Author Topic: "anyone shoot guns?" V2  (Read 2381 times)

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -31
Re: "anyone shoot guns?" V2
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2023, 05:33:01 PM »
is ammo still exceptionally expensive?

i wish i had an FFL and could get rid of some early pandemic purchased brass

It's come down in price significantly and is actually stocked on shelves again (Upper midwest), but more expensive than it "used" to be, but what isn't. . .

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2023, 06:52:40 PM »
Expand Quote
is ammo still exceptionally expensive?

i wish i had an FFL and could get rid of some early pandemic purchased brass
[close]

It's come down in price significantly and is actually stocked on shelves again (Upper midwest), but more expensive than it "used" to be, but what isn't. . .

Looking online 9mm brass seems to range from 40-50CPR. Crazy
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -31
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2023, 04:24:13 AM »
It's .28-.30 a round if you buy bulk. Peak mania it was closer to .60 and higher

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2023, 05:18:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Honestly don't need more guns but local store has a cz75bd for sale for $500 and I really want to pick it up and sell my beretta 92fs. If you've never held a cz before, they feel so good in the hand.
[close]

What did you not like about your 92fs? I've never had one, but would like one down the road, pretty much because Leon had one in Resident Evil 2.

I always wanted one because of Die Hard and because they are objectively good looking but when I rented one I hated it. The ergonomics are terrible - the grip angle and width of grip are very uncomfortable.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2023, 01:26:25 PM »
I know it's not a gun gun, but I've been wanting a decent BB gun for plinking cans and targets in my back yard.
Anyone know a good brand or place to pick one up? Preferably steel BB, not airsoft. Don't want neon yellow balls all over my yard.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2023, 07:16:01 PM »
I know it's not a gun gun, but I've been wanting a decent BB gun for plinking cans and targets in my back yard.
Anyone know a good brand or place to pick one up? Preferably steel BB, not airsoft. Don't want neon yellow balls all over my yard.

Any of the Daisy or Crosman variable pump BB/.177 rifles should be fun. My kid has the Daisy 880 Powerline and it’s decent. We got it a Walmart for less than it’s advertised on the Daisy site.

I have an older Crosman 66 Powermaster that’s great but I’ve heard people complain about the more recent budget models being chintzy. Might be worth springing for the 1000 or 2100 models.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2023, 06:51:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Any of the Daisy or Crosman variable pump BB/.177 rifles should be fun. My kid has the Daisy 880 Powerline and it’s decent. We got it a Walmart for less than it’s advertised on the Daisy site.

I have an older Crosman 66 Powermaster that’s great but I’ve heard people complain about the more recent budget models being chintzy. Might be worth springing for the 1000 or 2100 models.

Hey thanks, man!

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2023, 11:37:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Hey thanks, man!

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2023, 11:57:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Hey thanks, man!
[close]

Finally, a legit excuse to wear an eyepatch.
Now I just need that badass scar that starts on the forehead and goes down over the eye and onto the cheek.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2023, 05:50:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Honestly don't need more guns but local store has a cz75bd for sale for $500 and I really want to pick it up and sell my beretta 92fs. If you've never held a cz before, they feel so good in the hand.
[close]

What did you not like about your 92fs? I've never had one, but would like one down the road, pretty much because Leon had one in Resident Evil 2.

cz's grip just fit my hand better. And also this one picture on reddit of a cz75 with wood grips had me sold lol https://i.redd.it/sao6pdi1yrq31.jpg

The trigger on the beretta is really far back to actuate, which is safer when you carry hammer down with a round in the chamber, but I don't really plan to carry it and it just makes it hard to actuate the trigger.

Nothing wrong with the gun itself though, very reliable and more accurate than I am.

Peepeeboy69

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2023, 05:55:17 AM »
I also have a CZ 452 Trainer (.22) which is my favorite, period. Just solid and accurate. It really made me disinterested in anything that couldn’t shoot really tight groups.

I got a savage mkii and unfortunately the groups I get with it are pretty awful. I suspect the chamber is oversized bc all my shell casings are bulged in the middle. I contacted savage and they said they'll fix it... if i send it to them on my dime and even then I don't even really know how the warranty works.

I got it super cheap though, so it might not even be worth it. I'm thinking of getting a .22 conversion for my ar15 instead

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2023, 04:40:17 PM »
Expand Quote
I also have a CZ 452 Trainer (.22) which is my favorite, period. Just solid and accurate. It really made me disinterested in anything that couldn’t shoot really tight groups.
[close]

I got a savage mkii and unfortunately the groups I get with it are pretty awful. I suspect the chamber is oversized bc all my shell casings are bulged in the middle. I contacted savage and they said they'll fix it... if i send it to them on my dime and even then I don't even really know how the warranty works.

I got it super cheap though, so it might not even be worth it. I'm thinking of getting a .22 conversion for my ar15 instead

Did you buy it new? I don’t know if the warranty is transferable but if Savage is offering to fix it then it would probably be worth it. It ought to be giving you decent groups at 50 yards.

I know a lot of people who like those AR conversion kits. I put them more in the “fun” category. It’s fun to rapidly waste ammo once in a while but I really do find it more satisfying to have a rifle where every miss is your fault.

Peepeeboy69

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2023, 07:03:12 AM »
Did you buy it new? I don’t know if the warranty is transferable but if Savage is offering to fix it then it would probably be worth it. It ought to be giving you decent groups at 50 yards.

I know a lot of people who like those AR conversion kits. I put them more in the “fun” category. It’s fun to rapidly waste ammo once in a while but I really do find it more satisfying to have a rifle where every miss is your fault.

Yeah I got it new. Shipping an entire firearm seems like such a hassle. I bought a barrel on ebay and hopefully i can just punch out 2 pins and swap that out.

super bummed I got the one rifle that slipped thru QC...

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2023, 02:09:33 PM »

I wish I had a rifle/optics just so I can use these

Peepeeboy69

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2023, 01:44:28 PM »
kind of want to pick up a carry gun, but seems most everything is like glock-style now where they're single action striker fired and no manual safety. Most of my other handguns are da/sa and I would feel a lot better about carrying with a DA trigger if it's going to be pointed at my nuts all day.

Was thinking about a p2000sk, but really what i want is a shield or a p365 with a DA/SA trigger.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2023, 02:43:33 PM »
Might get kooked to oblivion, but as a euro this thread and enthusiasm towards guns is wild.

Carry on.

Peepeeboy69

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2023, 09:10:24 AM »
Might get kooked to oblivion, but as a euro this thread and enthusiasm towards guns is wild.

Carry on.

my man if u ever come to the states ill take u shooting sometime. It's pretty fun, and if you're just target shooting its not like an inherently violent thing or anything. I've taken quite a few of my 'non-gun' friends shooting and most of them come out of it having enjoyed it.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2023, 03:31:13 PM »
Expand Quote

Carry on.
[close]

my man if u ever come to the states ill take u shooting sometime. It's pretty fun, and if you're just target shooting its not like an inherently violent thing or anything. I've taken quite a few of my 'non-gun' friends shooting and most of them come out of it having enjoyed it.

Oh, I have shot many a weapon in my day.
Hunting rifles with dad and grandpa as teen, handguns and assault rifles in the mandatory(ish) military service, the occasional shotgun, so I do get fun part.

Guess what I don’t get is the idea of owning guns for personal protection, let alone the fact that it’s legal for anyone to buy a semi-automatic rifle while gun violence is the leading cause of death for US children and teens.

In my humble opinion, people should be realizing that they are not doing a very good job at protecting themselves with their guns, and it’s way too easy for a mentally ill person to acquire a deadly weapon to use on others.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2023, 04:38:14 PM »
kind of want to pick up a carry gun, but seems most everything is like glock-style now where they're single action striker fired and no manual safety. Most of my other handguns are da/sa and I would feel a lot better about carrying with a DA trigger if it's going to be pointed at my nuts all day.

Was thinking about a p2000sk, but really what i want is a shield or a p365 with a DA/SA trigger.

There isn’t much available I can think of. Maybe the recently discontinued Springfield XD-E?

There are a few beefier ones similar to the p2000sk, like a CZ PCR, Beretta PX4, Walther P99c that are all nice. There are also some older, all steel models like a PPK, Mak, CZ 83, Beretta 80 series, but they’re all rather hefty.

I was thinking similarly a few years ago and thought I’d really like one of the 3rd Gen S&W autos. I can’t remember the model number but there was one aluminum framed single stack (also called the Lady Smith) that looked perfect. Never did find one though and I kind of ditched the shooting hobby soon after.

pimp dough

• Rep: 4
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2023, 07:12:53 PM »
I just got a crossbow and shoot it in my backyard

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2023, 08:58:30 AM »
Picked up a Ruger Wrangler and broke it in yesterday. This thing rocks.

Got some improvement. Wrangler helps with getting basic stuff down better and it transfers over to the Glock. 15 yard groups now look similar to my 7 yard groups which is great for me; I haven't shot since January.

Peepeeboy69

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2023, 02:03:06 PM »
yeah I think getting a 22 rifle and pistol is the best move for learning to shoot better. I got a ruger mkiii target and made me a much better pistol shot.

also its fun to be able to mag dump something without having to pay out the ass lol.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2023, 03:22:08 PM »
For the gamers on this forum:

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2023, 10:44:15 AM »
Pretty proud of making the Wikipedia page for the Ruger Wrangler (guess my favorite gun at the moment) more complete. Previously it only had one paragraph. I also included the reason why it's banned from sale in Minnesota (tldr it's due to the materials used in the frame and grip).

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Wrangler

The mods haven't nuked the page (yet) which should mean all the edits I made are correct and backed up with proper sources. I'm thinking of adding a table that properly lists all the variants (different barrel lengths, color, etc).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 11:04:21 AM by yourbreakfsat »

Rip Wheeler

• Rep: 8
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2023, 03:47:03 PM »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2023, 03:47:19 PM »
I have two WWII German K98 bolt-action rifles, and an M1 Garand. Don’t shoot any of them as much as I would like to.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2023, 09:22:34 AM »
Shooting guns can be fun. I’ve done it and had some fun blasting targets at close range, but that’s where it ends for me. I own a two handguns that were gifted to me after my grandfather passed. They’re just .22s and they stay locked in a box in my closet

People who open or conceal carry for “protection” are just incredibly afraid individuals. You have to have a lot of fear in your mind if you feel the need to carry a gun on your person. Like what are you so afraid of? Or are you just hoping you get the chance to shoot someone one day? The gun obsession in the US is insane IMO

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2023, 09:35:54 AM »
…Like what are you so afraid of? Or are you just hoping you get the chance to shoot someone one day? The gun obsession in the US is insane IMO

As a gun owner, 1000% agree with this.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2023, 11:50:17 PM »
People who open or conceal carry for “protection” are just incredibly afraid individuals. You have to have a lot of fear in your mind if you feel the need to carry a gun on your person. Like what are you so afraid of?

Excluding "because they want to and it's legal to do so," there's a variety of reasons why someone would want to carry:

1. They live or work in a high crime area.
2. They live or work in an area where emergency services don't have a quick response time or is unavailable.
3. Fear of being robbed, kidnapped, raped, hurt, murdered, etc.
   - This is especially true for women who are typically smaller and weaker than men.
     - https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/courts-law/2023-04-15/women-concealed-weapons-license-on-the-rise
     - https://www.wtae.com/article/firearms-purchases-increase-women/43920964
     -
4. Fear of being victims of hate crimes.
   - https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/black-people-are-looking-safety-gun-ownership-rcna32150
   - https://abcnews.go.com/US/rise-gun-ownership-people-color/story?id=80008877
   - https://www.vnews.com/-You-have-to-be-dangerous-back---Why-some-LGBTQ-people-in-New-Hampshire-are-taking-up-arms-50053240
   - https://chicagoreader.com/news-politics/queer-gun-owners-are-american-as-fuck/
5. Fear of stalkers, who tend to be armed.
   - https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/taylor-woolrich-stalking-victim-concealed-weapon-dartmouth-university/65322/
   - https://www.wavy.com/news/investigative/court-docs-two-jccpd-officers-fought-over-location-tracking-software-before-shooting/ (Ongoing court case, so everything is alleged)
   - https://katu.com/news/local/stalking-suspect-shot-by-ex-girlfriends-family-member-outside-her-sherwood-home-oregon-washington-county-sheriffs-office-shooting-deadly-gun-sw-207th-pacific-highway
   - https://nypost.com/2022/02/17/tiktok-star-ava-majury-reveals-how-father-fatally-shot-armed-stalker-at-florida-home/
6. Defense against mass shooters.
   - Two examples of mass shooters being stopped by CCW holders:
     - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61615236
     - https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/19/us/eli-dicken-indiana-mall-shooting-bystander/index.html

Or are you just hoping you get the chance to shoot someone one day?

I'd say the average responsible gun owner hopes they never have to shoot someone in their lifetime, like me. I personally want a CCW permit (my state requires one) but moreso for camping or when I'm in an isolated area in the woods or something. I don't have a personal need to carry one in daily life, but others may have their own reasons (ie the ones I listed above). People who CCW always stress the importance of taking CCW classes, and from what I understand a CCW class will teach to deescalate the situation, prevent ego and emotions from escalating the situation, avoid/escape dangerous situations, and to only use the gun when it's absolutely necessary to save their or others' lives. "I really want to shoot someone" is NOT a valid reason to carry, and saying that in a gun shop/range/etc is a very easy way to get kicked out.

In a second hand anecdotal experience, one of my friends lived on the road for a few months as a change in lifestyle and traveled through a number of states. As a solo female traveler, she bought a compact pistol for the third reason I listed and concealed carried it with her at all times.

As for open carry, in an urban setting I think it's dumb since it paints a target on the person doing it. It can also freak people out who may not know it's legal in their state but this can vary depending on the state and culture.

Not looking to argue or derail the thread, but all of this is basically why I support the choice to carry for responsible gun owners.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 12:09:52 AM by yourbreakfsat »