GqPabtgcJ2ij4-GacOPimyOK0aAqy1EALw_wcB
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 11:02:32 AM by Xen »

boneless900

• Rep: 54
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2023, 09:18:01 AM »

Triples of the roadrunner, the nova and the barracuda

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2023, 09:46:48 AM »
I could open a small shop with the amount of stuff I have. Most of the decks are wall hangers and no going anywhere thou.
But I can't be the only one with a set-up at work, a cruiser and set-up in my garage (2km from my flat), and different set-ups at home. One from the nineties that will never be skated, one similar to my first proper set-up as a kid. Few beer runner cruisers (so can lend them to mates), plus the set-ups I actually skate.
Lol.
No wife. No kids. Get to do what I want. Thankfully my local moved as it was between my watering hole and my flat. Like 200m away...

truthislie

• Rep: 56
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2023, 09:54:00 AM »
I have 4 decks on ice which I bought on sale (usually have one), about 8 pairs of shoes including the 3 that are being skated in rotation atm. 1 pair of trucks, 1 pair of wheels and bearings. 3 old skated, but ok setups. 2 wallhangers (a present from an Artist and a real klansman reissue which I will never skate).

Felt weird about having so much stuff but some answers here make me feel better about my hoarding.

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2023, 06:11:44 PM »
I accidently ended up with three different sizes and models of thunder trucks, one is in rotation but they've all been skated. I have a shoe box full of misc hardware and an old set of wheels, I have four pairs of shoes on ice, and a deck with a sheet of jessup waiting.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1391
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2023, 08:32:21 PM »
ive got too many pairs of shoes that I can't wear cuz my right foot has gone up a full size at 38 years old. buncha 10.5s that need to go...

I think that when i came back to SLAP and skating after 8 or so years away in 2019 I got caught in the sale gear thread cuz I'd never had a debit/credit card until I was in my early 30s and couldn't really buy shit online. Don't have as much stuff as most people seem to have but more than I need. Got a couple Real full SE on ice because i really like that shape and want to come back to it someday. Couple other things that just might be cool to have in 5 or ten years or if I have a kid within the next few years, they'll have have some cool shit to mess around with when I'm crippled at 55.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

signtime

• Rep: 1
  • Big Mountain Snowskating!
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2023, 08:37:00 AM »
Oh, I'd say it depends on how many types of skating you like to do. 1-5 boards for each type to cover the range of difficulties and conditions.

I like to do about 10 types, so I have about 30 setups. But one of my main goals with my quiver is to be able to ride any terrain on earth.

It's been worth the investment to be able to explore the niche skating categories.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1954
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2023, 09:03:05 AM »
Oh, I'd say it depends on how many types of skating you like to do. 1-5 boards for each type to cover the range of difficulties and conditions.

I like to do about 10 types, so I have about 30 setups. But one of my main goals with my quiver is to be able to ride any terrain on earth.

It's been worth the investment to be able to explore the niche skating categories.

this is the most fucked up thing I've ever read

signtime

« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2023, 09:42:28 AM »
No worries though, I keep it pretty pruned to what I need and give a couple away each year to kids who wanna learn

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1954
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2023, 09:45:23 AM »
I'm mostly yanking your chain, but I did a double take when I saw 30, haha

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2023, 10:25:27 AM »
Fuck, I have so much shit it's not even funny. One tote bag full of new trucks, one full of new wheels and a pretty well filled one with bearings, bolts, bushings and wax, and then about 20-25 decks.

I'm curious, I want to try stuff, but except for the deck I'm not hard on my gear.
I just retired my 2 year old ricta speedrings and noticed that both of the film's I set them up with are slightly bent, so I'll finally start skating my royal ikp's.

signtime

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2023, 10:49:07 AM »
I'm mostly yanking your chain, but I did a double take when I saw 30, haha

Yeah about 30 completes and lots and lots and lots of parts.

But we're talking park boards, longboards, slalom boards, snowskates, mountain boards, e skates...

And then it's like the subcategories of street/urban/vert or cruising/ultra/downhill or tight/giant/banked or park/all-mountain/powder/carving....

Then Im constantly dialing them for a specific event or venue.

Idk man, I got a gear fetish lol. 20+ years skating, so Ive had a lot of time to collect.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 674
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2023, 11:02:27 AM »
i keep 4 completes
i try to keep like 1 of each truck size that i like (8" / 8.25" / 8.5" / 8.75") I decided i like all these sizes of trucks for different reasons, and will keep a setup dedicated to each one. i am in a really good position to have all this stuff because i collected it over the years + i am well into my 30s. I like Venture / Thunder / Indy / Ace all for different reasons, and i feel like each one does a better job for different sizings (indy being the best "overall" but i find them very boring now!  8))

other than that, i have a few old shitty decks sitting around that i want to give away, and 2 brand new decks i am about to set up that are "on ice". 2 pairs of shoes brand new as well but i am also starting to skate one of them.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2023, 11:31:18 AM »
ive got too many pairs of shoes that I can't wear cuz my right foot has gone up a full size at 38 years old. buncha 10.5s that need to go...
I’m in a similar position and it only became noticeable after women started roasting me over how many shoes I have, which is probably in the 20-30 range. The ones that do fit are 2 pairs of 1010, 2 pairs of 808, and 1 pair of Crockett Hi.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 674
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2023, 12:02:32 PM »
haha holy fuck 30 completes, is this Sluggo's account?

signtime

« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2023, 12:45:08 PM »
Cringiest part about it is that all my shit is on display racks, and Im always tiffing with my partner cuz we cant park a car in the garage cuz it's set up to look like my personal REI-themed boutique. 😬

It's so fucked up lol.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2023, 02:36:59 PM »
Cringiest part about it is that all my shit is on display racks, and Im always tiffing with my partner cuz we cant park a car in the garage cuz it's set up to look like my personal REI-themed boutique. 😬

It's so fucked up lol.

Man I can relate to this. I used to work for REI so I stockpiled a bunch of outdoor gear, mountain bikes, etc. I also have a bunch of skate shit from lurking the sale thread and collecting stuff.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2023, 03:33:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I’m in a similar position and it only became noticeable after women started roasting me over how many shoes I have, which is probably in the 20-30 range. The ones that do fit are 2 pairs of 1010, 2 pairs of 808, and 1 pair of Crockett Hi.

ya, I don't have thaaaaat many but for what's a half size too small and that's small enough to destroy my gait and subsequently hips and lumbar spine, 4 pairs of new half cabs, 1 pair new AVE, 1 pair saucony jazz hemp, just gave away a pair of adidas. 7 pairs that don't fit...

As far as what fits, a homie recently kicked down 2 pair of size 11 blazers and a pair of #440 hi, got a pair of new balance 997h that are untouched as well. then there's the flip flops that stay in the van, the flip flops that are at the door. Xtra tuff neoprene boots, crocs, hiking boots. i wear all these though

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2023, 03:45:57 PM »
If you have leftover gear when you die you can just have it buried with you

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 44
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2023, 03:50:58 PM »
I'm a 34 yr old bartender in Alaska, I don't always get to skate as much as I'd like, so sometimes I'm not super consistent. Got super tired of snapping the nose off on frontside flips.

Now I only skate the Powell flight 243 decks anymore, the fuller 8.25" shape. The kicks are mellow which I appreciate. The concave is kind of steep but I'm used to it and it kind of "breaks in" after a while. I always spraypaint them a plain color.

I have a fall/winter/spring/cruiser/rough spot setup, and a normal one

I don't keep any decks or wheels or anything on ice.

I have an old Indy board-carrying pack with a lil box with spare bolts, bearings, tools, wax and stuff.

I scoop work pants, tees and sweatshirts from the thrift store

I do however have like 5 pairs of shoes on ice, all with superfeet flex footbeds. Some superglue gel on deck to soak into the seams after the sesh

I pretty much just have two setups and a buttload of shoes

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2023, 08:17:49 AM »
If you skate a lot I dont think you can ever have too much gear

that being said there was one winter I just kept snapping boards, so I started stocking up on decks. Had a kid, and now I dont skate anything that would warrant a board breaking so theres a pile of decks in my closet.

Dont even get me started on my stack of Huf kicks collecting dust. Never realized how bad they hurt my feet until I started wearing New Balances

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2023, 11:10:10 AM »
Selling some half cabs that dont fit on Craigslist today. Yeah boy

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2023, 04:22:58 PM »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2023, 03:07:18 AM »

BONES Swiss Ceramics are what, $163? Ceramic Super Reds are $95? Modus $70, ACER cermaics are currently $40 (wonder how those are): https://www.acerracing.com/products/acer-sk8-ceramic-skate-bearings-608-bearing?variant=15203708665891&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0oagBhDHARIsAI-BbgfSKzvxtHXttvcV7-Ji7MJ3b7Hfi5GqPabtgcJ2ij4-GacOPimyOK0aAqy1EALw_wcB

I know this is a month old but I can answer some of that.

Acer ceramics are mediocre Amazon style bearings. Shitty metal so they might be decently fast at first but will likely slow down quickly with any real use. Mine did. You can probably get exceptional pairs in the cheap bearing lottery, but there's a reason they're $40. Mine had multiple shields that were rubbing right out of the box so I'm not sure how good the QC is or if they're just ordering them loose bulk or what but I had to swap them with cheapshots shields. I think they initially tried to market them to some other niche before pivoting to skaters, but that might be a different brand.

Not had modus ceramics but the 7s, titanium, and blues were all quality within their relative price range. I would be confident buying them but also wouldn't expect them to be magic beans.

Swiss ceramic price tag sounds outrageous on paper but I do have a set and will say that if you want a fast bearing that stays that way for years they fit that description better than anything else I own. They're probably the second fastest bearings I've skated (rockets are first) and they haven't deteriorated much. I don't baby them the way I do the rockets either.. I'm not sure I've ever cleaned them or even felt the need to pop the shields and address an issue. High performance, low maintenance.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2023, 04:36:09 AM »
2 skatebirds = gtfo

OhioGuy

• Rep: 65
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2023, 05:17:41 AM »
I regret getting two spare pair of TyShawn’s on sale. They’re too narrow. Got some 440s and they fit like a dream. Tempted to snack them now. My new rule for shoes is I won’t bother with any I need to “break in.” All of my favorites have fit well out of the gate.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2023, 05:59:57 PM »
I regret getting two spare pair of TyShawn’s on sale. They’re too narrow. Got some 440s and they fit like a dream. Tempted to snack them now. My new rule for shoes is I won’t bother with any I need to “break in.” All of my favorites have fit well out of the gate.

I like that rule. For you.

For me, if there is no break in time needed (good to go outta the box 🤢) my old person feets are gonna be bummed. I need mine orthopedic

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2023, 07:23:42 PM »
I have 15 pairs of kicks minus 4 pairs of boots

I made myself throw a pair of nike air max 90s today that I got in 2013, sole crumbled last fall...

Trying to make myself throw this pair of vans sk8 his out too sole is almost gone and they feel like barefoot.

Nostalgia is a hellova drug
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser