Author Topic: Reminding the world someone’s in their 30’s when they have a great part is lame  (Read 5061 times)

a1spook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -12
Comments under great skate parts that say shit like “36 years old and still ripping!” etc etc is a pretty annoying take from any skate part.
Comments like that also shine a light on how young the person commenting is because someone in their 30’s, who has taken care of themselves, is, in my opinion, just as physically capable as someone in their 20’s- but a youngin’ with the mentality of “30 old af” wouldn’t agree with that because they have a distorted view of what 30+ year olds can can actually do, thus, they’re so amazed to see a 30+ year old kick flip some stairs. You’ll be 30, too one day and if you take care of yourself, skating good will be the least of your worries.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
with advanced age you should care less what people think

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Comments under great skate parts that say shit like “36 years old and still ripping!” etc etc is a pretty annoying take from any skate part.
Comments like that also shine a light on how young the person commenting is because someone in their 30’s, who has taken care of themselves, is, in my opinion, just as physically capable as someone in their 20’s- but a youngin’ with the mentality of “30 old af” wouldn’t agree with that because they have a distorted view of what 30+ year olds can can actually do, thus, they’re so amazed to see a 30+ year old kick flip some stairs. You’ll be 30, too one day and if you take care of yourself, skating good will be the least of your worries.

Were you not once a jaded youngin’ before?

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

donkey

• Rep: -65
  • donk

i dont think anyone here is going to disagree with you, obviously if you take care of yourself you can do a lot in life. are you not taking care of yourself is that why you are here complaining about it on slap?

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
anyone over 30 is fighting the crypt keeper every time they go to a spot, i thought this was common knowledge

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
Idk I’m about to be 33 and I felt this way watching Leo part like pretty damn inspiring to me even tho I’m definitely not gonna go out and hit any rails or stairs. Same with watching Reynolds

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399

The majority of the folks commenting those things on these parts from older dudes are either the same age or pretty damn close or older as the person skating. I've done a decent job of taking care of myself, still skate regularly, etc... and it's still impressive as fuck that some of these dudes are still putting their bodies on the line to that level at an age we can relate to. I say the same thing about Lebron, Messi and other older athletes who are performing at a high level well into their careers. EOD of the day, the majority of professionals in any sport who have taken care of their bodies or not, will not perform at a high level well into their later years.

I say all this to say, this was a stupid take and probably a bigger reflection of you than the rest of us.

ejazzle

• Rep: 62
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I had the pleasure of skating with Pat Duffy yesterday at my local. He was going bigger, slamming harder and getting up quicker than anyone else out there. Once you're pushing 50 that's definitely an inspiration. But being in your 30's and still ripping is not uncommon at all anymore.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
I had the pleasure of skating with Pat Duffy yesterday at my local. He was going bigger, slamming harder and getting up quicker than anyone else out there. Once you're pushing 50 that's definitely an inspiration. But being in your 30's and still ripping is not uncommon at all anymore.

I'm not trying to combat what you're getting at here at all so apologies if it comes off in any type of rude way, but there will always be exceptions to everything. Duffy being 50 is an inspiration for sure. Romero being 36 for sure. Reynolds at 44 for sure. But every one of those exceptions you call out we can list 10+ other pros who are NOT skating at that level anymore let alone the thousands upon thousands of "regular" skaters in the world who are that age.

Having a 20+ year professional sports (no matter the sport) career just isn't normal. Yes dudes are performing high level later and later into life but they are few and far between in the grand scheme of things.

Back to the point of OP thread though, praising someone for doing something hard on the body even in their late 30's should be a good thing which is what we are doing by acknowledging it. Anyways, that's my final thoughts on the matter.

doublesteveburger

I totally get the sentiment considering most peeps who get the praise are literally paid to skate and that's their main focus and not the day-to-day drudge us normal folk have. The freedom of not having to do shit other than step on your skateboard should warrant just that... you on a skateboard. I think the praise is more rooted with the fact that whoever is getting the praise is STILL doing it at high level well into their thirties.

Not for nothing but I filmed my first ever real part from 30-33, and while it wasn't anything to write home about, it fucking took a lot out of me to get my ass to create anything. I'm more impressed with a homie/local video dude in his mid-to-late's considering they have a full time gig, possibly a family, and damn near enough responsibilities to possibly gift maybe 1 session a week, 2 if they're lucky.

Maurice46

• Rep: 9

I've seen older skaters make the same sort of comments. Most skaters are simple minded, as are most people in general, which isn't a criticism but an observation. They see the world through a handful of concepts and don't have the capacity to go beyond that. I also think recency bias plays a role in the way people characterize the output of older skates vs. young ones.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
I got nothing but love for people who are 30+ and still riding their skateboard and loving every second of it. Personally, I don't see a problem with giving props to anybody 30+ who are out there still getting it.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3287
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
This thread reminds me of this conversation that I've had at least twice:

"Oh wow you still skateboard?"
"Yeah I do but not very often...these days when I fall it takes forever to get back up. It can be brutal on my old body."
"I bet...but I mean look at Tony Hawk, he is still skating and doing the half pike(sic)! If he can do it, you can do it too!"
"Well yeah I guess one of the best to ever do it would have more of an ability to continue to do it as they got older. I was actually never very good on a skateboard to begin with."

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
The less you pay attention to comments the less power you give others.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
I like those posts, it gets me stoked that dudes are still ripping past 30. Reminds me it's not just a children's toy, it's an adult toy too!

On the flipside, I don't really like watching little kid parts, but it gets me stoked that the yoots are still into this. Puts it in stone that street skating isn't just a fad that will fade away, it gets people excited generation after generation.

one-off

• Rep: 105
I'm inspired everyday by people posting in their 30s, 40s, and even 50s on slap.  I'll be up there too one day, and as long as I take care of myself, posting good on slap will be the least of my worries.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Wow you’re however old you are and can still make a stupid thread.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3287
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Wow you’re however old you are and can still make a stupid thread.

LOL

let's see Tony Hawk do that!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
I wish I was in my 30s.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

spungo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
do more yoga!

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
At 47 I'm working on my very first part to debut on my 48th birthday. Prepare to be very underwhelmed but I personally think minus gaps and stairs, I skate better than I did at 27... that's the beauty of being eternally mediocre... there was never much for me to lose as I got older...

My friends who ripped in their youth seem to be struggling more with letting shit go...

All to say BA, Frank, Fred are super inspirational as they are about my age and keep me interested.

Its a one way journey for us all... so far so good, so far so good, so far so good, so far so....

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2150
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Hey y'all, I think I found the insecure 30-something year old we've been looking for.

Also, @doublesteveburger, I've already seent on your part & various other edits: I would happily curb-stomp all of my own teeth right out of my damned head to have a mere modicum of that ability on a board.
Much respect, and in the most friendly of ways I can say this, fuck right of with that humility shit.
If y'all didn't know, 2Xsteve is "still ripping."
THERE... I said it.
What's OP gonna do about it; make a thread or something?!?

Gnars to all the "older" homies in this thread still getting it, at ANY skill level.
These are the peeps keeping me going into my 50s.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 156
I’m 44 and getting comments like that just makes me happy, so keep doing it, younglins  ;)

whaaaaat

• Rep: 49
I think a lot of those comments are not just about the physical ability but also the mental motivation to keep pushing it and make the time for it, both of which definitely get harder as you get older. Especially if you aren't a professional.

I might be as physically healthy now (37) as I was when I was in my 20's but the difference is now I've got a "real job", a wife, 2 kids, and all the responsibility that come along with those things. So if I am still out there skating and learning new shit, damn right I deserve some extra credit!

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
Damn 46 years old and still posting!

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
These are the sorts of threads you get this late into winter.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
I actually think it's sick when anyone who's not professional keeps skating past their early or mid 20s. It just gets sicker as you get older.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

slapshakle

• Rep: 17
“36 years old and still ripping!”

I said that to myself yesterday when I did a back tail.  :)

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
These are the sorts of threads you get this late into winter.