Author Topic: Dual citizenship? Anybody had experience applying?  (Read 532 times)

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 221
Dual citizenship? Anybody had experience applying?
« on: March 14, 2024, 08:18:27 PM »
I am going to try the dual citizenship route in Lithuania. Just interested if anyone has experience ( particularly with EU/ US) dual citizenship. Hopefully I don’t jinx myself by writing this but I should qualify. Both great grandparents were born there and came to US prior to Soviet takeover.

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
Re: Dual citizenship? Anybody had experience applying?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 08:31:49 PM »
I'm a dual citizen. UK and US. Nice to give my family options. But  I can only offer advice on what it looks like to apply for US citizenship as a long time US resident.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 03:56:32 AM »
I've got Irish and Canadian. I can get French also but I would lose some money at work. Definitely get it if you can. Never know what the future holds.

Edit:
I'm sure you already know but a Lithuania citizenship will allow you to work and live in all the EU countries.
(Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 05:51:35 AM by Síota »

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 06:25:49 AM »
You lucky fucks. Im one generation removed from Irish and Italian…. Fughedaboudit
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 06:36:17 AM »
You lucky fucks. Im one generation removed from Irish and Italian…. Fughedaboudit
Wait, if your grandparents are Irish that's all you need. Even just one of them.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 07:45:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Wait, if your grandparents are Irish that's all you need. Even just one of them.

Its the great grandparents that are/were Irish and Italian. My grandfather had Canadian citizenship but he croaked and we never looked into it

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2024, 08:19:27 AM »
If you're from Canada or the US and have the (incredible) privilege to get an EU passport, bless yourself by getting out of North America for a bit and do it before it's too late.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2024, 08:32:35 AM »
Everywhere will have its struggle. Grass is always greener.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 770
  • dog stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 02:42:33 AM »
That's why you gotta go and check

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2024, 10:57:29 AM »
Fun fact: it wasn’t until 1967 in the us where you had to renounce your native citizenship.

Not so fun fact: Canadian border patrol suck my ass. Can I say that on SLAP?

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2024, 08:01:43 PM »
Fun fact: it wasn’t until 1967 in the us where you had to renounce your native citizenship.

Yes. Yes you can.

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 66
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 08:22:52 PM »

True, but I would rather struggle with free health care and a minimum of 20 paid vacation days per year. Those 2 things alone would drastically change so many people's lives.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2024, 10:40:08 PM »
my soon to be wife is dual citizen US/NZ. I guess i could apply as well. They make you jump through a lot of hoops. We have visited her fam in NZ and she lived there for a while but neither of us would want to stay there.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2024, 07:06:25 PM »
Well, fuck me. I don’t qualify anyway. My relatives didn’t leave during non occupation years in Lithuania.  It had to be between 1918 and 1940. Ten hours of online research and I found arrival dates of 1908, 1912, 1912 and 1914.
Pretty pissed about this one.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2024, 08:18:11 PM »
I could have gotten EU citizenship through one of my parents but they passed away before I looked into it (need to be living). From the research I did do, the whole you-need-to-renounce-your-US-citizenship thing is a long out of date concept.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 574
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2024, 05:45:09 PM »

What are those jerks giving you shit for?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2024, 06:18:52 PM »
Well, fuck me. I don’t qualify anyway. My relatives didn’t leave during non occupation years in Lithuania.  It had to be between 1918 and 1940. Ten hours of online research and I found arrival dates of 1908, 1912, 1912 and 1914.

Bummer, dude. My hopes were high for your situation

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2024, 06:22:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was crossing over from VT to Quebec on business and they had me go into the station to cross examine me. Asked me why a Canadian citizen couldn’t do the job I was going to Canada to do. Then they had me open my laptop to prove that I was invited to visit. They also ran a background check while I was there. I really enjoy French Canadians as a group but this bunch was humorless and miserable.

A colleague of mine then went to Canada to fix a machine and the same thing happened except they called the place he was going to and when no one picked up they arrested him, handcuffed him to a bench, searched his car and then denied him access.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 574
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2024, 04:07:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I was crossing over from VT to Quebec on business and they had me go into the station to cross examine me. Asked me why a Canadian citizen couldn’t do the job I was going to Canada to do. Then they had me open my laptop to prove that I was invited to visit. They also ran a background check while I was there. I really enjoy French Canadians as a group but this bunch was humorless and miserable.

A colleague of mine then went to Canada to fix a machine and the same thing happened except they called the place he was going to and when no one picked up they arrested him, handcuffed him to a bench, searched his car and then denied him access.

What a bunch of dicks.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2024, 07:42:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

True, but I would rather struggle with free health care and a minimum of 20 paid vacation days per year. Those 2 things alone would drastically change so many people's lives.

Absolutely.

Fortunately or unfortunately I get better health care here than in the UK due to my wife's insurance and I get almost 6 weeks PTO (+sick and public holidays) so weirdly the US works out better for me on those fronts and I have been able to afford to buy a house, which will be paid off in less than a decade which would have been a lot more challenging for me back home.

You can still be a dual citizen in the US. It depends where your original citizenship is from as to whether you have to 'surrender' it.

I personally would like to end up back in the UK at some point but not sure how we are going to swing it. First have to make sure my kid gets her UK passport.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2024, 08:12:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Absolutely.

Fortunately or unfortunately I get better health care here than in the UK due to my wife's insurance and I get almost 6 weeks PTO (+sick and public holidays) so weirdly the US works out better for me on those fronts and I have been able to afford to buy a house, which will be paid off in less than a decade which would have been a lot more challenging for me back home.

You can still be a dual citizen in the US. It depends where your original citizenship is from as to whether you have to 'surrender' it.

I personally would like to end up back in the UK at some point but not sure how we are going to swing it. First have to make sure my kid gets her UK passport.

6wks pto!?!? County SW?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2024, 09:43:28 AM »
I work for a private non-profit. My salary isn't great but I have been there  long time and capped out at of the top PTO rate but it keeps there. I can basically take a week off every other month if I wanted. I also mostly do four day work weeks.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2024, 01:30:04 AM »
Sorry to hear that dude. There always is the visa route, if your under 30 there is lots of working holiday ones which help get a foot in the door if your not on a skill shortage list.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2024, 09:38:59 AM »
Even within the "EU" it really depends on the country. Depending on the circumstances, you may be required to renounce your current citizenship. If you have to renounce your US citizenship, it costs 2k+. Some countries that would normally require you to renounce your citizenship might give you a pass if you're from the US. You can try telling them you can't afford it.

Dual citizenship has it's pros/cons like anything else. Sometimes a visa may be easier and then you can still apply for citizenship after living in x country for x years (depends on the country).