Author Topic: If you hate the new 'OG' accels buy a half size up  (Read 1398 times)

pinche gringo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: If you hate the new 'OG' accels buy a half size up
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2023, 11:49:32 AM »
I bought a pair of Accel slims the other day. I haven’t skated them yet, aside from doing a couple tricks on the carpet to get an idea of what the grip/slide feels like. I had a pair in the late 90’s that I don’t remember liking at all, but these feel great on my feet. Especially, after wearing Vans almost exclusively for the last 20 some odd years.

eSK3

Re: If you hate the new 'OG' accels buy a half size up
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2023, 12:11:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I still think it'd better if the old shape would come back but obviously, tooling and what-not is not that simple to sort.
[close]

So these technically aren't OG, right? I am convinced that I stopped buying accels back in the day because they changed to look like this but have nothing to back it up. I feel like there was a previous version that somehow looked better. So long ago now though I really cannot remember. I have a vague memory of buying a pair and them looking and feeling way off from what I used to
[close]

I wasn't here for any of it but I'd assumed that they changed the design in 2014 when they started making shoes again.
[close]
This isn't a complete history, but I think there's 3 main revisions besides pair-to-pair differences in manufacturing.
The first ones, which we're constructed like most of the 90's shoes and looked like payless shoes.
The Menikmati era shape, the one that everyone thinks of.
I think they changed it again in 2004-2008 to the current shape to be more of a "mall shoe". Think Osiris Bronx.
Now we've been stuck with the mall version since and every so often somebody asks about the "good shape" and why the current version feels kinda shitty and fat.
The way the shoe fit and looked with pants was at it's height during Menikmati, I don't see how Kelly has let the OG stay as the mall version for so long.
[close]

As an aside, I asked DB if they still had all the old molds / specs and if anything was stopping them from manufacturing them and he said no, they've still got all of it and nothing legally would stop them. So after getting that response I'm baffled by their shoe output in general the last couple years. Weird choices, weird color ways, whack new models and ignoring what made them successful... Make it make sense.

Edit: thanks for the history lesson, love that type of stuff from ppl who were there!
[close]

They're prolly gonna get the GENIUS idea to drop some accels with the menikmati-era shape and charge a premium for them. $20 extra for the accel og og

If Nike can do it…
Make a better quality more OG shoe and charge a bit more. The people who really want it will buy it. Everyone wins.