6 to infinity
3 (8.8%)
Trick is too lame to attempt
1 (2.9%)
I am too lame to attempt
3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: April 08, 2023, 09:59:23 AM

Author Topic: How many 360s can you do?  (Read 806 times)

Marsh not mellow

How many 360s can you do?
« on: March 09, 2023, 08:59:23 AM »
I heard from the old timers in the documentaries that this used to be the question. So how about it? How many can you do? Backside, frontside?

We're talking about spinning 360s, not ollies, not tre flips. This is some old school, freestyler, no points on THPS, illegal tricks kind of stuff so I assume it's pretty unpopular.

I think I've managed 4 going backside. My favorite result of trying to learn these is the side effect of learning to whip some super fast 540 pivots on a bank. The 540 feels so natural because you come back down just like a regular kickturn, fun stuff.

Do any of you fuck with these?

ejazzle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 62
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: How many 360s can you do?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 12:19:21 PM »
I go to the middle of the huge transition section of my park and start spinning like andy anderson.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 01:26:22 PM »
Does it count if you scrape the tail?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Marsh not mellow

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 03:22:57 PM »
Does it count if you scrape the tail?

No, tail scrape doesn't count. But then again, yes, totally counts. This question maybe isn't necessary for such a trick.

Personally I say definitely cooler without, but I'd be surprised and stoked to see anybody attempt it in person. If that day ever comes I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 03:26:36 PM »
This was a hot topic when I started to skate.  Really seperated the men from the boys, which is for the best.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 10:07:12 PM »
Do you guys do it frontside or backside?

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 05:16:01 AM »
I haven't tried these in a long time but I could maybe do 2 and a half if I really tried. I have, however, done those 540 pivots on a bank and it was one of the coolest feeling things I'd done on a skateboard in 20 years.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2023, 08:49:03 AM »
Do you guys do it frontside or backside?
Frontside

Who’s got the G-turn?
fuck you bama

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2023, 10:47:58 AM »
i definitely got that but the thought of grabbing hurts my sciatica so it isn't what it used to be.

Even when I nose manual...it's g-turn....

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2023, 11:03:35 AM »
I started skating in 1985 you would still get that question but mostly from the beloved dork skater. By summer kids only cared if you could ollie

The answer is Fred Gall

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2023, 11:47:39 AM »
Mistakenly thought i read 360 flips in title and was confused reading through this thread for a bit

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2023, 07:03:44 PM »
I can probably give you 2 before I’m falling over myself. 

I’m going to try some next time I skate.  Why not
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2023, 07:26:04 PM »
I like to do fakie 360s in transition. This cool girl in Salem said I looked like a ballerina. I was exaggerating the arms to teach the trick but now I'm going to always do it like that.

I also like to do them on the wedge bank. Fakie 3 then kinda twist myself like a late 180 pivot to come in fakie.

So fun. I learned it from watching the big kids in Marblehead in the very early 80s at Green Street hockey rink.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2023, 02:38:09 PM »
great topic. from that chris milic quartersnacks piece the other day; “It’s really funny to spin on your board and wiggle your arms around all funny.”

i can do 900s on banks. doing 360s and 720s on banks are the best, coming in to fakie. or fakie 540 on a bank.

on flat yeah 2 and a halfish - so i guess 900. i can go either way on a bank but on flat can do more frontside and probably only a single 360 backside.

has anyone ever done a manual with a 360 spin and keep manual-ing (or nose manual-ing) (manualing without a hyphen really doesn't look like a word, or rather doesn't look like the word it's supposed to be)
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2023, 10:49:56 PM »
great topic. from that chris milic quartersnacks piece the other day; “It’s really funny to spin on your board and wiggle your arms around all funny.”

i can do 900s on banks. doing 360s and 720s on banks are the best, coming in to fakie. or fakie 540 on a bank.

on flat yeah 2 and a halfish - so i guess 900. i can go either way on a bank but on flat can do more frontside and probably only a single 360 backside.

has anyone ever done a manual with a 360 spin and keep manual-ing (or nose manual-ing) (manualing without a hyphen really doesn't look like a word, or rather doesn't look like the word it's supposed to be)

G Turns are probably the dopest 80s flat ground trick. I used to be able to do them forever and I'd spin a 360 at the end. Usually they go to fakie. I'm not sure why
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2023, 11:16:51 PM »
So what's the secret? Im lucky to be able to complete one whole 360

Perforated Opinions

• Rep: -198
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2023, 08:37:07 AM »
You have to jump like a knight on a chess board forward and one square to the side. That’s how I do it FS but I didn’t think of trying it BS this way hitherto.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2023, 10:09:50 AM »
You have to jump like a knight on a chess board forward and one square to the side. That’s how I do it FS but I didn’t think of trying it BS this way hitherto.

There is no jumping involved here. Spinning 360's only.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2023, 12:08:29 PM »
Last  time I skated I did a fakie 360 kick-turn on a shallow bank. Didn't scrape the tail. Was fun.

Marsh not mellow

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2023, 07:43:56 AM »
I find that I can get spinning backside with way more power and speed, which feels like I could keep it spinning forever if I could hold it together, but usually can't. Also backside feels like I'm actually skating in a very tight circle.

Frontside is way more controlled (and slow) for me but I sometimes get to this point where I tuck in my body to increase the rate of spin and I "find my center" at which point my body stops riding the 360 (meaning feeling each spin and using the off kilter-ness of the spin to lean harder into the next spin). When I "find the center" I can just kind of stop thinking/moving/looking at anything and just come out of the spin whenever I lose control. Going frontside I also get closer to actually spinning in one spot as opposed to manualing in tiny circles.

All the really epic world record ones seem to be frontside.

https://youtu.be/MOJMI1n5xrU

https://youtu.be/AlySYeq6ads

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2023, 10:57:23 AM »
I find that I can get spinning backside with way more power and speed, which feels like I could keep it spinning forever if I could hold it together, but usually can't. Also backside feels like I'm actually skating in a very tight circle.

Frontside is way more controlled (and slow) for me but I sometimes get to this point where I tuck in my body to increase the rate of spin and I "find my center" at which point my body stops riding the 360 (meaning feeling each spin and using the off kilter-ness of the spin to lean harder into the next spin). When I "find the center" I can just kind of stop thinking/moving/looking at anything and just come out of the spin whenever I lose control. Going frontside I also get closer to actually spinning in one spot as opposed to manualing in tiny circles.

All the really epic world record ones seem to be frontside.

https://youtu.be/MOJMI1n5xrU

https://youtu.be/AlySYeq6ads

Cmon now is this an achievement for you guys?

I got dizzy just watching that Carrasco guy lol