Author Topic: Fisheye Comparisons Thread  (Read 842 times)

pj chad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
Fisheye Comparisons Thread
« on: March 10, 2023, 08:12:08 PM »
One of the many things I miss from the old SkatePerception days were the threads dedicated to fisheye comparisons. I really wish that something like that existed today, so here I am attempting to get something going.

I've been filming with a VX1MK1 for way too long, and recently picked up an HMC150 because the local shop wanted an HD edit. I bought the vx_fisheye_sales (VXFS) MK1 adapter ($165 for a 75" to 72" step down ring, incredible) and I was curious to see how the two compared after the HMC was cropped and scaled:

Surprised to see that the HMC is a tad bit wider.

Hoping others share a similar interest, and can provide some useful comparisons. I will also try to dig up an old comparison I did years back for a GL1 that was a raynox->modded raynox->MK1 intermediate. Not really useful for today's standards, but still interesting.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 09:49:22 PM by pj chad »

suckmadeck

• Rep: 27
Re: Fisheye Comparisons Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 03:31:51 AM »
Panasonic fisheye combos in my mind have always been wider. The DVX MK2 is wider than the VX1 MK1 to my knowledge so wacking an MK1 on Panasonic cameras are going to give you wider than VX results again. I could do one maybe for the Opteka/MK2 knock off on a VX/HPX if anyone would be interested?

bataaard

• Rep: 40
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 10:43:04 AM »
hey i tested a few here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSyN-HEqxQI

opetka 37mm, century babydeath, mk1 screw, mk1 bayo attached to the camera using this trick:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDgHiNql2LV/

i would love to see an hvx xtreme versus hpx/hmc xtreme

pj chad

• Rep: 7
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 05:10:15 PM »
Went through the 4:3 HD thread, and found some more useful comparisons.

Universal MK1 adapter came in, here's a little comparison:

Here are some screenshots if you want a closer look:
(if you right click -> copy image address -> paste into browser and remove the "l" before the .png at the end of the URL you can see the full HD res)

VX1000 MK1

XA11 MK1 (fully zoomed out, cropped to 4:3)

XA11 MK1 (fully zoomed out, cropped to 4:3, scaled up to 115%)

XA11 MK1 (zoomed in-camera, cropped to 4:3)

GH5 Canon 8-15mm (anamorphic mode, fully zoomed out, scaled down to ~53%)

Definitely not ideal testing conditions, but when I've got some time I'll do a proper skating one - first impressions are pretty good!

Here's a video From suckmadeck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XssqyEA3yYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFntRpkeO9k
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 05:17:39 PM by pj chad »

HernyB

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 12:34:07 PM »
Here is a comparison of 3 fisheyes on the Canon Xa11: 1) a 58mm screw MK1 2) a modded opteka vortex fisheye (front and rear element glued together and attached 58mm filter to rear and 3) A 72mm Opteka MK2 with 2 72mm spacers and a 72 to 58mm step up ring.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 06:18:15 AM »
Here is a comparison of 3 fisheyes on the Canon Xa11: 1) a 58mm screw MK1 2) a modded opteka vortex fisheye (front and rear element glued together and attached 58mm filter to rear and 3) A 72mm Opteka MK2 with 2 72mm spacers and a 72 to 58mm step up ring.

This is a nice comparison. In terms of image/barrel distortion alone the 3 are nearly identical. Vortex looks the widest. Not sure how image quality compares with actual footage but otherwise they all look pretty sick.