Author Topic: If you hate the new 'OG' accels buy a half size up  (Read 1374 times)

sle_epy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -82
If you hate the new 'OG' accels buy a half size up
« on: March 21, 2023, 10:37:02 PM »
After months of skating the stubby toed version in an 8.5, I had an epiphany. If you go a half size up the toe essentially becomes the same length as the real accel. For me, a half size up is a 9 and holy shit it's the best shoe I've ever skated. Flip tricks feel effortless.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

DanRar009

• Rep: 38
Re: If you hate the new 'OG' accels buy a half size up
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 01:36:14 AM »
After months of skating the stubby toed version in an 8.5, I had an epiphany. If you go a half size up the toe essentially becomes the same length as the real accel. For me, a half size up is a 9 and holy shit it's the best shoe I've ever skated. Flip tricks feel effortless.

My issue with the og accel is that they feel and look way more massive than earlier renditions of them. I remember skating accels in 2004-2005 and looking back they didn’t seem nearly as big as the og accel we get now

sle_epy

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 05:55:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My issue with the og accel is that they feel and look way more massive than earlier renditions of them. I remember skating accels in 2004-2005 and looking back they didn’t seem nearly as big as the og accel we get now

Definitely true, I actually carve out a little bit of the foam around the collar because it's wildly overpadded. Shouldn't have to mess w shoes so much but they feel pretty perfect now. I tried a bunch of other shoes in the interim but there's just something about them. What's weird is the CCS website has a different stock photo than the es website and it looks like the older version.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 06:54:56 AM »
didnt mind the sizing. I am an OG Accell, Accell +, and Accelerate wearer as well. I noticed straight away the tongue was way too puffy. the shoes seem a little stiffer than they used to as well and also a tiny bit wider. walls feel a bit harder.

cons:
it felt extra painful when my toes bashed into the walls on these shoes compared to NB# 306 or Adidas Tyshawn
Felt like when i switched back to my vulc shoes, it took me 2 seconds to get used to them again. but always took like 10 minutes to get used to doing flip tricks or even just ollies on accells. felt like i got air feet a lot because my feet felt so disconnected from the board because the soles are so thick. felt a bit hot in the summer time too.

pros:
lasted longer than all those shoes by a long shot, i could still skate them even i just got sick of wearing them. price for those shoes is like $110>$130 and I got these Accell on sale for $60 (i think they are normally around $90, still much cheaper)
when you land primo you dont feel a thing
love the way they look, i think they acutally look better than the old ones. got more compliments on those shoes than any other.
The insoles on these shoes are great too, i think they imrpoved on the original ones somewhat but no idea.
ONTARIO CANADA

sle_epy

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 06:59:41 AM »
didnt mind the sizing. I am an OG Accell, Accell +, and Accelerate wearer as well. I noticed straight away the tongue was way too puffy. the shoes seem a little stiffer than they used to as well and also a tiny bit wider. walls feel a bit harder.

cons:
it felt extra painful when my toes bashed into the walls on these shoes compared to NB# 306 or Adidas Tyshawn
Felt like when i switched back to my vulc shoes, it took me 2 seconds to get used to them again. but always took like 10 minutes to get used to doing flip tricks or even just ollies on accells. felt like i got air feet a lot because my feet felt so disconnected from the board because the soles are so thick. felt a bit hot in the summer time too.

pros:
lasted longer than all those shoes by a long shot, i could still skate them even i just got sick of wearing them. price for those shoes is like $110>$130 and I got these Accell on sale for $60 (i think they are normally around $90, still much cheaper)
when you land primo you dont feel a thing
love the way they look, i think they acutally look better than the old ones. got more compliments on those shoes than any other.
The insoles on these shoes are great too, i think they imrpoved on the original ones somewhat but no idea.

Nice summation. I just went back from vulcs and my feet feel way better, flicks are easier too. I've also never gotten more love for the shoes I was wearing. Even from the kiddos.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 116
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 08:03:09 AM »
While I hard disagree on going up a half size thing. Any time someone brings up the Accel OG I have to pop in and say they are still absolutely amazing shoes to skate. Regardless of them being a little bloated they skate great and are absolute tanks that last forever.  Plus I've never gotten more compliments on my shoes than the banana colored ones I've been rocking the last 6 months. And it's always the youngins who ask about what they are.

sle_epy

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 09:01:19 AM »
While I hard disagree on going up a half size thing. Any time someone brings up the Accel OG I have to pop in and say they are still absolutely amazing shoes to skate. Regardless of them being a little bloated they skate great and are absolute tanks that last forever.  Plus I've never gotten more compliments on my shoes than the banana colored ones I've been rocking the last 6 months. And it's always the youngins who ask about what they are.

The reason I say go up half a size is because I literally cut out 2/3 of the padding from the Achilles collar and it just made the flick more responsive because it created a little more length, and it increased my foots range of motion in them.

Obv this is anecdotal and prob sounds like extreme shoe madness. Which is mostly true. I'm not sure why but when I started wearing vans my style suffered. They just don't feel as cool and literally everyone wears them.

I also went and tried on an actual 9 as well and it fit the same despite being a half size bigger than I've ever worn in any shoe. 8.5 was comfy but something about the 9 made smthng mechanically click. And yea, I've had lots of kids ask and then show up a while later in them.

One ended up doing really cool custom color ways with the cream suede ones, adding tags and reselling so the accel lives on with the next generation.

I feel like ppl always make excuses for why they don't like it but if they wore them for a week and got used to them they'd get it. You don't need board feel in them like a vulc, and there are other benefits as well you don't see in vulcs or most other cupsoles.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 09:26:33 AM »
they're fucking tanks tho, just put a lil super glue on the stitching n they last a long time. only downside is they look goofy as fuck if you have super baggy pants on

sle_epy

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 09:28:24 AM »
they're fucking tanks tho, just put a lil super glue on the stitching n they last a long time. only downside is they look goofy as fuck if you have super baggy pants on

Hardest disagree ever on the pants. The bigger up to a point, the cooler they look. They look ridiculous with skinny jeans or anything remotely tight. The DC guys take the bagginess a little far but they still look cooler than most IMHO.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 09:42:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hardest disagree ever on the pants. The bigger up to a point, the cooler they look. They look ridiculous with skinny jeans or anything remotely tight. The DC guys take the bagginess a little far but they still look cooler than most IMHO.

lol i meant to put they look goofy unless u have baggy pants on, my bad

sle_epy

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 09:52:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

lol i meant to put they look goofy unless u have baggy pants on, my bad

Ha no worries. I was honestly wondering if it was a typo 🤝

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 10:14:28 AM »
PJ Ladd WHL was the defining moment when I knew I had to have Black T Shirt, Baggy Dark Denim, and Black Accells. what a time to be alive <3
ONTARIO CANADA

sle_epy

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 10:25:58 AM »
PJ Ladd WHL was the defining moment when I knew I had to have Black T Shirt, Baggy Dark Denim, and Black Accells. what a time to be alive <3

Basically what I run and variations with hoodies but always black and darkish denim. PJ in WHL had a similar affect on me, as did Tom Penny's style of dressing. Still repping billed beanies too.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2023, 03:02:22 AM »
Anyone had the new tom penny 2s with the accells sole?

As far as personal experience with accells I remember them being huge even in the early 00s. Tried on a pair and looked in the mirror and it looked like the tongues were built in shin pads. The collar also felt like it was higher and thicker than halfcabs, which were chunked out at the time)
Tried on a pair a couple years ago and same thing. I really think they just work for some but not for others (at least visually)

sle_epy

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2023, 03:08:42 AM »
Anyone had the new tom penny 2s with the accells sole?

As far as personal experience with accells I remember them being huge even in the early 00s. Tried on a pair and looked in the mirror and it looked like the tongues were built in shin pads. The collar also felt like it was higher and thicker than halfcabs, which were chunked out at the time)
Tried on a pair a couple years ago and same thing. I really think they just work for some but not for others (at least visually)

Love the puffy shoe era obviously, and desperately wanted the TP2 but I tried them on and they literally feel like timberlands. Which was prob the point somehow but they felt super heavy. If they made them a touch less bulky it'd be nice. Or maybe make a low to go with the mid or whatever it is rn.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2023, 04:19:09 AM »
I still think it'd better if the old shape would come back but obviously, tooling and what-not is not that simple to sort.

Still, I do love how these skate and they often last so long for me I end up actually being sick of them in the end haha or, the grip just becomes too slippery yet the uppers are still chugging along. I echo the statement about glueing the stitching to make them last them longer.

I get the fake suede ones whenever they drop in the UK and they too, last a long time.

To be honest if you're buying them and expecting them to be 'broken in' and have the best board feel straight away then a chunky cupsole isn't your shoe or you never grew up in late 90s/early 00s to experience nearly every shoe being like that for a solid fortnight haha.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

sle_epy

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2023, 05:02:44 AM »
I still think it'd better if the old shape would come back but obviously, tooling and what-not is not that simple to sort.

Still, I do love how these skate and they often last so long for me I end up actually being sick of them in the end haha or, the grip just becomes too slippery yet the uppers are still chugging along. I echo the statement about glueing the stitching to make them last them longer.

I get the fake suede ones whenever they drop in the UK and they too, last a long time.

To be honest if you're buying them and expecting them to be 'broken in' and have the best board feel straight away then a chunky cupsole isn't your shoe or you never grew up in late 90s/early 00s to experience nearly every shoe being like that for a solid fortnight haha.

I didn't skate back then but I'm intrigued concerning the original shape. I've skated the slim which has a similar toe length to the original and liked them. I'd prob skate them if they didn't fall apart so fast. Has anyone tried the reverse stitch at all? I don't like the look but curious if it makes a difference.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2023, 06:30:52 AM »
yeah exactly it was like once the nostalgia wore off, i realized that skate shoes had updated for a reason and thats why these were left behind. they do work and they do last though, i guess im just not surprised that they arent nearly as popular now as they were back then.
ONTARIO CANADA

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2023, 09:43:26 AM »
I’m skating the stylus mid right now it’s a decent cup, but the insole is lacking,  hurts my feet for sure, I think I’ll prolly just get the accel slim mid next time, I dig the updated accel, not really feeling the OG, I had the old ones and they definitely do seem a bit more puffy than I remember, I mainly wore the “action leather” models, maybe those were slightly thinner
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

sle_epy

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2023, 09:55:32 AM »
I’m skating the stylus mid right now it’s a decent cup, but the insole is lacking,  hurts my feet for sure, I think I’ll prolly just get the accel slim mid next time, I dig the updated accel, not really feeling the OG, I had the old ones and they definitely do seem a bit more puffy than I remember, I mainly wore the “action leather” models, maybe those were slightly thinner

I'm skating the current action leather model from a drop or two ago. I think they are slightly thinner due to the material being less malleable than normal suede. Super solid shoe, imo the action leather is superior to suede out of the box, and after having skated for a minute. Best of both worlds. Leather look with a suede flick...

Suangi

• Rep: 9
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2023, 01:44:18 PM »

So these technically aren't OG, right? I am convinced that I stopped buying accels back in the day because they changed to look like this but have nothing to back it up. I feel like there was a previous version that somehow looked better. So long ago now though I really cannot remember. I have a vague memory of buying a pair and them looking and feeling way off from what I used to

sle_epy

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2023, 01:58:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So these technically aren't OG, right? I am convinced that I stopped buying accels back in the day because they changed to look like this but have nothing to back it up. I feel like there was a previous version that somehow looked better. So long ago now though I really cannot remember. I have a vague memory of buying a pair and them looking and feeling way off from what I used to

I wasn't here for any of it but I'd assumed that they changed the design in 2014 when they started making shoes again.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2023, 04:25:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I wasn't here for any of it but I'd assumed that they changed the design in 2014 when they started making shoes again.
This isn't a complete history, but I think there's 3 main revisions besides pair-to-pair differences in manufacturing.
The first ones, which we're constructed like most of the 90's shoes and looked like payless shoes.
The Menikmati era shape, the one that everyone thinks of.
I think they changed it again in 2004-2008 to the current shape to be more of a "mall shoe". Think Osiris Bronx.
Now we've been stuck with the mall version since and every so often somebody asks about the "good shape" and why the current version feels kinda shitty and fat.
The way the shoe fit and looked with pants was at it's height during Menikmati, I don't see how Kelly has let the OG stay as the mall version for so long. 

sle_epy

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2023, 05:26:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
This isn't a complete history, but I think there's 3 main revisions besides pair-to-pair differences in manufacturing.
The first ones, which we're constructed like most of the 90's shoes and looked like payless shoes.
I think they changed it again in 2004-2008 to the current shape to be more of a "mall shoe". Think Osiris Bronx.
Now we've been stuck with the mall version since and every so often somebody asks about the "good shape" and why the current version feels kinda shitty and fat.
The way the shoe fit and looked with pants was at it's height during Menikmati, I don't see how Kelly has let the OG stay as the mall version for so long.

As an aside, I asked DB if they still had all the old molds / specs and if anything was stopping them from manufacturing them and he said no, they've still got all of it and nothing legally would stop them. So after getting that response I'm baffled by their shoe output in general the last couple years. Weird choices, weird color ways, whack new models and ignoring what made them successful... Make it make sense.

Edit: thanks for the history lesson, love that type of stuff from ppl who were there!

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2023, 05:28:26 PM »
I ended up donating mine to my local cause the puff is overboard (KSL G6 are the sweet spot) but OP is definitely speaking the truth. These have so much padding at the heel it pushes your foot forward and requires a half size larger, I know because I had to exchange when I'm normally 10.5 in any shoe that fits tts.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2023, 05:53:17 PM »
i wasted my money and bought like 5 pairs of accel ogs that im never gonna wear.

sle_epy

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2023, 05:54:20 PM »
i wasted my money and bought like 5 pairs of accel ogs that im never gonna wear.

What size? Thought I was in the same boat til I figured out how to cut out the back of it

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2023, 10:43:42 PM »
the padding on the heel flattens out/loose puffiness over time..well, on my pair..

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2023, 07:26:55 AM »

yeah Slims make way more sense. they are just way more of a current shoe technology wise. I think WAde and Tom Asta both wear them so they must be one of the better shoes in the line. I think the EOS is the other one i see decently in rotation (i think thats the one P Rod is known for weraing on In Bloom right?)
ONTARIO CANADA

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2023, 07:57:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

As an aside, I asked DB if they still had all the old molds / specs and if anything was stopping them from manufacturing them and he said no, they've still got all of it and nothing legally would stop them. So after getting that response I'm baffled by their shoe output in general the last couple years. Weird choices, weird color ways, whack new models and ignoring what made them successful... Make it make sense.

Edit: thanks for the history lesson, love that type of stuff from ppl who were there!

They're prolly gonna get the GENIUS idea to drop some accels with the menikmati-era shape and charge a premium for them. $20 extra for the accel og og