Author Topic: Ankle problems  (Read 1372 times)

skasta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -19
  • §
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Ankle problems
« on: June 06, 2007, 06:23:35 PM »
i rolled my left ankle twice within the last month and now after i skate it hurts real bad like a sharp pain. it comes after i land real hard or skate too hard. anyone know whats up with it? and how long i should wait before i skate again cause sometimes it feels okay but then out of the blue the sharp pain comes and i'm out for a couple more days. thanks.

Duffy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • talkin mad shit kid
Re: Ankle problems
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 06:49:19 PM »
Happens to me.  As much as it may pain you, either try skating with an ankle brace OR possibly skate some sort of bulkier shoe.  The latter usually helps because often when you roll your ankle, you sorta bruise the bottom of your foot too.

Chris from Essex

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 12:30:13 PM »
You could try getting some physiotherapy if the problem persists.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 04:11:24 PM »
both my ankles are pretty messed up... on my right one it hurts like hell if I bend it just a little too hard upwards, like when i bend a little too much when I land, and I rolled the other one 4 weeks ago, just got kickflips back good, but still hurts on fs flips and if I bend it a little too much/hard

bornindabay

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 10:47:48 PM »
i rolled my left ankle twice within the last month and now after i skate it hurts real bad like a sharp pain. it comes after i land real hard or skate too hard. anyone know whats up with it? and how long i should wait before i skate again cause sometimes it feels okay but then out of the blue the sharp pain comes and i'm out for a couple more days. thanks.

Chill out and don't skate till it goes away. It's a part of skating and believe it or not adds to the experience. I can remember clearly how it felt to get back on board after a little ankle absense. It was like heaven.

skasta

• §
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 01:39:57 AM »
Heh yeah. I think part of the problem was not be able to stay off my board and letting it fully heal. So I'll be taking your advice and laying low for a while.

toy machine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
both my ankles are pretty messed up... on my right one it hurts like hell if I bend it just a little too hard upwards, like when i bend a little too much when I land, and I rolled the other one 4 weeks ago, just got kickflips back good, but still hurts on fs flips and if I bend it a little too much/hard
haha your little avatar thing is really funny, the p-rod one.

Blackfrancis0708

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 02:48:13 PM »
I sprained my ankle pretty bad about four months ago and every now and then I still feel a little tweak when skating.  My doctor said it is not unheard of for the sprained ankle to still hurt a bit up to a year later.

I wear the S-One ankle brace (the more expensive of the two they offer) and it is very secure.  I doubt I could sprain my ankle while wearing it.  Best part is it is very comfortable and still lets you flick your board.  It doesn't feel restrictive while skating but if you try to roll your ankle outwards it won't let you.  Pair that with some high tops and you're set.
It's crack, it's great.  It gets you real high.

mikefork

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 05:55:56 PM »
start doing ankle exercises now. start with 25 calf lifts then every couple of days add 5, 10, 15, or whatever amount more

start stretching your ankles in the way that they would roll, meaning stretch them by having the side of your foot touching or almost touching the ground

i also noticed that since i started wearing my shoes looser i didn't hurt my ankle as much as when i tied them tight

skasta

• §
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 01:03:05 AM »
word... i just got an ankle brace and been skating with that for a few days. still noticing some minor ankle tweaks but it's no biggie. so i'll be wearin the brace for a while and yeah i've been reading up on the exercises for ankles and such, i do em a couple times a day.

Maple Syrup

• Rep: -16
  • rhymenoceros
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 11:39:47 AM »
advice to everyone : wear an ankle brace

i know people wont listen until it happens to them personally, but i recently broke my ankle from a reallly bad sprain, the ligaments actually pulled the bone hard enough to fracture it.  lucky for me, i get the ok to skate again on the 20th.  from now on im wearing a brace though.  you cant even see it if you wear pants and all it does is make it really hard to kill your ankle again.

skasta

• §
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 04:37:45 PM »
yeah, i'm definitely thinking of using the ankle brace every time i skate something big like sets or gaps.
while on the subject... do any pro's use ankle braces?