Author Topic: Reminding the world someone’s in their 30’s when they have a great part is lame  (Read 5067 times)

Tom Pearl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
you're wrong, skating at a pro level into your 30's and 40's deserves mad props fool

decoi1

• Rep: 18
I just turned 40 recently and I still skate 3-4 times a week with a full time job. It fucking hurts and I’m half as good as I was in my late 20’s but I’m not stopping. I love it when the younger heads I skate with give my old ass props simply for being older. And I love seeing people in their late 30’s on into their 50’s still skating no matter their skill level. I’m glad we’re all reminding this kid how fun skateboarding is going to be later in life

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
I’m just glad the world caught up with the ideas that skating curbs is legit and fun.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
Anybody still doing flip tricks after 40+ gets props from me. I deaded that shit. I skate less than 20x year but still can do shit anytime I step on a board which is good enough for me at 45+ years old  :) if I ever get a curb spot 50+ is feasible.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
I had the pleasure of skating with Pat Duffy yesterday at my local. He was going bigger, slamming harder and getting up quicker than anyone else out there. Once you're pushing 50 that's definitely an inspiration. But being in your 30's and still ripping is not uncommon at all anymore.

You in orlando?

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
Peekin in this thread like

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -513
I agree that age based props at 36 is a little early, but it depends on how hard they are going.  Once your 40+ a simple fall can be not so simple though.  If it were all smooth sailing, it’d be less impressive but part of skating is slamming, and those little slams are not the same as you get older

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
If I had to put money on a game of skate…..skaters in their 30’s, 20’s, teens….as of 2023, my money is on the 30 year olds….they learned everything…..unfortunately some just can’t shut the hell up and need to Pat themselves on the back…..half the kids at the park can’t feeble a flatbar…..give it a rest….

Shuh

• Rep: 4
BATB old vs new when?

Bailedsweeper

• Rep: -2
Being in my 30s I noticed my style is way more confident and solid than my 20s. Yeah my body aches more but I'm stoked.

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 26
Damn 46 years old and still posting!

Upmost respect - after all this years!

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 26
It’s funny that you mention- I  just spoke yesterday 1 hour with a friend I grow up - about Leo‘s Part we both like.
We didn’t really feel him as he was coming up as the new kid, also winning SOTY- he was incredible good - and had a great nosegrind- but we  both didn’t really care - but the last 2-3 years I changed my mind everything he come out with - I like - he is still the same - but it’s about longevity.

it’s always ok to praise a skater - also concerning the age. Not that 36 is incredible old - but put the focus not on the age - skateboarding is first a mindsetting and second about physical health. But we need to respect the longevity.
Have seen manny good people coming up - having 2-4 good season - is great - but being in the streets, pushing boundaries, filming parts over decades is something different.

Back in the days I had friends dropping out with 16 because they felt to damaged, never stand on the board again - and still speaking about the good times we had back. On the other side I skate now with people in the 50s - still pushing - to learn stuff and getting 2-3 times per week on the board. Keeping this drive through all the years - is the thing!
Leo coud nosegrind rails in his 50s  - hopefully he keep his energ - focusing on physical and mental health- and is still ripping the next decades.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
This has to be the dumbest thread in a while and that's not a low bar.

Skating absolutely gets harder in your 30s, just like every other athletic pursuit requiring muscle power. Why would it be lame to recognize that they're doing something difficult with an inherent handicap? Thank God you're not a traditional sports fan, you're liable to go postal if you see literally any piece about LeBron or Tom Brady.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 72
For me it’s impressive cause at 30+ you know better, you know you have adult responsibilities, and that one injury can set you back not only in skating, but in life. Part of the reason kids become so good is because they lack fear— they’re not thinking about who will take care of their dog, toys, or how they’ll pay bills. So when I see Leo jumping down shit, someone who’s set for life, got nothing to prove, and probably has a family to support—it’s impressive cause he could be doing anything else.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 05:02:33 AM by OhioGuy »

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
Concrete is harder when you turn 40.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 121
First post was not necessarily a highlight but the responses got me stoked to go out and skate. Cheers to everyone still going, pushing, hurting but loving skating post 30.

Also this
Concrete is harder when you turn 40.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
a1spook more like a1kook am I right haha

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
Expand Quote
Damn 46 years old and still posting!
[close]

Upmost respect - after all this years!

Yo I’m gonna be 47 in a few weeks… wait till I post like a motherfucker that day!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
For the most part you get more soft and self important as you get older….you also become tone deaf when it comes to reading or posting social media…..your skating can get better sometimes though…

Beeda Weeda

I prided myself on still skateboarding in my 30s, I was taking better care of my body, not letting myself get fat, but my body still broke down on me and it got to the point where skating was painful and no longer fun. So when I see somebody still skating and or ripping in their 30s at any skill elver. I show some RESPEK

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
anyone over 30 is fighting the crypt keeper every time they go to a spot, i thought this was common knowledge

You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

doublesteveburger

Hey y'all, I think I found the insecure 30-something year old we've been looking for.

Also, @doublesteveburger, I've already seent on your part & various other edits: I would happily curb-stomp all of my own teeth right out of my damned head to have a mere modicum of that ability on a board.
Much respect, and in the most friendly of ways I can say this, fuck right of with that humility shit.
If y'all didn't know, 2Xsteve is "still ripping."
THERE... I said it.
What's OP gonna do about it; make a thread or something?!?

Gnars to all the "older" homies in this thread still getting it, at ANY skill level.
These are the peeps keeping me going into my 50s.

that's it mf i'm gonna kick your god damn ass

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
BRiNG BaCk Da CrOsS

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
Expand Quote
anyone over 30 is fighting the crypt keeper every time they go to a spot, i thought this was common knowledge
[close]

That Low Card hat is incredibly accurate

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -270
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Everyone knows skateboard age is like dog years. You add 7 years to that shit.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
I’m amazed Leo or similar can still walk after skating rails and stairs for 25 years let alone keep progressing. Nobody in this thread knows what that feels like.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
Hey y'all, I think I found the insecure 30-something year old we've been looking for.

Also, @doublesteveburger, I've already seent on your part & various other edits: I would happily curb-stomp all of my own teeth right out of my damned head to have a mere modicum of that ability on a board.
Much respect, and in the most friendly of ways I can say this, fuck right of with that humility shit.
If y'all didn't know, 2Xsteve is "still ripping."
THERE... I said it.
What's OP gonna do about it; make a thread or something?!?

Gnars to all the "older" homies in this thread still getting it, at ANY skill level.
These are the peeps keeping me going into my 50s.
Same. And just a heads up, you can still flip your board after 50, just not as high. Concrete also hurts a lot more since old men don’t bounce to well.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
Expand Quote
[close]
Damn didn’t think Crob was skating much these days

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
people bashing people for still skating for the feeling and love are just straight stupid. you going to grow old but you don't need to grow up. remember that.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
What a strange thread to post.