Author Topic: Curren Caples for Vans  (Read 10787 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
Re: Curren Caples for Vans
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2023, 03:55:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was in the Skate-Mental-is-lame camp but fuck that. They're so stacked, it just doesn't make sense they're so low-key. But I guess that's exactly the kind of team I'd want to be on. They make fun of all this shit. I can't even think of a single Skate Mental part that takes advantage of what they've got. Imagine a full length with Durao, Andersen, Giorgi, Caples, Curtin. They could take over, if they wanted.
[close]
Skate Mental is the new FA get ready.
[close]

Is he still on Skate Mental?
He’s not listing it as one of his sponsors on his Instagram (he has a big long list of sponsors on there)

SM has been promoting him on their IG in February and I believe they were hyping the part up on their stories.    Would be bummed if he left considering they’re working on a video

HORSES

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2023, 04:03:11 PM »
Nah he hasn't left, I just don't think he's ever updated his bio. Pretty sure he was going to get on 917 prior to the team quitting. Would love to have seen him in the context of a Logan edit.

Skate Mental is a interesting case study in itself, been around for 15 years, Had Shane O'Neill on there for over 7 years, have always had interesting teams/riders, paid none of their riders, laid dormant for a few years, being run out of the back of Staba's pizza shop, now they are dropping boards frequently, one of the more stacked teams going around, while being almost entirely funded by Koston.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 115
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2023, 04:11:35 PM »
Dude skates so fast all the time. He’s charging at rails going Mach 10

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2023, 04:31:01 PM »
Nah he hasn't left, I just don't think he's ever updated his bio. Pretty sure he was going to get on 917 prior to the team quitting. Would love to have seen him in the context of a Logan edit.

Skate Mental is a interesting case study in itself, been around for 15 years, Had Shane O'Neill on there for over 7 years, have always had interesting teams/riders, paid none of their riders, laid dormant for a few years, being run out of the back of Staba's pizza shop, now they are dropping boards frequently, one of the more stacked teams going around, while being almost entirely funded by Koston.

Don’t forget they started as some kind of company under the Crail umbrella.   Can’t remember what/if they made anything

Tabletop

• Rep: -72
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2023, 04:42:38 PM »

So it’s Koston that’s putting the team together?
Makes sense.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2023, 04:43:20 PM »

Durao almost joined 917?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2023, 06:07:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Durao almost joined 917?

That would make more sense, but I read it as they were taking about Curren

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2023, 11:30:45 PM »
Enjoyable to watch, had some tricks from left field in there. Stand outs were hurricane, FS wallie down the set, and the dude's noseblunt game holy shit

But he got one-upped in his own part? That kickflip was an absolute wonder, but Louie chucks 360 flip tail grab immediately after. Thought that was kinda funny. Sick clip like I said.

Any other notable one-ups in parts? B2B or separate clips
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

OwlGreen

• Rep: -126
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2023, 06:05:05 AM »
Curren should nollie tre the hydrant. Though I can more easily imagine Louie doing it.

zahed

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2023, 06:32:01 AM »
i would not be surprised at all if noah clothing grabs him from rvca to join louie. that seems like a pretty natural fit.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2023, 07:01:19 AM »
yah maybe he could head up the noah surf team.....

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2023, 07:19:45 AM »
Enjoyable to watch, had some tricks from left field in there. Stand outs were hurricane, FS wallie down the set, and the dude's noseblunt game holy shit

But he got one-upped in his own part? That kickflip was an absolute wonder, but Louie chucks 360 flip tail grab immediately after. Thought that was kinda funny. Sick clip like I said.

I don’t consider a 360 flip tail grab better than a fast huge floaty kickflip with no grab.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2023, 11:40:24 AM »
i would not be surprised at all if noah clothing grabs him from rvca to join louie. that seems like a pretty natural fit.

Really?  He screams Volcom as a youth/RVCA as a grown person to me

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2023, 01:13:09 PM »
On rewatch really appreciating how wholesome the b-roll is. We’ve got dude throwing rocks, kicking basketballs, hugging his bros and eating cupcakes and quesadillas.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2023, 01:41:19 PM »
He’s very good. Also sick that vans doesn’t give a shit about skaters having guest tricks while blatantly not wearing other brands sneakers (ie louie wearing cons, Jake wearing Nikes). I feel like Guy had a guest trick in aves propellor part but I know Nike and converse would never let a guest trick be in one of their videos by someone in vans. This part was really sick. I feel like skating is easy for this guy. It was cool to see a part where he definitely tried and he comes across like someone who doesn’t need to try. Too many good things to name.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2023, 02:24:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I don’t consider a 360 flip tail grab better than a fast huge floaty kickflip with no grab.

Oh yeah, tell that to Mako Urabe…

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2023, 03:04:20 PM »
He’s very good. Also sick that vans doesn’t give a shit about skaters having guest tricks while blatantly not wearing other brands sneakers (ie louie wearing cons, Jake wearing Nikes). I feel like Guy had a guest trick in aves propellor part but I know Nike and converse would never let a guest trick be in one of their videos by someone in vans. This part was really sick. I feel like skating is easy for this guy. It was cool to see a part where he definitely tried and he comes across like someone who doesn’t need to try. Too many good things to name.

I was thinking about this too, Vans wins some cool-points for this.

switchfakie

« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2023, 03:06:21 PM »
this part was fucked, my gosh

skkrrttt

• Rep: -4
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2023, 03:19:45 PM »

good point, more fun imo

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -482
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2023, 03:33:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Don’t forget they started as some kind of company under the Crail umbrella.   Can’t remember what/if they made anything

It was a board company out of there too. I remember a lot of the talk on here back then being why not just put Shane on girl cause skate mental was pretty random at the time and Shane was clearly the next wunderkind
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2023, 03:44:35 PM »
Didn’t Staba do Ruby through craig prior to skate mental or am I hallucinating that?

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2023, 04:13:06 PM »
On rewatch really appreciating how wholesome the b-roll is. We’ve got dude throwing rocks, kicking basketballs, hugging his bros and eating cupcakes and quesadillas.
Quesadilla clip is the feel-good clip of the year so far

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 116
« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2023, 04:58:38 PM »
Instant rewatch for me. Going to be coming back to this one for awhile. Stoked for Curren, he deserves the shine.
Been a fan for a minute, also posting this to remind everyone how much he crushed it at the bunt jam

|__   o\
| W      \O
|           |\_
|         /-\
|       /     \
|      \_____/
|       o    o
|
Would definitely gnar you for the keyboard drawing if I could

Sammich

• Rep: 2
« Reply #143 on: March 26, 2023, 07:21:33 PM »
Late to the party, but damn son.

opesorry

• Rep: 21
« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2023, 07:48:41 PM »
Part was incredible. The slam on the 50-50 gap out over the stairs was crazy, could have been worse. Has that been done before? I recognized the spot from Beagle Tapes, Nuge took a fucking brutal slam trying it frontside but not sure if anyone’s done it since then, I probably just missed it.

14 minute mark -

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 116
« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2023, 08:45:39 PM »
Part was incredible. The slam on the 50-50 gap out over the stairs was crazy, could have been worse. Has that been done before? I recognized the spot from Beagle Tapes, Nuge took a fucking brutal slam trying it frontside but not sure if anyone’s done it since then, I probably just missed it.

14 minute mark -
Dan Lu landed a frontside one in propeller. Pretty crazy he did it like 8 years ago
1:49

opesorry

• Rep: 21
« Reply #146 on: March 26, 2023, 09:33:37 PM »
Expand Quote

14 minute mark -
[close]
Dan Lu landed a frontside one in propeller. Pretty crazy he did it like 8 years ago

Thank you! Yeah, and nuge tried it in 2012 so I would have been surprised if no one had done it until now.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #147 on: March 26, 2023, 09:43:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

14 minute mark -
[close]

[close]

Thank you! Yeah, and nuge tried it in 2012 so I would have been surprised if no one had done it until now.
axel also boardslid it all the way down as well. mason silva feebled it.

edit:

2:16

5:15
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 09:51:29 PM by shouldn't »

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2023, 10:49:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone else get some Dylan. gravis vibes? The fits and many of the tricks, especially the frontside heel, were bringing up some nostalgia
[close]

Honestly yea. Anybody doing a few of the iconic clips, in this case a proper big ass front heel on a bump to bar is gonna trigger Dylan nostalgia. I sense that checkered slip on sales will see a sharp uptick. Vans is also starting to kinda develop the reputation of dropping fire edits. Alright, Okay and now this. Hope they keep it up.

More of a Dylan in a time to shine to me,
Striped t shirts, cali park footage, surf style.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2023, 12:50:15 AM »
Didn’t Staba do Ruby through craig prior to skate mental or am I hallucinating that?

Yeah that’s probably what I was thinking instead of SM.  Ruby never seemed to make anything.  I guess it’s Ruby Ropa now and is an outlet for Megan Baltimore to do female clothes?   But they still don’t seem to make or market a lot