Author Topic: New Nike SB X Air Jordan 4 ad  (Read 8414 times)

Underpressureflips

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 39
Re: New Nike SB X Air Jordan 4 ad
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2023, 03:46:31 PM »
Everything Nike does is wack

lurkluke

• Rep: 165
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2023, 03:56:56 PM »
Honestly, the more I watch this the more it feels wack.  You’ve got top skaters (both male and female) on the SB instagram doing sick skating to promote this, and they seem like an afterthought.  This ad would have been fine for pretty much any SB other than the Jordans

The whole thing reeks of some outside ad agency trying to make what they think a skate video is.  Feels very inauthentic and weird to use to promote what should be a major change in direction.

It's aspirational marketing on a real basic level.

Girls haven't traditionally been given space to play as teens. Gender roles for the last 200 or so years are: boys do sport and tear it up, while girls stay at home and learn to cook. Ads like this show girls (women, but teenage girls are definitely the target market) being given space to play and enjoy themselves, regardless of how good they are.

I guarantee it's super effective for the target market... (not dudes on slap)

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2023, 04:42:41 PM »
only good things can come from depictions like this. it’s also an ig reel that will be forgotten about a day from now. not really worth caring about either way.
also i know it’s trite to point out but the “empowering BIPOC women” is some super eye roll inducing shit coming from nike.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2023, 04:52:29 PM »
You can count on us to keep talking about it though….

veritas

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2023, 04:56:52 PM »
They really missed the chance to use Seven and Troy for this when they both actually skate Jordan 4's in the supreme videos

BL0B

• Rep: 412
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2023, 05:16:34 PM »

“why, wasn’t so & so in this n that”? tap the link ya lunks, that’s why. holy shit!

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2023, 05:19:09 PM »
I like the commercial.
If the shoe was like 50 bucks I'd rock
This was basically my take in 1989
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2023, 06:04:09 PM »
They were $110 then which is $250 now….they outraged people back then and they outrage people differently now…

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2023, 06:18:50 PM »
Reading this thread made me think of all the innocent people who have been maimed and murdered over these stupid ugly shoes.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2023, 10:26:33 PM »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2023, 01:26:02 AM »
As a dude….I don’t think chicks really need us to be telling them what the right way to do things is…..we say ‘they could use better girl skaters….’ Do we say that just because we like talking shit?  I see girls like this around a bunch and if one said to me ‘I’m filming a Nike commercial tomorrow….’ What would you say to that?

I'd say "good for you! Just please don't say you are 'pro' now and try to sell 1400 $ skate pants".....

Also, I have a pair of Jordan 4s for chilling and there is no way I could skate in these shoes. Too big. I saw Oski rip on IG with these and it just baffled me....plus considering the price tag....skating with these is just stupid if you're not sponsored. or some rich kid shit "flexing", as the saying goes.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2023, 01:34:39 AM »
They seem pretty durable.   Do you think they’d last as long as an equivalently priced amount of vans, Emericas, or lakais

eSK3

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2023, 02:11:40 AM »
They seem pretty durable.   Do you think they’d last as long as an equivalently priced amount of vans, Emericas, or lakais

Speaking from experience: Trace the toe cap stitches with crazy glue and and you can skate these for a long time. My 2016 WC3 lasted so long I got tired of looking at them and gave them away. I’d say you could go through three pairs of the new skate half cab before you blow out a 4.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2023, 02:12:39 AM »
Hmm to compare to something similar it would be the penny 2 which is half the price or the Spanky or new figgy that are about $95. I guess if you bought two pairs of shoes you could switch out every other day and they'd stay fresh longer. But the Jordans might just be better than those shoes anyway, need to wait for reviews. Reminds me a bit of when theeve brought out the titanium hanger trucks. They weren't for everyone but they had a market.

Trilogy

• Rep: -230
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2023, 03:12:11 AM »
why are you guys talking about the ad and ignoring the fact that this shoes look terrible to skate in.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2023, 05:43:56 AM »
Reading this thread made me think of all the innocent people who have been maimed and murdered over these stupid ugly shoes.

How noble of you.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2023, 06:13:01 AM »
@ OP it's called microinfluencing and it's a pretty low cost way to encourage newer customers to think 'hey if I buy these shoes from nike and post about them, maybe they might just put me in the next campaign.' It works to close the gap between the big brands and the average customer, making them feel more connected and 'seen'.

Kind of like how if your park local cool guy was flowed by a brand. Then everyone would probably think the brand is cool and super grassroots, even if the brand is like Plan B or something like that.

kook1234

• Rep: 132
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2023, 06:15:48 AM »
that nose grind footage was sick.  sometimes youll see a picture or an ad with a crooked grind but not the footage.  The caption on this Brooklyn website said it was "crooked grind shoveit out".  that nose grind was sick though

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2023, 06:32:35 AM »
Who do you all think buys Nikes?

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2023, 06:34:41 AM »
Not really a sticker shock guy, but $225 for something as ephemeral as skate shoes is nuts. I remember the SB Jordan 1s being a more reasonable price.

As for the ad, I think it’s refreshing that bad skating is used to sell skateboarding. Although we’re more skilled, what they were doing is more relatable than the tech rail shit that’s been used often to sell product.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2023, 07:23:12 AM »
Any Jordan shoe is automatically being sold for this much beyond the Jordan 1, wether we deem it too much or not it is the norm for the brand.
The amount of phone calls for this shoe at my shop is above and beyond, also the engagement on our instagram is way above most SB releases.
Positive or negative it has the skate world a buzz, and that’s all any brand can hope for.
Skating has also pushed beyond strictly a progressive approach and the fully flaired effect, the overall level is lower and the approaches seem less serious in general(not saying there aren’t skaters at the highest level ever).
Nike is making a huge push for women/lgbtqia community meanwhile emerica is making beer collabs.
Just some observations at Skateshop level.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2023, 08:02:56 AM »

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2023, 08:04:40 AM »

Nike is making a huge push for women/lgbtqia community meanwhile emerica is making beer collabs.

TBH the production value of this Jordan video would've gone way up if it was edited to some stoner doom rock.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2023, 08:46:39 AM »

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2023, 09:44:50 AM »
They knew that first add was garbage and did another one. But it still boring. Dont get surprise if nike cut his entire skate program, they only get worse.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 10:18:38 AM by tadej Pog »
Miss you Rusty Berings

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2023, 10:00:08 AM »
They knew that first add qas garbage and did another one. But it still boring. Dont get surprise if nike cut his entire nike program, they only get worse.

Yup.  Two inexpensive vids meant for online distribution will surely be the end of Nike SB.   You can also tell from social media how bummed all the riders seem on the shoe   

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2023, 10:16:37 AM »
That backside flip was insane

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2023, 10:17:03 AM »
It feels kind of an insult that they don't have Tetty in the ads since the dude skates/skated the Jordan 4s a lot.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2023, 10:26:45 AM »
It feels kind of an insult that they don't have Tetty in the ads since the dude skates/skated the Jordan 4s a lot.
THIS

also tryna figure out how caleb became so unproductive. dude came out swingin in hockey 3 and in the SB video but dude has been on the decline since. one clip of a sketchy switch ollie over a bar?
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2023, 10:46:19 AM »
That backside flip was insane

I’ll try and locate the photo - it’s just as good!

Durao is one of those guys I wish I could get an old fashioned “took 2-3 years to film” skate part from, if you know what I mean