Author Topic: Jeremy Wray breaks down his Plan B "Second Hand Smoke" part  (Read 2144 times)

Tom Pearl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
Jeremy Wray breaks down his Plan B "Second Hand Smoke" part
« on: March 24, 2023, 02:55:02 PM »

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
Re: Jeremy Wray breaks down his Plan B "Second Hand Smoke" part
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 03:27:42 PM »

Sturt jumping down Carlsbad while filming Jeremy Wray's opening line is something I really want to see. Hoping they release an edit of those b-sides. This part and his Color part are <3

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 03:51:41 PM »
Jeremy says this was the first part edited to music on beat. He doesn’t say that exactly but I’m paraphrasing.

I don’t know if he is right but I did feel at the time this part had more drive/energy than anything before.

Jeremy was one of my first skate heroes. I always root for him.

OwlGreen

• Rep: -126
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 03:09:57 AM »
How the fuck do they not correct the squashed aspect ratio? You had one job.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 08:38:58 AM »
Dude really likes pointing out how difficult his tricks were and how he was the first to do this or first to skate that, subtle self back patting lol. I thoroughly enjoyed watching that though; he’s always been one of my faves skatingwise.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 09:37:20 AM »
He gets a pass for self congratulation since he is a little overlooked in the “best ever” conversation (which he absolutely belongs in, his early parts stand up better than almost any one else in that era).

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 04:13:14 PM »
He has every right to say whatever.  Literally one of the best to do it. His level of confidence in his abilities is admirable, imo.

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 04:17:01 PM »
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2023, 07:18:57 PM »
that Fakie heel down that double set is and always will be fucking incredible

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2023, 08:27:11 PM »
Beast

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2023, 08:36:43 PM »
He has every right to say whatever.  Literally one of the best to do it. His level of confidence in his abilities is admirable, imo.

Hard agree. He did the water tower Ollie on a chipped board he can definitely say whatever the fuck he wants haha

burner

• Rep: 91
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2023, 02:04:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hard agree. He did the water tower Ollie on a chipped board he can definitely say whatever the fuck he wants haha

Yeah, Jeremy can talk all he wants and Im keen to hear. His oiutput, quality and quantity, was on another level that was really exciting and mindblowing back in the early 90s, and still stands up well now 3 decades later. It’s been said endless times, but it’s cool seeing the huge setup changes from 91 to 93, watching Wray in Recycled  Rubbish, Debbie, then Color - just completely different setups, it’s kinda crazy. And Jeremy had his 411 profile and shared Spitfire part in 93 too. Then SHS in 94 was on another level again. I think he was still just 19, a seasoned pro back in those days. Looking forward to the Plan B reissues too.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 05:52:21 AM »
The flatground heelflip in the second line at Carlsbad high is still my favourite of all time.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2023, 08:16:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, Jeremy can talk all he wants and Im keen to hear. His oiutput, quality and quantity, was on another level that was really exciting and mindblowing back in the early 90s, and still stands up well now 3 decades later. It’s been said endless times, but it’s cool seeing the huge setup changes from 91 to 93, watching Wray in Recycled  Rubbish, Debbie, then Color - just completely different setups, it’s kinda crazy. And Jeremy had his 411 profile and shared Spitfire part in 93 too. Then SHS in 94 was on another level again. I think he was still just 19, a seasoned pro back in those days. Looking forward to the Plan B reissues too.

Dude, he was rocking that front 360 back in those Blockhead videos. No one else was doing them that good except Donger and Gonz. But he owns that shit, does them the best.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 02:12:35 PM by Dark Knight »

Steve Kelly

• Rep: -227
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2023, 05:23:51 PM »
Dude really likes pointing out how difficult his tricks were and how he was the first to do this or first to skate that, subtle self back patting lol. I thoroughly enjoyed watching that though; he’s always been one of my faves skatingwise.

Yeah it’s a bit lame. Obv he’s a legend and can say whatever he wants, but I can guarantee we’re not the only ones to notice, and I’d bet it contributes to his lack of success post skate career. For someone of his caliber to be kind of an outsider at this point. Nobody likes working with a dude like that. Seems like he’s still trying to base his career in skating? Or maybe has another job. Speculation I guess, but I really feel like he’s overlooked because of it.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2023, 05:38:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah it’s a bit lame. Obv he’s a legend and can say whatever he wants, but I can guarantee we’re not the only ones to notice, and I’d bet it contributes to his lack of success post skate career. For someone of his caliber to be kind of an outsider at this point. Nobody likes working with a dude like that. Seems like he’s still trying to base his career in skating? Or maybe has another job. Speculation I guess, but I really feel like he’s overlooked because of it.

JWray will always be one of the legit GOATs, but yeah, claiming you’d shoot another part IF someone put you on their payroll was weird. I’m not even sure that kind of sponsorship exists today for more than a handful of people.

Meanwhile you have dudes like Greco and Duffel dropping multiple parts just because they want to and it makes a lot of other aging pros simply look lazy.

Dick Dastardly

• Rep: 9
  • Muttley!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2023, 08:15:13 PM »
Interesting guy, it did always strike me as strange how removed he seemed to be from the mainstream industry these days (just pushing Wray Bros out of his garage for years). Loved his One Step Betond part when I was a kid
Muttley!!!!

Steve Kelly

• Rep: -227
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2023, 08:42:14 PM »
He was claiming multiple covers a few years back also. Just weird to me that he’d make it public. I’m also guessing the reviews he’s done for the nine club were his askings.

burner

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2023, 07:53:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

JWray will always be one of the legit GOATs, but yeah, claiming you’d shoot another part IF someone put you on their payroll was weird. I’m not even sure that kind of sponsorship exists today for more than a handful of people.

Meanwhile you have dudes like Greco and Duffel dropping multiple parts just because they want to and it makes a lot of other aging pros simply look lazy.

You do realise that Corey is a decade younger than Wray, that’s a surprising comparison. Anyway, I guess Jeremy put family life and his kids first rather than ripping in the streets, embrace that dad life, still married to his girl from way back when he was a teenager doing interviews in TWS. Yeah he’s older, nostalgic, bit goofy, maybe he has some regrets idk, we’re all old now, but still out there rolling around the park with a smile on his face. Nice, I can relate to that.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqPZpzRLFdQ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

burner

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2023, 09:22:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

You do realise that Corey is a decade younger than Wray, that’s a surprising comparison. You do realise that Corey is a decade younger than Wray, that’s a surprising comparison. Anyway, I guess Jeremy put family life and his kids first rather than ripping in the streets, embrace that dad life, still married to his girl from way back when he was a teenager doing interviews in TWS. Yeah he’s older, nostalgic, bit goofy, maybe he has some regrets idk, we’re all old now, but still out there rolling around the park with a smile on his face. Nice, I can relate to that.

[close]
i think it's a fairly apt comparison. yeah, they're a full generation separated but they both pushed high-impact skateboarding to another level during their time as pro skaters and they both faced similar industry setbacks towards the end of their careers (being iced out by their board sponsors, irrelevant shoe sponsors). the main difference is that corey took a hands-on approach to his career, skating at his highest level possible (while overcoming an injury) and eventually found some success with adored while jeremy wray seemingly took a passive approach to skating after 2006 - no one saw him for years afterwards and the line he had in interviews for years (literally, almost a decade) was "i want to make a comeback, i just need a filmer and industry support to start skating at that level again." you're telling me no one he hit up wants to film with him? no one he reached out to was interested in hooking him up? why not? i dunno, something feels off to me - like either there's something about this guy that keeps people at an arm's length, or he really just expected things to fall into place for him without making any moves at all. it's always kinda bugged me about his story. anyways, coffee-fulled rant over

Well we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one. No way if you grew up skating in early 90s you compare Wray to Duffell, completely different era, huge age disparity, just a different world all round. Guess it just hits different depending on skaters that are your age, your era.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:47:23 AM by burner »

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1099
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2023, 09:24:03 AM »
Amazing skateboarder
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

dannyprovolone

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2023, 09:33:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

You do realise that Corey is a decade younger than Wray, that’s a surprising comparison.
[close]
i think it's a fairly apt comparison. yeah, they're a full generation separated but they both pushed high-impact skateboarding to another level during their time as pro skaters and they both faced similar industry setbacks towards the end of their careers (being iced out by their board sponsors, irrelevant shoe sponsors). the main difference is that corey took a hands-on approach to his career, skating at his highest level possible (while overcoming an injury) and eventually found some success with adored while jeremy wray seemingly took a passive approach to skating after 2006 - no one saw him for years afterwards and the line he had in interviews for years (literally, almost a decade) was "i want to make a comeback, i just need a filmer and industry support to start skating at that level again." you're telling me no one he hit up wants to film with him? no one he reached out to was interested in hooking him up? why not? i dunno, something feels off to me - like either there's something about this guy that keeps people at an arm's length, or he really just expected things to fall into place for him without making any moves at all. it's always kinda bugged me about his story. anyways, coffee-fulled rant over

so fried

corey duffle? he was more like an image pro/zero skater with a few big ollies and lipslides

not really anyone was hucking proper flip tricks down double sets pre j wray and that was a decade prior

anyway this video was good he doesnt seem in his head about it at all. simply telling us the history to the tricks which was an important factor at the time they were filmed

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2023, 05:15:17 PM »
Great watch. That footage is almost 30 years old. Dude floated over big shit consistantly before anyone.