Author Topic: Broadway and Pathways 2: opposing full lengths of old vs. new architecture  (Read 954 times)

happenstance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I released the second part of my double-feature full lengths today. It's two videos of opposing concepts, while having a lot of continuity between the two. Another pal created a Pathways 2 thread when it came out a few weeks ago, but with the release of Broadway today, I wanted to share that they should be viewed as 2 parts of a whole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkCbrApSfQk
Broadway tours the older architecture of the Bay Area without stepping foot in San Francisco. Focused primarily in the East Bay, but stretching into small cities, and even rural towns around Northern California, it shows the value of what can be found on the periphery of a great skate metropolis. It’s an appreciation for the built environment, people, culture, and real life happening around us. An 8-year endeavor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIa2PLRnJ-8
Pathways 2 is an imagined world of skateable modern architecture and surreal imagery, drawing its influence from the creative skate videos of Japan. Six years in the making and filmed primarily in the San Francisco Bay Area, it stars Josh Paz, Elijah Akerly, Chris Jatoft, and many more.

I also did an interview with Free Skate Mag on their site with the release. You can find a link to the first Pathways there as well.
https://www.freeskatemag.com/2023/02/16/broadway-full-video-an-interview-with-brett-nichols/

Lastly, I have a written interview with @silhouette for the Vladimir Film Festival late last year (yes, you absolutely should go!). Thanks Aymeric!
https://vladimirfilmfestival.com/brett-nichols-interview/

There's handful of pals in both, along with fantastic artwork by our very own @Cosme. A full magazine and DVD coming eventually. I'm aware I'm doing this in the wrong order, it's just been so long, and I wanted to get the videos out there as I know it'll take more time to get hard copies.

I hope you all enjoy.

Deepsearch

• Rep: 2
I released the second part of my double-feature full lengths today. It's two videos of opposing concepts, while having a lot of continuity between the two. Another pal created a Pathways 2 thread when it came out a few weeks ago, but with the release of Broadway today, I wanted to share that they should be viewed as 2 parts of a whole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkCbrApSfQk
Broadway tours the older architecture of the Bay Area without stepping foot in San Francisco. Focused primarily in the East Bay, but stretching into small cities, and even rural towns around Northern California, it shows the value of what can be found on the periphery of a great skate metropolis. It’s an appreciation for the built environment, people, culture, and real life happening around us. An 8-year endeavor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIa2PLRnJ-8
Pathways 2 is an imagined world of skateable modern architecture and surreal imagery, drawing its influence from the creative skate videos of Japan. Six years in the making and filmed primarily in the San Francisco Bay Area, it stars Josh Paz, Elijah Akerly, Chris Jatoft, and many more.

I also did an interview with Free Skate Mag on their site with the release. You can find a link to the first Pathways there as well.
https://www.freeskatemag.com/2023/02/16/broadway-full-video-an-interview-with-brett-nichols/

Lastly, I have a written interview with @silhouette for the Vladimir Film Festival late last year (yes, you absolutely should go!). Thanks Aymeric!
https://vladimirfilmfestival.com/brett-nichols-interview/

There's handful of pals in both, along with fantastic artwork by our very own @Cosme. A full magazine and DVD coming eventually. I'm aware I'm doing this in the wrong order, it's just been so long, and I wanted to get the videos out there as I know it'll take more time to get hard copies.

I hope you all enjoy.

Man great to find you here! Big fan of your work, hope to have the chance to know you in Vladimir next year!

P.s. is pathways 2 a bit inspired by spirit quest as well?

Deepsearch

• Rep: 2
Man great to find you here! Big fan of your work, hope to have the chance to know you in Vladimir next year!

anthonym

• Rep: -21
Pathways 2 is an absolute masterpiece
R.I.P. Boardertown - Oakland, CA

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Bump
Why isn't this on the first page with more views and posts

Great contrast with Pathways 2. Cutty spots eh. There was good cellar door footage. Some of the spots left me wondering as well. For example, what is happening here...

The docks/industrial footage was my favorite.
Was that Militante in a Pikachu shirt?
I am excited for the dvd.
But also Brett how many of those fires did you really start?

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Appreciate the kind words. You should definitely check Vladimir film fest! It's skate nerd adult summer camp.

I find Spirit Quest to be an inspiring video, but can't say it was necessarily something I was drawing from. No disrespect to Colin. I started the first Pathways in 2011, and finished in 2016 before SQ came out. I mostly was trying to improve on what I'd done in part 1. If I can think of anything Spirit Quest inspired me to do, maybe it would be more match cuts, which I had done minimally in the first Pathways. I think the parallel could be that we both drew a lot of inspiration from Japanese videos.

Bump
Why isn't this on the first page with more views and posts

Great contrast with Pathways 2. Cutty spots eh. There was good cellar door footage. Some of the spots left me wondering as well. For example, what is happening here...

The docks/industrial footage was my favorite.
Was that Militante in a Pikachu shirt?
I am excited for the dvd.
But also Brett how many of those fires did you really start?
That spot is a ramp for 18 wheeler truck repairs, so the mechanic can get under the vehicle. It was pretty sketch actually as it was covered in grease.

Yes, that was a Pikachu shirt. Militante wears some fun gear.

And swear I'm not an arsonist but it's an easy mistake to make  ;D

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
@happenstance , your videos are great and have answered a handful of my "who the fuck skated this?" questions in regards to finding skate marks in the most random places around the Bay Area.

I watched a small snippet of Broadway yesterday and it really unintentionally motivated me to get out and explore SF with a different outlook. For some reason I found myself taking every new route versus the same old path, or even revisiting old spots and realizing "oh shit, that's actually skateable".

Well done. Looking forward to making some time to watch both videos from end to end. Catching random snippets on social media has been rad. The editing, soundtrack, spot selection, angles, and non skate footy... chef's kiss.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 123
Incredible stuff @happenstance! The fact you have been working on these for so long has my utmost respect. I like both ideas behind the videos and the way you translated them into film works really well. Surely these are not your classical skatevideos. To me the non-skate clips were getting a bit much at the end but I blame that on not watching on a big screen.
Quite a random highlight but the sound of both skater and filmer skating over those marks at around 3:30 in Pathways 2 put a huge smile on my face.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 07:32:26 AM by devils acrobat »

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
Broadway is such an incredible archive of Oakland and the greater east bay culture. Love seeing the spots in my “burb”. As tkp said - seriously inspirational (especially to get my ass out of skate parks and my go-to parking lots).

Also wanted to say that the whole vid is such a pleasant watch with the music and b-roll and golden sunlight. and beyond the skateboarding I think you really captured what makes this side of the bay such a special combination of cultural, natural, and urban diversity.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
@happenstance , your videos are great and have answered a handful of my "who the fuck skated this?" questions in regards to finding skate marks in the most random places around the Bay Area.
You lurk harder for off-the-beaten path spots than anyone I know out here. Curious what spots you're talking about @tkp

Quite a random highlight but the sound of both skater and filmer skating over those marks at around 3:30 in Pathways 2 put a huge smile on my face.
I actually remove a lot of my filmer noises. Just try to dub out distractions like foot scrapes, and throwing boards down in lines. This was one of the few I left in, and glad I did now! Just trying to bring a bit of joy here.

I think you really captured what makes this side of the bay such a special combination of cultural, natural, and urban diversity.
I really made this video for the locals. Lots of stuff in here, with some subtle significance that others might not catch. Glad to hear you got something from it. Cheers! What area do you live in?

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255

I really made this video for the locals. Lots of stuff in here, with some subtle significance that others might not catch. Glad to hear you got something from it. Cheers! What area do you live in?
[/quote]

El Cerrito - everything is changing so fast it’s cool to see the older terrain shine.

The video is incredible on a big tv too.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
Yep, definitely a few El Cerrito spots in the video. Nice city to live in too!

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
These are incredible Brett.

Lucky_Basek

• Rep: 55
I've had pathways 2 and Broadway as a playlist playing all week.
Any moment I turn my head and see beautiful images.
Thank you for making such incredible archives of place and culture.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 84
  • What the fuck was that
So good
Cocteau Twins