Author Topic: Best Slappy Wheels?  (Read 4643 times)

reptar_bar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
Best Slappy Wheels?
« on: March 02, 2023, 10:15:48 AM »
Trying to get better at slappy grinds and wondering what kind of wheels make slappy’s easier, big or small? Like should I try some tiny wheels or some big chonkers? What’s everyone’s preferred wheels for slapping? 

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
Re: Best Slappy Wheels?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 10:20:50 AM »
For me: Spitfire F4 97a Classic 54-56mm.

Small enough for me to not have to push so much, soft enough for crustier parking lots, can still slide, and the rounder shape gets me on the curb easier.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 10:21:15 AM »
The beauty of slappies is anything works.

60mm 95a. Roll on with ease, a bit of grip to really lean into it on the approach.

or

50mm 101a. slip slide around, lots of hanger exposure for more grind room.

Slappies are great b/c you don't have to overthink things. Run what you brung.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 10:40:36 AM »
Lots of opinions in the Slappy/Curb thread...easily searchable.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116360.msg3539446#msg3539446

Personally, I think the Bones V5 is the best slappy wheel I've skated, round enough to not be fickle getting onto curbs, and the square edge locks in very nicely. I run 52s and slappy just fine. I usually don't go past 53/54 for a primarily 'street' setup.

Larger spit classics will also work very well, though I find the smaller you go with classics the easier it is roll out getting on or off during the slappy grind of choice.

Much will depend on the type of curb...is it worn and rounded? Square edged? But any wheel, likewise, any setup will work...it's ok to slappy AND do flippity shit...you don't really need a 10" board and 169s (most double sided curbs can easily be skated with 159/149s, but you do you).

Absolutely hate spit tablets for slappys...so many willy grinds for some reason.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 10:49:27 AM by Xen »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 11:28:10 AM »
Below 48 can get a bit difficult to get on regular curbs.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 11:28:49 AM »
lol i'm usually opposed to "specialty gear" questions like this, but with slappys i think it's funny because theoretically it seems they would be easier with either really small or really large wheels, doesn't matter which, and only relatively more difficult with medium sized wheels (53mm-56mm).

although in practice i don't think it makes a difference

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 11:38:34 AM »
53mm OG classics F4 have been nice to me
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 11:40:00 AM »
Lots of opinions in the Slappy/Curb thread...easily searchable.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116360.msg3539446#msg3539446

Personally, I think the Bones V5 is the best slappy wheel I've skated, round enough to not be fickle getting onto curbs, and the square edge locks in very nicely. I run 52s and slappy just fine. I usually don't go past 53/54 for a primarily 'street' setup.

Larger spit classics will also work very well, though I find the smaller you go with classics the easier it is roll out getting on or off during the slappy grind of choice.

Much will depend on the type of curb...is it worn and rounded? Square edged? But any wheel, likewise, any setup will work...it's ok to slappy AND do flippity shit...you don't really need a 10" board and 169s (most double sided curbs can easily be skated with 159/149s, but you do you).

Absolutely hate spit tablets for slappys...so many willy grinds for some reason.

Lmao dude I have been running spit tablets since they came out and notice that I slip out of 50’s on anything rounded when slapping. Maybe I’ll try something else next time.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 967
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 11:45:43 AM »
Depends on your coast.

West coast angle vs east coast over vert.

I feel smaller wheels like 52 down are easier on over vert. Lighter is better for me when slamming into curbs. Lower trucks too.

Everything is easier on a block or curb when you're low and slow

I don't slappy much tho. I like to pop in and out so I ride everything big for speed mostly.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 11:48:56 AM »
Below 48 can get a bit difficult to get on regular curbs.

I was given some 47mm wheels and I found them to be frankly dangerous for slappies. I don't understand how anyone could use them for that.

As for my favorite Slappy wheel, I definitely find that a wheel with a rolled over edge helps. I just use Spitfire F4 Classics. The wheels I have now were I think 53mm when I started, and I'd guess they're ~50-51mm now. They work fine, I see no need for a "slappy" wheel, whatever that would entail.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 12:41:41 PM »
I love bigger wheels 56mm-60mm for handling all-terrain, but when it comes to slappies they kinda throw me off. Like I'm hanging onto a weird angled roll instead of a grind. I actually prefer 52-54mm classic shaped F4's for curbs and coping. Feels more graceful, if that makes sense.

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2023, 02:02:44 PM »
it doesnt matter at all. anything works. dont buy into the whole ‘curb setup’ bs

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2023, 02:47:15 PM »
I find just the Spitfire 99a F4 classics in the 53mm range to be the best (let’s say 52mm-55mm).  Not a fan of more squared-off wheels for slappies personally

DeadSquidMask

• Rep: 8
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2023, 02:54:39 PM »
When learning, I found that the biggest, hardest wheels possible where they key for finally getting “it,” more so than the shape.

I added risers and found the taller setups worked very well for slappies, for me.

Then I reverted to the normal gear, making the change gradually. It really helped me get comfy and learn stuff. Now I skate curbs more than anything else.

Bupstop

• Rep: 40
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2023, 02:56:06 PM »
Spitfire Classics work best for me. The round edge helps me pop over onto the curb or ledge. I use 52s. I can slappy on squared off wheels but I find it easier with the classic rounded.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2023, 03:53:51 PM »
any wheels you want will work fine

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2209
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2023, 07:23:54 PM »
Echoing what so many others have said: I’ve never tried a size/shape I wasn’t able to smack a proper slappy with.
Try to resist over thinking it: whatever you’re running right now is great.
That said, those Spitfire Lock-Ins are real nice & easy due to the rounder conical outer lip to ease you on & squared off inner lip to hold you there. Essentially 1/2 Conical & 1/2 Tablet. No big deal, though.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2023, 07:52:35 PM »
54 classics.

I can’t stand how skinny they are but they glide up a curb with ease

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2023, 08:02:24 PM »
54 classics.

What do you not like about the skinny?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2023, 08:08:09 PM »
it doesnt matter at all. anything works. dont buy into the whole ‘curb setup’ bs

It's funny, I hit the local curbs and there's rarely a person NOT on some behemoth board (and skating slow), and yet a few are always like 'I can't/don't flip my board anymore, it's too big'...

I don't get it? I lose tricks on big ass boards, but I don't lose slappies on an 8.125. What's worse is watching them try and shove or flip (let alone out of a grind)...they almost never pop out..so gross...clunk, bail....these aren't old dudes either.

I skate curbs like ledges, I bring my pop out game when slapping for almost all tricks.

Curb killer on the other hand...man knows how trick in and out of slappies.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2023, 08:08:40 PM »

All that needs to be said.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2023, 08:39:16 PM »
IMO it depends on what you're doing. When I learned slappy 50s, nosegrinds, and smiths, I definitely didn't care much and if anything, preferred conical fulls. Once I tried to learn crooks, I could never lock in properly. Moving to a slimmer shape helped me get into them consistently. Also a slimmer wheel usually helped me hold onto noseslides longer. I don't think there's a magic wheel that will help with slappies in general, but the shape and surface area definitely do play some noticable part.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2023, 08:41:48 PM »
as far as normal street wheels go (52-56mm 99-101a) I dont think it matters.

maybe with super small wheels or super big wheels it could cause an issue, haven't tried anything smaller than a 52 in over 10 years, haven't tried anything over 56 for regular wheels. I did have issues with cruiser wheels though, little sticky.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2023, 11:26:36 PM »
Size really doesn't matter. Shape only really matters on your preference and how you hold certain grinds, ie-some people can't lock 50's on round wheels as well, some people can't lock K's on square wheels.
I like 52's(in general) because I find nose slide to K or 180 nosegrind easier on smaller wheels.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2023, 12:23:35 AM »
Expand Quote
54 classics.

[close]

What do you not like about the skinny?

Honestly, they just feel they’re more edge than riding surface and most of the spots I like are a tad too crusty for them, I found my compromise in the f4 radial. It’s the healthy mix of rounded edge and wheel bottom for me

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2023, 05:02:36 AM »
I think any wheel works.

Anyone remember when OJ marketed those round wheels as good for slappies  ::)

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2023, 05:16:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's funny, I hit the local curbs and there's rarely a person NOT on some behemoth board (and skating slow), and yet a few are always like 'I can't/don't flip my board anymore, it's too big'...

I don't get it? I lose tricks on big ass boards, but I don't lose slappies on an 8.125. What's worse is watching them try and shove or flip (let alone out of a grind)...they almost never pop out..so gross...clunk, bail....these aren't old dudes either.

I skate curbs like ledges, I bring my pop out game when slapping for almost all tricks.

i'll admit that at my age, my trick selection and style has transitioned into being 90% 'slappy guy' but i still like to flip my board, pop my board and do everything else. i learned how to slappy on a 7.75 with literal bearing condoms and probably some 5" wide hangers on some Royals in the early 00s so the whole dedicated curb setup thing just seems like a gimmick to sell gimmicks to people

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2023, 05:39:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

stop bullying me!

i can slappy on any board. i agree, but personally prefer a wider board. in general.
i do believe a wider truck helps a little, and the leverage, but it shouldnt matter to the point of changing your setup.
but i think i lot of guys just like skating the big boards sometimes. its like dumb fun. i think the whole curb setup thing comes from people seeing curbs as the one place where they can just play around with some big boards if they normally skate smaller decks. its all about having some fun and nothing too serious.

on topic, i think smaller wheels are better, especially for those real 90 degee curbs here.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2023, 06:27:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Where I am, there are a few of these people but they never seem to be connected to whatever nascent "scene" exists around curbs - they always seem like old guys who kinda got sold on the idea of building a "slappy complete" or otherwise believe that one must skate an 9" deck with no nose if they are over ~35. I always kept my popsicle, but there was a moment of weakness, when I was returning to skating, where I bought a Welcome shaped deck with 159 trucks and shit, because I just kind of ambiently understood that this was the normal size skateboard for someone my age. Nowadays, I skate between an 8 and 8.25" almost exclusively.

Almost all of the best curb skaters at my local spots are skating what I would consider a fairly "standard popsicle" in the 8-8.75" range.

I personally find it much easier to slappy with 144-149 trucks, which when combined with a relatively narrow wheel like a Spitfire Classic, will lock in perfectly on most average double-sided curbs. Wide trucks lack this ability, and there's substantially more metal one must lift all the way on top.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2023, 06:36:34 AM »
Quote from: Andmoreagain link=topic=12e5637.msg3973540#msg3973540 date=1677848556
I think any wheel works.

Anyone remember when OJ marketed those round wheels as good for slappies  ::)

You mean these?

I honestly forget where, why and how I have them. Instant flat spots I imagine.