Author Topic: hiking  (Read 932 times)

wurfnnjs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
hiking
« on: March 15, 2023, 07:29:33 PM »
Been getting back into it recently as a way to enjoy nature and let off steam when i get frustrated by skating/other life stuff Let me know about your favorite spots/trails/stories/gear and anything related to it.

EAT PUSSY!

• Rep: 29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: hiking
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 04:47:33 AM »
crossed Lençóis Maranhenses last year with my gf. 80km, 4 days.

https://goo.gl/maps/CzUj2qoEsBxNx6nQ8

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 05:39:25 AM »
I love hiking/backpacking.  I probably got too deep into Ultralight but it has been fun.

I have a friend who hikes a lot so I try to do parts of his longer hikes every year, I just don't have the time to do whole through hikes with him.

Last year he hiked the Colorado trail so I spent a week on that with him and it was great.
Hoping to get two weeks in on the AT with him this summer.

wurfnnjs

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 11:47:45 AM »
Hoping to get two weeks in on the AT with him this summer.
AT is one of my goals to do someday. I've only been to the part around harper's ferry but that alone is beautiful.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 01:02:00 PM »
Hiking is awesome. I thought I wouldn't be into it as a sober person but its nice to be outside and away from people as much as possible.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 06:22:42 PM »
I use poles on longer/steeper hikes…..I don’t want to blow my ankle out doing nothing….

wurfnnjs

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 04:38:49 PM »
Hiking is awesome. I thought I wouldn't be into it as a sober person but its nice to be outside and away from people as much as possible.
Yeah I feel like I only started getting into it as a way to get into the woods to smoke up but now i do it sober more often than not.

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 08:03:22 AM »
I use poles on longer/steeper hikes…..I don’t want to blow my ankle out doing nothing….

Poles make hiking so much better.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 08:48:25 AM »
Going to be a nice spring for hiking in California. There'll be flowers everywhere.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 08:10:08 AM »
Going to be a nice spring for hiking in California. There'll be flowers everywhere.

It's already pretty nice. Went for a light hike with my old lady on Saturday morning on this trail near my neighborhood and the poppy flowers were in full effect. Large patches of orange, yellow and purple flowers everywhere. Here is a photo of what the hills near my house look like at the moment:

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 300
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 10:27:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's already pretty nice. Went for a light hike with my old lady on Saturday morning on this trail near my neighborhood and the poppy flowers were in full effect. Large patches of orange, yellow and purple flowers everywhere. Here is a photo of what the hills near my house look like at the moment:

yoooooooo where is this in Cali? My lady is visiting me in June so will be doing plenty of hikes in the Bay Area before moving back to Texas

notinternetfamous

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 10:30:19 AM »
also for those who have access to beautiful nature spots, don't take them for granted! wish I hiked more, but skating/biking/rock climbing have been my main time consumers, but in a good way.

I'll be moving back to Houston and there is zero shit to do outdoors

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2023, 12:58:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
yoooooooo where is this in Cali? My lady is visiting me in June so will be doing plenty of hikes in the Bay Area before moving back to Texas

This particular photo is in Lake Elsinore, which is like 75 miles north of San Diego and 70 miles east of Los Angeles.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2023, 02:14:28 PM »
I need to figure out what to wear on my feet while hiking going forward.

I used to hike in full grain Asolos but my knees can’t deal with the lack of cushion anymore. I even have a brand new pair that I bought on closeout that’s been sitting in a closet for years never worn because I can’t get the old cork+gel insoles that made them somewhat tolerable and all those Superfeet and Viesturs insoles are fucking garbage.

Currently just wearing trail runners on day hikes but they suck if it’s wet, or you’re scrambling over rocks, or descending steep hills, or carrying weight, etc.

Anybody got a boot or insole recommendation?

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2023, 05:07:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

This particular photo is in Lake Elsinore, which is like 75 miles north of San Diego and 70 miles east of Los Angeles.

That's incredible
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 07:04:36 AM »
my main hobby outside of skating. i'm far too deep into the UL world too, if any UL heads know the Ultralight Jerk IG..thats me.

a couple weeks ago i banged out the GA AT section. not sure what i got planned for the year. last year my big trip was the Wind River High Route. i've been tooling around at a high route in the Bighorns in Wyoming.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 07:27:25 AM »

I used to hike in full grain Asolos but my knees can’t deal with the lack of cushion anymore. I even have a brand new pair that I bought on closeout that’s been sitting in a closet for years never worn because I can’t get the old cork+gel insoles that made them somewhat tolerable and all those Superfeet and Viesturs insoles are fucking garbage.

Currently just wearing trail runners on day hikes but they suck if it’s wet, or you’re scrambling over rocks, or descending steep hills, or carrying weight, etc.

Trail runners are the most common thing I see now.  I wear Altra Lone Peaks or NNormals.  You can get gortex versions of the Altras but most people don't. 

notinternetfamous

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2023, 09:00:40 AM »
i hike in vivobarefeets lol
my feet (which are flat as fuck) feel a lot stronger the next day tho
i definitely feel less prone to ankle rolling in them, but I don't think I've used them on a 10+ mile hike yet

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2023, 01:40:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Trail runners are the most common thing I see now.  I wear Altra Lone Peaks or NNormals.  You can get gortex versions of the Altras but most people don't.

I've tried a few and have settled on Altra Timp 3 for hikes, especially with steep levels, rocks, boulders, etc. Very comfortable and durable.

chris

• Rep: 402
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2023, 05:17:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I've tried a few and have settled on Altra Timp 3 for hikes, especially with steep levels, rocks, boulders, etc. Very comfortable and durable.

My two cents is find what works for you and keep buying dead stock or lightly used on eBay etc. I’ve been doing that for some Merrells (all out fuse… 12/18) since 2015 (when they stopped making them).  Like board sizes in skateboarding, stack heights seem to wax and wane to keep people buying new shit. Even with a similar drop (6mm) the current trend of massive stack heights just doesn’t work for me (and conversely in the true minimalist shoes my feet just feel so banged up on rocky/rooty trails.  Obviously grip pattern seems to change just as much. Huge lugs seem just as bad to me as something tight and slick.

As for the wet-factor with meshy trail runners, just accept that it’s getting in there and allow for it it to run back out just as fast. Obviously, if you live somewhere cold this doesn’t work.

For the short cold season and winter hikes in other parts of the country I got a deal on some Merrell Altaight Mids and as long as it stays cold and my feet don’t start sweating like crazy I’ve been pretty happy with them.

Being outside and getting to where other people aren’t is the fucking best.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2023, 05:30:02 PM »
adidas make a good range of goretex trail runner type shoes, they often go on sale on their website, but I run stuff stiffer like a boot.  The just don't beat my feet up as bad and i'm always worried about my ankles. 

streetmeat

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2023, 03:03:44 AM »
fyi, if you can find female versions of mens hiking shoes you like and the size also works for you, you can typically find them waaaaaaaaaaaaay fucking cheaper. i stocked the hell up on a very specific Saucony trail runner doing this. the color is god awful but who gives a shit

also, i highly suggest everyone try Injini socks, these specifically https://www.injinji.com/ultra-run-mini-crew.html

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2023, 08:25:45 AM »
I take my dogs on 3-5mile walks in the woods a couple times a week but never considered myself a hiker and i dont have any gear.

Kind of started looking into backpacking for the first time recently. I want a simple/light setup that I can use to camp on foot or carry in a back pack on my dirt bike (i can get most of the way to canada on old snow mobile trails from my house and i wanna make a trip).

The UL thing is intriguing but the expense/consumerism side of it kinda started bumming me out. Settled on making a cheap tarp set up outta plastic drop cloths which ill test in the woods by my house to see if i can hack it before investing in an expensive tent. Does anyone have recommendations for inexpensive gear, like backpacks, sleeping bags especially?

Are the materials on ultra light shit fragile? Could a bag handle a snag from a branch at speed or would it rip apart?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2023, 08:54:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Unless it's raining or going to be extremely wet (common in the PNW), I hike exclusively in trail running shoes and have for years. In the rain, I wear my water resistant boots. I've never done any ultra-distance hiking, I don't know if that would work in that case or not. But on day hikes and one or two day excursions, they are great. I use Brooks primarily, but that's because I can get salesman samples for free.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2023, 08:59:22 AM »
Can’t find many photos of recent hikes but I turned up this one from a hike back in June of 22. The water was ice cold, and I think I got neck deep.

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

streetmeat

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2023, 02:46:42 AM »
I take my dogs on 3-5mile walks in the woods a couple times a week but never considered myself a hiker and i dont have any gear.

Kind of started looking into backpacking for the first time recently. I want a simple/light setup that I can use to camp on foot or carry in a back pack on my dirt bike (i can get most of the way to canada on old snow mobile trails from my house and i wanna make a trip).

The UL thing is intriguing but the expense/consumerism side of it kinda started bumming me out. Settled on making a cheap tarp set up outta plastic drop cloths which ill test in the woods by my house to see if i can hack it before investing in an expensive tent. Does anyone have recommendations for inexpensive gear, like backpacks, sleeping bags especially?

Are the materials on ultra light shit fragile? Could a bag handle a snag from a branch at speed or would it rip apart?

theres thousands of 'budget UL' gear lists out there, just google it, it doesn't have to be expensive at all. its been debunked that UL is more expensive than a 'traditional backpacking setup', sure, there are extreme ends of it but to the 'normal' person it isn't any more expensive.

UL fabrics have come a long ways, even over just the past couple years. I have UL gear thats been put through the wringer for over a decade and its still going strong. the only hole i can remember getting was a ember hole in my tarp that was easily patchable.

companguero

• Rep: 247
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2023, 05:11:16 AM »
my main hobby outside of skating. i'm far too deep into the UL world too, if any UL heads know the Ultralight Jerk IG..thats me.

a couple weeks ago i banged out the GA AT section. not sure what i got planned for the year. last year my big trip was the Wind River High Route. i've been tooling around at a high route in the Bighorns in Wyoming.

Just wanted to shoot a curiosity at you without any research behind it:

Is UL anything like freeclimbing? Minimal gear, testing your stamina while hiking difficult terrain?

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2023, 06:13:01 AM »

HA HA yes!  Are you in the Reddit ULJerk too?  Let me see Lighterpack.  I am subbing in some new stuff for this year. x-mid 1 pro, should be fun. 

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2023, 06:16:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just wanted to shoot a curiosity at you without any research behind it:

Is UL anything like freeclimbing? Minimal gear, testing your stamina while hiking difficult terrain?

That sounds more like fastpacking - usually a running pack and minimal gear and covering miles.  UL is spending money on fragile equipment and trying to decide if saving 45 grams is worth $170

streetmeat

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2023, 07:01:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

HA HA yes!  Are you in the Reddit ULJerk too?  Let me see Lighterpack.  I am subbing in some new stuff for this year. x-mid 1 pro, should be fun. 

i almost never go to that sub because its just not funny and its the same 'worn weight' joke over and over again.

heres a list https://lighterpack.com/r/9drwp7