Author Topic: Curren Caples for Vans  (Read 10788 times)

opesorry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
Re: Curren Caples for Vans
« Reply #150 on: March 27, 2023, 06:06:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Part was incredible. The slam on the 50-50 gap out over the stairs was crazy, could have been worse. Has that been done before? I recognized the spot from Beagle Tapes, Nuge took a fucking brutal slam trying it frontside but not sure if anyone’s done it since then, I probably just missed it.

14 minute mark -
[close]
Dan Lu landed a frontside one in propeller. Pretty crazy he did it like 8 years ago
1:49

[close]

Thank you! Yeah, and nuge tried it in 2012 so I would have been surprised if no one had done it until now.
[close]
axel also boardslid it all the way down as well. mason silva feebled it.

edit:

2:16

5:15

Damn, the feeble pop out is pretty nuts

Coldpizza

• Rep: 165
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2023, 06:57:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone else get some Dylan. gravis vibes? The fits and many of the tricks, especially the frontside heel, were bringing up some nostalgia
[close]

Honestly yea. Anybody doing a few of the iconic clips, in this case a proper big ass front heel on a bump to bar is gonna trigger Dylan nostalgia. I sense that checkered slip on sales will see a sharp uptick. Vans is also starting to kinda develop the reputation of dropping fire edits. Alright, Okay and now this. Hope they keep it up.
[close]

More of a Dylan in a time to shine to me,
Striped t shirts, cali park footage, surf style.
That’s exactly what it is. I honestly watched that part after. His bigflip ender is just perfect.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2023, 02:52:47 AM »
didn't have time to read all the previous pages so chances are sombody already shared the same opinion.

I feel like he was always kinda underwhelming when i saw footage in videos. not that the tricks were weak by any means. i KNOW he has been ripping ever since being a lil grom on flip but kinda always fell victim to the edit or something. like in propeller with the instrumental was kinda in between/ filler part with the instrumental track.

After the barn burner of a bunt episode where he came of really cool (far as i can remember) it's cool to see his abilities on a board in a proper light!
Might needa watch that part like 10 more times

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2023, 11:38:02 AM »
He’s very good. Also sick that vans doesn’t give a shit about skaters having guest tricks while blatantly not wearing other brands sneakers (ie louie wearing cons, Jake wearing Nikes). I feel like Guy had a guest trick in aves propellor part but I know Nike and converse would never let a guest trick be in one of their videos by someone in vans. This part was really sick. I feel like skating is easy for this guy. It was cool to see a part where he definitely tried and he comes across like someone who doesn’t need to try. Too many good things to name.
Had this exact same thought seeing Jake Anderson rolling by and then Louie’s guest trick. Refreshing to see a big shoe brand let that go and throw in a guest clip we’d all like to see, no way in hell Nike’s doing that. Makes me think about some of the people who work at Nike and let you into the park in Portland being bummed on anyone wearing different shoes and offering you Nikes to skate in. Like dude it’s a fucking private skatepark. Heard from friends that Adidas people get all weird when anyone visiting the Adidas HQ not wearing Adidas even though they’re just a guest with no ties to the brand. I’d almost expect that in some other wealthy elite culture but not skateboarding. Corporate allegiance is weird.

Aaaanyways this part was great. Favorite thing I’ve seen from Karen, will watch again

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2023, 06:44:35 PM »
I can see why you might compare this to Dylan's Gravis part, but I hate it, I disagree, and I wish you hadn't pointed it out

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2023, 07:27:15 PM »
I can see why you might compare this to Dylan's Gravis part, but I hate it, I disagree, and I wish you hadn't pointed it out

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #156 on: March 29, 2023, 12:34:56 PM »
i feel like the lesson of the last 3 years was the the SoCal park skater xgames kids were in fact better and more stylish than everyone - and always have been -- they just all needed to leave Flip and rebrand with vintage hats and pants with wide leg openings for it to translate

they are better than everyone. sick sick part

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 133
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #157 on: March 29, 2023, 01:22:12 PM »
Damn that was a good watch. This is the Curren part we've been promised since his days as park prodigy. Wasn't the sure the day would ever come.
That overpass wallie must have made a sick photo, anyone have it?

Seconded. That would be a great photo. That spot is pretty close to my house and it's pretty crazy, drops down onto a super busy boulevard and is next to an elevated 210 off ramp.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #158 on: March 29, 2023, 02:01:09 PM »
i feel like the lesson of the last 3 years was the the SoCal park skater xgames kids were in fact better and more stylish than everyone - and always have been -- they just all needed to leave Flip and rebrand with vintage hats and pants with wide leg openings for it to translate

Kinda crazy that Curren, Mason and Louie have all known each other since they were practically toddlers.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 116
« Reply #159 on: March 29, 2023, 02:04:52 PM »

Now I'm wondering if we'll get a good Alec Majerus part and rebrand. I think his away days part shows it's possible

Lucky_Basek

• Rep: 55
« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2023, 03:03:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Enjoyable to watch, had some tricks from left field in there. Stand outs were hurricane, FS wallie down the set, and the dude's noseblunt game holy shit

But he got one-upped in his own part? That kickflip was an absolute wonder, but Louie chucks 360 flip tail grab immediately after. Thought that was kinda funny. Sick clip like I said.

Any other notable one-ups in parts? B2B or separate clips
[close]
I don’t consider a 360 flip tail grab better than a fast huge floaty kickflip with no grab.
[close]

Oh yeah, tell that to Mako Urabe…

Hell yes!
Love Mako Urabe!

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #161 on: March 30, 2023, 11:19:21 AM »
Part of the year so far.

sometimes his style looked like peak massimo cavedoni in this part. the second gif here as an example
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

johnficenec

• Rep: -21
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #162 on: March 30, 2023, 01:47:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Part of the year so far.

[close]

sometimes his style looked like peak massimo cavedoni in this part. the second gif here as an example

wow. haven't heard massimo mentioned in a minute! great reminder to watch this part: