Author Topic: Antihero heat transfer vs screen print  (Read 1253 times)

Dooky-shoes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Antihero heat transfer vs screen print
« on: March 13, 2023, 02:43:30 PM »
I’m on the hunt for a BA 8.88 deck. I’m a taller dude and those specs sound perfect for me. Nothing in my local but found a few online.
My issue is I really don’t care for heat transfer and it seems like that’s all antihero has anymore. Aside from the eagle team board which doesn’t offer that size.

Are all antihero boards heat transfer now? I’m not a fan of ordering boards online but seems like my only option for that deck. Is Real the same? Do they do a comparable shape?

Lurkey

• Rep: 16
  • LA fool
Re: Antihero heat transfer vs screen print
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 02:46:32 PM »
do any big brands do anything besides heat transfers?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 03:00:18 PM »
I don't think many boards are screen printed these days. A few smaller or DIY operations being the exception.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 04:06:29 PM »
I'm not a fan of heat transfer. I personally believe that's why we see so much cracking on the bottom veneer from time to time.

It's too much heat or something. People are like fuck it. Send it
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 06:24:14 PM »
darkroom has a 9.25 screened deck but its a weird shape

$79.99

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 06:41:16 PM »
Most brands heat transfer nowadays. Super efficient, you don't need to do one color at a time, and can put more detailed stuff such as photographic graphics or painted art.

Stranglove does hand screening unless stated otherwise. Black Label does it sometimes as well, but not often.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 07:47:16 PM »

I already posted this in the DLX thread, but it can go here as well:

I have some older boards that were still screen printed and for some it is quite hard to tell the difference, but yeah 99.99% of skateboard graphics now are all done with heat transfers, with very few exceptions, almost only limited edition reissues and one or two board brands that have smaller runs and advertise "screen printed" in big bold letters.

Screaming Squeedges was the main company that still did a lot of them, but not sure if they even still do many boards now at all.

https://www.instagram.com/screamingsqueegees/

Most recent being late 2022 post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cki68EyJuiW/

Others before that worth a mention:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cki4EeUJ4tj/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ceg-0UAv1lp/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 08:08:26 PM »

These guys screen print too, at least they say they do.

https://www.instagram.com/mastermind_dist/

A bit weird that they say screen printed but also use screen printed heat transfers, so make of that what you will.

That was how heat trasfers were made anyway, with someone screening the graphics onto the flat plastic sheet and then once done, it is heat transferred to the deck.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmUBWhip1Ww/

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 04:47:18 AM »
The vast majority of skateboards sold today from big and small brands use heat transfers. Unless something specifically says "screen printed", you can assume it is a heat transfer. If you want to be 100% sure email the company.

FWIW Life Skateboards out of Indiana uses block printing and will make any size or shape you want. Never tried one myself, so I can't comment on the quality or anything else. They are expensive compared to most mass produced decks.

Bill Salt

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2023, 04:58:13 AM »
I don't think many boards are screen printed these days. A few smaller or DIY operations being the exception.
Absolutely.Screens are out for a while on decks.Ma be some pricy collector shit still are and not even sure...

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2023, 10:21:38 AM »
Carpet screens their boards, and Strangelove gets some (but not all) of theirs done by Screaming Squeegees. The product descriptions on the Strangelove site will say whether they're screened or heat transferred.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2023, 12:13:09 PM »
My last board was a slave and it was screen printed, not sure what size brand you consider them. I rarely get a new board so I am very selective.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2023, 07:59:17 AM »
noob question:
when you have the board in your hands, how do you spot a heat transfer vs a screen printed board ?

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2023, 08:29:18 AM »
noob question:
when you have the board in your hands, how do you spot a heat transfer vs a screen printed board ?

There’s a dimension/thickness to ink that’s printed directly onto the deck. Even with screen-printed heat transfers, you can still see the edge of one color under another and details like that, which you don’t really get with digitally printed transfers. I think the act of heating and pressing the transfer flattens the ink out a bit vs. a direct screen print as well.

The reason boards aren’t screen printed much any more is because of the concave. You need a decently flat surface to get a good print, so the only boards you see screened today are reissues that have wider, flatter surfaces and mellower concave, or small graphics like that Black Ohio deck (gotta pick one of those up if I can find it).

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2023, 05:23:21 PM »
Expand Quote
noob question:
[close]

There’s a dimension/thickness to ink that’s printed directly onto the deck. Even with screen-printed heat transfers, you can still see the edge of one color under another and details like that, which you don’t really get with digitally printed transfers. I think the act of heating and pressing the transfer flattens the ink out a bit vs. a direct screen print as well.

The reason boards aren’t screen printed much any more is because of the concave. You need a decently flat surface to get a good print, so the only boards you see screened today are reissues that have wider, flatter surfaces and mellower concave, or small graphics like that Black Ohio deck (gotta pick one of those up if I can find it).

From that early BBS / Grant Burns video, I think he was saying something about it, and it costs a lot less to produce the graphics on flat beds in much the same way as screen printing and then heat transfer them to the boards, so it keeps costs down as well.

I seem to recall they used to do it by hand, but then they changed to automated machines to do the graphics, which are still done one colour at a time for the most part.

You can see on some boards that the very last layer is often the white backing (closest to the wood once finished) and other layers are on top of that, no particular order that I could see, but there could be something to it, black first, then other colours, then white last, when they print to the heat transfer film which is then applied to the board when done.

It is the other way round when printing directly onto boards, white first, everything else and black last.

Screen printed boards just smell a lot different too - smell like fresh paint no matter how old, as per the Blind reissues from a while back, where they released the screen printed versions and the heat transfers.  When you have two boards with the same graphic, it is easy to tell the differences and yes the screen printed paint is thicker on those ones too.

Skull and banana boards, orange screen printed and blue was the heat transfer.  It was easier just to link the two Instagram posts, than try to dig out the original pics, but I still have all those boards too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhsoPnvl3cF/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnaiQCqhbwd/

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2023, 06:36:07 PM »

Not the shape you’re looking for, but for screen print fans

@toydivision on instagram hand screens his boards and they are sick

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfbxIbhuhGA/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Online store here:

https://rochambo.bigcartel.com/