Author Topic: Turbulence  (Read 912 times)

Tear Up a Trick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
Turbulence
« on: March 04, 2023, 07:49:59 AM »
Maybe getting older factors in, but turbulence toleration is getting low.

Anybody else white knuckling during the bumps?

Any bad stories?

Any tips for handling it better?

This story about the Luftansia flight with McConaughey's wife makes me want to take the train, because there are never train crashes.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
Re: Turbulence
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 11:17:24 AM »
Flying sucks. I only take two flights a year..was caught up in a massive storm few years ago fucking people screaming plane got hit twice but lighting..never fly flybe. Cunts landed in Lyon cause of storm but carried on to Geneva...never again...I'd take the Eurotunnel but I don't wanna leave my cat for extra days

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 11:31:57 AM »
I hate it. The second I feel the slightest bump the anxiety kicks in and I white knuckle.

The most annoying part is air travel is quite safe and planes are built to withstand turbulence. I just wish my brain would understand that and behave rationally.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1472
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 05:33:19 PM »
The one time I flew first class, I took advantage of their free booze and was pretty lit when the plane hit turbulence.

If you're in first class and drunk, don't enjoy the turbulence by raising your hands in the air like you're on a rickety roller coaster, you'll get cut off. Just pretend you're not enjoying it and stay quiet or feign terror.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 05:46:13 PM »
One of my homies who ran a distro was in a plane crash about ten years ago….pretty gnar…

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 12:29:34 AM »
I've done like half a dozen transatlantics against the Tradewinds perched on the corner of some cargo pallet in the back of a c-130. Hitting turbulence on a commercial jet is a kiddie coaster for me, I probably unconsciously say "weeee!" when it happens.

Turbulence is totally normal and the plane is literally designed to handle it. Don't freak out. The staff WILL tell you if it's time to freak out. Also so you're aware they'll often just tilt the nose down and head for cleaner air pretty sharpish (as long as you're not on one of the major commercial tracks) which people always think means they're crashing when in reality they're just changing lanes to one with smoother pavement.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1579
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 02:04:29 AM »
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1207
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2023, 05:34:53 AM »
Had to fly down to Florida two days ago.

My arms are still recovering.

8)
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1057
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2023, 05:43:45 AM »

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2023, 05:57:42 AM »

Pasta Monster

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2023, 06:10:12 AM »
Maybe getting older factors in, but turbulence toleration is getting low.

Anybody else white knuckling during the bumps?

Any bad stories?

Any tips for handling it better?

This story about the Luftansia flight with McConaughey's wife makes me want to take the train, because there are never train crashes.
You obviously don’t live in Greece. Anyways, I used to vomit on any flight longer than four hours. Drinking sparkling water, yawning to counter the ear-popping, and avoiding airplane food aside from packaged snacks all help. Even though people enjoy alcohol, it just gives me the spins and makes the turbulence worse.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2023, 07:54:06 AM »
Has anyone here ever been on a flight where they've told you something is seriously wrong and it's not just turbulence? Would be crazy to see everyone around you freak out and also freak out yourself thinking you could be about to die
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2023, 03:20:11 PM »
Yo, I’m on a plane right now. Bombardier CRJ900. If I hit some tUrbUlAncE I’ll holla back…

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1207
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2023, 04:08:55 PM »
Yo, I’m on a plane right now. Bombardier CRJ900. If I hit some tUrbUlAncE I’ll holla back…

RIP GardenSkater77 ?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2023, 05:05:55 PM »
I'm a big time puss when it comes to flying. Probably doesn't help that I've seen almost every episode of Mayday either... Used to watch it late at night on the Discovery channel before I fell asleep and would have nightmares about plane crashes and/or being lost at sea. Hell, the last time I flew was about 10 years ago and that goddamn show popped up on the seatback TV. Been watching it again a lot on YouTube lately and still find it pretty fascinating.

I guess it's just an irrational fear as I've never even experienced anything remotely alarming  on any flights before. It's just the take off and landing process that freak me out. Oddly enough I've flown in helicopters more times than in planes, though spent less time in them. Still they never gave me the same feeling even though helicopters crash more often than planes. I just looked it up because I am that boring.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2023, 05:14:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

RIP GardenSkater77 ?

Landed. No turbulence. Sorry to concern everyone.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2023, 06:50:09 PM »
i used to fly cross country, from CA to MA, 4 to 6 times per year. Did this for about 8 years. I was a fool and never opted to get a credit card with miles and get those free upgrades, so it was usually whatever economy window seat I could score at the right place. I used to love hanging out in airports and get really, really drunk. Plane rides were a cinch, drink a bunch of beers, take a pill, and call me McFly because i've time traveled across the continent. Never really experienced much turbulence other than falling asleep in seats that weren't mine a few times...

I've recently flew again, just over the past few weeks. Weathers been rough and turbulence was a thing. I don't drink or take pills anymore, so it's a lot more noticeable. More of an annoyance than a fear thing though. I'd rather have 20 min of turbulence than strangers talking at 530am
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2023, 08:16:34 PM »
Has anyone here ever been on a flight where they've told you something is seriously wrong and it's not just turbulence? Would be crazy to see everyone around you freak out and also freak out yourself thinking you could be about to die

I was on a plane and just as we were about to land the plane pulled up and we had to do another loop around the airport.

My neighbor was a former stewardess, she went on and on about how aborted landings were rare and it had to be something big. Apparently there was a bus or something on the runway.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2023, 12:36:17 AM »
i was about to board a plane and they discovered a mechanical failure. that freaked me out. i had to wait 12 hours at the airport for another flight. i spent a large chunk of my wait binging later episodes of shitty simpsons for some reason.
i hate flying. being stuck in a tube high up in the sky. i get sweaty just thinking about it. even with the debilitating amount of klonopin i have to take just to do it.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2023, 02:16:42 AM »
The only time i get really nervous when flying is when I'm landing at SFO, especially if you're on the right side of the plane.  You're about 2 feet over water until the runway comes out at the very last second.

whaaaaat

• Rep: 46
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2023, 02:14:13 PM »

I was on a plane with my family when I was like 15 flying from Boston to Seattle. Soon after takeoff a burning smell started permeating the cabin and you could see more and more people start to notice, then a stewardess comes running down the aisle and tears open the sheets b/w economy and first class and the stewardesses' are just literally running up and down the aisle while the tension is mounting in the plane. Finally the captain comes on and says there is an electrical fire and we're going to make an emergency landing in NYC. As soon as we get below the clouds the whole runway is LIT UP with emergency vehicle lights - must have been dozens of fire trucks, ambulances, cops, etc just waiting for us. People screaming, crying, hyperventilating, praying, etc. I'm writing this some 20 years later, so obviously it was fine. We landed and deboarded safely. We got put up in a hotel and turned on the news and saw ourselves filmed deboarding on the runway. Home to Seattle safely the next day.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2023, 02:17:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was on a plane and just as we were about to land the plane pulled up and we had to do another loop around the airport.

My neighbor was a former stewardess, she went on and on about how aborted landings were rare and it had to be something big. Apparently there was a bus or something on the runway.

I was on a flight that did that once. I was sitting next to a huge black dude who looked absolutely terrified. I was strangely chill about it.

I don’t know the cause but I’ve done that approach dozens of times and it seemed like we descended really late and steep and then were too high when the runway appeared under us.

My only other alarming experience was on a flight that was nearly empty. I had a whole row and so did the guy across from me. As we were taxiing, the guy across from me was looking out the window and then paged the stewardess.

“I just saw a box get sucked into the engine.”

The pilot comes out and asks “how big was it?”

Guy mimes a 2 foot cube.

We go back to the terminal and ground crew pulls out 3 huge trash cans full of paper. Apparently it was US Mail had fallen off the cart. Had to wait 2 hours while technicians checkedout the fan blades.

I always wonder what would have happened if the guy next to me hadn’t been looking out the window.

companguero

• Rep: 248
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2023, 03:15:51 PM »

At an altitude of 20,000 feet there are things yall should be a LOT more concerned about than “Turbulence”.

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2023, 05:32:57 PM »

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2023, 05:50:28 PM »

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2023, 07:04:40 AM »
Oh I also wanted to mention that I absolutely hate flying and at the first sign of any turbulence, the first thought in my head is "RIP me". I will avoid it at all costs. I only will fly if I have to visit my wife's fam in NZ and how I handle it is pretty dumb. Sooo.... because its also a long af flight.... I will stay up for like 38 hours straight to be completely tired, then I take pills. Whatever the dosage is, I double it. Those Zzzquil pills. I take them 20 minutes before boarding the plane so I will be out ASAP. Seriously hate these flight attendants who wake you up to ask if you if you are hungry. Like... I'm asleep? what an annoying dumbass thing to do. My last flights were to/from NZ so like 14 hours or whatever. The way there, I was out within 10 minutes and only had to focus on staying alive, the last 2 hours of the flight. The way back however my wife kept waking me up due to the turbulence and im all "yo, trying to pretend im not on a plane over here bruv". Also note... every time I have been to/from there... there is always turbulence above Tonga... which leads me to think "the airstream sucks here, MAYBE we should fly a different path" but no.

Also would like to mention that in 2013 when I moved back to the US... the flight from NZ to LA was turbulence for the entire flight. The guy next to me was white knuckle gripping the seat the entire trip. I was so hyped to be coming home that I didn't freak out, but it sucked. It was like riding in a speed boat for 13-14 hours. Had 2 day jet lag from that one. I will drive to far places before flying. My wife wanted to go to Niagara Falls a few years ago - i got off work at 4PM then drove straight to Niagara Falls for like 13 hours. She wakes up yay we're here. Just to not fly