Author Topic: Glen Friedman Nine Club  (Read 2671 times)

OldieButFrenchie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
Glen Friedman Nine Club
« on: March 22, 2023, 03:23:28 AM »

Just started watching and it's super promising with him roasting the BPSW era.... ;D
Dude is in my personal hall of fame with his documenting of skating/hardcore/80's hip hop so I'm real stoked they got him on the show. should be a real good one.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
Re: Glen Friedman Nine Club
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 07:41:30 AM »
Lots being said about this, over here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=109551.0

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -101
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 07:50:52 AM »

Just started watching and it's super promising with him roasting the BPSW era.... ;D
Dude is in my personal hall of fame with his documenting of skating/hardcore/80's hip hop so I'm real stoked they got him on the show. should be a real good one.
I love him too and his contributions are undeniable.  And refreshing to hear someone who clearly does not give a fuck.
 That said, he clearly is from another era where skating and the culture surrounding it was heavily "gatekept" and I think a lot of Slap is going to have a problem with that.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 08:02:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I love him too and his contributions are undeniable.  And refreshing to hear someone who clearly does not give a fuck.
 That said, he clearly is from another era where skating and the culture surrounding it was heavily "gatekept" and I think a lot of Slap is going to have a problem with that.

Someone on Instagram said he's gatekeeping an entrance which no one is using anymore.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 08:03:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I feel that will be correct.

Also, his pictures of Black Flag in Mike Muir's garage are some of my favorites ever

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 08:36:59 AM »
Lots being said about this, over here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=109551.0

aaah shit missed that....I don't follow that thread, too much going on. Apparently some "controversy" huh? I really can't say anything till I watch some more!!   :-X

ps: that was in Mike Muir's garage ??! the shots in 'Fuck You Heroes'?

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 12:11:17 PM »

apparently Mike himself peeking in the window

Love these shots though

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 12:17:34 PM »
plus...

the first 2 Suicidal albums are some of my favorites of all time

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 01:12:25 AM »

apparently Mike himself peeking in the window

Love these shots though

thanks had not seen that shot before. This conversation got me going through "Fuck you heroes" and "Fuck you too" yesterday evening, and these shots are kinda explained (they wanted to group ST fans to shoot their t-shirts for the first album's cover and Black Flag offered to play to get people coming! but it does not say this was in Mike's garage...Love the first albums too btw, especially the second one)

Anyways the 2 books floored me again. The amount of seminal moments he was there for is just unbelievable. Dude can talk shit all day long as far as I'm concerned. I listened to about half the podcast and obviously Friedman has a pretty big ego but he's entertaining and I appreciate guys like him who speak their mind. Plus the Supreme rant was on point. This hypebeast culture is straight trash....
Plus he puts his money where his big mouth is. In the "fuck you too" book there is a quote from Russel Simmons who says he offered Friedman "more money than he had ever seen" for a photo shoot, but it was for Coke. And Friedman said "fuck that".

At one point in the Nine Club interview he says he could not be fake, because he was coming from a fairly rich neighborhood and would get smacked by the likes of the Dogtown team if he tried to fake it.... I think that really makes sense when you look at some of his pics and how raw that shit was. He shot King Tee, Ice T, Black Flack Flag, ST and so many others when it was a chaotic, underground and pretty violent scene...
so anyways loving this episode. I just wish they had someone on the show who knows more about music, early hardcore and the Def Jam era. Roberts is just an unbelievably bad interviewer honestly. When Friedman explains how Ice-T came to him because he shot the RUN DMC pics....Roberts asks him how Ice-T knew to come to him! That's precisely what Friedman just explained man! That moment had me shaking my head....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 05:01:45 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

adam22savage

• Rep: -45
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2023, 04:01:23 PM »
i just saw Chuck D on drink champs talking about Glenn E Friedman demanding royalties from Def Jam for his photography inside the album liner. Russel Simmons told him to kindly eat fuck but it's funny that he went for it. sounding like Maury from Goodfellas "Where's my money, Jimmy? I need my money."

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2023, 04:47:17 PM »
This might be the best 9 club ever. Glen is the fucking coolest cat in the history of skating. I fucking love that guy.

I don't like some of his friends tho.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2023, 07:44:11 PM »
Roberts doesn’t need to be good at interviewing because this guy has alot to say….I didn’t mind it…he could have been more self important ans dillusional….it’s times like this that make me like Steve Olsen more for not taking this so seriously and waxing poetic about days gone by…..

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2023, 12:30:24 AM »
i just saw Chuck D on drink champs talking about Glenn E Friedman demanding royalties from Def Jam for his photography inside the album liner. Russel Simmons told him to kindly eat fuck but it's funny that he went for it. sounding like Maury from Goodfellas "Where's my money, Jimmy? I need my money."

Simmons is notoriously shady with money.....trouble with royalties is why the Beastie Boys left Def Jam after their first album. They weren't getting paid even though it was multi-platinum or something.

Anyways I read the other thread about this and the amount of negative reactions here to one of the founders of this shit is pretty depressing to me. Honestly kinda losing interest in Slap at this point. Jorge you summed it up pretty well I guess.

Edit: thinking back on this, I realized it was always in skating's nature to say fuck you to the elders.....(eg the BPSW street generation vs vert dinosaurs) so well, fuck me I guess!!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 12:51:23 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2023, 08:38:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Simmons is notoriously shady with money.....trouble with royalties is why the Beastie Boys left Def Jam after their first album. They weren't getting paid even though it was multi-platinum or something.

Anyways I read the other thread about this and the amount of negative reactions here to one of the founders of this shit is pretty depressing to me. Honestly kinda losing interest in Slap at this point. Jorge you summed it up pretty well I guess.

Edit: thinking back on this, I realized it was always in skating's nature to say fuck you to the elders.....(eg the BPSW street generation vs vert dinosaurs) so well, fuck me I guess!!
I believe his behind-closed-doors nickname was Hustle Scrimmins.

Jon Spencer's drummer was born with a bad name like Dick Butkus.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2023, 09:33:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Also Russell was known for smoking formaldehyde laced blunts, did a lot of cocaine and bullied almost everyone of his employees.  He doesn't even reside in the US because he has a ton of MeToo allegation from past employees waiting.  A lot of Hip hop executives were terrible with artist.   Its rumored that when Jdilla died and Stones Throw released Donuts that Dilla's mom and daughter got barely anything from its sales...sort of why Madlib and a bunch of people stopped fucking with Stones Throw.