Author Topic: "anyone shoot guns?" V2  (Read 2345 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
"anyone shoot guns?" V2
« on: March 12, 2023, 12:02:46 PM »
Reviving this thread because it got locked for petty arguing and I don't feel like making an account on some obscure gun forum.

Keep politics to a minimum and don't do personal attacks against other users. I'm just here to discuss the actual side of this hobby/lifestyle/whatever since I don't know many other people IRL that are into firearms.

Previous thread: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112513.0

Currently own a Glock 17 Gen 3. Have been able to take it to the range a few times, but been mostly dry firing at home because of time and ammo is expensive.

For anyone using pelican cases, what non-TSA locks do you use? I have a 1400 case

modern life is war

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
Re: "anyone shoot guns?" V2
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 01:38:40 PM »
I have a Ruger 10/22 and a cheap AR-15 that works fine. Don't get to the range much unfortunately because the closest outdoor range is an hour and a half away and the national forest nearby has banned all target shooting.

When I do shoot I pretty much just plink with the 22 because it's fun and cheap. The AR-15 will get shot a few times but mostly just to check it's all working correctly.

Really want to get a Ruger single 6. I want to be a gun guy so bad and have a big collection but it's so cost prohibitive haha. Also I'm split between wanting to get guns that are fun and cheap to shoot like various 22s and guns that would actually be functional like a .308 for hunting or something that could be used as a CC or just home defence
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 01:46:56 PM by modern life is war »
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 06:06:17 PM »
Wife and I both carry Sig Sauer P365XL 9mm. I still haven't put a round through mine yet. . .

Have a Bergara B-14 in 6.5 creedmore (talk about expensive ammo) that is dialed in from 500 yards, capable of more just haven't had the range time.

Browning 20 gauge pump and Franchi 12 gauge affinity 3, both for bird hunting and trap shooting

Finally, the Savage .17HMR varmant rifle. Also dialed in from 100+ yards but the wind can catch those rounds

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2153
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 10:37:25 PM »
Wife and I both carry Sig Sauer P365XL 9mm. I still haven't put a round through mine yet. . .

Have a Bergara B-14 in 6.5 creedmore (talk about expensive ammo) that is dialed in from 500 yards, capable of more just haven't had the range time.

Browning 20 gauge pump and Franchi 12 gauge affinity 3, both for bird hunting and trap shooting

Finally, the Savage .17HMR varmant rifle. Also dialed in from 100+ yards but the wind can catch those rounds
Golly, I sure do love shooting my .17HMR (mine’s a New England Firearms break-open single) but yeah, a light breeze’ll get one of those things drifting.  Short of the Marlin 1894C Dark 38/357 lever gun though, that tiny, little varmint/plinker is the most fun I’ve had with any noisy stick.
Shame ammo is so expensive anymore these days.
But also… kinda not.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 02:28:27 AM »
I've never shot a real gun in my entire life. A BB gun and an air powered pellet gun are the most powerful artillery that have every graced my clumsy mitts.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 07:02:32 AM »
I've never shot a real gun in my entire life. A BB gun and an air powered pellet gun are the most powerful artillery that have every graced my clumsy mitts.

Shooting .22 rifles and pistols is REALLY fun and very accessible

edit: sorry i forgot you live in Canada (right?)... might not be that accessible there

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 07:23:28 AM »
Shot an M1 Garand over the summer, that was a good time

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 11:43:33 AM »
I have a Ruger 10/22 and a cheap AR-15 that works fine. Don't get to the range much unfortunately because the closest outdoor range is an hour and a half away and the national forest nearby has banned all target shooting.

When I do shoot I pretty much just plink with the 22 because it's fun and cheap. The AR-15 will get shot a few times but mostly just to check it's all working correctly.

Really want to get a Ruger single 6. I want to be a gun guy so bad and have a big collection but it's so cost prohibitive haha. Also I'm split between wanting to get guns that are fun and cheap to shoot like various 22s and guns that would actually be functional like a .308 for hunting or something that could be used as a CC or just home defence

My cousin, who's in the National Guard, broke it down like this:

Get a .22 to shoot for cheap and to learn and practice all the basics like trigger control, grip, sight alignment, etc.

Next, get something of the same platform (IE If you got a .22 semi auto, get a 9mm semi auto) that's reliable and has a lot of aftermarket support and you would trust your life with. Train with that one too and get real good at using it. Get accessories for it like magazines, holsters, and weapon lights.

After those two, get all the other fun stuff. If I could, I'd be getting all the weird wacky stuff or 20th century military surplus so I totally get you.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 11:44:32 AM »

If you ever get the chance to do it (safely), hop in it! It's a real fun experience.

https://youtu.be/HuJfeLT_9wk

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 11:52:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

edit: sorry i forgot you live in Canada (right?)... might not be that accessible there

Yeah I'd be into target shooting with .22s or skeet shooting with shotguns seems interesting too. I don't know that it's that difficult to get access to firearms like that here but it's sure not as easy as in the US. I think you just need to get certified if it's some unrestricted average type of rifle or shotgun.

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 11:59:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Golly, I sure do love shooting my .17HMR (mine’s a New England Firearms break-open single) but yeah, a light breeze’ll get one of those things drifting.  Short of the Marlin 1894C Dark 38/357 lever gun though, that tiny, little varmint/plinker is the most fun I’ve had with any noisy stick.
Shame ammo is so expensive anymore these days.
But also… kinda not.

93R17 is what I've got with an Arken optics scope, bipod and bigger clip. They are fun and easy to maintain!

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2023, 02:44:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah I'd be into target shooting with .22s or skeet shooting with shotguns seems interesting too. I don't know that it's that difficult to get access to firearms like that here but it's sure not as easy as in the US. I think you just need to get certified if it's some unrestricted average type of rifle or shotgun.

Steely. Fellow Canuck. It's not as easy as the States but getting your unrestricted licence here isn't that onerous - under it you can buy shotguns, rimfire and centerline rifles but not handguns. In Ontario you have to take a course and then purchases (at least last time I bought) run through an RCMP check (done while you're in store).

I own 2 shotguns (Browning BPS and a Remington) that these days I say I have for grouse but mostly for clay pigeons as I rarely hunt, and a .22 semi (old skool Nylon 66) that gets used for plinking with buddies infrequently.

This past fall got to put a number of rounds through a ww2 era .303 British with iron sights & a brass buttplate and my gawd that thing did a number on my shoulder.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2023, 05:01:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Steely. Fellow Canuck. It's not as easy as the States but getting your unrestricted licence here isn't that onerous - under it you can buy shotguns, rimfire and centerline rifles but not handguns. In Ontario you have to take a course and then purchases (at least last time I bought) run through an RCMP check (done while you're in store).

I own 2 shotguns (Browning BPS and a Remington) that these days I say I have for grouse but mostly for clay pigeons as I rarely hunt, and a .22 semi (old skool Nylon 66) that gets used for plinking with buddies infrequently.

This past fall got to put a number of rounds through a ww2 era .303 British with iron sights & a brass buttplate and my gawd that thing did a number on my shoulder.

SMLE? One of my dream rifles right next to the M1 Garand.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2023, 05:59:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My cousin, who's in the National Guard, broke it down like this:

Get a .22 to shoot for cheap and to learn and practice all the basics like trigger control, grip, sight alignment, etc.

Next, get something of the same platform (IE If you got a .22 semi auto, get a 9mm semi auto) that's reliable and has a lot of aftermarket support and you would trust your life with. Train with that one too and get real good at using it. Get accessories for it like magazines, holsters, and weapon lights.

After those two, get all the other fun stuff. If I could, I'd be getting all the weird wacky stuff or 20th century military surplus so I totally get you.

Well I guess I already have that progression going with the 10/22 and then the AR15. It'd be cool to get the .22 kit for my AR15 too.

And yeah, i have definitely been eyeing off some military surplus stuff, i'd like to get a nice SKS soon

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2023, 06:00:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

SMLE? One of my dream rifles right next to the M1 Garand.

Yep. Original with the wood stock, brass buttplate and pop up peep hole "sniper" sites/ regular iron sights. First round I'm not afraid to say I flinched like a mofo and didn't even hit the sheet at about 60yrds. After that I got it semi dialed in but how guys could fire off accurate rounds at speed with it - under duress - is beyond me. The other problem is finding .303 ammo. Its hard to come by and super expensive here. I went into a bigger store here afterwards to ask for ammo to replace for my friend what I had shot and they basically laughed at me and said "we'll take your info...and get back to you in 2024".  >:(
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2023, 07:11:14 AM »
I started off getting into guns by listening to forgotten weapons videos on youtube for hours at end at work

I got a beretta, a 1911, a .22 bolt gun, and just last week I've gotten a ridiculous urge to build an m16a2 replica. Realistically, I should probably get a .22 revolver because it would be a cheap way to practice handguns and also easy way to check the 'owning a revolver' box.

This hobby is so expensive though. Compared to skating where once you get your board you're ready to go and basically just swapping a deck every couple months u can get so many hours of fun out of it. Shooting pretty much boils down to dryfire practice and then literally burning money at the range

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2023, 05:12:57 PM »
This hobby is so expensive though. Compared to skating where once you get your board you're ready to go and basically just swapping a deck every couple months u can get so many hours of fun out of it. Shooting pretty much boils down to dryfire practice and then literally burning money at the range

I ended up getting into recurve archery because my gun range had an archery range and shooting was stupid expensive. As long as you aren’t losing arrows it’s like a one time sunk cost and I find it challenging and more rewarding than firearms.

I’m sure I could improve my shooting but generally speaking, I was good with very little effort. It got kind of boring and if you wanted to work on those skills, a quality airgun will get you 95% there for a lot less cash.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2023, 05:40:34 PM »
I could really get into archery right around this point in my life

Sold a bunch of my guns to my dad cause I needed some cash to get through school (stribog, 9mm AK, Ak shotgun, AR).  Hope to get back into it when I working full time again. 

Not sure what’s going on with the brace ban.  Might need to get tax stamps for the stribog and Ak pistol once I get them back
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2023, 10:58:16 AM »
Heads up to 7.62 users: ZSR 7.62x51 Lot 15 has been shown to make guns explode.

https://youtu.be/Q2kjpIwcYFk
https://youtu.be/l6ab-Obnq5E
https://youtu.be/8uHUdtaht9A

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2023, 05:42:13 PM »
Considering the Ruger Wrangler as my next purchase, anyone have experience with it? Obviously just for target shooting and not for self defense or anything like that (and to satisfy the revolver itch :v)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFesCAWiE6Q

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2023, 06:53:59 AM »
I have an 870 w/ a 20" barrel that came on it (used) and a 28" for duck hunting. Good shotgun, does what it's supposed to.

I also have an m&p 9mm for home defense that mostly sits in the safe upstairs, though I do shoot it every once in a while to stay proficient. Not really interested in handguns and don't find shooting them particularly fun.

A handmedown mini14 also sits in the safe mostly although it is a very fun and reliable shooter--and a lot more accurate than it gets credit for.

My favorite gun is my henry 22lr lever action. plinking with some quiet ammo is so fun.

The only other gun I would consider buying at this point is a .22 revolver like the ruger wrangler just cus it would be more fun plinking, but I'm all gunned up for my needs and I have better places to spend $200 for now ha.

TBH the tactical culture/prepper mindset and consumerism that has come to dominate gun culture kinda gives me the heebie jeebies. I see friends get into buying the video game gun of their dreams and morph their politics/identity a bit to justify that and it's just weird. Guns are fun though, it's true.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2023, 07:15:00 PM »
I'm sure this is just a fluke, but it's still disappointing to see bad reliability from something I was kinda hyped on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLomawOk22g

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2023, 08:40:49 AM »
Very interesting to see this concept being a reality

https://youtu.be/2cRm9BMxl90

Peepeeboy69

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2023, 12:42:39 PM »
Honestly don't need more guns but local store has a cz75bd for sale for $500 and I really want to pick it up and sell my beretta 92fs. If you've never held a cz before, they feel so good in the hand.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2023, 10:54:00 AM »
Honestly don't need more guns but local store has a cz75bd for sale for $500 and I really want to pick it up and sell my beretta 92fs. If you've never held a cz before, they feel so good in the hand.

I feel you, in the future I want to sell my Glock 17 to buy something that feels a little more comfortable to hold and much easier to use the controls without shifting my grip (small hand problems).

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2023, 05:11:43 PM »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2023, 08:11:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel you, in the future I want to sell my Glock 17 to buy something that feels a little more comfortable to hold and much easier to use the controls without shifting my grip (small hand problems).

I’ve got a 75b. They really do have great ergonomics although they’re also stupid heavy. If I did it again I’d go for the slightly smaller alloy frame PCR.

I also have a CZ 452 Trainer (.22) which is my favorite, period. Just solid and accurate. It really made me disinterested in anything that couldn’t shoot really tight groups.

Peepeeboy69

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2023, 06:35:25 AM »
I ended up going and since the used one I was looking at got sold already, so rationally I impulse bought a new one for $750. Definitely overpayed but they're rare here, and fuck it right. At the range I was consistently putting probably 9/10 on my 12"x12" paper, and I'm a terrible handgun shot so all in all worth it i guess lol

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2023, 04:10:39 PM »

What did you not like about your 92fs? I've never had one, but would like one down the road, pretty much because Leon had one in Resident Evil 2.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2023, 04:42:30 PM »
is ammo still exceptionally expensive?

i wish i had an FFL and could get rid of some early pandemic purchased brass
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind