Author Topic: List of vulcanized and cupsole shoes?  (Read 864 times)

SlapMcKracken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
List of vulcanized and cupsole shoes?
« on: March 27, 2023, 11:11:40 PM »
Is there something like this?

How do I know which shoes are vulc or cup’s?

I really want to find out what works better for me or if it’s more individual than vulc or cup.

Recently tried skating new non skate one stars and gave up on the second day. They are so stiff and I just can’t skate in them. Don’t even know if they are cuosoles.

I think I just need flexible shoes.
Shoes like non skate campus or puma suedes. Always worked perfect for me.
Also non skate Gazelle.
Blazers too.
Superstars after broken in too but tough the first days.
Cons Lopez worked good after few days too.

Are those all vulc shoes?
Do you feel skate shoes are worth it vs. The non skate versions, like campus/ gazelle / superstars?

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
Re: List of vulcanized and cupsole shoes?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 12:08:31 AM »

Every time I tried to skate with non-skate shoes it was a disaster, but there's plenty of people here skating pumas, asiscs or Jordans.

If you're looking for something that has a good boardfeel with cupsole construction go for the Vans Crockett (High or Low), the wafflecup construction it's a good combo.

HeavyLow

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 12:09:30 AM »

I really want to find out what works better for me or if it’s more individual than vulc or cup.

Recently tried skating new non skate one stars and gave up on the second day. They are so stiff and I just can’t skate in them. Don’t even know if they are cuosoles.

Also non skate Gazelle.
Blazers too.

Do you feel skate shoes are worth it vs. The non skate versions, like campus/ gazelle / superstars?

Of all the shoes you listed I think the only cupsole in there is the superstars.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 12:35:23 AM »

Every time I tried to skate with non-skate shoes it was a disaster, but there's plenty of people here skating pumas, asiscs or Jordans.

If you're looking for something that has a good boardfeel with cupsole construction go for the Vans Crockett (High or Low), the wafflecup construction it's a good combo.
Why do you think non skate shoes don’t work for you?
What’s the real difference between for example a campus skate Vs non skate?

Expand Quote

Also non skate Gazelle.
Blazers too.

[close]

Of all the shoes you listed I think the only cupsole in there is the superstars.

Interesting. Superstars were crap first, then I loved them.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 12:50:52 AM »
I'm going to say it seriously does not matter. People have made way too much out of the whole vulc vs cup thing these days for 95% of shoes you couldn't really tell the difference. Vulcs can have crated or padded midsoles and cups could have nothing inside and have a vulc like foxing wrap around.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 66
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 05:22:24 AM »
Go to Tactics. You can filter the shoes by construction.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 758
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 05:38:35 AM »
Expand Quote

Also non skate Gazelle.
Blazers too.

[close]

campus and suedes are cupsoles too
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Shredroe

• Rep: -3
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 05:41:11 AM »

Agree the Crocket is a good best of both worlds shoe also Vans Wavee skates nice, with a good combo of board feel and comfort.

Deadringer

• Rep: 12
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 06:02:09 AM »
Get a pair of 440's and be done with it ;)

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 06:57:03 AM »
they both have advantages and disadvantages
in general;
Cupsole protects your feet better from impacts / primos.
Vulcanized has better board feel imo.

Because skating was a lot about jumping off stuff for a long time, everyone wore cupsoles for ages. then skating got more technical and people liked the board feel of vulcanized shoes so more companies started doing them.

also there are thinner cupsoles now, and thicker vulcanized models, so you can get "best of both worlds" or more "in between shoes" as other have mentioned like the Vans or NB# cupsoles.

Spencer hamilton's Supra shoe was a really thin cupsole that had cushion/padding in it i believe (never got to try it but just heard it described). Cupsoles can feel very hard on your toes so the cushioning was to help protect them. sounded like an amazing idea.

from what I have read on here, Vulcanizing is actually a very hazardous process and there is no way we could ever ethically vulcanize shoes outside of countries like vietnam and cambodia that have basically no pollution laws. if we did do it here it would cost much much more because we have laws to tax this kind of pollution. If producing cupsoles is more ethical, then its possible we will go back to those in the future if vulcanizing becomes banned at some point.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 07:41:01 AM »
Yeah let's list every shoe just to be safe.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 08:21:27 AM »
How about these jawns? Vulc or cupsole? Anybody skate them yet?

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2023, 08:23:18 AM »
I'm going to say it seriously does not matter. People have made way too much out of the whole vulc vs cup thing these days for 95% of shoes you couldn't really tell the difference. Vulcs can have crated or padded midsoles and cups could have nothing inside and have a vulc like foxing wrap around.

This. Models vary too much to just simply say vulc or cup is the go to. I’m old (39), and will say I avoided vulcs for the last few years because they are thinner, or at least that’s what you’re told. I was skating Emerica G6 cupsoles, as well as nb# 1010s, and now I’m currently skating nb# 306s. So I went from the thickest cupsoles to a pretty straightforward vulcanized sole, and I have great love for both.

You can get used to whatever. I’ll swap back to cups eventually, but right now I’m enjoying vulcs. I’ve got several pauses of shoes with either sole, and eventually I’ll get through them all.

I’ve had cupsoles that are thinner and crappier feeling than the vulcs I’m currently skating. These tend to feel good for quite awhile, then they get worn down and kind of thin, which is coincidentally the same time that the suede and rubber underlay pretty well die also. Try on a bunch of shoes if you can, and then skate the ones you’re most stoked on.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1923
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2023, 08:43:20 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGSo6tX8_eM

Best explanation of the differences, but don't get caught up in the weeds with the technicalities, 99% of us aren't pros with hyper specific requirements. Both have their pros and cons, give yourself a few sessions to adapt and like Ben says "don't be a baby".

I've stuck with cups for over a year after wearing DC Kalis Vulcs for 2 year prior, the thicker soles take impact better and are more durable, so I can afford to Shoe Goo them for longer until the soles develop holes.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2023, 12:11:17 PM »
How about these jawns? Vulc or cupsole? Anybody skate them yet?

Mike Mo flips work like magic with them.

I seriously think in the future I just won’t give a damn if a shoe is cup or vulc. Sone shoes just work and some don’t

DERBY

• Rep: 249
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2023, 03:22:01 PM »
remember that nakel thread where there was a debate on whether some shoe was vulc or cup?