Author Topic: Crosstraining for skateboarding  (Read 976 times)

Anime_skank

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Crosstraining for skateboarding
« on: March 20, 2023, 10:08:49 AM »
Took up rollerblading after getting inspired from watching the them skates x WKND collab, and its had a huge impact on my skating. It kinda took all my attention for a bit and I wasn't skating for like a month, but when I did start skateboarding again I noticed a huge difference in my board control and awareness while spinning. I landed my first big spin on my first session back which is a trick I've always struggled with especially when it comes to spinning my body. I know more mainstream sports utilize things like crosstraining and I've experienced something similar from weight lifting but never at a level like this. I was just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
Re: Crosstraining for skateboarding
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 06:25:25 PM »
I play a lot of chess on my phone.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -453
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 07:05:30 PM »
sometimes I smoke a bunch of weed and masturbate

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 162
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 08:54:44 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences?

Nope. Not a single person

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 03:37:14 AM »
Sounds like the bladin’ lifestyle is alive and well.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 04:15:30 AM »
Ive just started weight lifting to build up my body, had poor posture,back & knee pain on and off. Idk much about crossfit except that it looks intense. Heard its not as effective for building muscle as reg weight lifting but probably great for endurance and speed!

Im going to add some plymetric traning instead to help my skating, like get better pop and mobility. Check out skate athletics on youtube, there are more channels or vids on it but you have to dig a little to find the skate specific ones

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 07:26:27 AM »
So what you're saying is, the hatred for rollerblading which was instilled by the industry was actually a way to ensure kids wouldn't start rollerblading and potentially get better at skating as a result, since that would threaten the jobs of then-current pros and oversaturate the talent pool, causing mass confusion and hysteria.

CONSPIRACY.

I jump rope, do box jumps, and yoga mainly as crosstraining activities. I also curl, but that's not really crosstraining per se. I forgot to say, I've been skating ramps better than I ever have this winter, so I guess they've been helping.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 07:45:36 AM by Madam, I'm Adam »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 08:15:47 AM »
Cross training like skipping, box jumps, calisthenics, squats - yes, definitely

Cross fit training where you're encouraged to writhe up the bar like a snake getting electrocuted - no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEe-loVKOOM&ab_channel=Calisthenicmovement
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 06:21:12 PM »

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

• Rep: -173
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 09:26:27 AM »
I understand what you are saying, but rollerblading not required.

Things I think are effective for cross training (effective for me means using it to help with trying to have somewhat balanced muscles even though I rarely skate switch, increasing jumping ability, increasing stamina):

- Hiking/rockclimbing-- helps balance, strength, conditioning.  Healthy to be outside.

- "skater yoga"/wheel and foam roller and Matt stuff- helps with strength and flexibility + recovery

- Pull-ups and burpees-- helps with strength--bert slides and falling are key.

- Push ups including on fingers, sides of hands, etc.-- increases strength and bone toughness for falls (maybe)- helpful for Bert slides.

- Biking (for me, this means a 26 inch bmx bike-- others prefer road bikes, fixed gear or mountain bike-- I shouldn't have to explain bikes to anyone.  I like doing dirt trails, mild downhill.  I find after I bike a fair amount I both shed a bit of fat which helps for skating and get my jumping strength up as jumping with the bike is both easier than on a board of course (just chucking off dirt jumps) but also works the muscles-- both legs and pulling the heavy bike up

-Snowboarding

- Sports wise- As a kid I was keen on basketball as most applicable to skating cross training-- now I stay away as tend to get similar ankle injuries in basketball as skating.  Floor hockey has similar explosive nature for training purposes (or if you want to keep blading, some roller hockey)

- For those that can-- skim boarding, surfing, swimming, body boarding - shouldn't have to explain why these are good for strength, balance, stamina.

As others noted, this is a well known thing, and of course just walking, lifting, whatever would help, but this is what I think as an older guy helps me get into skate shape.  I should probably add some jump rope and more cardio/stretching, but oh well.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2023, 08:25:33 AM »
This must be why Dashawn Jordan is so good at skating and laser flips. Hmmh.. checks out.

I've had a few sessions after a leg day that I've felt amazing on the board. Then I've had some where my legs where shot. I've started running/ jogging and can see and feel the new muscle growth in my lower legs. Hoping to see what all good it brings.

mfweeno

• Rep: 27
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2023, 09:24:35 AM »
Anyone else a fan of balance boards? If so, do you notice any carryover to skating?
My SO got me this for my birthday a year ago - it's an "Ebb & Flo" board by this company Goofboard.

https://youtu.be/IiWDJMFG8Hk

It's a pretty neat balance board since most models I have seen balance on the "x" axis of the board, but the default set up for the "Ebb & Flo" is on the board's "y" axis.

Obviously the product is marketed to surfers, but I have found some interesting ways to train noseslide/tailslide balance by setting up similarly to how the rider transitions at the 0:32 mark in the video. I've definitely felt more comfortable overall on my board since using this regularly.

Besides this, general strength and conditioning stuff can be very helpful for improving your "base" and exposing your muscles/joints to a more full range of movement. You don't need to go super crazy in the gym to develop a good base of strength, coordination, and force output/explosiveness, so just find some full-body movements you like and do some isolation work for any weak areas you want to improve.

Regular walking/non-exercise activity can also improve how you are feeling on and off the board too. I try to walk daily (at least half an hour on my lunch breaks) and run when I'm not feeling too beat up from skating. Even just the walking has seemed to improve my lung capacity and help me maintain lines at the park without gassing out so fast.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2023, 06:01:04 PM »
Started going to the gym more seriously last year.
Got back into it this year, and I do weight training and bike riding for cardio. I do deadlifts, squats, and some ab stuff.

When I’m not sore I can skate for longer and I have less knee and back pain.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2023, 04:39:31 PM »
Anyone else a fan of balance boards? If so, do you notice any carryover to skating?
My SO got me this for my birthday a year ago - it's an "Ebb & Flo" board by this company Goofboard.

https://youtu.be/IiWDJMFG8Hk

Dude I’d end up cracking my skull on something if I tried that balance board.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2023, 02:15:17 AM »
sometimes I smoke a bunch of weed and masturbate
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
  • sup dog
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2023, 06:41:11 AM »
Planks. Strong core will save your back.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2023, 07:46:48 AM »
I train happy but each to their own

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2023, 10:23:17 AM »
Seems like it goes without saying, and everyone thinks they hydrate enough but likely don't. One of the biggest changes I've seen for myself physically has come from dedicating myself to drinking a gallon of water a day. My body just overall feels way closer to 100% most of the time. Less sore, more limber, joints feel better. Can't recommend it enough. I think I was prob drinking half that before which is decent, but doubling it is so worth it. I bought a cute water bottle that held half a gallon basically and I carry it everywhere now. Whenever I think of it I drink. It gives me more energy too so working out happens more and I skate a little longer too.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

signtime

• Rep: 1
  • Big Mountain Snowskating!
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2023, 08:45:30 PM »
If you live near a mountain, bideck snowskating.

You can just go so huge. Progression is the same pace as snowboarding, and the average expert can easily go so much bigger than anyone alive or dead has ever gone on wheels. Acting out your skate fantasies on skateparks the size of mountains, over and over, lift serviced all day. Don't even get me started on whats possible in terrain parks...

When spring rolls around and you get back on wheels, you're fkn ripped and warm, and the tricks you couldn't do before come effortlessly cuz you did them so many times on the snow.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2023, 11:58:02 PM »
My mind jumped to Joey O'Brien's brother Mikey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJeFWhwOgbQ

dudes family is insane

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2023, 08:50:03 AM »
If you live near a mountain, bideck snowskating.

You can just go so huge. Progression is the same pace as snowboarding, and the average expert can easily go so much bigger than anyone alive or dead has ever gone on wheels. Acting out your skate fantasies on skateparks the size of mountains, over and over, lift serviced all day. Don't even get me started on whats possible in terrain parks...

When spring rolls around and you get back on wheels, you're fkn ripped and warm, and the tricks you couldn't do before come effortlessly cuz you did them so many times on the snow.

I love bideck snowskating, but I’ve never seen anyone really get close to mega ramp levels of air. The good guys I know get smalls and mediums. I’ve only ever seen 2 or 3 dudes that have attempted large park jumps. And the airs don’t look nearly as good as skate airs
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

roll_dog

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2023, 09:15:02 AM »
I would definitely recommend yoga if it's not too obvious. Seems to provide some strength training that is similar to what you use in skateboarding, as well as improving balance and flexibility.