Author Topic: hiking  (Read 942 times)

streetmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 171
Re: hiking
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2023, 07:02:50 AM »
Expand Quote
my main hobby outside of skating. i'm far too deep into the UL world too, if any UL heads know the Ultralight Jerk IG..thats me.

a couple weeks ago i banged out the GA AT section. not sure what i got planned for the year. last year my big trip was the Wind River High Route. i've been tooling around at a high route in the Bighorns in Wyoming.
[close]

Just wanted to shoot a curiosity at you without any research behind it:

Is UL anything like freeclimbing? Minimal gear, testing your stamina while hiking difficult terrain?

not really. the root of it is just taking exactly what you need and nothing you don't need. mostly that means foregoing certain 'comfort' items.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2023, 07:24:36 AM »
Expand Quote
I take my dogs on 3-5mile walks in the woods a couple times a week but never considered myself a hiker and i dont have any gear.

Kind of started looking into backpacking for the first time recently. I want a simple/light setup that I can use to camp on foot or carry in a back pack on my dirt bike (i can get most of the way to canada on old snow mobile trails from my house and i wanna make a trip).

The UL thing is intriguing but the expense/consumerism side of it kinda started bumming me out. Settled on making a cheap tarp set up outta plastic drop cloths which ill test in the woods by my house to see if i can hack it before investing in an expensive tent. Does anyone have recommendations for inexpensive gear, like backpacks, sleeping bags especially?

Are the materials on ultra light shit fragile? Could a bag handle a snag from a branch at speed or would it rip apart?
[close]

theres thousands of 'budget UL' gear lists out there, just google it, it doesn't have to be expensive at all. its been debunked that UL is more expensive than a 'traditional backpacking setup', sure, there are extreme ends of it but to the 'normal' person it isn't any more expensive.

UL fabrics have come a long ways, even over just the past couple years. I have UL gear thats been put through the wringer for over a decade and its still going strong. the only hole i can remember getting was a ember hole in my tarp that was easily patchable.

Thanks. I found the 'shoe string' guide and I think I'm gonna use that as a basis and go from there. bag and sleeping pad are the main concern.

East coast guys, how do you deal w ticks? 2 days of 50+ weather and they're already back. I was out doing trail work yesterday and we had about 15 ticks between me and two dogs. I've had good luck w pemetherin on my clothes but i definitely feel it is something that would give me cancer lol.

streetmeat

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2023, 08:26:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I take my dogs on 3-5mile walks in the woods a couple times a week but never considered myself a hiker and i dont have any gear.

Kind of started looking into backpacking for the first time recently. I want a simple/light setup that I can use to camp on foot or carry in a back pack on my dirt bike (i can get most of the way to canada on old snow mobile trails from my house and i wanna make a trip).

The UL thing is intriguing but the expense/consumerism side of it kinda started bumming me out. Settled on making a cheap tarp set up outta plastic drop cloths which ill test in the woods by my house to see if i can hack it before investing in an expensive tent. Does anyone have recommendations for inexpensive gear, like backpacks, sleeping bags especially?

Are the materials on ultra light shit fragile? Could a bag handle a snag from a branch at speed or would it rip apart?
[close]

theres thousands of 'budget UL' gear lists out there, just google it, it doesn't have to be expensive at all. its been debunked that UL is more expensive than a 'traditional backpacking setup', sure, there are extreme ends of it but to the 'normal' person it isn't any more expensive.

UL fabrics have come a long ways, even over just the past couple years. I have UL gear thats been put through the wringer for over a decade and its still going strong. the only hole i can remember getting was a ember hole in my tarp that was easily patchable.
[close]

Thanks. I found the 'shoe string' guide and I think I'm gonna use that as a basis and go from there. bag and sleeping pad are the main concern.

East coast guys, how do you deal w ticks? 2 days of 50+ weather and they're already back. I was out doing trail work yesterday and we had about 15 ticks between me and two dogs. I've had good luck w pemetherin on my clothes but i definitely feel it is something that would give me cancer lol.

treat your clothes, wear long sleeves/pants/tall socks and take a hot shower when you get home and then hope for the best

apply today

• Rep: 5
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2023, 06:11:20 AM »
Anybody in Denver down to do some hiking? 

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2023, 05:51:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
my main hobby outside of skating. i'm far too deep into the UL world too, if any UL heads know the Ultralight Jerk IG..thats me.

a couple weeks ago i banged out the GA AT section. not sure what i got planned for the year. last year my big trip was the Wind River High Route. i've been tooling around at a high route in the Bighorns in Wyoming.
[close]

HA HA yes!  Are you in the Reddit ULJerk too?  Let me see Lighterpack.  I am subbing in some new stuff for this year. x-mid 1 pro, should be fun. 

[close]

i almost never go to that sub because its just not funny and its the same 'worn weight' joke over and over again.

heres a list https://lighterpack.com/r/9drwp7

Ahh I was kidding, just psyched to see UL on here.  How do you like you Cutaway?  I like mine, it is one of the early versions from before the removable straps and has been really comfortable with 5 days of food.

I hear you on the ULJerk Reddit, I got slow going to the UL pages in general when I realised it was the same fleece conversations over and over again.  I do use them for trip prep though. 

streetmeat

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2023, 03:34:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

HA HA yes!  Are you in the Reddit ULJerk too?  Let me see Lighterpack.  I am subbing in some new stuff for this year. x-mid 1 pro, should be fun. 

[close]

i almost never go to that sub because its just not funny and its the same 'worn weight' joke over and over again.

heres a list https://lighterpack.com/r/9drwp7
[close]

Ahh I was kidding, just psyched to see UL on here.  How do you like you Cutaway?  I like mine, it is one of the early versions from before the removable straps and has been really comfortable with 5 days of food.

I hear you on the ULJerk Reddit, I got slow going to the UL pages in general when I realised it was the same fleece conversations over and over again.  I do use them for trip prep though. 

love my cutaway. its a white DCF one with the 'newer' straps. my favorite pack ever. i have a even more new ultra dcf one in their new shape that i've yet to use, mostly cause i'm not much of a fan of the new shape but maybe once my OG one craps out i'll learn to like the new one.