Author Topic: Reminding the world someone’s in their 30’s when they have a great part is lame  (Read 5062 times)

OneMore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
I’m amazed Leo or similar can still walk after skating rails and stairs for 25 years let alone keep progressing. Nobody in this thread knows what that feels like.

vinithebr

• Rep: -25
Gnars to all the "older" homies in this thread [...]
slap in a sentence

I'm 28 in ok shape but I already feel slow compared to my younger self, aging sucks

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
Expand Quote
[close]
slap in a sentence

I'm 28 in ok shape but I already feel slow compared to my younger self, aging sucks
It gets better. Eventually you accept it and just stick to having fun

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
Expand Quote
[close]
slap in a sentence

If you have access to medical I would get some bloodwork done, I didn't start feeling my age till I was 38, I'm 48 now. Last year I finally went to the doctor to have bloodwork done, they prescribed testosterone because my level was so low now I feel 37 again

You could have a simple vitamin deficiency. Bloodwork is free it's the doctor that cost money

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
slap in a sentence

[close]
It gets better. Eventually you accept it and just stick to having fun

He's right. Also for whatever reason the mid to late 20s were really rough for myself and others I know. Physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, a challenging time. But there's light at the end of it all. There's a good chance you'll get a second wind as you enter your fourth decade. Def some demons to wrestle as you go but now is a good time to face them. Godspeeed, young person.

djoekr

• Rep: 290
Expand Quote
[close]
slap in a sentence

That's why only started skating at 25, no younger me to compete with. Currently 28 and skating almost every day, doing some sort of physical exercise on the days I'm not skating and being conscious about food are the reasons that I'm a lot more athletic than I was before I skated. I don't know how dusted my knees would've been if I started out when I was still a child, so I can't share that pain (yet).
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
slap in a sentence

[close]

That's why only started skating at 25, no younger me to compete with. Currently 28 and skating almost every day, doing some sort of physical exercise on the days I'm not skating and being conscious about food are the reasons that I'm a lot more athletic than I was before I skated. I don't know how dusted my knees would've been if I started out when I was still a child, so I can't share that pain (yet).

What made you take up skating at a relatively advanced age?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 72
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
slap in a sentence

[close]

[close]

Can’t speak for them. I started at 35 cause I wanted to do it when I was younger but never tried. It’s tough cause I have zero interest in transition, but my bad knees may push me in that direction cause jumping leaves me sore for DAYS 🫠

Add that to the fact that I’m 6’3 and 240lbs.

Shuh

• Rep: 6
Expand Quote
[close]
slap in a sentence

Are you breathing thru your nose or mouth? 28 is the age the you lungs start loosing lung capacity if you dont do something about it.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
slap in a sentence

[close]

[close]

[close]
Can’t speak for them. I started at 35 cause I wanted to do it when I was younger but never tried. It’s tough cause I have zero interest in transition, but my bad knees may push me in that direction cause jumping leaves me sore for DAYS 🫠

Add that to the fact that I’m 6’3 and 240lbs.

Much love to you my giant brother.  I’m out here fighting my creaky old man knees too.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Puddy Smally

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 111
Props to the fellas in this thread that picked up skating post 20. That’s dedication.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
Props to the fellas in this thread that picked up skating post 20. That’s dedication.

I will sometimes see older guys learning to skate at the skater park, and while I am 100% friendly and encouraging, I always think “god, it would really suck to not know how to skate.”
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Puddy Smally

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 111
Expand Quote
[close]

I will sometimes see older guys learning to skate at the skater park, and while I am 100% friendly and encouraging, I always think “god, it would really suck to not know how to skate.”

I couldn’t imagine having to start from the ground up as an adult. There’s so many little basics that come with a slew of lumps and bruises through learning along the way.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

OhioGuy

Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, it’s basically hard mode lol. Can be extremely discouraging. Especially when you hear a 26 year old say, “I’ve been skating for 20 years” 😂

I’ll never be a great skateboarder, but I can get good lol

I see a lot of old dudes going straight to transition, but I agree with Daewon Song (at the 5:09 mark). Shit seems WAY more dangerous than “simple” street stuff lol

https://youtu.be/sFuPz_eP0n8

One of my strategies is to not spread myself too thin. So I’ll be sticking with flat ground for a minute. Still have years of progression ahead of me 😌
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 07:09:20 AM by OhioGuy »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
I’ve always been not a great skater, but I got better in my 30’s and 40’s……they built better things to skate and I’m a slow learner…

OhioGuy

Expand Quote
I’ve always been not a great skater, but I got better in my 30’s and 40’s……they built better things to skate and I’m a slow learner…
[close]

I was talking to some guys who've been skating a long time about this. They started as kids so never put too much thought into how things worked. They either did or didn't I guess? As for me I started at 35 and I tend to analyze and slightly obsess over all the parts of a new trick I'm trying to learn. I get clowned a little for it, but I don't care because it's what has allowed me to learn everything I have over the past few years. I skated for like 30 seconds in 8th grade and sucked big time but had zero insight on how to get better. I'm glad I started so late in a lot of ways, I've progressed quicker than most people who started younger if we compare time frames as well. I think I have an extreme sense of urgency to get as good as I possibly can before I plateau due to age, and that's where getting super analytical came in. Yes skating is fun but also the clock is ticking at this age for sure.
I’m the same. I feel like there’s a slight advantage too now thanks to YouTube. You can get advice from dozens of skaters online and find what works best for you.

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I was talking to some guys who've been skating a long time about this. They started as kids so never put too much thought into how things worked. They either did or didn't I guess? As for me I started at 35 and I tend to analyze and slightly obsess over all the parts of a new trick I'm trying to learn. I get clowned a little for it, but I don't care because it's what has allowed me to learn everything I have over the past few years. I skated for like 30 seconds in 8th grade and sucked big time but had zero insight on how to get better. I'm glad I started so late in a lot of ways, I've progressed quicker than most people who started younger if we compare time frames as well. I think I have an extreme sense of urgency to get as good as I possibly can before I plateau due to age, and that's where getting super analytical came in. Yes skating is fun but also the clock is ticking at this age for sure.
[close]
I’m the same. I feel like there’s a slight advantage too now thanks to YouTube. You can get advice from dozens of skaters online and find what works best for you.

I was telling someone the other day that I'm pretty sure I've watched like at least 100 hours of trick tips on YouTube. There's always some little insight to be mined even if it's just diff guys doing the same trick tip. Lately I've been liking this guy coyote rob. He's kind of a bro but he mentions little stuff others don't like where he's looking when he pops etc. My favorite of the moment is Norman Woods though he also goes into the little stuff no one else thinks about because their bodies just worked right when they were kids I guess.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

elegant_fox

I found the tail end of this podcast to be pretty interesting with regards to skating fitness post-30: https://youtu.be/PpEeHJFsjs8

Tony talks about Riley picking up jujitsu to cross train fitness to prolong skating performance.

OhioGuy

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I was telling someone the other day that I'm pretty sure I've watched like at least 100 hours of trick tips on YouTube. There's always some little insight to be mined even if it's just diff guys doing the same trick tip. Lately I've been liking this guy coyote rob. He's kind of a bro but he mentions little stuff others don't like where he's looking when he pops etc. My favorite of the moment is Norman Woods though he also goes into the little stuff no one else thinks about because their bodies just worked right when they were kids I guess.
Yeah I like Norman. There are so many better channels than just Braille. Like Ben helped me with ollie cause he said it’s basically just like jumping off the tail. So many of them don’t mention just jumping lol

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Yeah I like Norman. There are so many better channels than just Braille. Like Ben helped me with ollie cause he said it’s basically just like jumping off the tail. So many of them don’t mention just jumping lol

Def ran into this with tre flips til a local guy told me it's a single movement. I'm not sure why I hadn't really came to that conclusion but I suspect my trick madness (which usually is a big help) kinda effed me on this one. I was having a hard time jumping high enough so I focused on that and the flip suffered. I didn't realize that you have to work on it all at once you can't just pick the one weak point in your attempts with that one.

As far as braille goes I feel that a lot of it is smoke and mirrors when they "teach" a kid how to do a trick. It so obvious most of the time that the kid knew how to do the trick prior but maybe doesn't have it completely locked. This doesn't escape me but it probably is overlooked by kids who watch and I think it's probably discouraging for them because the entire video premise is fraudulent to begin with. They usually land it pretty quick as well which tells me they've def landed it before for sure.

It's no surprise that a scientologist would be a huge grifter preying on kids and the ignorant for money. That's their whole mission in life.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Norms a good dude and he absolutely RIPS for his age. Found him when he was on Brujaria and been a fan ever since. He'll actually respond if you hit him up too.

Wienerboy

• Rep: -94
  • Hey you're really cool and definitely not a kook
I would like to remind the world that the dude who created this thread is in his 30's. He's a real solid slapper, great contributor and I'm really proud / surprised that in his state can still post as consistently as he does. What a trooper
If my rep is ever an even number, please kindly throw me either a kook or a gnar in order to return me to my odd number equilibrium.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Norms a good dude and he absolutely RIPS for his age. Found him when he was on Brujaria and been a fan ever since. He'll actually respond if you hit him up too.

Probably the best tricks tips on YouTube. Sometimes his vibe weirds me out like he's nice and helpful but behind the mustache he'll whip you silly if you miss a kickflip :s