Author Topic: Has anyone fumbled their career more than Trevor Colden?  (Read 10762 times)

BelknappBruiser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
Re: Has anyone fumbled their career more than Trevor Colden?
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2023, 09:15:53 AM »
Dumbfounded that it collectively took until page 3 for one of us to remember/mention Trepasso.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 09:38:17 AM by BelknappBruiser »

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2023, 09:30:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Technically anyone who isn't pro has fumbled their career. Aka all of of slap.
[close]
Not all of us were potential pros to begin with. I think someone had to at least be a sponsored am.

No one has mentioned Brian Emmers, who had a sick part in Plan B Revolution and then disappeared. A friend of mine used to skate with him and said he was way ahead of his time. I can’t remember why he never went anywhere
[close]

Didn’t he write a letter to a bunch of companies saying he only wanted to ride for Girl, Alien, or Plan B and they should “recognize the skills”?
[close]

Quote from: Chrome Ball Incident #35
Expand Quote
So what happened next after the initial Plan B's demise, man? I have to bring up that there’s always been this urban legend involving a letter or press release that you supposedly sent out involving only wanting to skate for a top-tier company like Girl or Alien (as with all urgan legends, details are sketchy). What really happened? Did this letter story actually go down? And if so, what did it say?

At a tradeshow, I gave Sluggo my video in hopes of him forwarding it on to Colin, who had just started riding for Girl. That’s the extent of my pursuing Girl as a sponsor. With Alien, there was a time period when I was skating Rob’s TF here in San Diego and I had given him a video as well. But I never sent some letter out to address any of those actions…

...the rumor is that I sent a letter saying I’d like to ride for a good company? Wow, that's pretty horrible!

So it is false. I gotta admit that I’m not surprised that you debunked this long-held “letter” myth, but I am a little taken aback that you’d never heard of it before. I’ve heard that rumor for well over a decade now. Definitely one with staying power, which is even more remarkable since it is pre-message board era. Nobody ever has ever brought this up to you before or called it to your attention before now?

Surprisingly enough, nobody has.

Wow… So how do you think this rumor came to be? The more I’ve looked into this, it seems that nobody has actually read the letter itself but everyone pulls out the same quote from it everytime: “recognize the skills.”

The “recognize the skills” was something I had said to Dyrdek sarcastically, but I have no idea how it made the transition into a letter format and then taken so literally.
[close]
Thanks for posting this. I wonder what the real deal was then. The dude had amazing skills

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2023, 03:52:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Technically anyone who isn't pro has fumbled their career. Aka all of of slap.
[close]
Not all of us were potential pros to begin with. I think someone had to at least be a sponsored am.

No one has mentioned Brian Emmers, who had a sick part in Plan B Revolution and then disappeared. A friend of mine used to skate with him and said he was way ahead of his time. I can’t remember why he never went anywhere
[close]

Didn’t he write a letter to a bunch of companies saying he only wanted to ride for Girl, Alien, or Plan B and they should “recognize the skills”?
[close]

Quote from: Chrome Ball Incident #35
Expand Quote
So what happened next after the initial Plan B's demise, man? I have to bring up that there’s always been this urban legend involving a letter or press release that you supposedly sent out involving only wanting to skate for a top-tier company like Girl or Alien (as with all urgan legends, details are sketchy). What really happened? Did this letter story actually go down? And if so, what did it say?

At a tradeshow, I gave Sluggo my video in hopes of him forwarding it on to Colin, who had just started riding for Girl. That’s the extent of my pursuing Girl as a sponsor. With Alien, there was a time period when I was skating Rob’s TF here in San Diego and I had given him a video as well. But I never sent some letter out to address any of those actions…

...the rumor is that I sent a letter saying I’d like to ride for a good company? Wow, that's pretty horrible!

So it is false. I gotta admit that I’m not surprised that you debunked this long-held “letter” myth, but I am a little taken aback that you’d never heard of it before. I’ve heard that rumor for well over a decade now. Definitely one with staying power, which is even more remarkable since it is pre-message board era. Nobody ever has ever brought this up to you before or called it to your attention before now?

Surprisingly enough, nobody has.

Wow… So how do you think this rumor came to be? The more I’ve looked into this, it seems that nobody has actually read the letter itself but everyone pulls out the same quote from it everytime: “recognize the skills.”

The “recognize the skills” was something I had said to Dyrdek sarcastically, but I have no idea how it made the transition into a letter format and then taken so literally.
[close]

Fools should have figured out this was a false rumour at “Pro skater wrote a letter”

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2023, 03:58:35 PM »
G8r

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2023, 04:00:27 PM »
Nick Merlino comes to mind
I know he Sw Ollied El Toro but getting the boot from Baker to a career on Foundation seems like a pretty big fumble

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1221
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2023, 04:55:46 PM »
Is this a Mandela effect or am I tripping. I thought it was spelled Trapasso no Trepasso

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 116
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2023, 05:18:25 PM »
Is this a Mandela effect or am I tripping. I thought it was spelled Trapasso no Trepasso
It is spelled Trapasso

CAPTAIN NOBODY

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2023, 07:12:46 PM »
He was on Emerica for about a week

MtnDoucheBag

• Rep: -96
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2023, 07:19:47 PM »

Stay cold.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2023, 07:56:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
He was on emerica for like 3 years
Stay cold.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2023, 07:56:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It is spelled Trapasso
Expand Quote
Dumbfounded that it collectively took until page 3 for one of us to remember/mention Trepasso.
[close]

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2023, 09:58:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Brian Wenning and Jereme Rogers have entered the chat.
[close]

"What's up guys?" - Darrell Stanton
[close]

“Who are you on the phone with?” - Scott Kane
[close]

“Y’all tryna catch my fade?!” - Antwuan Dixon

"Can't wait to post these old boards on my site for $12,000 and get my commissary up so crazy." - Evan Hernandez
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 04:40:16 AM by Kanye Omari West »

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -439
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2023, 08:26:23 AM »
Looking back Staba actually helped him make some OK decisions. SM still had Shane at the time so it was more on the map than mystery IMO, and my theory is that Nike backs SM financially so they were pushing him that way as well. If he had produced he could still be on Nike and maybe have climbed the sponsor ladder to get on April or Primitive

This makes more sense, my theory for SM still being around is that they made a shitload of money of those alien vs predator decks that they’re still using to supplement their sales but the Nike thing makes more sense

countjunkie

• Rep: -3
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2023, 03:33:46 PM »

he also had a short stint on FTP (if you would even consider that a skate company idk) but looks like he doesn’t ride for them anymore either.