Author Topic: Is trick madness a thing?  (Read 566 times)

sle_epy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -82
Is trick madness a thing?
« on: March 18, 2023, 09:01:49 AM »
I hear a lot about board madness, truck madness, or ritual madness before attempting a trick. I participate in all three, but by far my most extreme madness is trick madness. I'm obsessed with making my tricks look how I want and I obsessively break every part down to truly understand the mechanics and what I need to do to be successful. Most people don't seem to do this that I skate with, but I find that a side benefit is I'm good at teaching people how to do tricks, and doing that sometimes offers me new insights I hadn't thought about. I'm not sure why but skating isn't fun to me if I can't eventually express myself exactly how I'd like to and look proper doing it. I also hate the have fun versus doing tricks proper debate. It's not a flex to be able to do a trick properly, what it does is give you access to so many other tricks, lines, combos etc. Sometimes I wish I didn't care because it can be frustrating but it's never going to go away so I've accepted it. I'm wondering who else is afflicted by trick madness.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

turbo 2.0

• Rep: 52
Re: Is trick madness a thing?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 12:23:50 PM »
When you’ve accepted that everything you do looks like shit skateboarding becomes a lot more fun. I used to obsess over how shit looked when filming but now if it doesn’t look good after retrying it a time or two I’m over it.

sle_epy

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 01:50:12 PM »
When you’ve accepted that everything you do looks like shit skateboarding becomes a lot more fun. I used to obsess over how shit looked when filming but now if it doesn’t look good after retrying it a time or two I’m over it.

Well, I guess unless you're able to get tricks to where you want them. Then you want them all as good.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 02:10:32 PM »
I wouldn't go as far as saying i have 'madness' but i do spend a lot of time trying to get my tricks looking legit. If I learn something new I'll usually film it and then watch it over and over again, thinking about how i can make it look better.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 03:13:33 PM »
I don't really have trick madness but I remember someone tried telling me I was doing my ollies wrong. I have a decently high boned-out ollie but according to them I was doing them wrong because I wasn't popping exactly off the edge of the tail.

Foot placement works differently for everyone. I kinda feel like tutorials have given people some form of accute brain poisoning, you watch a couple to get the same advice that was probably taken from one of those old Tony Hawk trick tip videos.

I think there needs to be more of an emphasis of getting comfortable and shit before doing tricks, I remember a couple weeks ago I was at a sesh hosted by one of the skate shops for women's day, and this dad was asking everyone to teach his daughter how to ollie who legitimately just started like the day before and he was getting pretty antsy when she wouldn't do it right immediately- kid looked like they were 7 or some shit.

Anyway, that's besides the point, fuckin the closest thing to trick madness I have is kickflips. I don't particularly like doing them because they look mobbed as fuck and I can't get the flick right, but I have heels decently consistent.

sle_epy

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 03:22:17 PM »
I don't really have trick madness but I remember someone tried telling me I was doing my ollies wrong. I have a decently high boned-out ollie but according to them I was doing them wrong because I wasn't popping exactly off the edge of the tail.

Foot placement works differently for everyone. I kinda feel like tutorials have given people some form of accute brain poisoning, you watch a couple to get the same advice that was probably taken from one of those old Tony Hawk trick tip videos.

I think there needs to be more of an emphasis of getting comfortable and shit before doing tricks, I remember a couple weeks ago I was at a sesh hosted by one of the skate shops for women's day, and this dad was asking everyone to teach his daughter how to ollie who legitimately just started like the day before and he was getting pretty antsy when she wouldn't do it right immediately- kid looked like they were 7 or some shit.

Anyway, that's besides the point, fuckin the closest thing to trick madness I have is kickflips. I don't particularly like doing them because they look mobbed as fuck and I can't get the flick right, but I have heels decently consistent.

Agreed about trick tip videos but they've gotten a lot better now that people can monetize them. I tend to mine through them all for that little nugget of wisdom that no one else seems to mention and when I find it it almost always makes the difference for me between figuring it out or not. I remember maybe it was norman woods who said when doing bs 180s, pretend you're going fakie in your mind and when you pop already be looking behind you, not down at your board. Unlocked it for me almost immediately after like three years of shitty scooped slow roll bs 180s. Love when I come across smthng like that. It also helps if the dude is an actual instructor like NW. Kickflips are a big point of madness for me. I ended up getting them how I like them to look, so now it's about them feeling exactly the same every time when I catch and land. I can't walk away for the day til I've popped one more nice one.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 07:40:24 PM »
Now I'm old and burnt and don't care anymore but I remember being young and everything was so strict. Less madness and more like just do it properly or not at all shit.
weirdly these have come up in a few threads recently but first would be over waxing was thought of kind of like cheating. It meant something to do a grind or slide over 5 feet long. You actually had to go fast, lock in perfect, lean back and push the board with your legs any doofus could just stand on their board while it slid by itself.
My group in particular was super strict on no nose or tail drag with nosegrinds and 5-0s funny now when I see something like a crob nosegrind where the person is just pumping along the ledge I actually hate it (even tho I still do it myself)
Third is in the early 00s I did every type of Muska/illusion/didit whatever you want to call them flips but let myself by peer pressured by the haters to stop doing them in favour of the proper flick flip tricks. I still had a decent bag of tricks but never popped as high as the muskas. (Got a seperate theory with this being to do with being pretty tall)

sle_epy

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 02:41:25 AM »
Now I'm old and burnt and don't care anymore but I remember being young and everything was so strict. Less madness and more like just do it properly or not at all shit.
weirdly these have come up in a few threads recently but first would be over waxing was thought of kind of like cheating. It meant something to do a grind or slide over 5 feet long. You actually had to go fast, lock in perfect, lean back and push the board with your legs any doofus could just stand on their board while it slid by itself.
My group in particular was super strict on no nose or tail drag with nosegrinds and 5-0s funny now when I see something like a crob nosegrind where the person is just pumping along the ledge I actually hate it (even tho I still do it myself)
Third is in the early 00s I did every type of Muska/illusion/didit whatever you want to call them flips but let myself by peer pressured by the haters to stop doing them in favour of the proper flick flip tricks. I still had a decent bag of tricks but never popped as high as the muskas. (Got a seperate theory with this being to do with being pretty tall)

That's rough, I'm glad we are past anyone else vocally giving a shit about what someone else's tricks look like (at least irl with normal ppl). That said, I don't mind a touch of gate keeping personally, minus the shit talking or shaming.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 03:51:56 AM »
Practicing tricks so they look good is a waste of life to me. I'd rather spend that time on another skill I can actually benefit from. I'm not sponsored or out to entertain anybody so I don't care about style much. I'll practice them so they're easier which equals more fun and less frustration and self doubt obviously.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2023, 03:59:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's rough, I'm glad we are past anyone else vocally giving a shit about what someone else's tricks look like (at least irl with normal ppl). That said, I don't mind a touch of gate keeping personally, minus the shit talking or shaming.
To be fair tho if you really wanted to do any of those things you still could you just wouldn't be cool. (And I'm prob more annoyed at myself for stopping doing the Muska flips to not be uncool rather than the shit talkers lol)

sle_epy

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2023, 04:09:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
To be fair tho if you really wanted to do any of those things you still could you just wouldn't be cool. (And I'm prob more annoyed at myself for stopping doing the Muska flips to not be uncool rather than the shit talkers lol)

I like a well executed muska flip and I think they def have their applications. Ppl should just learn both types of fs flips if they can.

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2023, 10:42:54 AM »
Practicing tricks so they look good is a waste of life to me. I'd rather spend that time on another skill I can actually benefit from. I'm not sponsored or out to entertain anybody so I don't care about style much. I'll practice them so they're easier which equals more fun and less frustration and self doubt obviously.

I tend to lean against this theory ^^ myself nowadays.
I remember the red-faced, sweat soaked days of frustration trying a trick over and over in my late teens. Thinking back now at 40 i enjoy taking a bit more time these days and using energy in a more positive and resourceful way to get tricks. Also my mind seems a bit more peaceful and focused which seems to help learn stuff.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2023, 12:43:29 PM »
I get it with some tricks and not others, usually flip variations....just coming off the back of a 3 month obsession trying to perfect my BS flips.