Author Topic: Editing, youtube, and music  (Read 273 times)

tonyhawksmanywives

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
Editing, youtube, and music
« on: March 15, 2023, 09:36:08 AM »
I am working on my first full length homie video. I have no interest in monetization on YouTube as this is more of a passion project. I've put a fair amount of videos w/ copyrighted songs and of course they've been demonetized, which is no issue to me. My worry is that upon uploading this full length video they take it down for copyright issues. what are the rules behind this? Buying rights is not an option as im a broke university student and i have a couple songs in mind for use.

Johnathanshoots

• Rep: 0
Re: Editing, youtube, and music
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 07:16:48 PM »
You should be good most artist allow their music to be used on youtube. If there is a one off song thats not allowed maybe have a couple sequences with different songs for a quick backup? otherwise it will mute that part of the video

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 11:04:06 PM »
Upload it unlisted to test it should work, yeah?
Don’t try to edit to prince
Source - I skated to prince
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 116
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 11:51:29 PM »
As long as you don't use anything super famous you should be fine. Sadly there is no guarantee though that it won't get flagged in the future. Even if the song is fine for the moment, the label could flag it months later often due to changes in their policies. I'd highly suggest putting the video on vimeo as well as a backup. If the artists aren't famous you most likely have nothing to worry about. Artists with millions of fans are a risk in the long run, but again, as long as they're not super famous, you're probably gonna be fine.

Here's a few artists I've had issues with using their music in my own experience:
-Beatles (almost guaranteed automatic worldwide block)
-The vast majority of Billy Joel's discography (will get you partially blocked, I think this why Play Dead got taken down originally and was later reuploaded)
-Wutang (will most likely get you a partial block, possible to get away with some of the members solo stuff though)
-AC/DC (almost guaranteed automatic worldwide block)
-The Clash (will most likely get you a partial block)

The White Stripes are an artist who surprisingly seems to fine despite their popularity, this could change though. I've never used David Bowie but his music seems to be okay considering the amount of videos I've seen using it. Using Under Pressure though would probably be an issue since it's also under Queen.

Upload it unlisted to test it should work, yeah?
Don’t try to edit to prince
Source - I skated to prince
This. Heavily suggest you test it as an unlisted video first.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 12:04:29 AM by Nancy Chin »