Author Topic: Jake Hayes "Dollar Slice" Dickie's Part  (Read 4602 times)

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Jake Hayes "Dollar Slice" Dickie's Part
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2023, 08:57:31 AM »
ok, it was ABD, but he did it without taking the board to the face  ;D

And he did a legit Pupecki grind without it going all flaccid n shit.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2023, 09:33:45 AM »
Someone has gotta stop greenlighting these "cali does nyc" edits

Good thing he's Australian.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 81
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2023, 12:12:07 PM »
That was awesome
Cocteau Twins

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2023, 12:59:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Someone has gotta stop greenlighting these "cali does nyc" edits
[close]

Good thing he's Australian.
[close]
but where does he currently live?

California, lol

I hate to pile on this vid when the whole thread is already doing it but it sucks that when australian skaters come to the USA they often just become so forgettable.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

C Dash Money

• Rep: -10
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2023, 01:25:08 PM »
Australians are just generally boring people. The only thing good they do are reality shows, like Master Chef and Lego Masters Australia - think about it, how many great painters, poets, philosophers, novelists or what have you are Australian?  Not many.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2023, 01:31:08 PM »
But what about Master Chief?
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2023, 01:39:56 PM »
Australians are just generally boring people. The only thing good they do are reality shows, like Master Chef and Lego Masters Australia - think about it, how many great painters, poets, philosophers, novelists or what have you are Australian?  Not many.

The fact you think reality tv shows about lego are good speaks volumes about your post

RoughStylin

• Rep: 35
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2023, 02:05:04 PM »

As someone who works on MasterChef AU, Slap was the last place I expected to be given props for my work.

kook1234

• Rep: 132
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2023, 02:39:08 PM »

I feel this. I hate watch all the AU reality stars who cross over to American series

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 112
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2023, 02:43:00 PM »
Was not expecting this thread to somehow turn into xenophobia towards Australians

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2023, 02:51:14 PM »
This was obviously throwaway/a commercial for dickies. A pro in 2023 shouldn’t be doing a kickflip up a knee high ledge to 5-0 180 another one.

He has gorgeous tre flips and pop shoves.

My grandpa was highly educated/successful and kind of a snob about a lot of things and he always hated visiting  Australia and said it was devoid of culture, but I have had a lot of fun in my time spent there. Different strokes.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

The Mexican Nancy Chin

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2023, 03:00:22 PM »
Like with every country, there are obviously several incredible Australian artists, it is more about the difficulty for the artists to get to work out there and appeal to larger audiences. The artistic mediums you were describing were mainly prevalent in the centuries when people in Australia were either getting heavily socio politically oppressed by England (one of the main powers determining what we consider worldwide culture) or weren't even connected to the rest of the world yet. Australia wasn't even an independent nation until 1901. If you look at the artistic mediums that see the most prevalence nowadays like movies and recorded music there are several large Australian figures. I'm not even Australian, but it is silly to dismiss the art of any country's people
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 03:07:04 PM by Nancy Chin »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2023, 06:15:29 PM »
Watched it with a friend and he called it "Low IQ skateboarding". Wouldn't go that far but I found it pretty boring and lacking any creativity. Only really liked the ender which I've now read is a kinda recent ABD.

Definitely needed more flat ground ollies, ideally in slow motion

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2023, 07:42:52 PM »
The dickies marketing team and bland ass videos aren’t doing this guy any favours.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2023, 08:17:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Like with every country, there are obviously several incredible Australian artists, it is more about the difficulty for the artists to get to work out there and appeal to larger audiences. The artistic mediums you were describing were mainly prevalent in the centuries when people in Australia were either getting heavily socio politically oppressed by England (one of the main powers determining what we consider worldwide culture) or weren't even connected to the rest of the world yet. Australia wasn't even an independent nation until 1901. If you look at the artistic mediums that see the most prevalence nowadays like movies and recorded music there are several large Australian figures. I'm not even Australian, but it is silly to dismiss the art of any country's people

Thank you. Someone with a measured take on things.

switchfakie

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2023, 08:55:20 PM »
dollar slices are a thing of the past

shoulda called it dollar fifty/two dollar slice

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2023, 10:21:03 PM »
This was obviously throwaway/a commercial for dickies. A pro in 2023 shouldn’t be doing a kickflip up a knee high ledge to 5-0 180 another one.

He has gorgeous tre flips and pop shoves.

My grandpa was highly educated/successful and kind of a snob about a lot of things and he always hated visiting  Australia and said it was devoid of culture, but I have had a lot of fun in my time spent there. Different strokes.
Your grandpa was was prob some scared little micro dick cunt. Australia has the oldest culture on the planet.

Lol fuken poets and philosophers and then go on to say you watch bottom level realty tv. You absolute wanker.

Puddy Smally

• Rep: 111
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2023, 11:11:41 PM »
Nick Cave is Australian, and that’s good enough for me.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

The Mexican Nancy Chin

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2023, 01:25:14 AM »
Both him and Archie Roach automatically make Australia a fantastic country for music

dannyprovolone

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2023, 01:55:48 AM »
A pro in 2023 shouldn’t be doing a kickflip up a knee high ledge to 5-0 180 another one.

have you watched any nyc skating the past few years? the standards are even lower than this part for some 'pros'

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2023, 08:22:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Both him and Archie Roach automatically make Australia a fantastic country for music

Let us not forget anout The Chats and Amyl And The Sniffers (or watevah.)

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2023, 08:28:43 AM »
Expand Quote
A pro in 2023 shouldn’t be doing a kickflip up a knee high ledge to 5-0 180 another one.
[close]

have you watched any nyc skating the past few years? the standards are even lower than this part for some 'pros'
lol have you seen my post history? It’s obvious how I feel about east coast (mainly NYC, Boston and Philly are on point) “pros” often not being up to a modern standard.

who da thunk it

• Rep: -79
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2023, 08:36:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
lol have you seen my post history? It’s obvious how I feel about east coast (mainly NYC, Boston and Philly are on point) “pros” often not being up to a modern standard.

You must think very highly of yourself to expect anyone to know anything about your post history, let alone go through it for evidence of you not liking the east coast?????  Either that was a really bad/dumb joke or your ego is humongous!

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2023, 09:26:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

You must think very highly of yourself to expect anyone to know anything about your post history, let alone go through it for evidence of you not liking the east coast?????  Either that was a really bad/dumb joke or your ego is humongous!
lol definitely the former and I don’t dislike the east coast

Lucky_Basek

• Rep: 56
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2023, 02:37:18 AM »

Err, so Jake Hayes' lack of appeal as a skateboarder somehow proves an entire multi-ethnic nation of 30 million people with 54.3% tertiary educated (higher than the US as % of population, and Switzerland and France and Denmark if you are counting...according to OECD and higher than the OECD average of 47%) lacks artistic and intellectual achievement. A frequent reader of Discourse and Society are you? Thesis Eleven? Philosophical Review? Been scouring the author bylines for affiliation and nationality? And thought, wow, not many Australians here! How boring! Like Jake Hayes!
Typical!
Been hitting up the bienale? The local contemporary art gallery and checking off nationalities of artists as you go? Not many Australians here, Hayes!
Keeping an eye on the music press and cross referencing the nationality against genre against notoriety are you? Hang on, there are barely any Australians at this northern Ohio folk fest. Hayes!
Australia is in the southern hemisphere. Asia is the neighborhood. Not every one wants the approval of the northern hemisphere. Not everything travels that far. Most things don't have to. You might not also look very hard.
But then again Jake Hayes did travel...and his Dickies part was boring, prejudice justified.

newMe

• Rep: 16
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2023, 02:58:08 AM »
I absolutely love Australian skateboarding, Geoff Campbell has made some of the best skate videos ever IMO, and PassPort is one of the best companies right now. I think this edit has nothing to do with Jake Hayes being Australian. Just watch the old Green Diamond vids to see Callum Paul, Bryce Golder and others ripping in NYC in a new, creative way.

I think this has entirely to do with a skater who lives in California (watches mostly California videos, skates mostly in LA) coming to the East Coast (New York City in this case) and having no idea what's already been done there, as he or she is not well-versed in NYC videos/skating. So the Australian hate is uncalled for.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2023, 07:24:19 AM »
I absolutely love Australian skateboarding, Geoff Campbell has made some of the best skate videos ever IMO, and PassPort is one of the best companies right now. I think this edit has nothing to do with Jake Hayes being Australian. Just watch the old Green Diamond vids to see Callum Paul, Bryce Golder and others ripping in NYC in a new, creative way.

I think this has entirely to do with a skater who lives in California (watches mostly California videos, skates mostly in LA) coming to the East Coast (New York City in this case) and having no idea what's already been done there, as he or she is not well-versed in NYC videos/skating. So the Australian hate is uncalled for.

I think you're right. I wasn't trying to start any Australian hate btw. I've just noticed that there have been several Australian skaters who I thought were very interesting when they were in Australia, yet when they come to the USA they seem to lose their charm. Jack fardell is another one like this. I just remember both of these guys being way sicker when they were in Australia but maybe it was just the naivety of being young.

lurkluke

• Rep: 165
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2023, 04:17:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Err, so Jake Hayes' lack of appeal as a skateboarder somehow proves an entire multi-ethnic nation of 30 million people with 54.3% tertiary educated (higher than the US as % of population, and Switzerland and France and Denmark if you are counting...according to OECD and higher than the OECD average of 47%) lacks artistic and intellectual achievement. A frequent reader of Discourse and Society are you? Thesis Eleven? Philosophical Review? Been scouring the author bylines for affiliation and nationality? And thought, wow, not many Australians here! How boring! Like Jake Hayes!
Typical!
Been hitting up the bienale? The local contemporary art gallery and checking off nationalities of artists as you go? Not many Australians here, Hayes!
Keeping an eye on the music press and cross referencing the nationality against genre against notoriety are you? Hang on, there are barely any Australians at this northern Ohio folk fest. Hayes!
Australia is in the southern hemisphere. Asia is the neighborhood. Not every one wants the approval of the northern hemisphere. Not everything travels that far. Most things don't have to. You might not also look very hard.
But then again Jake Hayes did travel...and his Dickies part was boring, prejudice justified.

tbf the year I went to the Biennale the Australian entry was one of the weaker by a long way. Didn't reflect well on the quality of contemporary art in Australia. Maybe he was there too and saw what we saw?

The German drug/jack off performance piece was the most compelling that year.

lurkluke

• Rep: 165
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2023, 04:15:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Typical!

tbf the year I went to the Biennale the Australian entry was one of the weaker by a long way. Didn't reflect well on the quality of contemporary art in Australia. Maybe he was there too and saw what we saw?

The German drug/jack off performance piece was the most compelling that year.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2023, 06:32:15 PM »
australian art is sick didn't you guys see those plan b decks