Author Topic: who made the formula 4s?  (Read 2089 times)

OldCandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
who made the formula 4s?
« on: March 17, 2023, 01:53:57 AM »
Just wondering who made the spitfire formula fours, id like to get in contact with them, Im studying mechanical engineering and really want to make a momentous skate product like the formula 4's before i die lol. I remember the formula 4s being created by the founder of NFG in the spitfire wheel thread but cant find anything on it anymore. Id really appreciate it if you guys could tell me the names of those who created the formula/design for

doh-doh bushings
indy aftermarkets
thunder aftermarkets

I assume the dragons,stfs,spfs,easy streets etc were all created by george powell?
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Threadz

Re: who made the formula 4s?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 05:20:35 AM »
This doesn't answer your question, but:

I've always thought it'd be genius if Bones used their bushing formula to produce replica after market bushings for all the popular truck brands.

Their bushing urethane has always been regarded as the gold standard in formula (no break in, temp. control, rebound).

However, it's just that they insist on trying to reinvent the wheel with those silly core inserts in their bushings that blow out on every.single.pair. I don't understand why they don't just make normal bushings and why they continue to produce a flawed product.

That kinda turned into a rant , but it's just frustrating because they could make some winning bushings if they wanted to. Or maybe there's something I'm missing here?

IpathCats

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 05:45:08 AM »

I've always thought it'd be genius if Bones used their bushing formula to produce replica after market bushings for all the popular truck brands.

Their bushing urethane has always been regarded as the gold standard in formula (no break in, temp. control, rebound).

However, it's just that they insist on trying to reinvent the wheel with those silly core inserts in their bushings that blow out on every.single.pair. I don't understand why they don't just make normal bushings and why they continue to produce a flawed product.

That kinda turned into a rant , but it's just frustrating because they could make some winning bushings if they wanted to. Or maybe there's something I'm missing here?

I would def try some bones urethane, indy standard shaped bushings.

Though i think the hard would be too hard and the medium would be too soft, need something in between.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 06:30:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would def try some bones urethane, indy standard shaped bushings.

Though i think the hard would be too hard and the medium would be too soft, need something in between.

I don’t use the bones bushings anymore, but when I did, hards. Semi cranked down and left em like that when not skating, and then I’d loosen them up. The hards, loose, were the way for me. Mediums were nice,  but roached pretty quick. Softs were for people that didn’t want to ollie. Respectfully.

roll_dog

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 06:52:22 AM »
Do you want to meet the creator of doh dohs to shame him? I never understood those things, they sucked for me. Probably didn't make a difference in the tight trucks era.

I can also say the bones hards held up for me.

ish_wav

• Rep: 93
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 06:57:49 AM »
Dont mini logo bushings use the same urethane as the bones cored bushing?

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 07:16:13 AM »
i always thought bones were trash, they always blow out over the plastic piece after a few sessions

ive been using black dohdohs in 5.2 venture los and they've held up perfectly for almost a year now

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 750
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2023, 07:55:03 AM »
Just wondering who made the spitfire formula fours, id like to get in contact with them, Im studying mechanical engineering and really want to make a momentous skate product like the formula 4's before i die lol. I remember the formula 4s being created by the founder of NFG in the spitfire wheel thread but cant find anything on it anymore. Id really appreciate it if you guys could tell me the names of those who created the formula/design for

doh-doh bushings
indy aftermarkets
thunder aftermarkets

I assume the dragons,stfs,spfs,easy streets etc were all created by george powell?

Gotta love how the thread convo ignored OP and turned into a thread about Bones bushings

Aaron Holm is supposed to be the person that made F4s, and founded NFGMFG.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/aaron-holm-018909a?original_referer=

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2023, 07:55:51 AM »

Possibly, because those are actually great. Not marketed as the same durometers though

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2023, 09:40:07 AM »
Expand Quote

doh-doh bushings
indy aftermarkets
thunder aftermarkets

[close]

Gotta love how the thread convo ignored OP and turned into a thread about Bones bushings

according to his linkedin he started at deluxe i believe after the formula fours were released.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2023, 02:26:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

doh-doh bushings
indy aftermarkets
thunder aftermarkets

[close]

[close]
according to his linkedin he started at deluxe i believe after the formula fours were released.

I don’t think he invented it, or I could be wrong, he definitely worked on the formula, at least according to the NFG website
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 04:51:41 PM »

I have no doubt he is an amazing human when it comes to urethane products, but Formula Four wheels came out in 2013 with prototypes going to team dudes in late 2012 from what people have said and others have confirmed.

Didn't the NFG guy only start at DLX in 2014?

So from what he and someone else had said, he was there to make the urethane bushings a better formula and fix some production issues with other urethane products, which I guess included wheels.

I went looking and found this:

This is his profile with resume, started in 2014 at DLX (and Pointech, which makes their wheels / urethane products)

https://www.signalhire.com/profiles/aaron-holm%27s-email/26537428

Founder and Manager at NFG Manufacturing, LLC
Aug 2017 - Current

Materials Advisor and Technical Consultant for Manufacturing at Deluxe Distribution
Jan 2017 - Jun 2017

Program Manager at Pointech and Deluxe Distribution
Jun 2014 - Dec 2016

Technical and Business Consultant at Pointech and Deluxe Distribution
Feb 2014 - May 2014

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

skatebruh

• Rep: 27
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2023, 05:46:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Possibly, because those are actually great. Not marketed as the same durometers though
Mini Logo bushings are pretty much Bones bushings without the cores and slightly different durometers. I use them in my Thunders because they don't get harder when it's cold like stock Thunder bushings.

Bold

• Rep: 18
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2023, 07:31:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Mini Logo bushings are pretty much Bones bushings without the cores and slightly different durometers. I use them in my Thunders because they don't get harder when it's cold like stock Thunder bushings.

Mini logo bushings are the bomb

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 51
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2023, 08:44:22 PM »
Arron Holm did not create the formula four. He started working at Pointech 4-6 months after formula fours came out. I forgot the name of the guy who created the formula. If I find out I will let you know.
How much for an order of ribs?

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2023, 11:55:45 PM »
thanks so much for the information,

i think perhaps the bones bushing wouldnt blow out if they used the grindking style built-in washer,

also my bones bushings never blew out, i think its because of how cold skating in canada is and my thunders are too low to fully compress the bushings.

the only career related things i found is this
https://www.dlxsf.com/jobs/hardgoods-development-assistant/

I think ill email them a cover letter and a resume maybe they will hire me when i graduate or better yet offer me a summer internship lol

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2023, 11:57:17 PM »

dm me in 5 years when I finish my degree and co-op, ill send you some prototype bushings

too bad my university shop doesnt have any spare urethane laying around

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2023, 06:05:20 AM »
If you are studying ME maybe try working on a project to reduce the sloppiness in skateboard wheel manufacturing. Runout, inaccurate bearing seats, improperly sized for spacers, etc. are common problems that few companies have addressed.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2023, 08:08:30 AM »
If you are studying ME maybe try working on a project to reduce the sloppiness in skateboard wheel manufacturing. Runout, inaccurate bearing seats, improperly sized for spacers, etc. are common problems that few companies have addressed.
better machining tolerances and quality control but they are not making plane parts
it won't happen unless you accept to pay more for your wheels
If you want better tolerances, you gotta pay the price

spacers are on shitty machining tolerances too

if you are that upset about it, just sand down your spacers or bearing seats and make them right, pretty easy fix

blahblah999

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2023, 08:33:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
better machining tolerances and quality control but they are not making plane parts
it won't happen unless you accept to pay more for your wheels
If you want better tolerances, you gotta pay the price

spacers are on shitty machining tolerances too

if you are that upset about it, just sand down your spacers or bearing seats and make them right, pretty easy fix

There are probably simple things that can be done to improve tolerances. I pretty much only buy cored or dual duro type wheels now which are the only types I've found that didn't have very sloppy tolerances.

I'm happy to pay more for quality. I already do that. There are plenty of things in this industry that are sloppy AF and people blindly accept it because they do not know any better.

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2023, 08:37:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have the red 100a mini logo bushings, and and these things have zero rebound, and freeze completely when cold.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

blahblah999

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2023, 08:45:52 AM »

I have the red 100a mini logo bushings, and and these things have zero rebound, and freeze completely when cold.

Bushings of that duro are going to be rock hard no matter what company they come from.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2023, 11:10:54 AM »
From the sounds of it, Aaron Holm would likely know who is responsible for these beasts. it also sounds like he would have massive insight into how the wheels are made even if he wasnt the person who invented it.
ONTARIO CANADA

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2023, 05:00:16 PM »
From the sounds of it, Aaron Holm would likely know who is responsible for these beasts. it also sounds like he would have massive insight into how the wheels are made even if he wasnt the person who invented it.

He sure did give it a red hot go with NFG MFG and made a lot of wheels that people loved, the only shortfall being insufficient funds to keep his manufacturing going.

At least while he was around, those wheels were known globally and although I didn't get the chance to try any, I think the legacy of his product will be remembered.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2023, 07:25:59 PM »

what is runout?

just buy race reds lol

im thinking that best case would just for the bearing seat to be a plastic insert like bones bushings but that might be too jarring (i think there was a version of dragons with cores and users said there was too much vibration/jarring on rough ground)

blahblah999

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2023, 07:36:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what is runout?

just buy race reds lol

im thinking that best case would just for the bearing seat to be a plastic insert like bones bushings but that might be too jarring (i think there was a version of dragons with cores and users said there was too much vibration/jarring on rough ground)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-out

Bearings with built in spacers won't do anything for runout. The only real solution is to take the wheels with runout and throw them in the trash. Then find another set of wheels that are made a bit better. IME that means some type of cored wheel or dual duro wheel. No skateboard wheel is perfect, but again, big differences IME with respect to the runout problem. Not to say a cored wheel can't be defective and have too much runout.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2023, 08:22:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

"My hard bushings are too hard"

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2023, 07:29:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

"My hard bushings are too hard"

Yeah, I’m a clown. But seriously, turning on these is like have the brake pedal sticking in your car. The brakes just won’t come back off. They’re nothing like the bones formula. The bones are more ‘foamy’ for lack of a better word, in the formula. Mini logos are just much more dense and don’t pop back.

I wish bones made barrel and cone. Cored or not. That’d be sick.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

skatebruh

• Rep: 27
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2023, 08:24:46 AM »
The 100a hard Mini Logo bushings are way harder than the 96a hard Bones bushings. I wouldn't recommend them unless you like super tight trucks or weigh more than 200 lbs.