Author Topic: New Nike SB X Air Jordan 4 ad  (Read 8416 times)

cky enthusiast

Re: New Nike SB X Air Jordan 4 ad
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2023, 07:52:13 AM »
i was gonna quit skating until i saw the jordan ad for beginners

Pastasash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2023, 08:02:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Growing up in DC, I would see kids at this skill level or lower skating in their Jordans all the time.
[close]

You write that, as if skating is all about abilities and progression n shit.
I believe a lot of people just skate for fun.

No, you completely missed my point.

I wrote that to contradict what OP was saying, and a lot of people on here are saying, that skating in Jordans is nothing new and I've seen people of all skill level (beginner to sponsored) skating in a bunch of random Jordan models for decades now.

I've also been wearing/collecting Jordans and sneakers since I was a kid and believe people should skate in whatever they like, really don't understand why everyone is so triggered by this collab and marketing for it, this is nothing new and not something to be getting upset over... its just one ad out of 100s they've already done with their male and female pros. 

I didn't mind the ad. I like Froskate, and the dunks they did last year are one my favorite shoes to skate in, I like to support all groups in skating, like someone said below- from April to Frog, there's rad stuff and people in all skate scenes.

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2023, 10:23:45 AM »
Miss you Rusty Berings

Fernzilla

• Rep: 17
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2023, 12:46:40 PM »
This is basically the "shitty concert ticket prices" of the skate shoe game.

jaesi25

• Rep: -153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2023, 01:41:15 PM »
OP is a hater who can suck a sick one
what i want when i want with who i want how i want.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2023, 01:46:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wit_Zyxy9Ac

this is an even worse ad.....IMHO opinion this approach is really disrespectful to women's skating. They would never make an ad with guy skaters who can barely ollie. So why do it for women? especially now when women's skating is progressing so much. they are trying so hard to be progressive that it actually becomes the opposite.
[close]
[close]

Maybe women/girls don’t view skating through the same lens as men/boys do where everything is a competition to do the best trick, etc.    Maybe they kind of get it more than us that skating is just about hanging out with your friends and doing what you love to do regardless of skill level and that’s the lifestyle they’re selling.

Can you even kickflip bro?!?!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

this is an even worse ad.....IMHO opinion this approach is really disrespectful to women's skating. They would never make an ad with guy skaters who can barely ollie. So why do it for women? especially now when women's skating is progressing so much. they are trying so hard to be progressive that it actually becomes the opposite.
[close]
[close]
Everything used to be directly marketed to you, get used to it not being the case anymore

Virtually all complaints registered here against various brands are premised on the idea that they are marketing themselves wrong/not to me.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -480
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2023, 02:03:51 PM »
Sneakerheads Are the worst… wtf kind of weird foot fetish do these people have?
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

Sick_McCrank_

« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2023, 02:20:22 PM »
Also big corpo Marketing is the devil. Nike making ads as if they’re an indie band feels disgusting.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2023, 02:27:10 PM »
Sneakerheads Are the worst… wtf kind of weird foot fetish do these people have?

If they had a foot fetish, they’d hate shoes as they’d cover up their objects of desire

Sick_McCrank_

« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2023, 02:29:57 PM »
Yeah but then there’s the people who like to smell stinky skate shoes. I’m sure they’re on slap aswell offering to buy used skate shoes. On another forum I used to visit these threads were pretty frequent

TreyPhillip

• Rep: 17
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2023, 02:47:13 PM »
Yeah but then there’s the people who like to smell stinky skate shoes. I’m sure they’re on slap aswell offering to buy used skate shoes. On another forum I used to visit these threads were pretty frequent
I think this is called a shoe fetish strangely enough.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2023, 04:01:10 PM »
As eloquently put in the Toni Colette/Cameron Diaz film “in her shoes” - shoes are nice because no matter how much weight you gain or lose, you can always fit in your shoes

switchfakie

« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2023, 05:39:47 PM »
Expand Quote
don't give an F about Jordans, but if my shop can get an easy profit off it to normies, why not
[close]
That's how I'm feeling.

I think they're dope too and would def skate a pair

i wish i could say the same, my local fuckin sucks, so im bummed theyre gonna make more money

hl2

• Rep: -60
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2023, 06:24:33 PM »
never forget the nike choad

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2023, 06:48:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Growing up in DC, I would see kids at this skill level or lower skating in their Jordans all the time.
[close]

You write that, as if skating is all about abilities and progression n shit.
I believe a lot of people just skate for fun.
skateboarding is not fun. I just have to be the best

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2023, 06:52:28 PM »
And I wasn’t gonna say anything but it’s Friday and I’ve had a drink or 2 and women’s skating is so fucking confusing right now. Are we showcasing the good ones or just all of them having fun because that’s what’s selling and then kicking them to the curb once skating is “serious” again? Because honestly I’d love to get some jordan 4s and the whole dlx kit because I’m having fun and represent a “niche” crowd

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2023, 07:02:58 PM »

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 112
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2023, 03:10:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Maybe women/girls don’t view skating through the same lens as men/boys do where everything is a competition to do the best trick, etc.    Maybe they kind of get it more than us that skating is just about hanging out with your friends and doing what you love to do regardless of skill level and that’s the lifestyle they’re selling.

Everything used to be directly marketed to you, get used to it not being the case anymore
[close]

As a female who has fun with her friends and also cares about her skill level and getting better I'd like to see more women featured who skate well. Why can't women have a similar culture to men in skating in that regard?

My friends (male and female) don't see it as a best trick competition ever but we def care about our skills levels and pushing it. It doesn't seem like women doing that get the same type of shine in ads etc like this. Even just a proper popped ollie would be nice. It's not asking for much.

The worst part is that they literally don't care about my portion of the female demographic in skating. It's a poor representation of what the best women have to offer. If mainstream male skate advertising became all about no name cute guys skating who you can't look to for inspiration as someone who's worked really hard to be proper etc men would be upset too.

Def agree with oldiebutfrenchie and the women I skate with would mostly as well. On a local level, I'd say the difference between men and women is that regardless of skill level, we are willing to skate with any other women who are throwing themselves at stuff and care about improving and have a passion for it. I don't see that necessarily amongst men nearly as often.
[close]

i left a nasty comment on this video when it dropped because i didnt read the description which explains everything

this is a collaboration with a company that tries to make it easier for BEGINNERS to meetup and skate together

its not a conversation about women vs men, this video is intentionally showing bad skating because its trying to promote beginners to continue skating

i agree its a dumb video & anybody who genuinely likes skating will continue with or without support from others, but yall have missed the point of it completely
[close]

Fair but my point stands about the differences in advertising between sexes.
Always great to actually have a woman's point of view in these sorts of discussions rather than just have it be a bunch of us dudes trying to assume what their opinion is

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2023, 03:19:18 AM »

Everything used to be directly marketed to you, get used to it not being the case anymore[\b]

This is pretty funny honestly....I'm dangerously close to 50, I haven't been the target demographic for at least 20 years, safe to say I'm used to it now!
Actually I would even argue skating was never "directly marketed" to me...When I got into it in the 80's, it was so california-centric it seemed like a different world to my non-english speaking French ass. Opening a skate mag was a window to a new and exciting universe that I could not understand. Most American skaters probably will not understand this but anyways....

-> Eivetsskates : as Nancy Chin said, great to have your opinion! Counts more for me than all other guy posters.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 472
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2023, 03:57:32 AM »

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2023, 09:34:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

As a female who has fun with her friends and also cares about her skill level and getting better I'd like to see more women featured who skate well. Why can't women have a similar culture to men in skating in that regard?

My friends (male and female) don't see it as a best trick competition ever but we def care about our skills levels and pushing it. It doesn't seem like women doing that get the same type of shine in ads etc like this. Even just a proper popped ollie would be nice. It's not asking for much.

The worst part is that they literally don't care about my portion of the female demographic in skating. It's a poor representation of what the best women have to offer. If mainstream male skate advertising became all about no name cute guys skating who you can't look to for inspiration as someone who's worked really hard to be proper etc men would be upset too.

Def agree with oldiebutfrenchie and the women I skate with would mostly as well. On a local level, I'd say the difference between men and women is that regardless of skill level, we are willing to skate with any other women who are throwing themselves at stuff and care about improving and have a passion for it. I don't see that necessarily amongst men nearly as often.
[close]

i left a nasty comment on this video when it dropped because i didnt read the description which explains everything

this is a collaboration with a company that tries to make it easier for BEGINNERS to meetup and skate together

its not a conversation about women vs men, this video is intentionally showing bad skating because its trying to promote beginners to continue skating

i agree its a dumb video & anybody who genuinely likes skating will continue with or without support from others, but yall have missed the point of it completely
[close]

[close]
Always great to actually have a woman's point of view in these sorts of discussions rather than just have it be a bunch of us dudes trying to assume what their opinion is

Thanks! I really appreciate this comment since apparently it was completely ignored by practically every other guy while they did exactly what you're talking about lol. It's like screaming into the void. I think most of these guys want eye candy and could give a shit less if a chick is any good, especially if she's conventionally unattractive or isn't trying to look cute at all times. tHeY'rE jUSt HaViNg FuN! Okkkkkk dude I'm sure that's your only motivation for your argument.   ::) That said, as much as I hate those guys opinions on this topic I really appreciate men who will actually listen and consider what we have to say about it. Women's skating isn't valued by a lot of male skaters. I'm grateful that the guys I skate with aren't douche bags.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2023, 09:47:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Thanks! I really appreciate this comment since apparently it was completely ignored by practically every other guy while they did exactly what you're talking about lol. It's like screaming into the void. I think most of these guys want eye candy and could give a shit less if a chick is any good, especially if she's conventionally unattractive or isn't trying to look cute at all times. tHeY'rE jUSt HaViNg FuN! Okkkkkk dude I'm sure that's your only motivation for your argument.   ::) That said, as much as I hate those guys opinions on this topic I really appreciate men who will actually listen and consider what we have to say about it. Women's skating isn't valued by a lot of male skaters. I'm grateful that the guys I skate with aren't douche bags.

Woah woah woah.   As the person who originally made the comment that female skaters might not necessarily view skating through the same competitive/snarky lens we males do I find it a bit reductive to think we/I have some patronizing, patrician tone about girls skating because I want to ogle hot girls regardless of skill level.   

I was more speaking to the fact it seems that girls/women are probably more stoked just to see others like them skating because it’s still somewhat of a novel thing and it’s a great to build each other up.   

Skill level is always important, but let’s remember that Beatrice is one of the top sponsored pros at the same time Nicole Hause, who undeniably has ripped for years, finally got officially put on a team (and thankfully turned pro). 

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2023, 09:53:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Woah woah woah.   As the person who originally made the comment that female skaters might not necessarily view skating through the same competitive/snarky lens we males do I find it a bit reductive to think we/I have some patronizing, patrician tone about girls skating because I want to ogle hot girls regardless of skill level.   

I was more speaking to the fact it seems that girls/women are probably more stoked just to see others like them skating because it’s still somewhat of a novel thing and it’s a great to build each other up.   

Skill level is always important, but let’s remember that Beatrice is one of the top sponsored pros at the same time Nicole Hause, who undeniably has ripped for years, finally got officially put on a team (and thankfully turned pro).

I truly wasn't implying that you specifically, or ALL men who skate are like that. I referenced the latter in my last comment l think. I also want to ad that I'm not against any genre of females in skating, whether for fun, to get good, whatever. I'd just like to see a different type of female skater more often in mainstream advertising. Seeing someone who looks like me isn't quite the same thing as seeing someone who looks like me ripping. It's getting better in core advertising tho and that's great.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2023, 10:33:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I truly wasn't implying that you specifically, or ALL men who skate are like that. I referenced the latter in my last comment l think. I also want to ad that I'm not against any genre of females in skating, whether for fun, to get good, whatever. I'd just like to see a different type of female skater more often in mainstream advertising. Seeing someone who looks like me isn't quite the same thing as seeing someone who looks like me ripping. It's getting better in core advertising tho and that's great.

I totally agree and I think it will be when the novelty (for lack of better word) of women skating wears off. 

Perforated Opinions

• Rep: -198
« Reply #144 on: March 18, 2023, 07:06:29 PM »
I don’t fuck with nike. There just pointless.
I’m a fucking purist.

Perforated Opinions

• Rep: -198
« Reply #145 on: March 18, 2023, 07:08:02 PM »
The only art in this; is proving the point you can skate any type of shoe.

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -63
  • eight equals d
« Reply #146 on: March 18, 2023, 09:33:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Its a meat head shoe been a long time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnpJEkFpxAu/?igshid=ODM2MWFjZDg=
[close]

That guy is fucking big!

Never thought I would see nick walker posted on this forum. Thought for a second I was on another forum . Dude is a monster.
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #147 on: March 18, 2023, 10:00:51 PM »
Its a meat head shoe been a long time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnpJEkFpxAu/?igshid=ODM2MWFjZDg=

lol the shoes are bigger than his fucking head