Author Topic: Remote Opening Windows?  (Read 554 times)

bob george

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
Remote Opening Windows?
« on: March 25, 2023, 08:13:50 PM »
I keep seeing this ad on youtube for a VW T-Roc (i don't know or care about cars).

It's one of those 5 second ads that just plays and you don't get to skip it.

It has a voiceover that says "Remote opening windows make the Volkswagen T-Roc even more comfortable." then shows a car with it's windows coming down.

I don't know how much an ad costs, but is that going to sell a car? Why would you want to open your windows if you weren't in the car and how does that make it MORE comfortable/comfortable at all?

I just needed to express my confusion outwardly 'cause these remote opening windows are eating me up inside. Thanks.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Jebediah

• Rep: 110
Re: Remote Opening Windows?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 08:49:48 PM »
I've heard that stupid/annoying/aggravating ads are intentional to keep the scumbag company on your mind. In this case they are leading with a gimmick that does seem to be thought provoking even if the thought is "wtf?"

YouTube ads are great at driving me crazy, lately the fast food and windshield ads (I'm not giving the names air time) have me muting the tv when I can't skip them.

But anyway, I think this is the main benefit of being able to open the windows remotely:

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 08:53:07 PM »
could've been a great ad if it had a montage of people entering the vehicle through the windows

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 09:19:50 PM »
fuck all that shit

I want a car with as little computerized shit as possible
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 09:36:34 PM »
^basically how I feel. Hate that I'm such a boomer/luddite with things like this but it's always like I used to just be able to turn a handle and the window went up and down never had a single problem now every other car has a window that's fucked. Or a door lock. Or the radio has to connect to your phone and shit.
Had a friend who got a new car with the boot that closes by pressing a button and one time she does her shopping and the shit just won't work and she has her kids in the car so she's like fuck it and closes it by hand, gets home and now it's permanently locked shut. Can't get into the boot because the kids seats are in the way, can't take the kids seats out because you need to be able to get into the boot to unhook them.

Tldr: fuck pointless tech shit.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 09:51:49 PM »
I think they have this shit so value-engineered to the point that they know that:

Price of ads + ($30 window doohickey * # of cars) < Profit off of dummies lured into buying their car because of the ad with the special windows

Otherwise they wouldn’t include the doohickeys or run the ads.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

hup

• Rep: 9
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 10:44:16 PM »
I drive a golf that’s over ten years old and it does this. Sure it’s unnecessary, but I appreciate it when I finish work in summer and it’s still 30+ C.
I think a bunch of cars do it, but it’s not advertised much. You just hold down the unlock button on the key for five or ten seconds.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 10:56:16 PM »
fuck all that shit

oh for sure!

my cars so far have been; 1987 Ford Meteor, 1988 Volvo GLE, 1992 Toyota Camry and now I have 1999 Subaru Outback - this is really my first car with computer anything - not that it's been major, but definitely more complications than anything else i've owned. i would like to go back in time with my next car rather than continue with the pattern that seems to be emerging.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2023, 10:57:04 PM »
I drive a golf that’s over ten years old and it does this. Sure it’s unnecessary, but I appreciate it when I finish work in summer and it’s still 30+ C.
I think a bunch of cars do it, but it’s not advertised much. You just hold down the unlock button on the key for five or ten seconds.

sorry, how does it help?

hup

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2023, 01:52:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

sorry, how does it help?

It “helps” in the marketing sense of the word, obviously.
It makes reality (cars get hot sitting in the sun all day) a problem that shouldn’t be tolerated and offers a solution that can be purchased.

The 50 degree air is released from the car and replaced by the surrounding 30 degree air before I get there to open the door.

Also if I leave the windows down and it starts raining I can put the windows up without getting off my middle-aged arse.

newguy

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2023, 05:29:43 AM »
fuck all that shit

good fucking luck with that now that electric cars are getting real noticeable traction. Fuck cars in general, possibly one of the dumbest thing ever invented, so in a way I'm happy car companies are slowly ruining it, might lead more people to say fuck this and switch to public transit (the US doesnt factor in this since its fatally addicted to cars)

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2023, 08:12:24 AM »
Expand Quote
fuck all that shit

[close]

good fucking luck with that now that electric cars are getting real noticeable traction. Fuck cars in general, possibly one of the dumbest thing ever invented, so in a way I'm happy car companies are slowly ruining it, might lead more people to say fuck this and switch to public transit (the US doesnt factor in this since its fatally addicted to cars)

Yeah I wish the usa would also provide some sort of incentives for people to ride motorcycles and scooters too like in south east Asia. All the new cars are just getting bigger and uglier.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 02:37:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

sorry, how does it help?
[close]

It makes reality (cars get hot sitting in the sun all day) a problem that shouldn’t be tolerated and offers a solution that can be purchased.

The 50 degree air is released from the car and replaced by the surrounding 30 degree air before I get there to open the door.

Also if I leave the windows down and it starts raining I can put the windows up without getting off my middle-aged arse.

How far away from the car can you be when you use this function?

apply today

• Rep: 5
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2023, 03:03:41 PM »
fuck all that shit

newguy

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2023, 04:37:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
fuck all that shit

[close]

[close]

Yeah I wish the usa would also provide some sort of incentives for people to ride motorcycles and scooters too like in south east Asia. All the new cars are just getting bigger and uglier.

Fuck those too, bicycles are the future

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2023, 05:34:59 PM »
^basically how I feel. Hate that I'm such a boomer/luddite with things like this but it's always like I used to just be able to turn a handle and the window went up and down never had a single problem now every other car has a window that's fucked. Or a door lock. Or the radio has to connect to your phone and shit.
Had a friend who got a new car with the boot that closes by pressing a button and one time she does her shopping and the shit just won't work and she has her kids in the car so she's like fuck it and closes it by hand, gets home and now it's permanently locked shut. Can't get into the boot because the kids seats are in the way, can't take the kids seats out because you need to be able to get into the boot to unhook them.

Tldr: fuck pointless tech shit.

On topic of pointless tech shit rants, I was recently buying myself a new shaver and I realized people have been completely brainwashed into thinking that a cordless shaver is somehow superior. None of the stores I went to had a model without a battery. The only scenario where a cordless shaver is better is when you need to shave while driving the car or something, but how many times are you really gonna be in that situation in your life? And there are plenty of negatives. If you forget to charge the thing, now you're in the middle of a shave and the battery dies and you gotta wait for an hour for it to charge up. If you lose the chord, you can be sure you won't find a replacement, you need to buy a whole new shaver. I have around ten different shaver cords from different devices and they are all molded just a tiny bit different so that they only work for that specific model. And then the battery capacity goes to shit in a couple of years, and all the devices are set up so that it cant use power straight from the cord so if the battery is dead it doesn't help to just plug it in either.

So the only reason they want to sell the cordless ones is that then people have to buy a new one every couple of years either because they lost the cord or the battery went bad. Meanwhile a wired version would last you a lifetime. And people are completely blind to how much they're getting brainwashed and fucked by all these big shaver companies.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2023, 10:45:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

sorry, how does it help?
[close]

[close]

20m or so, further if you do the hold the key to head trick

As someone who used this feature almost daily it does come in handy but only for one thing. You put your windows down 10mm or so to let air in while you’re working and if it starts raining you put the windows up again

So you don’t come back to hot car

That’s all I got…apart from this reason, useless
listen to cosmic psychos

Jebediah

• Rep: 110
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2023, 11:04:49 PM »

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2023, 11:20:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

sorry, how does it help?
[close]

[close]

[close]

As someone who used this feature almost daily it does come in handy but only for one thing. You put your windows down 10mm or so to let air in while you’re working and if it starts raining you put the windows up again

why don't all windows on all cars have weathershields (i had to google that to find out the name for it) - but you know the little bit of plastic that's like a mini awning off the top of the door. if they did, we could all leave our windows down 10mm at all times and not need to remotely close them if it rained, and all without electronics or computers.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2023, 11:22:02 PM »
also love seeing you back on the boards @matty_c  not that i post much, but i always like to read what you have to say

hup

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2023, 02:34:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

sorry, how does it help?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

why don't all windows on all cars have weathershields (i had to google that to find out the name for it) - but you know the little bit of plastic that's like a mini awning off the top of the door. if they did, we could all leave our windows down 10mm at all times and not need to remotely close them if it rained, and all without electronics or computers.

To be honest, I agree with you completely. My car came with those weather shields. They fell off, but I wish I still had them.

I wanna try to keep this car running cos everything that came out since seems to take over the steering or squawk when you’re trying to park.

The window thing seems to work from as far away as remote locking works, so maybe 50 metres with a clear line of sight.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2023, 05:34:06 PM »
also love seeing you back on the boards @matty_c  not that i post much, but i always like to read what you have to say

Cheers bro I peaced for a bit had to concentrate on work. We got a group chat on signal with cunts on here if you wanna be in it
listen to cosmic psychos